Christie Park R.I.P.

Christie Park R.I.P.

Postby thedoc » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:53 am

Hi.

Aided and abetted by the administrator of this site, I have joined Flickr and posted various photos of the demolition of the old shrine under the heading Christie Park.R.I.P. - just enter this in the search box and bob's your uncle. Er - hopefully...

I took these photos in April, May and June this year. The first lot of photos was after the league game against the Daggers on 24th April - the last game I expected ever to see at Crusty because I would be away for the Aldershot game. I remember at the time thinking how weird it would be to pass the site next year and find no trace whatsoever of a place which so many of us have so many memories of - in my case, stretching back no less than a half a century. Freakily, when I returned to take the second lot of photos on a freezing cold wet grey day during May, I met someone much older than me who has lived across the road from the ground for longer than she cared to remember. Her sense of loss as Christie Park was literally being reduced to rubble before her eyes made me feel as gloomy as the weather. Yes, we all know that the move to the Globe Arena is a big move in the right direction but...

Anyway - I went back to what little is left of the ground yesterday (Sunday 27th June 2010) to find what I expected to occur sometime in the next few months to have already happened: there is no sign (other than a few of the old hoardings) that there had ever been a football ground on this site.

How strange is that?

Please share your thoughts...
thedoc

Re: Christie Park R.I.P.

Postby Duffman » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:00 am

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51525277@N05/

If you're DrRog the above is a link to your photostream.
Duffman

Postby Keith » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:14 pm

If you click here, you will see the images as a slideshow
:cry:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/51525277@N ... 1130/show/

I went past last week for first time since Dagenham game. I was going to get out and have a look but decided to just carry on driving :(
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby drinkduffbeers » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:49 pm

Very sad to see the welcome to Christe Park sign trashed ( photo 19) If I'd known it was to be scrapped I'd have salvaged it myself.Sadly I never enquired as I though it was safe and had allready been accounted for. :cry:
drinkduffbeers

Postby thedoc » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:29 am

This link should get you to the Christie Park stuff now:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51525277@N05/sets/72157624371551130/
thedoc

Postby marky No.1 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:44 am

Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Return to General Discussion