O/T Uruguay v Ghana

O/T Uruguay v Ghana

Postby Keith » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:06 pm

Missing a penalty as the last kick of the game! How gutting is that? He'll probably have to take another one now in the penalty shoot-out!

Come on Ghana!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Re: O/T Uruguay v Ghana

Postby Keith » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:19 pm

Poor Asamoah Gyan. That will haunt him for years. Amazing bottle to stand up and take the first penalty in the shoot-out but poor bloke...
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Fallowfield Shrimp » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:24 pm

I know. He had a great game too. Just shows what pressure does to you. He knew that they were going through to the semis uf he put it in. But as you say to step up 1st in the shoot out showed immense bottle. Great pen too. Why didn't he do that the 1st time.

I'd quite like to see that Uruguayan banned for another match. His actions have kept his side in the tournament when they should really be out. Oh well!
Fallowfield Shrimp

Postby scar » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:31 pm

Shock Horror, a South American uses his hand to change the course of a game!

Felt for the Ghanans, the deserved the win without a doubt.
scar

Postby halftimeresults » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:44 pm

Fallowfield Shrimp wrote:I know. He had a great game too. Just shows what pressure does to you. He knew that they were going through to the semis uf he put it in. But as you say to step up 1st in the shoot out showed immense bottle. Great pen too. Why didn't he do that the 1st time.

I'd quite like to see that Uruguayan banned for another match. His actions have kept his side in the tournament when they should really be out. Oh well!

sorry but why should the Uruguayan get another match ban?
sending off and a penalty is more than enough off a advantage for Ghana.
If anything the Uruguayan is a hero.
halftimeresults

Postby shrimpnsave » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:54 pm

scar wrote:Shock Horror, a South American uses his hand to change the course of a game!

Felt for the Ghanans, the deserved the win without a doubt.

err they lost and thats that....
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby halftimeresults » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:00 pm

and they knew the rules before the game, if you hand ball on the line preventing a goal scoring chance it results in sending off,1 game ban
halftimeresults

Postby james456 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:36 pm

By cheating - and actually suffering the full consequences of his actions as per the rules of the game - his team has still benefitted which is completely unjust.

Ghana were denied a definite goal because of the opposition cheating and the repercussions were that they had a chance to get the goal that was taken from them and suarez was suspended from a game he was never going to play in had he not cheated...
james456

Postby marky No.1 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:58 pm

In the Premier League Forlan was on the sidelines and couldn't get a game cos an Englishman was so much better. In the World Cup........ :? :? :? :?
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Plain Peter » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:53 am

james456 wrote:By cheating - and actually suffering the full consequences of his actions as per the rules of the game - his team has still benefitted which is completely unjust.

Ghana were denied a definite goal because of the opposition cheating and the repercussions were that they had a chance to get the goal that was taken from them and suarez was suspended from a game he was never going to play in had he not cheated...

He didn't cheat, it was a simple blatant foul, that unfortunately denied Ghana an absolutely certain match-winning goal. Suarez is getting the statutory punishment.
But it's another law that needs looking at. Referees, in very important matches, should have the discretion to award penalty goals.
As for the penalty attempt. If the crossbar had been 6 inches higher the pill would have been in the roof of the net :lol:
Plain Peter

Postby marky No.1 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:57 am

Yes it must have been a difficult pill to swallow
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby durhamshrimp » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:56 am

He might not have been a cheat but they were cheated.
durhamshrimp

Postby Plain Peter » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:16 am

durhamshrimp wrote:He might not have been a cheat but they were cheated.

All part of the game DS :roll:
The rules need looking at so that a team is never denied an absolutely certain goal again by a bog standard hand-ball.
Plain Peter

Postby Bare Ben » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:22 am

What other professional wouldn't do the same? It's nice to see somebody put their country first and do whatever it takes to ensure his team get through. Comparing it to the 'hand of god' is just daft.
Bare Ben

Postby shrimper » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:27 am

The attacking team gets a penalty AND the player is automatically sent off. In most cases that would be seen as ample punishment for such 'cheating' as the offending team 'should' concede a goal and be down to ten men.

Just unfortunate that this happened right at the end so the sending off was of little benefit to Ghana, but I don't know how you can sensibly legislate for that.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Plain Peter » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:25 am

shrimper wrote:Just unfortunate that this happened right at the end so the sending off was of little benefit to Ghana, but I don't know how you can sensibly legislate for that.

Peter wrote:The rules need looking at so that a team is never denied an absolutely certain goal again by a bog standard hand-ball.

Peter wrote:But it's another law that needs looking at. Referees, in very important matches, should have the discretion to award penalty goals.
Plain Peter

Postby shrimper » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:56 am

Aye - fair play, Peter I skimmed through and hadn't spotted you suggesting that. I don't think you could only do it for 'important' games but that'd certainly be worth looking at.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Return to General Discussion