Demolition

Re: Demolition

Postby EDD » Tue May 25, 2010 9:16 pm

Just made me wonder, what was the under side of the North stand used for..

Apart from the Loo's.....?
MFC's Only

Morecambe FC / Bradford Park Avenue FC

Supporter
EDD

Postby steve mfc » Tue May 25, 2010 9:20 pm

Very sad indeed but in some ways the quicker the better, usually i would drive past Christie Park most days but this week i have gone down westgate instead.

Personally i prefer to see the new ground going up rather than watch the painful demise of Christie Park.

Onwards and upwards.
steve mfc

Postby Shrimpman » Tue May 25, 2010 9:23 pm

EDD wrote:Just made me wonder, what was the under side of the North stand used for..

storage mainly, old seats ,old floodlight cases. mini goals etc for soccer schools, the switches for the floodlights.
Shrimpman

Postby Christie Top Cat » Tue May 25, 2010 9:26 pm

Ours to OUCH painful to see the speed they are working

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Christie Top Cat

Postby Jeff » Tue May 25, 2010 9:28 pm

This is awful to see but then I went through the same situation 7 yrs ago when it happened to Maine Road. The sad thing is, you move forward but you never have the same feeling for the new place. I hope that isn't the case for me @ the Globe as well. I've often been asked in recent days how i felt at the last game on thursday. My answer was .... wait till it starts being ripped down .... then we all know ....
I'm sometimes 'Dysie' ............. (Just to confuse matters)
Jeff

Postby mrpotatohead » Tue May 25, 2010 9:38 pm

had a walk down tonight with spud junior and our mutt , felt a bit down, then a certain mr t pulled up with the baddie off scooby doo in his passenger seat (joking rod)

totally made marlons day by presenting him with a dressing room sign that reads, DO NOT WASH BOOTS IN THE SINKS BATHS OR SHOWERS, totally ecstatic 12 year old, cheers rod, :D :D

We are a small club on the up, with a fantastic core support that will grow at the same rate as our kids :lol: :lol:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby heysham_mfc » Tue May 25, 2010 10:00 pm

ouch! sad to see the place finaly be taken down supprised how less that a week ago to were there playing now it's almost all gone :cry:
may even have to go down tommorow for the last time :(
heysham_mfc

Postby Beardy_shrimp » Tue May 25, 2010 10:05 pm

Shrimpman wrote:
EDD wrote:Just made me wonder, what was the under side of the North stand used for..

storage mainly, old seats ,old floodlight cases. mini goals etc for soccer schools, the switches for the floodlights.

and when I did my work experience there

DEAD PIGEONS!
Morecambe FC - It's time to believe.
Beardy_shrimp

Postby morecambe mick » Tue May 25, 2010 10:09 pm

Shrimpman wrote:

Also the massive water tank for the sprinkler system, I dug out the foundations for it I know!!
morecambe mick

Postby marky No.1 » Tue May 25, 2010 10:34 pm

Gnasher wrote:, I was lifted over the fence img]

I bet they would struggle to do that now! :lol: :lol:

Great pics Brian must be really wrenching for you particular ;)
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Christies Child » Wed May 26, 2010 6:12 am

I understand that there was a Scoreboard that we got from Carlisle as part of the DC deal and some floodlights from Man Utd, neither of which have ever been used.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Blackpool Shrimp » Wed May 26, 2010 8:22 am

Just been past the old ground on route home from night shift and looking at it the christie avenue end could be down by end of play today..work also moving quickly on north stand as well...very very sad
Blackpool Shrimp

Postby Ntini » Wed May 26, 2010 8:23 am

Is it me, or does the pitch still look better than some grounds this season??? :roll:

I can't believe it's finally going. I was there on Thursday watching the game, and the next time I come back home, it'll all be gone :cry:
HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!!!

On topic(ish) and proud!
Ntini

Postby Shrimpman » Wed May 26, 2010 11:40 am

car park mostly fenced off now only limited room for the school run parking
Roof is off umbro end , north stand steps gone
Shrimpman

Postby shrimper » Wed May 26, 2010 1:09 pm

I think I must be alone in this but...

I'm not sad at all.

I've been watching games at CP for 47 years and have had some of the best times of my life there, as well as the times we've enjoyed on away trips.

I've met people there who have become lifelong friends and others who I know I can sit and have an hour's chat with if I'm in a pub and bump into them.

I've seen amazing games, had great laughs, gone through the range of emotions from despair to outright ecstasy. Lifelong memories.

