- a carbon monoxide alarm
- a corkscrew
- travel kettle
- a plug adaptor
- sachets of your favourite brew
- various types of mozzie zappers
- factor 30
- talc

The list can go on-and-on, and you'll still have forgotten to renew your passport!
Plain Peter

Re: O/T - Holiday necessities

Postby Keith » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:10 pm

never taken talc anywhere! :shock:

Small amount of hand sanitiser for when washrooms are a 'challenge'.
Depending upon the type of places you'll be sleeping in, a door wedge is a very small but effective way of preventing people from entering your room while you sleep.
If you like a bath, a squash ball is an effective, multi-sized bath-plug.
FIRST AID KIT! (and know how to use it!)
Smoke detector is probably more likely to be of use than a carbon monoxide detector, again depending upon the environment you will be staying in.
Photocopy of passport and other essential documents in case of loss/theft. Included upon them, important contact details.

A tip that I thought was excellent but never got around to doing...

A pen & a roll of gaffertape. Wind some tape repeatedly around the pencil. You've now got an emergency repair kit for suitcases etc but in a manner that takes up minimal space and a pen is always handy anyway.

With the internet more & more widely available, on line storage for backing up photos etc. If you lose your camera/memory card you've still got your precious images. Also, most people don't realise that about 80% of the time, images can be recovered from a corrupt or accidently formatted memory card, as long as it hasn't been re-used.

You going some place then?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby shrimper » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:33 pm

Peter wrote:Dont forget:

- a carbon monoxide alarm
- a corkscrew
- travel kettle
- a plug adaptor
- sachets of your favourite brew
- various types of mozzie zappers
- factor 30
- talc

The list can go on-and-on, and you'll still have forgotten to renew your passport!

If only I'd seen this before my last trip, Peter. I went away without the carbon monoxide alarm, plug adaptor, mozzie zappers and factor 30 AND forgot my passport!

Had a good time anyway.

Nice, that campsite at Abersoch.

(Mind you, some of my party DID take hairdriers, straighteners, boxes of cereals and tins of corned beef.)
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Mark S » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:49 pm

Keith wrote:never taken talc anywhere! :shock:

Small amount of hand sanitiser for when washrooms are a 'challenge'.
Depending upon the type of places you'll be sleeping in, a door wedge is a very small but effective way of preventing people from entering your room while you sleep.
If you like a bath, a squash ball is an effective, multi-sized bath-plug.
FIRST AID KIT! (and know how to use it!)
Smoke detector is probably more likely to be of use than a carbon monoxide detector, again depending upon the environment you will be staying in.
Photocopy of passport and other essential documents in case of loss/theft. Included upon them, important contact details.

A pen & a roll of gaffertape. Wind some tape repeatedly around the pencil. You've now got an emergency repair kit for suitcases etc but in a manner that takes up minimal space and a pen is always handy anyway.

You going some place then?

You must have been to some really bad places Keith! :o Southport? :lol:
Mark S

Postby shrimper » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:14 pm

Keith wrote:never taken talc anywhere! :shock:

i]

:lol: :lol:

Where's that from, Vis comic?

Just squash the gaffer tape roll flat. Still takes up little room but retains more stickiness!

And as for that talc - just take it out of the container and seal it in little parcels of Clingfilm, taped into the lining of your case.

My nana showed me that one when we came back from Colombia once.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Plain Peter » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:07 am

Keith wrote:You going some place then?

Next Tuesday morning.
Fly to Istanbul.
Overnight sleeper train to Ankara.
Couple of nights in Ankara.
Daytime bus to Cappadocia (Fairy chimneys, underground cities, lunar landscapes, cave hotels).
7 nights in Urgup.
Bus back to Ankara.
Overnight sleeper to Istanbul
3 nights in Istanbul
Home.

A week on Westgate Caravan Park in September.

3 weeks DiYing round Tunisia in November.

I'm sure I've posted this before 8-)
Plain Peter

Return to General Discussion