Spelling police

Spelling police

Postby Posh » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:04 pm

I'm sure this will cause a bit of controversy but I've taken it upon myself to amend some incorrect spelling on Shrimpsvoices.

I'm really not bothered about incorrect spelling or grammar in replies to threads (however even then I've edited one four word message in which three of them were spelt incorrectly to such an extent it made almost no sense).

However in some new threads I have corrected the titles and in two cases the content. In my view threads titled, 'wot wedoin Satadi' sitting next to a thread titled 'i jus meks me sick' make us collectively look like a bunch of morons. Sorry if that offends those who make the errors but if we're expect to participate in debate then it should be started in a way that makes sense.

If SV users, my fellow mods or Keith as new SV emperor aren't happy I'll leave it as it is.

P.S. I'm sure that there is a couple of grammatical errors in this post and I also know my fellow mods could take the urine by editing this, which I'm certain they won't because they're all really mature (except Aspers).
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Re: Spelling police

Postby Christies Child » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:12 pm

wot du u meen?

I've always had problems with Loose and Lose....Where and Were...There and Their
Last edited by Christies Child on Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby bunny » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:14 pm

Christies Child wrote:wot du u meen?

:lol: You so did 'that on purpose!.
bunny

Postby marky » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:47 pm

I must admit, I loathe txt spk :P In the olden days, mobiles had limited text character space so shortening words was necessary. The next generation of phones allowed you to write longer messages but many companies would charge you extra. In recent years, however, it usually doesn't matter how long a text is (on more modern phones) so the need for txt spk isn't as great :P I certainly don't think it's necessary on a forum, but hey ho. I'm probably on my own :P
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby Bare Ben » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:28 pm

Gerat Ieda Psoh!! But did you konw taht you can jlbume all the ltretes in the mldide and keep olny the fsrit and lsat in all the wdros in a sncente and you culod siltl wrok it out?? ;)
Bare Ben

Postby Keith » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:50 pm

marky wrote:but hey ho. I'm probably on my own :P

Oh don't worry, text speak is a good way to get a ban! I'm a crap speller (low grade dyslexic). My Mac highlights incorrect words as I go along. If I'm writing a message on the PC, I'll write it in Word, correct it, then cut & paste it into the message. This takes a few seconds longer. An odd spelling error is one thing, not being able to give a toss is something totally different.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Castaway » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:53 pm

I'm sure this will cause a bit of controversy but I've taken it upon myself to amend some incorrect spelling on Shrimpsvoices.

Jesus... you looser!
Castaway

Postby Moose » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:30 pm

Castaway wrote:

Jesus... you looser!

Hope he'll let a few get past....
Moose

Postby Moose » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:32 pm

Or should that be passed? ;)
Moose

Postby Keith » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:55 pm

Moose wrote:Or should that be passed? ;)

Their wont bee much time left four posh too do anything else...
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Posh » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:12 am

Keith wrote:
Moose wrote:Or should that be passed? ;)

Their wont bee much time left four posh too do anything else...

In the same way as I can't improve spelling or grammar I can't do anything about people's ability to read. ;) As I said I'm only willing to amend thread titles and, where absolutely necessary, content in the opening message. Other than that you can make as many ferk oops is yer wunt.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby skyecat » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:27 pm

We get told about the increased pass rates in exams and then the simple issue of there, their and they`re comes up - along with lose and loose or where and were - then people wonder why we think exams are getting easier.
The best mind-altering drug is the truth - Lily Tomlin
skyecat

Postby Keith » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:11 am

skyecat wrote:We get told about the increased pass rates in exams and then the simple issue of there, their and they`re comes up - along with lose and loose or where and were - then people wonder why we think exams are getting easier.

I left school quite a while ago not able to get 'there' & 'their' right. I was well in to adult life (and qualified as a nurse!) when I suddenly 'noticed' that 'over there' was 'here' with a 't' in front of it, why didn't they teach it to me like that??? At school I used to spell there/their in different ways in the same essay so that I could get it right once!

Keith
Site Admin

Postby marky » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:41 pm

There, their and they're are words that many people will always confuse.
marky

Postby heysham_mfc » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:17 pm

sum of the spelin on her iz veri bad
heysham_mfc

Postby skyecat » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:27 pm

marky wrote:There, their and they're are words that many people will always confuse.

They're is not a difficult one to work out - look for the apostrophe ' and note that it is in place of a letter - in this case "a" - making the now two words; they are which makes more sense - so with the (t)here system, it only leaves "their" - which means something belonging to someone -
They're sitting over there drinking their beer.

Sorry if i come across as pedantic - i don't mean to - probably too much red wine!
skyecat

Postby marky » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:37 pm

That's simply not true. I've seen many examples where people have written, for example, "there going to the football today".
marky

Postby Aspers » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:59 am

i'm a grate speller.
Aspers

Postby badger » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:31 am

Ive always struggled with spelling and this goes along with low self esteme as with many dyslexic sufferers .I get help sometimes in putting across what i want to say ( like now) . Please dont let it put you off if you have read this email from the 'spelling police' and you are struggling with dyslexia too . I understand. Dont let someones insensitivity stop you trying to express yourself.Its not school after all .......
badger

Postby CASS » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:53 am

badger wrote:Ive always struggled with spelling and this goes along with low self esteme as with many dyslexic sufferers .I get help sometimes in putting across what i want to say ( like now) . Please dont let it put you off if you have read this email from the 'spelling police' and you are struggling with dyslexia too . I understand. Dont let someones insensitivity stop you trying to express yourself.Its not school after all .......

Well said, I have worked with people who academically where brilliant,but struggled to know which foot to move next when walking. I have worked with engineering boffins who could not use a screwdriver. We are NOT all the same,and people excel at different things,and if some one has literacy problems so what!. I am not a lover of pulling people up over some grammatical or speeling error. No sir.I understand why Posh altered the Titles of some threads,should have perhaps done it quietly. As for spelling "left click" if you get a red line.
Off to the Yoke know Too se Mic. :?
http://nbutalad.blogspot.com/
Reflections of a grand l'al spot.
CASS

Postby badger » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:05 pm

cheers.. a very supportive message..Spell check is not very useful for dyslexics as there are often too many choices and I don’t know which is right or wrong.
badger

Postby Mark S » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:10 pm

Posh wrote:I'm sure this will cause a bit of controversy but I've taken it upon myself to amend some incorrect spelling on Shrimpsvoices.

I'm really not bothered about incorrect spelling or grammar in replies to threads (however even then I've edited one four word message in which three of them were spelt incorrectly to such an extent it made almost no sense).

However in some new threads I have corrected the titles and in two cases the content. In my view threads titled, 'wot wedoin Satadi' sitting next to a thread titled 'i jus meks me sick' make us collectively look like a bunch of morons. Sorry if that offends those who make the errors but if we're expect to participate in debate then it should be started in a way that makes sense.

To be fair if you read Posh's message again, he is more concerned with lazy text speak, especially in a thread title. He specifically mentioned that he didnt mean incorrect spelling or grammar. He wouldnt want to upset anyone, I am sure.
Mark S

Postby skyecat » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:42 pm

and in all honesty, i'm not bothered about people who are dyslexic or not that great at spelling, i have to say that i don't like text speak too much, not even when texting! but certainly not when typing or writing.
The point i was making was the exam results - increased pass rates etc, maybe i'm just bitter at getting a D in English Language and a D in literature! :D
skyecat

Postby Keith » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:19 pm

skyecat wrote:.. maybe i'm just bitter at getting a D in English Language and a D in literature! :D

Don't worry, I got Unclassified in both.

...and 'U' in Chemistry, Geography, Maths...

'D' in Computer Studies
'C' Physics.

Have I mentioned how much I loved school???

On here, there is a massive difference between 'text speak' or 'can't be arsed' and people making an effort to put across what they want despite some difficulties.

Keith
Site Admin

Postby CASS » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:32 pm

Mark S wrote:
Posh wrote:I'm sure this will cause a bit of controversy but I've taken it upon myself to amend some incorrect spelling on Shrimpsvoices.

To be fair if you read Posh's message again, he is more concerned with lazy text speak, especially in a thread title. He specifically mentioned that he didnt mean incorrect spelling or grammar. He wouldnt want to upset anyone, I am sure.

I am all for total eradication of text speak,sitting here after several "consoling" neck oil's @ M.C.C. and getting all "Kopperberg'd" up @ home prior to the late shift down @ the "Dyke and Badger"( Dangerous Bro's) O err I will edit this later as I cannot recall what the point of this post was. :oops: :roll:
http://nbutalad.blogspot.com/
Reflections of a grand l'al spot.
CASS

Next

Return to General Discussion