Jevons relased

Jevons relased

Postby heysham_mfc » Tue May 25, 2010 10:26 am

heysham_mfc

Re: Jevons relased

Postby Ntini » Tue May 25, 2010 10:52 am

Am I right in thinking that he's been given the term 'released' when actually he's just not going to be given a new contract. So that means he is still a player at Huddersfield until his contract ends at the end of June.

I'm guessing there won't be anything official until the 1st week in July?
HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!!!

On topic(ish) and proud!
Ntini

Postby John L » Tue May 25, 2010 11:00 am

That's how I read it, Ntini. He's already spoken on a number of occasions saying he wants to sign for us so I suppose we should just hope he keeps his word until then....
John L

Postby darrenlock » Tue May 25, 2010 11:26 am

I think we will sign him as i got told on here that in the player's award Phil said he wants to stay , no doubt other league2 teams will be linked with him due to his goal scoring record this season
:evil:
darrenlock

Postby mrpotatohead » Tue May 25, 2010 9:50 pm

in my opinion, jevons, will h, roachy and stanners should form the spine of our team, i would think the rest of the existing squad would see us in good stead next season, i would blow the entire budget we have on 2 good strikersrather than 5 squad players, if anyone gets injured, we can borrow recovering players from big clubs
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby heysham_mfc » Tue May 25, 2010 9:53 pm

Well we know Sammy has got a list of players he want to bring in so we will just have to wait and see.
heysham_mfc

Postby Crooky MFC » Tue May 25, 2010 10:05 pm

Jevons has already said he's certain to be here next season at the presentation evening.
Crooky MFC

Postby Christies Child » Wed May 26, 2010 6:19 am

mrpotatohead wrote:in my opinion, jevons, will h, roachy and stanners should form the spine of our team, i would think the rest of the existing squad would see us in good stead next season, i would blow the entire budget we have on 2 good strikersrather than 5 squad players, if anyone gets injured, we can borrow recovering players from big clubs

I'm with you on this one.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Mark S » Wed May 26, 2010 7:10 am

Christies Child wrote:
mrpotatohead wrote:in my opinion, jevons, will h, roachy and stanners should form the spine of our team, i would think the rest of the existing squad would see us in good stead next season, i would blow the entire budget we have on 2 good strikersrather than 5 squad players, if anyone gets injured, we can borrow recovering players from big clubs

I'm with you on this one.

I thought you were desperate to shore up the defence CC? :?
Mark S

Postby marky » Wed May 26, 2010 8:24 am

To defend CC, I don't believe he's ever suggested Haining should be replaced. I agree that we should build the defence around him if he stays, though to me that would mean a youngish, quick centre back as I don't think Parrish is quite ready.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby paulshrimp » Wed May 26, 2010 8:28 am

Haining is a good player and I was impressed by the combination of Artell and Parrish against Scott and Benson for Dagenham.
paulshrimp

Postby Mark S » Wed May 26, 2010 8:34 am

marky wrote:To defend CC, I don't believe he's ever suggested Haining should be replaced. I agree that we should build the defence around him if he stays, though to me that would mean a youngish, quick centre back as I don't think Parrish is quite ready.

Agreed, but CC has always endorsed the idea of rebuilding defence and adding to midfield. Never about 'blowing the entire budget' on a couple of strikers.

IMHO Parrish is more than ready. He has been the most consistent player all season with the exception of Baz.
Mark S

Postby shrimper » Wed May 26, 2010 9:08 am

marky wrote:To defend CC, I don't believe he's ever suggested Haining should be replaced. I agree that we should build the defence around him if he stays, though to me that would mean a youngish, quick centre back as I don't think Parrish is quite ready.

That's the crux of it. You can't build around someone who's not there and he didn't play the last few games like a man who wanted to be here next season.
Great player but we need him committed to the cause.
I think Parrish is more than ready. Arts will probably have been offered a contract for one year and will only go if he can get a longer one elsewhere. But with Jim having a few injuries we'd still need one more centre-back if Haining does go.

Then another attacking central midfielder, pacy wide left player and at least one new, quick striker.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Keith » Wed May 26, 2010 9:15 am

If Parrish moves to a central role (where I agree, he's ready) then we need someone to cover his existing role. Who would that be or would we be looking for someone new?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby shrimper » Wed May 26, 2010 9:17 am

I think Moss has looked okay in the last few games playing as an orthodox right fullback, not a wingback.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Keith » Wed May 26, 2010 9:26 am

Wilson, Bentley/Artell/Haining, Parrish, Moss?

Yup, looks reasonable to me.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Ntini » Wed May 26, 2010 9:41 am

Keith wrote:Wilson, Bentley/Artell/Haining, Parrish, Moss?

Yup, looks reasonable to me.

I wouldn't be too bothered with that as I think we showed that with more pace, we can defend against the quicker attackers. It wouldn't be the best defence in the league by a long stretch, but at least we can still keep competing with it. Hopefully, if we can keep Baz and get a couple of new midfielders in, we'll have a much pacier, younger team than what we had at the start of this season.
HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!!!

On topic(ish) and proud!
Ntini

Postby scar » Wed May 26, 2010 9:46 am

shrimper wrote:

That's the crux of it. You can't build around someone who's not there and he didn't play the last few games like a man who wanted to be here next season.
Great player but we need him committed to the cause.
I think Parrish is more than ready. Arts will probably have been offered a contract for one year and will only go if he can get a longer one elsewhere. But with Jim having a few injuries we'd still need one more centre-back if Haining does go.

