A special thank you - DeeBee

A special thank you - DeeBee

Postby Gnasher » Sat May 22, 2010 11:29 pm

Far too many years ago I met DeeBee in the Dog and, indirectly, offered a job. I took the test, passed, changed career and work for and with DeeBee for nearly 22 years. DeeBee has long since been a sponsor of Morecambe FC using the company banner to sponsor matches and filled tables of 12 at gala draws since the switch to the Carlton.

Two weeks ago DeeBee retired. Not as well known as he is respected, I would just like to say a massive thank you to David for everything he has done for me, and Morecambe FC, over the years.

He was also usher at someone's wedding, I would tell you who that was but no doubt they will start a new thread to tell you themselves :lol:
Legally permitted to use "Gnasher" by DC Thomson's lawyers since 1999.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Re: A special thank you - DeeBee

Postby Aspers » Sun May 23, 2010 6:36 am

Many Happy retirements DeeBee,I was forever grateful for the Morecambe shirt you brought to Sydney for me and I was pleased to give you the memory of the Pink car ride back to the airport.
The daughtrs still got it BTW
. :lol:

Also I'm about to move house back to the beautiful Hawksbury River.
Part of the house is a B&B which my wife will be running.
Obviously special rates for S.V'ers.
Bunkhouse, deep water frontage Spa and Sauna, self contained hideaway.
Catch a fish off our pontoon and its in the pan cleaned with a bit of olive oil lemon and garlic within 5 minutes of catching it. Own tinnie to explore the river and estuaries.
5 star restaurant minutes away. Boathouse and fish and chip cafe selling the essentials (grog etc).
Better book early we're full until for the next 2 months.
45 minutes from the Sydney Metropolitn area and the gateway to the central coast.
Aspers

Postby Aspers » Sun May 23, 2010 6:43 am

Aspers

Postby Christies Child » Sun May 23, 2010 6:57 am

Best wishes for your retirement Dave.

Too many memeories of years gone past but the one that neither I or Roberta will ever forget is that barmy summers day in June all those years ago. That day will long live in the memory bank.

Enjoy whatever the future holds.

A true friend...

Neil and Roberta
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Posh » Sun May 23, 2010 7:14 am

Happy retirement David. Not just Gnasher and MFC who are grateful but the whole of Lancaster and beyond. Aldcliffe Computers and now Tribal must have generated millions in taxes over the years and created loads of jobs. You should be proud of everything you've done.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Keith » Sun May 23, 2010 8:47 am

Enjoy your retirement David, say hello to Aspers' when you book in to his B&B (although to be honest it looks a bit naff, he could do with someone coming and taking fresh photos if it's going to be a business, perhaps find someone who'd be cheap, I don't know, cover the cost of travel there or something, wouldn't want to put the new venture under too much additional cost...) Where was I? Oh yeah, see you at the Globe David!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby DeeBee » Sun May 23, 2010 12:52 pm

Thanks for the good wishes guys. It really is the End of an Era - and the start of a new one!

It seems like only yesterday that I was dragged into Christie Park in ’57 to watch some scruffy oiks in baggy shorts running around chasing a leather ball. I was hooked. I’ve stood in the middle of the North Stand/Umbro Stand/Scratting Shed/etc. ever since and loved ever minute. Many years later it felt great to be able to sponsor matches and MFC events and put something back.

A wise man (or was it Aspers) once said that the friends that you make at football are different to any others. You go through so many shared emotions together it creates a very special bond. I began to realise a few years ago, like many others, that our club is very special indeed. From the Board, management, players, staff and fans we have a relationship and ethos that is admired and envied by more people than we could ever imagine. I was working in Ipswich the week after they played at CP and was told by a seasoned Ipswich supporter that their visit to Morecambe was the best away trip he had ever been on. “We’ve never been treated so well in any other place in the country” how many times have we heard that? One of the great things about that fantastic night on Thursday was that the TV cameras were there to witness our amazing supporters, as the sea fret magically rolled in, giving a standing ovation to the Daggers and mixing happily with their fans on the pitch. The Sky commentators seemed very surprised - we weren’t.

And Gnasher, it was fate, as usual with Aldcliffe, that I bumped into you in the Dog that night – whenever we needed somebody they always turned up – now look where it’s got you! A day trip to Malta when Christie Park is hosting its last ever match. :D

Hi Aspers – your new place looks fantastic. I might just surprise you one day and turn up on your doorstep with a re-spray kit. I look forward to the MFC pre-season tour of Oz when 200 SVer’s use your place as a base. With you in attendance we would, of course, loose every match 6 - 0. (We’ve been practicing quite recently). :(

How could I ever forget that barmy day in June and also later walking down the prom with you Neil, in front of the team bus the day after our first visit to Wembley? I discovered last night that “1973/74 Morecambe” has completely disappeared from the base of the FA Trophy. Too many sweaty hands holding it aloft must have obliterated it. If that bus had speeded up a bit this message board would have been much quieter place! :lol: By the way, give my best wishes to Roberta and bring her round it’s ages since I’ve seen her.

Keep up the good work Posh. This area needs all the thriving new high tech businesses it can get to sustain it in the future. Little did I know when I was made redundant from Storeys where that would lead and what an opportunity it would create. When you start a small local business you can only dream of where it might take you – sometimes dreams do come true with the most unexpected results. If somebody had told me in ’57 that I would be sponsoring matches at the club I would have had them certified. :o

What we all would be doing now, Keith if you hadn’t had the bright idea to set up a forum just for Morecambe supporters. You now and Brian previously have done a great job hosting Shrimpsvoices so we can spend hours reading all this rubbish, rumours, innuendo, gossip, water related nonsense, drunken ramblings and general miss-information about the club we all love. But occasionally, very occasionally something appears quite unexpected out of the blue like Jim’s message from the players that beings a lump to your throat and a tear to your eye. Oh and of course Aspers’ ramblings and name droppings. And Keith’s pictures. Oh and I forgot the Chat Room – what have the Roman’s done for us! :o

My new career might just have started last Tuesday when Peter Kay asked me to appear in Rick Astley’s video for his new release Lights Out which he was directing. It was good of Brian May and Roger Taylor to put in an appearance on my birthday celebration at the Dominion in London in the middle of Bohemian Rhapsody. My new drums haven’t arrived yet by the way.

See Aspers, I’ve learnt something after all - how to ramble on, and on, and on .......... and name drop! :lol: :lol:

Thanks again for your good wishes. Onwards and upwards to the Globe.
David (DeeBee)
DeeBee

Return to General Discussion