O/T England World Cup thread

O/T England World Cup thread

Postby heysham_mfc » Sun May 23, 2010 12:19 pm

So how far does everyone think they will get :?:
heysham_mfc

Re: O/T England World Cup thread

Postby Opinionated » Sun May 23, 2010 2:31 pm

This is our year :oops: I have never said that before, honest :roll:

I seriously think we stand a decent chance of glory this year. We have had a decent squad for some years now. Not the best in the tournament but one that's capable of winning this tournament under Capello. A lot will depend on Rooney's form and fitness. We also need Lampard to produce his club form for country. We have a central defensive partnership as good as any you will see in the tournament. Ashley Cole in my opinion is the best left back in Europe, almost Brazilian in his attitude to the position. Potential weaknesses could be Barry and his injury which could see Capello change his formation just 180 minutes of playing time before our first match. There is no obvious choice for right wing. With Gerrard providing a balance on the left the right sided player will be encouraged to attack at every opportunity. Will it be SWP, Johnson, Walcott or Lennon? SWP has had a terrible season and I don't think he will make the 23 man squad. Walcott is too inconsistent and his final ball isn't good enough. Lennon has been plagued by injury but has impressed since his comeback. Adam Johnson has impressed me most as he has stepped up a level naturally but can he step up another level?

The warm up matches against Mexico and Japan should provide us with answers to some unanswered questions.

Looking at the teams in this years competition I only rate 3 of them being as good or better than England (Spain, Brazil, Argentina).

Spain must be favourites after their triumph 2 years ago. They have the strongest all round squad. But can they hold their nerve, and will Torres be fit?

Brazil have ditched their stars of the past (Ronaldo, Adriano, Ronaldinho) and replced them with youth. This proved successful in qualification and I wouldn't be suprised if they win this competition.

Argentina have been unconvincing and only just qualified for South Africa. Maradona's team selections have raised eye brows with Champions League winners Zanetti and Cambiaso not being included in their final squad. However Messi is capable of winning this tournament for any nation.

France and Italy are in transition with ageing squads who will not be able to compete. Germany can never be ruled out, Holland will be competitve and Portugal wont be far away. But I see no reason why England shouldn't be serious contenders to win the 2010 World Cup.
'Patience is key in football' - Darren Lock
Opinionated

Postby George Dawes » Sun May 23, 2010 3:25 pm

its not always the best team what wins a cup

Cups are different. in a league the best team always finishes top where in a cup a lot is to do with luck and how you are on the day

England i expect to get to the last 4 and we are goosed if we go to penalty's

it wouldn't surprise me if Germany(result machines) make the final by being scabby but my money is on Italy

and Spain despite winning the euros i think will fail on the big occasion there just like us in terms expectation and media pressure what dosnt help
George Dawes

Postby Opinionated » Tue May 25, 2010 8:23 am

Unconvincing victory last night. I didn't see the logic in playing Milner and Carrick in defensive midfield, it left us exposed in the first half. Walcott's final ball is shocking, he wasted various decent opportunities. Lennon or Johnson for me. On a positive note G.Johnson scored a wonder goal, Green was fantastic, and Crouch can't stop scoring. Will the team that starts on Sunday v Japan be the one which starts the World Cup?

Could this thread be made a sticky for the duration of the World Cup please. Otherwise numerous threads will be created for the same topic. Thanks.
Opinionated

Postby thegentlegiant » Tue May 25, 2010 8:45 am

Opinionated wrote:Unconvincing victory last night. I didn't see the logic in playing Milner and Carrick in defensive midfield, it left us exposed in the first half. Walcott's final ball is shocking, he wasted various decent opportunities. Lennon or Johnson for me. On a positive note G.Johnson scored a wonder goal, Green was fantastic, and Crouch can't stop scoring. Will the team that starts on Sunday v Japan be the one which starts the World Cup?

Could this thread be made a sticky for the duration of the World Cup please. Otherwise numerous threads will be created for the same topic. Thanks.

or could we have a world cup topic section?

England to reach final but lose at the final!!
thegentlegiant

Postby fletch_al » Tue May 25, 2010 9:31 am

thegentlegiant wrote:
Opinionated wrote:Unconvincing victory last night. I didn't see the logic in playing Milner and Carrick in defensive midfield, it left us exposed in the first half. Walcott's final ball is shocking, he wasted various decent opportunities. Lennon or Johnson for me. On a positive note G.Johnson scored a wonder goal, Green was fantastic, and Crouch can't stop scoring. Will the team that starts on Sunday v Japan be the one which starts the World Cup?

Nah, we'll win it on penalties. we are ver good at them :lol:
fletch_al

Postby Opinionated » Tue May 25, 2010 9:40 am

fletch_al wrote:
thegentlegiant wrote:

Nah, we'll win it on penalties. we are ver good at them :lol:

:lol: Our awful shoot out record has to end sometime.

If we get a penalty in normal time we know Lampard will score 9 times out of 10 but when it comes to a penalty shoot out that record goest out the window. I would fancy Gerrard and Rooney to score theirs as well but I just know they wont.

Why are penalties such a problem for us?
Opinionated

Postby Keith » Tue May 25, 2010 12:04 pm

Opinionated wrote:Could this thread be made a sticky for the duration of the World Cup please. Otherwise numerous threads will be created for the same topic. Thanks.

thegentlegiant wrote:or could we have a world cup topic section?

:lol:

You realise, apart from the permanent 'sticky' that explains how new registrants, register, Jimbo's is the first 'sticky' we've had in years, even turning down requests from the club! Can't say the thought of an 'off topic' subject getting one appeals :roll: So hopefully people will stick with one thread (this one?) but if it all goes a bit wild & loose, ah well...
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby RedRedWine1 » Tue May 25, 2010 12:22 pm

Italy had a shocking record at penalties until they won the 2006 final....lightening to strike twice? I think not, we are too dependant upon a small nucleus of players to reach the final stages. Overall there are countries with better players and/or countries that play better as a team.

Only one country has won the World cup on a foreign continent.....Brazil to keep that record going for my money. They've left a few of the big name stars out and have put together a group who perform well as a unit. You'd never see England do that. Despite a really ordinary season for Liverpool Gerrard will be in the starting England 11 for every game, and due to Ferdinands injury problems and he will most likely captain the side for most of the tournament.
RedRedWine1

Postby shrimper » Tue May 25, 2010 12:28 pm

Opinionated wrote:This is our year :oops: I have never said that before, honest :roll:

I seriously think we stand a decent chance of glory this year. We have had a decent squad for some years now. Not the best in the tournament but one that's capable of winning this tournament under Capello. A lot will depend on Rooney's form and fitness. We also need Lampard to produce his club form for country. We have a central defensive partnership as good as any you will see in the tournament. Ashley Cole in my opinion is the best left back in Europe, almost Brazilian in his attitude to the position. Potential weaknesses could be Barry and his injury which could see Capello change his formation just 180 minutes of playing time before our first match. There is no obvious choice for right wing. .

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o

And you were doing so well!

THE obvious choice for right midfield/wing has had an enforced rest for a few months, is now back fully fit and will be raring to go, as he showed at the end of last night's game.
I'd play him for 65/70 minutes every game and tell him not to conserve any energy. Then Walcott, SWP, Adam Johnson or whoever can be sent on to terrorise tired defenders.

I think we'll do well and have a fighting chance if Rooney can avoid injury.

Brazil and Spain are just a bit better than everyone else but, as others have rightly said, the best team doesn't always win (look at Italy last time as a recent example).

We have as much chance as about six or seven others just behind those two.
Gerrard's issues have, I believe been specifically at Liverpool and I think we'll see him back to form once he's out of the country.

BUT..... my tip is Argentina. I know how they've rattled along through qualifying and Maradona's clueless as a coach but I just think they have so many players who, come the occasion, can turn it on. I think they can gel with or without their batty manager and just pull it all together for this tournament. Their big flaw is a lack of height but on the deck they can outbattle and outplay most.

I have bets on Messi and Tevez as top-scorers in doubles with Argentina to win it (33/1 and 150/1).

Oh - and don't read too much into any friendlies - ever!
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby marky No.1 » Tue May 25, 2010 12:38 pm

Keith wrote:but if it all goes a bit wild & loose, ah well...

That builds up a picture in my mind
A-Handful.jpg

Apologies for lowering the tone ......

