No link road

Re: No link road

Postby Richard Head » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:58 pm

Gnasher wrote:
Richard Head wrote:I had to travel south on the M6 today and setting off at 8.30 this morning it took me 10 minutes to get from Torrisholme to junction 34. How much quicker would the £140 million proposed to be spent on the link road make that journey, 5 minutes at the most. Hardly value for money.

I regularly have to travel from Scotforth to Torrisholme about 4.30 in the afternoon. This never takes more than 15 minutes by car (25 minutes by bus and 40 minutes if i walk). That doesnt seem an excessive amount of time to me.

That would be a perfect run then, not slowing down for roundabouts, corners or traffic lights assuming you stuck to speed limits. Somehow I doubt that at 8:30am. It takes me longer than that at 6am, same route. When I'm working in Lancaster, it takes me a good 20 minutes around 8am to get to Kingsway. That's not the worst case, that's the average. Journey home around 5pm, at least another 20 minutes but more often 30.

I look forward to driving towards the M6 to get on the link road and back to Morecambe.

My route was down Torrisholme Road, slowed down for mini roundabouts by the Spar shop, turned right through Ryelands, held up for a couple of minutes queueing to get out onto Morecambe Road, not much traffic after that, stuck to the speed limit the whole way, almost exactly 10 minutes
Richard Head

Postby Keith » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:01 pm

if everyone used your rat-run it would soon clog up though. A few traffic calming measures should soon put you back on the main routes that everyone else suffers with.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby scar » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:21 pm

Richard Head wrote:My route was down Torrisholme Road, slowed down for mini roundabouts by the Spar shop, turned right through Ryelands, held up for a couple of minutes queueing to get out onto Morecambe Road, not much traffic after that, stuck to the speed limit the whole way, almost exactly 10 minutes

So by using a Rat-Run yourself you are acknowleding that the area needs the bypass as the traffic on the arterial routes are beyond capacity, hence your seeking an alternative route to avoid the congestion and delays.
scar

Postby morecambe mick » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:23 pm

scar wrote:
Richard Head wrote:My route was down Torrisholme Road, slowed down for mini roundabouts by the Spar shop, turned right through Ryelands, held up for a couple of minutes queueing to get out onto Morecambe Road, not much traffic after that, stuck to the speed limit the whole way, almost exactly 10 minutes

So by using a Rat-Run yourself you are acknowleding that the area needs the bypass as the traffic on the arterial routes are beyond capacity, hence your seeking an alternative route to avoid the congestion and delays.

:lol: 1-0 :!:

Plus, I won't be letting anyone out from there again :!:
morecambe mick

Postby Keith » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:54 pm

morecambe mick wrote:

That's exactly what went through my mind! I always let people out of there but now I'll think twice!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Duffman » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:21 am

Keith wrote:
morecambe mick wrote:

That's exactly what went through my mind! I always let people out of there but now I'll think twice!

Don't be nasty, I get an extra 10 minutes in bed taking that route. :)
Duffman

Postby 1953 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:53 am

[color=#FF4080]WHAT IS WRONG WITH BUILDING ANOTHER BRIDGE AT SNATCHEMS. SURELY NO WHERE NEAR THE COST OF A WHOLE NEW BY-PASS.ROADS AT THE EASTERN END OF THE RIVER WOULD HAVE TO BE DEALT WITH IN ORDER TO REACH THE A 6; JUST STAY CLEAR OF THE NEWTS !!!

Postby casey jones » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:06 pm

Anybody ever SEEN one of these newts?????????????? If somebody knows where they are, why not just scoop them up and deposit them, maybe a mile away, down the Lune. I'm sure most parts of the banks of the river are more or less the same habitat as they live in now. I'm also quite sure they wont have a fr*ggin clue that owt has changed! BUILD THE BRIDGE.
casey jones

Postby Christies Child » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:07 pm

1953 wrote:[color=#FF4080]WHAT IS WRONG WITH BUILDING ANOTHER BRIDGE AT SNATCHEMS. SURELY NO WHERE NEAR THE COST OF A WHOLE NEW BY-PASS.ROADS AT THE EASTERN END OF THE RIVER WOULD HAVE TO BE DEALT WITH IN ORDER TO REACH THE A 6; JUST STAY CLEAR OF THE NEWTS !!!

Exactly...but does that mean crossing Lancaster Golf Club.....

Political influence in certain places......mmmmm :?: :?: :?:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Richard Head » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:41 pm

Christies Child wrote:
1953 wrote:[color=#FF4080]WHAT IS WRONG WITH BUILDING ANOTHER BRIDGE AT SNATCHEMS. SURELY NO WHERE NEAR THE COST OF A WHOLE NEW BY-PASS.ROADS AT THE EASTERN END OF THE RIVER WOULD HAVE TO BE DEALT WITH IN ORDER TO REACH THE A 6; JUST STAY CLEAR OF THE NEWTS !!!

Dont you mean masonic influence?
Richard Head

Postby shrimpnsave » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:43 pm

Richard Head wrote:
Christies Child wrote:

Dont you mean masonic influence?

correct me if im wrong but is that the funny handshaky thingy :lol:
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby Richard Head » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:54 pm

shrimpnsave wrote:

Funny handshake, trouser leg rolled up, bearing your left nipple, it all seems perfectly normal behaviour to me :D
Richard Head

Postby shrimpnsave » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:05 pm

:lol:
Richard Head wrote:
shrimpnsave wrote:

Funny handshake, trouser leg rolled up, bearing your left nipple, it all seems perfectly normal behaviour to me :D

OK ill join as long as mrs haining joins toooooo...

happy days indeed :lol:
shrimpnsave

Postby Suzi Quatro » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:40 pm

There was somebody who I was speaking to today who said to me that we have lost two chief ambassadors for Morecambe in the last six months--I asked who he was referring to and he said Evelyn Archer and Geraldine Smith. Well you did see them in the press a few times. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Suzi Quatro

Postby Gnasher » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:58 pm

casey jones wrote:Anybody ever SEEN one of these newts?????????????? If somebody knows where they are, why not just scoop them up and deposit them, maybe a mile away, down the Lune. I'm sure most parts of the banks of the river are more or less the same habitat as they live in now. I'm also quite sure they wont have a fr*ggin clue that owt has changed! BUILD THE BRIDGE.

I've seen remains of newts from the dyke at the back of Christie Ave, my partner's cat likes a tasty snack.
Legally permitted to use "Gnasher" by DC Thomson's lawyers since 1999.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby shrimpnsave » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:06 pm

Gnasher wrote:
casey jones wrote:Anybody ever SEEN one of these newts?????????????? If somebody knows where they are, why not just scoop them up and deposit them, maybe a mile away, down the Lune. I'm sure most parts of the banks of the river are more or less the same habitat as they live in now. I'm also quite sure they wont have a fr*ggin clue that owt has changed! BUILD THE BRIDGE.

I've seen remains of newts from the dyke at the back of Christie Ave, my partner's cat likes a tasty snack.

can you name them please just to clarify :?:
shrimpnsave

Postby Gnasher » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:11 pm

They were stamped "on loan from Chester Zoo to anti-link-road campaigners"
Legally permitted to use "Gnasher" by DC Thomson's lawyers since 1999.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby parceldave » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:27 pm

The newts which can easily be re-located are just an excuse for the knobs who live at Aldcliffe and play golf at Lancaster , who dont want their views over the Lune spoiling. :o
parceldave

Postby scar » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:11 pm

Newts or no newts, the money isn't there for the time being so nothing would get done, bridge over the Lune or link road past the college! They don't even have the money to fix signage let alone build bridges and roads!
scar

Postby Richard Head » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:34 pm

Apparantly there is enough money available to put another bus stop immiediately to the south of the Pointer roundabout. That will make it easier for traffic to get into Lancaster from the south wont it :D

I walked into town that way this morning and it took me less than 2 minutes to walk from the existing bus stop next to Bargain Booze to the proposed site of the new bus stop.

When a young girl was knocked down at virtually the same place the council said they could not justify spending money on a crossing because she had not been badly injured enough but money can be found for this uneccessary bus stop
Richard Head

Postby Posh » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:07 pm

Christies Child wrote:

I absolutely f'ing dispare sometimes. Never in the course of human history has so much time, hot air and human effort been wasted on such a topic.

Here's a few simple facts for anyone wishing to open the pointless debate a Western bypass.

1. In 1949 every major motorway and dual carriageway in Lancashire was planned. By the 1970s everyone of them bar one was built. You guessed it - a scheme called the Morecambe Link. A route to the north of Lancaster, which the council to the 'economic future of Morecambe'.

2. It isn't about newts, although the scheme would never have passed any UK or European environmental planning legislation. It isn't about people on Haverbreaks, Lancaster Golf Club, freemasons or any other great conspiracy theory. Every reason for the Western Routes rejection was based on planning law anything else and it would have been challenged in court.

3. The Western Route was rejected and rightly so. A two lane half arsed scheme costing at least £60 million more. Lorry breaks down, everything grinds to a halt. It is a shit scheme. Yet knowing all these facts any many more political halfwits like the MBI and Geraldine Smith kept peddling the myths, half-truths and outright lies.

4. The Morecambe Link or the Northern Route has full planning permission and is now on it's final public enquiry. Thousands of hours have work have been committed to getting this scheme to where it us now.

5. The Western Route legally, financially, morally, politically is DEAD. Isn't it time to give it a rest and get behind the current scheme so we can ensure Morecambe gets what was needed in 1949 built?
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:10 pm

parceldave wrote:

The newts which can easily be re-located are just an excuse for the knobs who live at Aldcliffe and play golf at Lancaster , who dont want their views over the Lune spoiling. :o

Our superb Chairman live at Aldcliffe/Haverbreaks
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby Posh » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:50 pm

Heysham_Shrimp wrote:
parceldave wrote:

Our superb Chairman live at Aldcliffe/Haverbreaks

He used to. Moved several years ago to be nearer to his business.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Previous

Return to General Discussion