LET US MAKE A JOLLY ATMOSPHERE ON SATURDAY CHAPS!

LET US MAKE A JOLLY ATMOSPHERE ON SATURDAY CHAPS!

Postby bunny » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:00 pm

Who cares if there won't be many away fans at cp on SATURDAY. We are at home so we should sing out all the 90 minutes and show our support and i think the team need it now!!.
bunny

Re: Lets make a atmosphere sataday

Postby durianmuncher » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:40 pm

But not one whiff of a swear word, otherwise those kids might come back on or even a swift ejection may be the result
durianmuncher

Postby morecambe mick » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:27 pm

durianmuncher wrote:But not one whiff of a swear word, otherwise those kids might come back on or even a swift ejection may be the result

I am not in favour of expilicit swearing at football, as I've already stated.

But, for God's sake get real!

Whinge, whinge..... whine.

Let's all go to the game and let the whingers make themselves heard, eh?

I bet Sammy would be out in the press saying the fans need to get behind us more.
morecambe mick

Postby badger » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:42 pm

i think the new law on swearing at matches is a load of bollocks. We all know kids know more about swearing than any of us so called adults.I think we have to have a balance to this law or the atmosphere at matches will get worse. must use common sense.

can we not sing Tony Roberts favourite song on saturday.

DO YOU TAKE IT UP YOUR ARSE TONY ROBERTS
badger

Postby morecambe mick » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:46 pm

badger wrote:i think the new law on swearing at matches is a load of bollocks. We all know kids know more about swearing than any of us so called adults.I think we have to have a balance to this law or the atmosphere at matches will get worse. must use common sense.

I think if we changed the words, cleverly, he would know exactly what we meant and no offence would be caused.

The problem being not everyone would know the new words so would sing the old words - that's when the offence would be caused.
morecambe mick

Postby Mark S » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:52 pm

badger wrote:i think the new law on swearing at matches is a load of bollocks. We all know kids know more about swearing than any of us so called adults.I think we have to have a balance to this law or the atmosphere at matches will get worse. must use common sense.

Its not a law, its a voluntary code of conduct that the FA has requested clubs support in an attempt to entice more familys to football matches. Believe it or not, there are many responsible parents who do not want to expose their children to drink fueled hatred and swearing from feeble minded sheep.

What we need is a family area. That would solve all the problems. I would suggest the far end of the Main Stand away from the North Stand.

Then you can sing your song to Mr Roberts, but I have always wondered why we sing that particular song? The lyrics quite clearly are an open offer to have anal intercourse with the recipient of the song. :shock: Each to their own, but not my cup of tea.
;)
Mark S

Postby marky » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:54 pm

badger wrote:DO YOU TAKE IT UP YOUR ARSE TONY ROBERTS

Personally I find that chant to be among the most offensive. You wouldn't chant racist stuff (one hopes) and, for me, that chant is just as bad for different reasons.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby MTID » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:01 pm

marky wrote:

Personally I find that chant to be among the most offensive. You wouldn't chant racist stuff (one hopes) and, for me, that chant is just as bad for different reasons.

I cant even beleive you think that is the same as chanting racist stuff!! have you had a bad experience or summet??
8-)
MTID

Re: LET US MAKE A JOLLY ATMOSPHERE ON SATURDAY CHAPS!

Postby marky » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:04 pm

Personally no, but I know many people who have been on the end of that kind of 'abuse' and it is just as bad. Racism and homophobia are equally as bad for they have the same effect on the recipient.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby MTID » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:06 pm

The worlds going mad.
MTID

Postby shrimper » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:31 pm

....anyway..

Good shout bunny (and nice to see you've corrected the mis-spelling).

This Saturday it is more crucial than for a long time that we do make a good atmosphere and really get behind the team - and I mean giving them good support whatever is going on on the pitch.

We've had a less than magnificent start but the effort was certainly there on Saturday when we went away to a team with two wins already and took the game to them. We played 4-4-2 and really gave it a go. Okay it didn't quite come off and there were one or two (no more than that) who might look at their performances and think they can do better - but we weren't far off looking a good side and troubling opponents who will probably do well this season.

But I just wonder whether the fact that we were playing away may have been a factor. It's far too early to make such assumptions of course but the fact we've played quite well in two away games and then looked overly cautious, nervy and indecisive in the home game mustn't be allowed to become an issue.
One thing that could contribute to that would be if the crowd start getting on the team's back at every little misplaced pass or mistimed tackle.
They need to play with confidence, ambition and a positive attitude.

That's the only way we'll start putting the wins together and people shouting at individuals for little mistakes - or booing the team or the manager if we do go a goal down can only hinder that.

I don't subscribe to the 'we need to let them know if they've played badly and we're not happy' view.

Yes, people pay their money and they have the 'right' to say whatever they want (within reason) - but I've never understood what benefit booing brings to the club we all say we support.

If I was a player who'd had a poor game or had been part of a team that had lost badly, hearing boos and jeers from the crowd wouldn't make me play better next week - it would just make me more down and negative, cautious and nervy than I already was after a defeat.

On the other hand if I saw a crowd applauding and giving the 'determined fists' sign after a game - even if it wasn't justified by the performance, I'd probably think 'just look at them, we've played poorly and they are still backing us - we must be positive next time and really repay them for that loyalty'.

Difficult to do after seeing a poor display but it does make sense (IMO) if we want the team to improve.

Anyway, there you go, my two penn'orth.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby MTID » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:44 pm

Im not panicing just yet, we have only played 2 league games! If we get stuffed against Daggers on satdi then i might get a bit nervous!

We were never going to be able to replace Thommo and Baker they were a massive loss!
MTID

Postby Mark S » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:47 pm

MTID wrote:Im not panicing just yet, we have only played 2 league games! If we get stuffed against Daggers on satdi then i might get a bit nervous!

We were never going to be able to replace Thommo and Baker they were a massive loss!

So if I was to tell you that we had in fact played three League games, would you be a bit nervous? :twisted: :lol:
Mark S

Postby MTID » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:49 pm

Mark S wrote:
MTID wrote:Im not panicing just yet, we have only played 2 league games! If we get stuffed against Daggers on satdi then i might get a bit nervous!

So if I was to tell you that we had in fact played three League games, would you be a bit nervous? :twisted: :lol:

:lol: :lol: We better not bloody lose now!!!
MTID

Postby badger » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:03 pm

marky wrote:

I dont think anyone would condone phobic behavior as it seems like bullying to me . This is Football humour and is sung 'tongue in cheek' and is not met to be homophobic, but i can see how some might see it that way...What upsets me and probably a lot of others is when chants have an aggressive tone .. regardless of content ..as this is definatley bullying at its worst do you agree
badger

Postby shrimper » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:06 pm

badger wrote:
marky wrote:
.........'tongue in cheek'

Eeeeurrgh!
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby bunny » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:11 pm

:lol: Got that in one shrimper!.
bunny

Postby MTID » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:12 pm

:lol: :lol:

I spotted that but didnt dare post a comment!!
MTID

Postby badger » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:17 pm

MTID wrote::lol: :lol:

I spotted that but didnt dare post a comment!!

which means what !! i cant imagine
badger

Postby Posh » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:32 pm

badger wrote:the song is not met to be homophobic

The song is either homophobic or it's very homosexual in nature.

I agree with Mark S that the song is a request from the singer to enquire to the target of the song if they are willing to engage in anal sex with them.

The song effectively goes as follows. Excuse me Mr Opposition Manager do you like to have anal intercourse? The reason I ask is that my penis weighs about four ounces, is hairy and is capable of ejaculation so would you be interested in doing it with me.

Each to their own but I don't sing it, except to John Coleman because I like a bit of rough.

Last line added for for comedy value. No, seriously. Etc.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Currey » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:54 pm

Any you will never guess who has another Saturday off?!?!?!? :lol:
Currey

Postby Number 1 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:01 pm

"I pays my money so I should be able to shout what I like" (To paraphrase)

It's an age old argument but for me, this is absolute bollocks.

If you go to the theatre and don't like the show, do you shout abuse to the actors such as "Hey get your act together, that line was crap!"? No. You just talk about how you didn't like it afterwards, and potentially don't go and see it or the actors again.

If you go to the Snooker championships and see that Ronnie isn't doing too well do you shout "You should have potted that ball you tosser!" ? No, you remember that next time, he'll probably win anyway.

If you get a faulty item from a shop, do you shout at the assistant that the item is "Bleeding crap and you're a tit for selling it"? No. (Well hopefully not anyway) You ask for the manager and get your money back and you're reasonable about it.

If you go to a restaurant and don't like the food, you don't shout at the top of your voice "Oi chef, that steak was disgusting, get me a better one!" ? No. (although again hopefully not). Again, you'll ask for the waiter, put forward your complaint and usually get some money off the bill, if not all of it.

The common denominator in all of the above examples is that football fans find themselves in the same scenarios, yet don't feel the need to act like they do when at a football match. So why do they when they're at the place they probably prefer to be more than any other. It just doesn't make sense.

Point being, for me, is that as a SUPPORTER, we should SUPPORT our team, PARTICULARLY when they're playing badly, as it's then when they need us most. It's ok to criticise on here and anywhere else, but when they're on that pitch, they need us so we should act accordingly.

PS did you convert like I suggested Currey?
Number 1

Postby Keith » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:24 pm

Number 1 wrote:"I pays my money so I should be able to shout what I like" (To paraphrase)

It's an age old argument but for me, this is absolute bollocks.

If you go to the theatre...

If you go to the Snooker championships...

If you get a faulty item from a shop...

If you go to a restaurant...

while I kind of accept your argument your analogy falls down because I'm pretty sure that if I went in to a theatre and shouted through out the performance I'm likely to be thrown out. Likewise, I'd probably not be served in a restaurant or shop if I was clapping and singing "MORECAMBE" as loud as I can.

And if I was at the snooker championship I'd be snoring, which would probably be why he missed in the first place!!!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby badger » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:34 pm

can anyone tell the fans what songs we will be singing on saturday?
badger

Postby slackAlice » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:09 pm

badger wrote:can anyone tell the fans what songs we will be singing on saturday?

'Abide with me' IF were 3-0 down at half time !

Only Joking = How about a raucous rendition of 'Bring me sunshine' for starters:

Bring me Sunshine, in your smile,
Bring me Laughter, all the while,
In this world where we live, there should be more happiness,
So much joy you can give, to each brand new bright tomorrow.

Make me happy, through the years,
Never bring me, any tears,
Let your arms be as warm as the sun from up above,
Bring me fun, bring me sunshine, bring me love
slackAlice

Next

Return to General Discussion