Grim Grounds

Grim Grounds

Postby Seasider9601 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:56 pm

Barrow have got a good interesting topic going on their board at the moment headed as above:

http://www.barrowafc.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9825

So, what would be our nightmare grounds visited over the years and why ??!!

I'll start the ball rolling by saying any ground with a running track going around it, for example Gateshead, Goole Town, Winsford United. Could never get interested in the games at those places (not even our 8-2 away WIN at Goole in '93!!!). I never went to Holly Park (South Liverpool) but am led to believe it was an absolute dump. Knowsley United was just absolute hell on earth, and the statements made on the Barrow link about having one eye on the game and one eye on the car park are so true !!! The pitch would have been more at home in the North Lancs League and the whole ground was just depressing. Ferryhill Athletic in 1989 was pretty much the same !
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Re: Grim Grounds

Postby Seasider9601 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:00 pm

Forgot to mention Worksop Town's (then) "new" ground that we visited for an FA Cup tie in, was it, 95/6 season? For a new build, it was basic, cheap ....... and nasty. I had also previously been to their old ground too, The Central Ground, one of those 3 sided grounds that backed onto a bloody cricket field. Just like Bishop Auckland's did. Oh yes, and Matlock Town's .......
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby Christies Child » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:23 pm

All the above grounds are sheer luxury compared with that of Bacup Boro in the early 60's. Come to think of it, it hasn't changed that much since then.. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Southern Shrimp » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:33 pm

Ive seen us play in what were little more than fields twice many years ago. Lancs Constabulary in a pre season friendly and Maine Road FC in some cup comp (maybe Trophy 1st round?) Think we lost on both occasions too?!
Southern Shrimp

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:34 pm

The inappropriately named "The Showground" , home of Great Harwood.

I remember a Christmas game there in a match played in pouring rain, the pitch was a muddy bog. The Shrimps were winning 2-0 with 5 minutes to go and we lost 3-2 !
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby Posh » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:30 pm

My worst grounds (in no particular order):

1. Evesham. Train embankment on one side that was so steep you needed a Sherpa, flat concrete behind one goal and a field behind another. About 5 tons of sand on a flooded pitch.

2. Larne. Built on a cliff edge. Should have fallen over it a long time ago.

3. Accy. Hate the place and not just for the results. Open terrace, flooded car parks, knackered bogs, shite food, Nazis selling badges and well no redeeming features whatsoever.

4. Ards. Not that bad a ground but at the top bottom step if the terrace you were at eye level with the grass for one of the more surreal views in football.

5. Kettering Town. Broken up terraces, horrendous stand and looked like a concentration camp. Had Nazis there too.

6. Chester City. The most soul-less new build ever?

7. Marine. I actually quite like it but... The ground is so tight to it's surrounds that the two sides have high fences on to stop the balls going into back gardens. Each fence has the number of each house so the ballboys know which doors to knock on. Marine Ball Bingo is a great game. Two sides are inacessible and one so narrow you can get one person standing with another passing behind.

8. Don Valley - Rotherham. Moronic choice of temporary ground.

9. Withdean - Brighton. How they managed to stay there so long and not lose every supporter is a miracle in itself.

10. Giant Axe - Lancaster City. Great name but horrible ground.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Andy » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:21 pm

Southwood, Ramsgate FC only one entrance (for home and away supporters) Ramsgate chavs throwing drinks (at families) coming out ! W anchors !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back on the spanners
Andy

Postby Plain Peter » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:58 am

Vicarage Road - It's a long walk round them allotments in the rain.
Plain Peter

Postby paulshrimp » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:41 am

I did go to South Liverpool's ground and it was appalling. In terms of a level playing field anyone remember Grundy Hill, Horwich?
paulshrimp

Postby Plain Peter » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:05 am

That pitch on Derwent Road where Christ Church Junior School played, 45 degree angle from touchline to touchline.
Plain Peter

Postby Keith » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:34 am

Another vote for South Liverpool. Broken glass all the way along the terrace and some on the pitch too. Local toe-rags throwing empty beer bottles over the wall I think.

Hyde United's plastic pitch.

Despite the mud that was deep enough that Gary Hunter would have disappeared entirely if he'd run through it, only to be recovered a couple of millennia as a 20th century Lindow Man, I really liked Evesham.

Goole. My recollection was that it was always cold and foggy and mid-week.

Giant Axe is just too obvious a response (but true).
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby trojan » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:48 pm

Went to South Liverpool near end of one season and on Friday night prior to game all 6 widescreen tellies were robbed off their ceiling mounts in clubhouse.
Went early in next season and the new toilets had been stolen from clubhouse.
The pie cabin was reinforced better than Hitlers bunker and wouldn't have looked out of place with an 88mm poking out.
Spent most of time watching car which was parked on that central reservation just under the bridge.
trojan

Return to General Discussion