.Again! :lol:
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Plain Peter » Tue May 25, 2010 5:26 pm

Won't get past the 1st Round.
Plain Peter

Postby Beardy_shrimp » Wed May 26, 2010 1:27 am

I hope we go out early

I can't stand England football any more... totally given up on then

Morecambe > England

I want North Korea to win it! :)
Morecambe FC - It's time to believe.
Beardy_shrimp

Postby John L » Wed May 26, 2010 11:51 am

marky No.1 wrote:
Keith wrote:but if it all goes a bit wild & loose, ah well...

That builds up a picture in my mind
A-Handful.jpg

Apologies for lowering the tone ......

.Again! :lol:

I don't get it.... what's a picture of Gabby Logan and Gary Lineker got to do with all this? :?
John L

Postby Alan » Wed May 26, 2010 1:32 pm

heysham_mfc wrote:So how far does everyone think they will get :?:

I'll probably get as far as the sofa, about 10 feet from the telly....
Alan

Postby bigreddog » Wed May 26, 2010 3:34 pm

We'll get through the group as winners (though I think the Algeria game will be a lot harder than some think) then we'll play Australia in the knockout rounds and beat them, then we'll either get knocked out by France in the quarters or by Brazil in the semi's. we're in a very tough half of the draw so if we do end up winning the world cup we'll have deserved to.
Fans' Club Morecambe

join the facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home.php?sk=group_183535545003563&id=193325224024595&notif_t=like
Updated, interactive, snazzy website coming soon...
bigreddog

Postby shrimper » Wed May 26, 2010 4:07 pm

Peter wrote:Won't get past the 1st Round.

:o

Put your money where your mouth is!

I'll have as much as you like on that one, Peter.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Plain Peter » Thu May 27, 2010 6:19 am

shrimper wrote:

Just remember where you read it first :lol:
If I'm wrong I'll bring you back a box of lokum from Cappadocia.
Plain Peter

Postby Weetabix Kid » Thu May 27, 2010 1:32 pm

We will win the group.
2nd round beat Serbia convincingly and everyone gets there hopes up.
Q/F - beat the French (not the force anymore) on pens and people get way too excited
S/F - we get put back in our place being outclassed by Brazil.

SIMPLES
Weetabix Kid

Postby Opinionated » Thu May 27, 2010 9:14 pm

'Meanwhile, the Argentina squad at the World Cup have received a conditional green light to have sex during the tournament.

"The players will be able to have sex during the World Cup in South Africa, but with regular partners and without Champagne or other drinks," team doctor Donato Villami told Radio Del Plata.'
- BBC Sport

It's going to be a long month for Maradona :lol:
Opinionated

Postby Opinionated » Sat May 29, 2010 1:29 pm

Squad announced to face Japan:

David James, Glen Johnson, John Terry, Rio Ferdinand, Ashley Cole, Theo Walcott, Tom Huddlestone, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, Wayne Rooney, Darren Bent.

Massive opportunity for Huddlestone and Bent to impress. Suprised Johnson doesn't start and Walcott does. How many more chances is Capello going to give him?
Opinionated

Postby George Dawes » Sat May 29, 2010 1:34 pm

i hope Johnson gets a full 90mins on the problematic left wing spot
George Dawes

Postby Opinionated » Sat May 29, 2010 1:36 pm

DawZi wrote:i hope Johnson gets a full 90mins on the problematic left wing spot

Walcott is starting on the left. I don't see the logic either but hopefully Johnson will get the second 45.
Opinionated

Postby Plain Peter » Sun May 30, 2010 5:38 pm

Peter wrote:
shrimper wrote:

Just remember where you read it first :lol:
If I'm wrong I'll bring you back a box of lokum from Cappadocia.

Definately won't get past the 1st Round.
Absolute shambles.
Plain Peter

Postby George Dawes » Sun May 30, 2010 6:12 pm

oh yes we will, only joking we wont get past last 4 penalty shoot outs pending

but having said that there's weak points in every team ive seen so far Spain/Brazil included!

watch out Germany avoiding Brazil and all the big guns every single time on route to the any world cup final they've been in and scabbing 1 - 0 results & penalty shoot outs all the way and yet people still holding them in the same esteem up there with Brazil as World Cup Champion's
George Dawes

Next

Return to General Discussion