Sky Sports News pulled from Freeview

Sky Sports News pulled from Freeview

Postby Mighty Red » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:02 am

CC was right. The end of the world is nigh.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/10346894.stm
Mighty Red

Re: Sky Sports News pulled from Freeview

Postby Christies Child » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:55 pm

Mighty Red wrote:CC was right. The end of the world is nigh.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/10346894.stm

Greedy bustards!

As if Sky don't take enough in fees.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Morecambe Player » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:06 pm

There's a few facebook groups, this one seems to have the most members so far so join if you want.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=2233844105

Like I said to someone else, every Sky subscriber most probably has another TV in the house where they will watch SSN, so you can only imagine that they want people to opt for Sky Multiroom or to get them to subscribe per se. Very greedy if you ask me and does nothing for their current subscribers who will feel very let down.
Morecambe Player

Postby P/T Indie » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:21 pm

Morecambe Player wrote:There's a few facebook groups, this one seems to have the most members so far so join if you want.

Like I said to someone else, every Sky subscriber most probably has another TV in the house where they will watch SSN, so you can only imagine that they want people to opt for Sky Multiroom or to get them to subscribe per se. Very greedy if you ask me and does nothing for their current subscribers who will feel very let down.

Yeah it sure is a pain it's not like now you can leave the Mrs with the remote and run off into the other room for a couple of hours peace while watching SSN especially of an evening when there is a full fixture list on.

and not to mentin all the football clubs who only had freeview for Soccer saturday and not sky like we did in JB's.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby marky No.1 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:43 pm

P/T Indie wrote:
Morecambe Player wrote:There's a few facebook groups, this one seems to have the most members so far so join if you want.

Yeah it sure is a pain it's not like now you can leave the Mrs with the remote and run off into the other room for a couple of hours peace while watching SSN especially of an evening when there is a full fixture list on.

and not to mentin all the football clubs who only had freeview for Soccer saturday and not sky like we did in JB's.

Quite a few bars/pubs and grounds rely on SSN pre match/ half time and full time :(
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Posh » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:13 pm

marky No.1 wrote:
P/T Indie wrote:

Quite a few bars/pubs and grounds rely on SSN pre match/ half time and full time :(

If anyone wants to know why Sky want to charge for SSN please read everything above this sentence. Sky won't make a u-turn because they don't have to.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Keith » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:02 pm

It was never on Freesat anyway.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby heysham_mfc » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:23 pm

whats sky 3+1?
heysham_mfc

Postby outsider » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:25 pm

heysham_mfc wrote:whats sky 3+1?

same as sky3 only 1 hr later
All posts posted under "Outsider" are my own personal views.

DILLIGAF

Viva la Revolution

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
outsider

Postby heysham_mfc » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:26 pm

outsider wrote:
heysham_mfc wrote:whats sky 3+1?

same as sky3 only 1 hr later

oh :x
heysham_mfc

Postby P/T Indie » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:57 pm

If anyone wants to know why Sky want to charge for SSN please read everything above this sentence. Sky won't make a u-turn because they don't have to.[/quote]

Yeah to be fair I am supprised it was ever on freeview and I just hope they at least keep it on the basic sky package and not put it on the sports package.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby Richard Head » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:50 am

I dumped my Sky Sports package 18 months ago and wont miss Sky Sports News when they take it off Freeview. There isnt enough news to fill a 24 hour channel so they pad it out by repeating every hour or wheeling on some old has been to give his opinion.

One thing i've always wondered about news channels in general is why they need 2 presenters. One of them reads a few lines out and then has a rest while the other one takes over to read the next few lines. Is it too tiring for one presenter to do it all?
Richard Head

Postby durhamshrimp » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:34 pm

Sky sports news is boring most of the time apart from Soccer Saturday. As for pubs they can just put score interactive on BBC red button if they want the scores on a saturday.
durhamshrimp

Postby heysham_mfc » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:32 pm

It is though usefull if you have been out all day and want to catch up on anything you may have missed boring though when they just repeat the same news
heysham_mfc

Postby Rob » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:23 pm

P/T Indie wrote:
Posh wrote:If anyone wants to know why Sky want to charge for SSN please read everything above this sentence. Sky won't make a u-turn because they don't have to.

Yeah to be fair I am supprised it was ever on freeview and I just hope they at least keep it on the basic sky package and not put it on the sports package.

I thought the whole point of SSN was as an advert for Sky's premium sports channels, it allowed huge amounts of hype and build up to 'Super Sunday - Wolves vs Stoke' etc. The best example of this is how little coverage it gives to Formula One, despite being a sport that regularly gets bigger audiences than live football, however, because it's not in Sky's interest to hype or promote it they don't cover it.

I am surprised it has come of Freeview and would be amazed if it came of the basic Sky package as I doubt many people would actively subscribe to have it and it would lose its marketing purpose.
Rob

Return to General Discussion