A Message from the lads (old thread)

Re: A Message from the lads

Postby simmy » Thu May 20, 2010 6:18 am

Thanks for that Jim, a great post, which not only sums up the hurt / shock that everyone with the club felt on Sunday, but also Morecambe FC as a club and Jim Bentley as a man.

Everyone can take pride in the way that the club has continued to progress over the past three seasons, although there have been a few shocks and disappointments along the way. However, there have also been so many highs and to achieve our highest ever league position shows that we are still going in the right direction and have plenty going for us.

I did not post after Sunday because, like many others, I could not take in what had happened. However, whatever the result tonight lets all make it an evening to remember and show those watching on Sky what a great club we are both on and off the pitch.
simmy

Postby Christies Child » Thu May 20, 2010 6:26 am

I can only echo the thoughts of my fellow Shrimps fans.

You may be Captain of only a small club by name (Shrimps) but you are the Captain of a lionheart of a club which will never be defeated.

Go out tonight and do it for yourselves and those on the terraces who will always support the club wherever and whenever.

CC
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Martin » Thu May 20, 2010 6:33 am

A superb gesture, Jim.

Sunday was a real horror show, but most of us that were there saw it for what it was - one of those games where it simply didn't work on the day and Dagenham were ruthless enough to make us pay.

Thanks for taking the time out to tell us how you all feel, it can't have been easy.

I'll be there tonight as usual!
Martin

Postby Posh » Thu May 20, 2010 6:40 am

Brilliant Jim.

Morecambe fans love players who give 100% and wear the badge with pride. You do it all and more. Just proud to have you here. Legend.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby abc123 » Thu May 20, 2010 6:58 am

I thought I wasn't going to cry till tonight :(

Thanks very much Jim.
abc123

Postby broadwayshrimp » Thu May 20, 2010 6:59 am

Jim as a football fan yourself you will have understood the hurt and disappointment we felt on Sunday so I salute you for coming on here and giving a public apology for that performance. Whatever the result tonight, we have had a fantastic season and you are a fantastic captain. Good luck to you and the lads tonight.
broadwayshrimp

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Thu May 20, 2010 7:20 am

Thanks for the very honest and heartfelt posting Jim.

Good luck on the 30th May ( Play-off final preferably but if not then your wedding day!)
Last edited by Heysham_Shrimp on Thu May 20, 2010 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby Lordy99 » Thu May 20, 2010 7:23 am

Thanks Jimbo. It's honour and heart-felt sentiment like this that makes me so damn proud to be a Morecambe fan. Your post brought a tear to my eye (not much fun on a train full of commuters) and I'm proud to have you as the captain of my team.

I'll be there tonight screaming my lungs out and saying goodbye to the Crusty Pie...

I BELIEVE!

Look out Daggers..."Bentley's gonna sort you out!"
http://blip.fm/~qp16c

...and remember how much Uncle Sol liked it!
Lordy99

Postby Ntini » Thu May 20, 2010 7:49 am

Great leaders are almost always great simplifiers, who can cut through argument, debate, and doubt to offer a solution everybody can understand."

Jim you've done us proud yet again. We couldn't ask for a better captain. Good luck for tonight.

We all thought the support on Sunday was brilliant, now let's show the world what we can be like at home!!!

A rowsing farewell to "good 'ald Crusty"!!!

HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!
HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!!!

On topic(ish) and proud!
Ntini

Postby Mike (D&R) » Thu May 20, 2010 8:07 am

OK I'm even more irrationally nervous now. It takes a big man to be that straight after something like Sunday.

One minor point though, Bob Crow is a Millwall fan who was there Sunday as a guest of one of the sponsors, he is not a Dagger. There is huge respect between Dagenham & Redbridge and Morecambe fans, two clubs that seem to have been intertwined somehow for ten seasons now.

Good luck tonight (but not too much luck).
Mike (D&R)

Postby Ntini » Thu May 20, 2010 8:15 am

Mike (D&R) wrote:OK I'm even more irrationally nervous now. It takes a big man to be that straight after something like Sunday.

One minor point though, Bob Crow is a Millwall fan who was there Sunday as a guest of one of the sponsors, he is not a Dagger. There is huge respect between Dagenham & Redbridge and Morecambe fans, two clubs that seem to have been intertwined somehow for ten seasons now.

Good luck tonight (but not too much luck).

Jim IS a big man :lol: :lol: :lol:
HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!!!

On topic(ish) and proud!
Ntini

Postby villan » Thu May 20, 2010 8:19 am

6-7!!!
villan

Postby Bare shrimp » Thu May 20, 2010 8:20 am

Great post Jim very insperational. Im sure you and the rest of the lads will go out there tonight and give us all a performance to be proud of :D
Bare shrimp

Postby Heysham_red » Thu May 20, 2010 8:26 am

A great gesture no doubt. We were all shell shocked on Sunday but the realists among us know that finishing 4th was an amazing achievement and the defeat was exactly what Jim said. A blip. disappointed with the result but not with the season and when the season is officially over this year will still have been Morecambe Football Clubs' finest ever!

All the lads, players and staff have done a great job, 1 result doesn't change that, which is why i don't feel Jim needed to do this, making it an even greater gesture in my opinion.

We are a very close club, something we can be proud of.

As for Dagenham, I would totally a agree a great punch of fans, hats off to them too.

Morecambe FC, bringing me sunshine, all my life!
Heysham_red

Postby parkyboy » Thu May 20, 2010 9:00 am

Great post from a fantastic guy who expects the best from his team and will get 200% tonite . Agreat season some great moments to remember lets go out of Christie with a bang
parkyboy

Postby dave wilky » Thu May 20, 2010 9:14 am

Great speech Jim......
Not heard better since the great Winston Churchill...
Stirring stuff and one hell of a battle cry for thursday night...
now go stuff the daggers ....
we can still do it...my prediction is still 6-0...and penalty win for us...
dave wilky

Postby Preston Shrimp » Thu May 20, 2010 10:06 am

Great and such a nice post Jim.
Thank you. Morecambe Til we Die :D
Preston Shrimp

Postby CASS » Thu May 20, 2010 10:23 am

Oh lord had to stop half way through "Filling up" What humility,passion and genuine regret for what happened. Takes a real man to come out and speak like that and you Sir are a real man no doubt and I salute you. I for one will not remember this season for one result It was the year The tinpot/shrimpers/from morcam were 4th in the League with all the massive clubs in the league no where near their shirt tails..Happy days ahead with more than ever to look forward to than ever (Apart from 3 years ago) Thanks Jim for you gesture on behalf of the players. I am convinced tonight will be fantastic and those that have read your post will go
"All out" to make it so...Thats it filling up again..... ;)
http://nbutalad.blogspot.com/
Reflections of a grand l'al spot.
CASS

Postby Crooky MFC » Thu May 20, 2010 10:26 am

I made this video in belief that we'd finish 7th.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR5K76bqEK4

BELIEVE !!!
Crooky MFC

Postby scar » Thu May 20, 2010 10:34 am

Great post Jim.

From presenting you with Man of the Match awards in the conference through chatting after matches in JB's through to just the other day, you've always been a fantastic ambassador to the club. Never one to gloss over poor performances or shirk from giving credit where it has been due.

I can't think of a more deserving club captain than yourself. If there was ever an "Honorary Sandgrownun" award, you'd be the first to receive it.

Good luck for tonight to you and the entire team.
scar

Postby John L » Thu May 20, 2010 11:01 am

Wow!!! Great post, Jim! That's really made my day! Dominic and I have thoroughly enjoyed supporting our home town club over the last seven or so years, having originally been pursuaded by a friend that, even for a non-league club, they play good football. I have to say that throughout this time you, Jim, have played a huge part to make this great club what it is, through your leadership, commitment and desire to be the very best, and you are an inspiration to every one of us who follows our club home and away. It's also been an absolute pleasure to meet you on a number of occasions. We have had some wonderful experiences at Christie Park, such as the play-off match against York, the JPT match against Port Vale and the league matches against Barnet, Peterborough, Rotherham, Bradford, Bury, Notts County, Bournemouth and Crewe amongst many others. To add to this, away trips to Deepdale (1st time around!), Molineux, Chester, MK Dons, Shrewbury and, of course, Wembley will live long in the memory and I'm certain that there will be many more to come! Like many others of the 523 who came to support you last Sunday, we proudly sang and clapped to the end, happily showing our continued appreciation as you all came off the pitch, because we all feel a big part of this family and we fully appreciate the efforts of you and your team-mates, win, lose or draw. This is what makes Morecambe the best club in the league and we will do the same tonight to help make it a special one. Whatever happens, you have all played huge parts in making this season the best ever for Morecambe FC and it's supporters and for this we will be forever grateful. Pepperami, Mossy, Moose, Jimbo, Stanners, Gaz, Waynaldo, Jevo, Wainer, Scotty, Manny, Fraser, Drummy, Aaron, Duffs, Willo, Matty, Mullers, Pazza, Henry, Rory, Ben and Will, you guys are Morecambe FC, so go out there tonight and give it your all for the fans, the club, the gaffer, the shirt.... and we will be there right behind you, giving our full support all the way, to make it a night to remember for each and every one of us. It's been an amazing ride so far, and it's going to get even better....
John L

Postby Castaway » Thu May 20, 2010 11:21 am

Wow. Jim Bentley - you are my legend! It takes some serious steel to come on here and apologise. It is so refreshing in this day and age in football to hear somewhere with such passion, honesty and intergrity lead this club forward on the pitch (John Terry you are not fit to be in the same sentence and Jimbo). I can't stress enough how much I want you to stay at the club after you finish being our rock in defence - we need to find a role which makes sense for you and your club.

I wasn't exactly excited to spend money travelling on the train from London and taking time off work when i'm snowed under, after Sunday's shower but Jim i'll be there tonight with a bit more fire in my belly after your rallying speach.

Morecambe till I die.
Castaway

Postby Joe Oh » Thu May 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Although Sunday was really hard to take, I'll always be more than happy with a season so long as the team has made progress. Moving from 11th to 4th is an incredible step- in Premier League terms that would be the same as Wigan (11th last season) getting in the Champions League. It makes the prospect of our 4th season in the Football League even more exciting.

On top of that, I was lucky enough to witness that ridiculous come back against Crewe which was an amazing experience.

I feel lucky to support Morecambe at such an exciting period in our history and to have such a down to earth captain who is capable of speaking to the fans in such an honest way.
Joe Oh

Postby darrenlock » Thu May 20, 2010 12:40 pm

Good luck Jim liked reading your message i'll be at Christie Park tonight i am going 3-1
darrenlock

Postby johno » Thu May 20, 2010 12:49 pm

well said jim i know how distraught you were after the game nothing to lose tonight but everything to gain history in the making.
johno

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion