Ian Craney Signs For Fleetwood Town

Ian Craney Signs For Fleetwood Town

Postby The Bay » Tue May 25, 2010 1:38 pm

Fleetwood Town have made a significant addition to their squad ahead of their first season in the Blue Square Bet Premier with the signing of Ian Craney.

The attacking midfielder has made 132 Football League starts as well as being part of Accrington Stanley’s victorious Conference-winning team in 2005-06. Ian has also scored 24 League and Cup goals for his four League clubs.

Liverpool-born Craney cannot wait for the season to start, having closely watched Town’s progress in the Conference North.

‘I’ve been following the promotion push all through the season. It’s been really exciting and I came on the last day of season to see them being promoted. I’ve been absolutely overwhelmed by the set-up and the ambition surrounding the club. Then I got talking to Micky Mellon and the rest is history!’

There are some familiar faces amongst Craney’s new team-mates:

‘I know some of the players, including Anthony Barry, Steve McNulty and Peter Cavanagh, and I went to school with Mike Taylor. I was also at Accrington and Huddersfield with ‘SOS’ (team physio, Ian Liversedge).’

Craney’s footballing journey has taken him around a number of north western clubs:

‘I was at Everton as kid then went to Runcorn before Mark Ward took me to Altrincham where I had 4 or 5 great seasons and did really well.’

Craney averaged one goal per 4 games at Moss Lane. In 2004, Accrington Stanley gave him the opportunity to go full-time which was a big decision to make:

‘I had a good job at the time but the chance to go full-time was a dream. I’m glad I did it because in my second season we won the Conference and went into the Football League.’

Since leaving Stanley in 2007, Craney has played for Swansea City, Huddersfield Town and, most recently, Morecambe. Craney signed at Christie Park for the 2009-10 season on loan from Huddersfield. After 16 League and two Cup appearances for the Shrimps, his season was cut short by injury. He believes that his experience will help the squad and looks forward to offering ‘desire and leadership, as well as skill and craft on the pitch.’

‘I’m a ball player and like getting the ball down and playing it around. I’ve played at a good standard and won this league before so know what it takes. Micky Mellon has produced a good little squad at Fleetwood and there’s a great chance of going up again. That’s what we should be aiming for, otherwise there’s no point in being in the league.’

Having witnessed the support of the Cod Army in the play-off final, Craney is eager to play in front of them:

‘I’ve been impressed by the Cod Army and didn’t expect a fan base like that in Conference North. I can’t wait to start. I shall be watching the World Cup and going away for a couple of weeks but want to be flying by the opening match on 14th August and be fully fit after a good pre-season.’

27-year old Craney clearly has the ambition and desire to become a key part of an ambitious set-up, as well as a crowd favourite.

The midfielder joins Town subject to a medical later this week and Micky Mellon welcomed his first signing of the summer.

“I’m delighted we have signed a player of such quality. Ian will, no doubt, help us compete in a very strong Conference National league next season.”
The Bay's Goalzone - Saturday's 2-6pm & Tuesday's 7-10pm - Interviews & All The Action
http://www.thebay.co.uk
FOLLOW THE SHOW ON TWITTER - @dpsalmon or @TheBayGoalzone
The Bay

Re: Ian Craney Signs For Fleetwood Town

Postby Morecambe Jack » Tue May 25, 2010 1:42 pm

Fantastic signing for them, I really rate him even though he was carrying that injury with us. He offers a lot to any team as an attacking midfielder.
Morecambe Jack

Postby Ntini » Tue May 25, 2010 1:50 pm

I'm a tad surprised he's dropped down that low as I feel he could do a job in a League Two side, including ours. But all the best to you , Ian, and we all hope you can rid the injury and get back to playing the great football we know you can play. The best of luck for the future!
HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!!!

On topic(ish) and proud!
Ntini

Postby Christies Child » Tue May 25, 2010 4:09 pm

I'm obviously dissapointed as in my opinion he was worth signing.

No doubt Sammy will have looked at the situation and decided his injury record to date isn't a gamble we can afford to take. Also I'm sure he's got better options in mind to do specific roles.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby MorecambeMickey » Tue May 25, 2010 4:14 pm

Christies Child wrote:his injury record to date isn't a gamble we can afford to take.

Christ, he must be in a bad way.
MorecambeMickey

Postby feelingguilty » Tue May 25, 2010 4:33 pm

Strikes me as a player who wants to play football - this move should guarantee this.

Many on here have questioned his ability - maybe the player himself believes he is no longer up to L2 standard which would explain this (cant believe Fleetwood are paying that much). If he thought he was good enough very early in summer to make this move
feelingguilty

Postby Christies Child » Tue May 25, 2010 5:47 pm

feelingguilty wrote:Strikes me as a player who wants to play football - this move should guarantee this.

Many on here have questioned his ability - maybe the player himself believes he is no longer up to L2 standard which would explain this (cant believe Fleetwood are paying that much). If he thought he was good enough very early in summer to make this move

You'd be surprised. Money is the one thing they are not short of.

Their CEO once told me during a business meeting that if necessary they would spend whatever was required to achieve their goal of League status.

You only have to look at the money they have invested in their stadium to relaise that these guys are serious.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby halftimeresults » Tue May 25, 2010 5:54 pm

but what would happen if Fleetwood are promoted to League 2

I dont quite understand this league 2 wage capping.
halftimeresults

Postby heysham_mfc » Tue May 25, 2010 6:11 pm

Would have liked to see him sign for us but I'm sure he will get a lot more first team Football at Fleetwood will be good to see how they get on next season they have a great fan base just hope for them that home fixtures don't clash with Blackpool.
heysham_mfc

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:38 am

Accys ex captain Peter Cavanagh has followed suit

http://nln24.com/news/story/fleetwood-g ... ey-skipper
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby scar » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:58 pm

MorecambeMickey wrote:Christ, he must be in a bad way.

Nailed to the cross once so i'd say he is!
scar

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:15 pm

scar wrote:
MorecambeMickey wrote:Christ, he must be in a bad way.

Nailed to the cross once so i'd say he is!

I BET he was :!:
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby shrimper » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:21 pm

Naah! they said he hadn't done anything wrong so he could go free.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby MorecambeMickey » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:06 pm

shrimper wrote:Naah! they said he hadn't done anything wrong so he could go free.

Very good. Out of the door, line on the left, one cross each.
MorecambeMickey

Postby morecambe mick » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:07 pm

MorecambeMickey wrote:
shrimper wrote:Naah! they said he hadn't done anything wrong so he could go free.

Me and my wife are Brian :!: :lol:
morecambe mick

Postby Posh » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:15 pm

A warning for Fleetwood Town and fans.

He's not the Messiah...
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Curly » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:32 pm

Posh wrote:A warning for Fleetwood Town and fans.

He's not the Messiah...

Is he a very naughty boy then?
Do the birds have jobs?
YOU ALWAYS WAS AND YOU ALWAYS WAS BE!!!

Curly

Postby shrimper » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:02 pm

MorecambeMickey wrote:

Naah, only jokin, it IS crucifixion.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Return to General Discussion