Then another attacking central midfielder, pacy wide left player and at least one new, quick striker.

Attacking midfield options we've pretty much got already (IMHO) but we lacked any form of defensive midfield in many games hence the pressure on the back 4 being too great and our goals against being too high (would have been higher if not for Roach)

Our lack of pace has been evident a fair amount this season, not just up front but also midfield and defense.
scar

Postby Ntini » Wed May 26, 2010 10:19 am

scar wrote:Attacking midfield options we've pretty much got already (IMHO)

I personally think we struggled in our final ball, especially down the left. At the moment we have no player for the left hand side if we're going to move forwards as a team. I think we need a left-footed midfielder and, although I think he has come on a lot, I think we can do better than Duffy. I'd go for two wide men (Pugh and Shuker if possible) with Duffy as a good impact sub.

Other people may see it differently, but I think Sammy has made space for a couple of new midfielders, and I don't see them being in the centre (as we have Drummond, Stanley and Hunter).
HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!!!

On topic(ish) and proud!
Ntini

Postby Keith » Wed May 26, 2010 10:29 am

I think (presuming Jevons & Barry sign) the key area of weakness is, as yo usay, left midfield. Hackney was just settling in after a wishy-washy start and ended with a great game. had he become available, I'd have liked to see him return but that won't happen, so a player like him please.

I think Duffy has improved a lot this season and is developing an eye for goal. He needs to stop some of his 'being clever' and go for the easy pass more often and realise that if he loses the ball, we're under pressure. The "off side" goal that Dagenham scored came after Duffy lost the ball and they broke quickly. There have been a few occasions this season when that happened. But generally, he is improving and learning, so that is a positive.

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Ntini » Wed May 26, 2010 10:38 am

I just hope he can sit down and look at Carl Baker.

I remember having the same conversations about taking too many touches and giving the ball away too cheaply. But he cut it out of his game and now look where he is. I think Duffy could do the same. If he looked for the simple pass and gave the ball sooner into the danger areas, he'd be a much better prospect. I'd like to see him do a job for us, but I think in the short term we could maybe do with strengthening. As you say, when he loses the ball we're in trouble and it puts pressure on a slow defence.
HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!!!

On topic(ish) and proud!
Ntini

Postby shrimper » Wed May 26, 2010 12:53 pm

Keith wrote:I think (presuming Jevons & Barry sign) the key area of weakness is, as yo usay, left midfield. Hackney was just settling in after a wishy-washy start and ended with a great game. had he become available, I'd have liked to see him return but that won't happen, so a player like him please.

I think Duffy has improved a lot this season and is developing an eye for goal. He needs to stop some of his 'being clever' and go for the easy pass more often and realise that if he loses the ball, we're under pressure. The "off side" goal that Dagenham scored came after Duffy lost the ball and they broke quickly. There have been a few occasions this season when that happened. But generally, he is improving and learning, so that is a positive.

At home to Rotherham? Then he had a stinker at Bradford which was his last game.

I thought he looked tidy but he didn't excite me and seemed unwilling to take players on - at least Duffy is prepared to do that, as is Wainwright.

I think if we sign Panther he can get up to match fitness in the close season and provide the defensive midfield link we need.

I'm concerned we don't (in the absence of Craney - who couldn't satisfy us about his fitness) have a player who can move comfortably with the ball from midfield to threaten the goal with trickery or deftness of pass to the strikers.

That kind of lynchpin is needed, as well as the pace in attack and wide that we've all identified.

Against Daggers (and I know you shouldn't let one game influence your whole approach - but it was quite blatant) they could push up knowing we didn't have the pace up front to trouble them with any balls over the top or through the channels. I like Mullin and Jevons but we do need to add that element to our game.
We can get by with playing the ball wide from midfield - or hitting Mullin and feeding off him, but it would be nice to have something else for opponents to think about.

I also think Duffy will be more effective next season.
shrimper

Postby Christies Child » Wed May 26, 2010 5:24 pm

We suspect that the management read SVs...so with the advice given to Sammy and Co in this thread, we can look forward to another excellent season and possible automatic promotion.

;) ;) ;)
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby james456 » Wed May 26, 2010 5:38 pm

Defensively, I think Sammy will perhaps keep what we've got and just move Parrish to centre back. With Moss, Wilson and one of Bentley/Haining/Artell/McStay(?), that's a reasonable defence. I'd consider bringing in another CB myself but won't complain if this doesn't happen.

In midfield, I'd try to get Panther on a short term contract with a mutual agreement that we will extend it if he regains his fitness and refinds his form. Then bring in a pacey left sided midfielder (eg Pugh) and a central attacking midfielder (in the Craney mould) and we're all set in that department. From what I see, a central midfielder who can shoot and play incisive passes into the danger area is perhaps top priority. Too often we have struggled to break teams down despite dominating possesion.

Then we need a few strikers because remember we don't have a single one at the moment!
Hopefully Jevo will sign and perhaps Mullin (heard nothing on that front though) but we need at least two new strikers in addition to provide even modest cover and competition. A strong and fast player and perhaps a talented young lad released from a prem side would do nicely.
james456

Postby George Dawes » Wed May 26, 2010 6:17 pm

shrimper wrote:I think Moss has looked okay in the last few games playing as an orthodox right fullback, not a wingback.

i 2nd that.
George Dawes

Next

Return to General Discussion