EURO 2008

EURO 2008

Postby heysham_mfc » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:58 pm

thought I would post the first football topic who do we think is going to win the final Spain for me
heysham_mfc

Re: EURO 2008

Postby slackAlice » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:04 am

heysham_mfc wrote:thought I would post the first football topic who do we think is going to win the final Spain for me

I'd like to see Spain win it - but them Germans have a habit of playing sh*te and winning things - uncanny.
For what its worth I think its been a cracking tournament , probably the better because England were'nt there; all the endless discussions about what they might, could, should , will do and waiting for things to 'kick off' with opposing fans, police, local bar owners or anybody in the vicinity.

I think every other nation must a breathed a great sigh of relief when England did'nt qualify. :roll:
slackAlice

Postby marky No.1 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:31 am

I have backed Spain from the beginning of the tournament so i'm happy with my 4/1 shot. they appear to be 6/5 favourites now but we know what these German teams are like :|
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Raeyes » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:00 pm

6/5 to win the tournament? What price are Germany? If Spain are the favourites then you know what kind of bet that is in a two horse race! Positive odds, meaning that if you back both you can't fail to win Money!
Raeyes

Postby Keith » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:21 pm

I hope Spain win, they've played much better than the Germans but to be honest, I've barely watched it, I think I've probably seen three matches, so I have missed England, or even one of the other home nations.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Joel Ninety » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:22 pm

I can see Germany winning it, however Spain would be my choice.
Joel Ninety

Postby marky No.1 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:23 pm

yeah the catch is........ they have to win in 90 mins! Ladbrokes have Spain at 6/5, Germany at 11/5 and 9/5 for the draw......To win the tournament full stop Spain are 4/7 and Germany 5/4....

My original bet was 4/1 to win the tournament full stop... so the odds are now 4/7 :D
marky No.1

Postby Raeyes » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:46 pm

I'd like Spain to win. Aside from being the best side throughout the tournament I also have them in the works sweepstake. If they win I'll net £20 which works out at 9/1 which must be the best odds you could have got on Spain. Then again I could have pulled out Romania, which would have also been 9/1, probably the shortest price you would have gott them for!
Raeyes

Postby Harry » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:09 pm

I'm glad that both teams have played decent football for the majority of the tournament and I hope this carries through to the final, saying that I'd like to see Spain win something for a change and realise their potential.
Harry

Postby Shire Shrimp » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:10 pm

I hope Spain can do it, most impressive & consistant team in the tournament IMO. But I think Germany will grind out a slim victory, probably late on in the 90 mins. You've got to admire their organisation and team spirit. Really hope Spain do it though!

On a side note, biggest disappointment for me this tournament was the Portugese, had them down to make the semis at least. France seem to be the new 'England' with so many names but no end product!
Shire Shrimp

Postby Wednesdayite » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:24 pm

I'd like to see spain win it as theyve played the more attractive football although the germins do have a knack of grinding out important results like these...close call
Exiled Yorkshireman
Wednesdayite

Postby Freez » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:41 pm

I drew the cabbage crunching sausage noshers (quote from any Victor comic war story) in the school sweep, yet still want Spain to win despite the financial pain if that happens.

Spain have been consistently the most attack minded and free flowing and have taken a decent Russion side apart twice in the last three weeks.

So, in this tournament where as soon as a side hit form they lose, it's the Germans!!

Bugger! :roll:
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby Frobi » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:54 pm

Ive been tipping Germany since the beggining euro 2008, only on the basis that they always seem to have relativly easy groups and seem to get to the semis at least most of the tornaments over the past couple of decades! Watching them though, I think they have played very well and fully deserve to be in the final and think they'll just scrape it as I think they are better defensivly than spain are and are a well disiplined team.
Saying all this I'd still rather see spain win, but my gut instinct says its going to be Germany!
Frobi

Postby Martin » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:09 pm

Germany will feel fate is on their side having got away with it in the Semi Final.

Spain have played the better, more attractive, football throughout the tournament so I hope they continue that and run rings round a side that can look very ordinary.

A couple more gaffes by Lehmann would do the trick!

Spain to win for me but you just never know with Germany
Martin

Postby Mental-Jeebys » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:26 am

Hopefully it will be Spain. I'll go with Torres 1st goal, Spain win 2-1.

Even without England taking part, its still been a very good Euro 2008!

Best player so far? Arshavin looked class, Deco and Ballack also. Senna for Spain has been excellent and hopefully he'll end up on the winning side.
Mental-Jeebys

Postby shrimper » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:43 pm

I agree it's been a hugely enjoyable tournament possibly, as has been said, moreso because we weren't in it so we can just sit back and enjoy the games without worrying about how each one affects us.

I tipped Spain (as did many) at the start but, because I don't bet large amounts, couldn't see much value in the odds so didn't bet them. I got Turkey each way and they gave me a good run for my money before being robbed in the semis. Love Spain to win it now and I think they will. I'm tempted to stick enough on Spain to cover what I would have won had I backed them at the start but I'd be trebly cheesed off then if, as they well might, the Germans scab another one on penalties.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby SPARKYM » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:20 pm

Spain for me But a bigger German crowd , 40000 towels on seats already :lol: :lol: :roll:
SPARKYM

Postby Blackburn shrimp » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:24 pm

Got to go with spain Germanys defence looks a bit dodgy and Fabregas could be the player to take them apart with a bit of luck
Blackburn shrimp

Postby lauralou_mfc » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:15 am

Spain to win 3-2 for me
lauralou_mfc

Postby mounse mk2 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:48 am

Spain to win 2-1. Iniesta to score first.

The way they kept the ball against the Russians in the semi was fantastic.

I've really enjoyed the tournament without England or any of the host nations. As much as i will hope that England qualify for the next world cup, it will be a lot less stressful if they don't.
When i look deep in your eyes
I swear i can see your soul
mounse mk2

Postby marky No.1 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:58 am

mounse mk2 wrote:I've really enjoyed the tournament without England or any of the host nations. As much as i will hope that England qualify for the next world cup, it will be a lot less stressful if they don't.

Correct BUT i don't think the pubs, sports kit sellers and St. Georges flag makers will be very happy - if there are any left :roll:
marky No.1

Postby slackAlice » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:13 pm

marky No.1 wrote:
mounse mk2 wrote:I've really enjoyed the tournament without England or any of the host nations. As much as i will hope that England qualify for the next world cup, it will be a lot less stressful if they don't.

Correct BUT i don't think the pubs, sports kit sellers and St. Georges flag makers will be very happy - if there are any left :roll:

I personally think the positives far outway the negatives - people will find other things to spend their money on - I couldn't careless about 'flag makers' & 'sports kit sellers' ; the pubs I have some sympathy for but there already suffering with the price of ale anyway.

But the Euro 2008 tournament has been excellent from an 'armchair' sports fan point of view - made me wish I was there watching some of the matches. I'm English but I have never watched any England football team and have no desire to do so- it does nothing for me at all - they have had good times but in my life time they've been overated sh1te. This is the 1st time I can remember watching a major footy tournament on TV without being bombarded by Englands 'could do's' and 'will do's' and 'might do's' and getting every man and his dog to bull up Englands chances of winning the dam thing or getting foreign pundits to tell everybody just how full of talent England really are. The only thing missing of course is 'passion' like other nations Croatia / Turkey have in bucketfuls.
So forget the commercial side of things for a moment - the Euro 2008 has been excellent because all the top teams have been there and as far as I know there hasn't been any real trouble with any sets of fans thus far.
slackAlice

Postby Muzzer » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:59 pm

come on spain! unluckly for the germans that fabregas is most probably starting due to villa's injury, and everytime he came on he's torn each team to bits

but it's one of those games i can see Germans winning
I can win a game of connect four in three moves ;)
Muzzer

Postby Sammy h » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:26 pm

Muzzer wrote:come on spain! unluckly for the germans that fabregas is most probably starting due to villa's injury, and everytime he came on he's torn each team to bits

But you are Fabregas :o :lol: :lol:

I predict a 2-1 victory for the Spaniards.
Sammy h

Postby Muzzer » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:47 pm

Sammy h wrote:
Muzzer wrote:come on spain! unluckly for the germans that fabregas is most probably starting due to villa's injury, and everytime he came on he's torn each team to bits

But you are Fabregas :o :lol: :lol:

I predict a 2-1 victory for the Spaniards.

haha i wont deny it, but im sure ive got the better touch :roll: :roll: :lol:
I can win a game of connect four in three moves ;)
Muzzer

Next

Return to General Discussion