New signing

New signing

Postby Splodge » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:01 pm

Splodge

Re: New signing

Postby George Dawes » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:19 pm

good signing id like to see him in midfield with Stanley rather than at fullback when we've already got Parrish/Moss/McStay who can do a good job there
George Dawes

Postby ockers » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:26 pm

good to see we got the jewel in the crown then?
ockers

Postby thegentlegiant » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:26 pm

great signing IMO, we need more experience at league two quality especially with us trying to get promoted next season :D
thegentlegiant

Postby james456 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:33 pm

Apparently started his career as a left back. Then moved to centre/right back for Bury and can also play in midfield so potentially a very useful player.
james456

Postby Bare Ben » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:39 pm

Bare Ben

Postby George Dawes » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:43 pm

read the small print pal ;)
Last updated: 4th January 2010
old news from when we last went in for him :P
George Dawes

Postby Christies Child » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:49 pm

Good signing, just wish he was a couple of years younger. BUT if it's experience that we need to get us promoted then I'm delighted.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby shrimpnsave » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:03 pm

Christies Child wrote:Good signing, just wish he was a couple of years younger. BUT if it's experience that we need to get us promoted then I'm delighted.

Carefull cc,you nearly said you were happy :lol: :lol:
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby marky » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:34 pm

I'll reserve judgement for now. As with CC, I'm not sure we really needed another addition to the over 30 brigade. I do wonder, however, if he is intended for the right-back position...
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby Ntini » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:03 pm

marky wrote:I'll reserve judgement for now. As with CC, I'm not sure we really needed another addition to the over 30 brigade. I do wonder, however, if he is intended for the right-back position...

It's a great signing IMO. I'd have thought Wilson, Haining, Scott and Parrish across the back four and I'd be happy with that and Jim filling in where necessary.

Good Stuff!
HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!!!

On topic(ish) and proud!
Ntini

Postby heysham_mfc » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:07 pm

good signing a few more like this and we will have a very good chance of at least making the play offs again
heysham_mfc

Postby marky » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:13 pm

Ntini wrote:It's a great signing IMO. I'd have thought Wilson, Haining, Scott and Parrish across the back four and I'd be happy with that and Jim filling in where necessary.

Don't get me wrong. That back four fills me with a lot more comfort than Moss, Artell, Parrish, Wilson... You do have to wonder what the future is for Moss, mind. He was a peripheral figure for much of last season and this signing suggests he'll be that again. We need squad players but that wasn't really what he was brought to the club for. Having said that, whenever I saw him play he filled me with zero confidence so it's not necessarily a bad thing.
marky

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:19 pm

I see him as a holding midfielder allowing Stanners + Drummy/new player to bomb forward.

It suggests maybe we aren't signing Manny Panther.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby parceldave » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:24 pm

marky wrote:I'll reserve judgement for now. As with CC, I'm not sure we really needed another addition to the over 30 brigade. I do wonder, however, if he is intended for the right-back position...

Agree with you , our biggest problem last season was lack of pace and i dont think the 2 signings so far will improve that situation much. But maybe Scott can give some protection to the back 4 which we need. ;)
parceldave

Postby marky » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:51 pm

Heysham_Shrimp wrote:I see him as a holding midfielder allowing Stanners + Drummy/new player to bomb forward.

It suggests maybe we aren't signing Manny Panther.

If Scott was to play in the holding role, then only one of the three midfielders (Stanley, Drummond & Hunter) would find themselves in the starting line up. Rundle is pretty much guaranteed a place on the left wing come 7th August and I would say the the right wing position is 90% Duffy's (unless we end up playing him in the 'hole'). Also, midfield is very much Scott's third preference, having started out life as a centre-back.
marky

Postby Blackpool Shrimp » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:21 pm

Excellent signing....welcome to the Morecambe family Paul.sounds like the new ground and also chance to work with mark lillis again was a big draw
Blackpool Shrimp

Postby George Dawes » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:14 am

With Scott being defensive minded and good at tackling i see him playing in the middle protecting the back four along-side Stanley allowing us to play with more width with Randell & Duffy/Wainwright having more freedom to attack supplying the front two

should give good balance to the midfield, what we've never had in L2.

bring on the pre-season friendlies :D
George Dawes

Postby Christies Child » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:08 am

shrimpnsave wrote:
Christies Child wrote:Good signing, just wish he was a couple of years younger. BUT if it's experience that we need to get us promoted then I'm delighted.

Carefull cc,you nearly said you were happy :lol: :lol:

That wouldn't do would it....Have to keep up my pretence after all.. :!: :!: :!:

;)

Sounds like his best position is as a centre half. Alongside Parrish maybe?

Arts hasn't signed up yet..has he??????
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Jack » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:03 am

I agree with you there, another 30 year old defender that's only getting older. Not really inspired by this signing TBH.
Jack

Postby scar » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:27 am

It gives us an experienced defensive midfielder, he knows the league and what is needed.

Whilst he may not be young and sprightly, he is still capable and has many years playing ahead of him.

I'll take experience over youth everytime.
scar

Postby Dazzer » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:10 am

This is the view of Scott from my Bury supporting mate

"Big and strong but not fast, a good tackler and good in the air with a long throw in. Can pass the ball as well – I think he could move into centre half or play in midfield just in front on the back four as a stopper. Sorry to see him go, You got a good deal for a season or two."
Dazzer

Postby George Dawes » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:18 pm

Dazzer wrote:This is the view of Scott from my Bury supporting mate

"Big and strong but not fast, a good tackler and good in the air with a long throw in. Can pass the ball as well – I think he could move into centre half or play in midfield just in front on the back four as a stopper. Sorry to see him go, You got a good deal for a season or two."

sounds like he's all the attributes to be a good holding midfielder, and he also said today in a interview that center midfield is his preferred position and that he'd been playing right-back at bury for the past few seasons

so going by that, id say thats why he's now signed for us(to play in midfield) after having a word with Sammy & Mark
George Dawes

Postby shrimpnsave » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:33 pm

released by bury....Mmmmm

not good enough for bury but good enough for morecambe...Mmmmmmmm
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:44 pm

On the radio tonight he said Bury played him at right back last season and he prefers playing in midfield and can also play as a centre half. sounds a very good acquisition.
Bury's loss IMHO
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Next

Return to General Discussion