But all this week people have been asking me if I'm sad about not ever being able to watch football there again and the old place being demolished and I've thought carefully before saying: "No, not a bit, if I'm being honest."

I've surprised myself because I thought I would be - I almost passed out, hyperventilating as I collapsed in a fit of baby girl tears when the final whistle went at Wembley so I'm not averse to a blub or two on Morecambe's behalf.

But I'm just really excited about the move and looking forward to our great new stadium - both as Morecambe football fans and as users of the town's function facilities.

I suppose I look on it like moving out of your long-time family home. Yes, you've had great, life-defining times there (and they'll be with you forever) - but you're moving for a reason and now you can look forward to your super new house where you'll have more and, you hope, even better times.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Ntini » Wed May 26, 2010 2:02 pm

I think when we move into the Globe everyone will be fine, I just thinks it's the void whilst we move.

Or, in Shrimper's terminology, staying at your Granny's until you get the keys to the new place whilst watching your family home torn down.

I'm not coming back til it's finished!!!
HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!!!

On topic(ish) and proud!
Ntini

Postby Beardy_shrimp » Wed May 26, 2010 4:37 pm

Is this my first negative post???

I'm sorry I just think it won't be the same watching the Shrimps somewhere else.

Then again I haven't been to a game yet
Morecambe FC - It's time to believe.
Beardy_shrimp

Postby Christies Child » Wed May 26, 2010 4:46 pm

Went past the old place this afternoon with no hint of regrets which surprised me; possibly because i'd said goodbye on Sunday. Obviously sad to see the mechanical arms destroying parts of the ground, but it was time for the old place to give way to a newer model.

The Globe Arena is certainly coming on and the pitch is an even deeper shade of green than when I last saw it on Sunday.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Keith » Wed May 26, 2010 4:54 pm

I've not reached that 'excited' stage yet. Perhaps because I have only seen The Globe occasionally, and not close up? Perhaps because this season isn't out of my system yet? Perhaps its just not real to me yet? Even though they are my photo, I have still watched the clip that Mark produced and feel emotional each time, something that has never happened when I've viewed my own photos before. That's not about the images themselves, or the editing or even the music (although that makes it special), it's about 'the last time'. When I'm next in Morecambe, there will be no evidence of a place where I've had some of the happiest times in my life and certainly, the most constant place. I've moved jobs every few years, I've moved home eight times in my life... but I've only ever had one club and they've only ever had one home.

In that time, I've seen four football matches 'in the flesh' that didn't involve Morecambe (Lancaster City v someone on a Tuesday night when I lived in Lancaster, PNE v Man Utd, David Sadler's testimonial, Burnley v Ipswich and Burnley v Sheffield United at Wembley). I'm not a football fan, I'm a Morecambe fan, losing (swapping?) part of that experience will take some getting used to, no matter how much I welcome it.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Stanley Bowles » Wed May 26, 2010 5:05 pm

RIP Christie Park just had a walk around again its such a weird feeling inside .,so bloody sad. :( I am putting a little bit of Christie in my own back garden in the form of one of the Christie Park flagpoles, which will stand proud behind our new proud future The Globe Arena. :D
The dead don't have a choice - we do!
Stanley Bowles

Postby heysham_mfc » Wed May 26, 2010 6:56 pm

Thank it will become a lot easier to go down Lancaster Roard when we are at the globe and Sainsburys is going up at Christie Park.
heysham_mfc

Postby Shire Shrimp » Wed May 26, 2010 7:25 pm

For those of you who are feeling a little sad, spare a thought for our neighbours over the river. I've just driven past the Giant Axe and noticed that despite a few days of demolition work, Christie Park is still out shining that dump! :lol:
Shire Shrimp

Postby shrimpnsave » Wed May 26, 2010 7:27 pm

that was a little below the belt in my opnion :lol: :lol: :lol:
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby Shire Shrimp » Wed May 26, 2010 8:13 pm

shrimpnsave wrote:that was a little below the belt in my opnion

I know, :D I'm hoping to get a bite from any Dolly Blues that might pass through! Shh don't say owt! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Shire Shrimp

Postby marky » Wed May 26, 2010 9:30 pm

shrimper wrote:I think I must be alone in this but...

I'm not sad at all.

You're not alone in that. Christie Park was a special place but it was tired, aging and on life support. Better to let it go whilst it still had some dignity rather than being glad to be rid of it in 5 or 6 years when the place was dropping to bits.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion