Sammy

Re: Sammy

Postby bigreddog » Wed May 19, 2010 9:34 pm

no you're confusing "would call for his head" with "have called for his head on here"

are you suggesting that sammy is reacting therefore to things that have never been said in the first place? maybe he's just hear a rumour of what was written and got the wrong end of the stick maybe?
Fans' Club Morecambe

join the facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home.php?sk=group_183535545003563&id=193325224024595&notif_t=like
Updated, interactive, snazzy website coming soon...
bigreddog

Postby RedRedWine1 » Wed May 19, 2010 10:03 pm

I think he is having a pop at the people who didn't make an effort to get down to Dagenham, yet within minutes of or even before the final whistle on Sunday they had made an effort to get on this forum and start slating the team. He probably doesn't dispute that the side deserve the majority of the criticism for that particular display (we were crap after all), but he probably questions at times (as I often do) what often appears to be wasted and wayward direction of some of the supporters energy on here. Just a thought.
RedRedWine1

Postby Morecambe Player » Wed May 19, 2010 10:12 pm

The Fury wrote: Admittedly, I have no idea if he did approach the fans after the final whistle at Dagenham on Sunday.

I can guarantee that he did. If only for the fact that the new dressing rooms are under the away stand... ;)
Morecambe Player

Postby Keith » Wed May 19, 2010 10:24 pm

bigreddog wrote:no you're confusing "would call for his head" with "have called for his head on here"

are you suggesting that sammy is reacting therefore to things that have never been said in the first place? maybe he's just hear a rumour of what was written and got the wrong end of the stick maybe?

The Morecambe manager Sammy McIlroy has rounded on a minority of the clubs fans, telling them not to be at Christie Park for tomorrow's last ever game against Dagenham in the play off semi final second leg.
McIlroy is upset by comments left on a shrimps fan's web site following Sunday's six nil defeat and he feels the expectation level at the club is unrealistic...

"You get the odd quote from one or two so called supporters who right after the final whistle go on the web site and start knocking myself and knocking the players. As far as I'm concerned I wish those people would stay away because at the end of the day, these lads have given me one hundred and twenty percent this season. To get to the play off with the situation we were in at the start of the season has been an absolutely magnificent effort from these boys but in football you can't please everyone, and especially at Morecambe where expectations now have gone right out of the window."
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby shrimper » Wed May 19, 2010 11:19 pm

Morecambe Player wrote:
The Fury wrote: Admittedly, I have no idea if he did approach the fans after the final whistle at Dagenham on Sunday.

I can guarantee that he did. If only for the fact that the new dressing rooms are under the away stand... ;)

I know you're only joking but just in case anyone should take that comment seriously I can confirm that not only did Sammy approach the Morecambe fans and applaud their support, he grabbed the arms of several players who were shaking hands with opponents and turned them toward the fans urging them to do the same, which they did despite their obvious embarrassment at the score and their display.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby NeilG » Wed May 19, 2010 11:31 pm

Sammy is as entitled to his opinion as anyone else and I understand his frustration particularly with the habitual thread starter who seems to enjoy the controversy and the attention it brings his way.
We've had a fantastic season and to jump all over him and the team so quickly after that horrible defeat was so knee jerk and out of order in my opinion.
Let's just take a deep breath and count to ten on this before it gets silly, we've one more game at Christie Park and such a lot to look forward to.

Come on Morecambe !
NeilG

Postby Blackpool Shrimp » Wed May 19, 2010 11:41 pm

Habitual thread starter now who could that be...mmm lets think
Blackpool Shrimp

Postby NeilG » Wed May 19, 2010 11:56 pm

Fgh shrimp wrote:Habitual thread starter now who could that be...mmm lets think

Aspers :lol: ;)
NeilG

Postby George Dawes » Thu May 20, 2010 8:43 am

RedRedWine wrote:I think he is having a pop at the people who didn't make an effort to get down to Dagenham, yet within minutes of or even before the final whistle on Sunday they had made an effort to get on this forum and start slating the team. He probably doesn't dispute that the side deserve the majority of the criticism for that particular display (we were crap after all), but he probably questions at times (as I often do) what often appears to be wasted and wayward direction of some of the supporters energy on here. Just a thought.

yeah thats what id like to think
George Dawes

Postby Keith » Thu May 20, 2010 10:18 am

NeilG wrote:Sammy is as entitled to his opinion as anyone else and I understand his frustration particularly with the habitual thread starter who seems to enjoy the controversy and the attention it brings his way.
We've had a fantastic season and to jump all over him and the team so quickly after that horrible defeat was so knee jerk and out of order in my opinion.
Let's just take a deep breath and count to ten on this before it gets silly, we've one more game at Christie Park and such a lot to look forward to.

Come on Morecambe !

Where? Rotherham fans were booing and jeering Ronnie Moore after we beat them at Christie Park a few weeks ago, Luton "fans" invaded the pitch and threw missiles at the York players after they lost their play off game. We've had a message board that has been very realistic, almost entirely supportive, without any 'sack the manager' type comments and a generally very positive, looking forward to tonight, feel until last night. Yes, 'Sammy is as entitled to has opinion as anyone else', that includes 'the habitual thread starter', it goes both ways.

And this is a Morecambe message board, where it isn't too surprising that we discuss Morecambe football club. After a 6-0 defeat in a play off semi-final, it is not surprising that there was some discussion as to where it all went wrong. And if Sammy doesn't like that... well perhaps it would be better if he stayed away :roll:
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby marky No.1 » Thu May 20, 2010 10:23 am

Keith, calm down mate i've never seen/heard you in such a state!

Don't take it to heart man, it's not a personal dig against you or your fabulous messageboard.

We are all in this together eh? :D
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Keith » Thu May 20, 2010 10:43 am

marky No.1 wrote:Keith, calm down mate i've never seen/heard you in such a state!

Don't take it to heart man, it's not a personal dig against you or your fabulous messageboard.

We are all in this together eh? :D

:oops: :D :D :D
Yeah, you are right. It 'felt' like a personal attack though because I was critical of the negative line up. Mind you, I was critical of it when I was talking to my friend before the game kicked off, so at least I was consistent! We're both on the ferry, heading to Christie Park tonight though :P :D :D :D (He's snoring, great company! EEEYYYY LES from a section of the North Stand tonight! (It was his 'Wembley greeting")

Keith
Site Admin

Postby scar » Thu May 20, 2010 11:02 am

He would have been better to acknowledge the exceptionaly support at Daggers from the travelling fans and the fact that the team didn't perform - as JB said, they just weren't at the races!

But to berate and state that you can't please everyone 'especially at Morecambe' seems as knee jerk a reaction you could possibly get! Then to go on and suggest that fans who may criticise should stay away when the club are attempting to garner more supporters per game is just crazy.

I personally feel Sammy does a cracking job, he's achieved fabulous things at the club, promotion from the conference, 4th place finish & play off's with limited funds (given that our average gates are just over 2,200).
scar

Postby Ntini » Thu May 20, 2010 11:31 am

Maybe Sammy should have referred to the following technique in his interview:
It may just have softened the blow, especially to 'certain thread starters' :roll: who may have preferred a snack-based alternative!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!!!

On topic(ish) and proud!
Ntini

Postby marky No.1 » Thu May 20, 2010 11:39 am

Keith wrote:Yeah, you are right.

Thanks! :lol: Have a safe journey, sorry there won't be a chaffeur waiting for you this week ;)

scar wrote:He would have been better to acknowledge the exceptionaly support at Daggers from the travelling fans and the fact that the team didn't perform - as JB said, they just weren't at the races!

Not condoning his statement in any way but he will have been under immense pressure this week, as well as from behind the dugout on Sunday, which was totally out of order. He will have gone through all the emotions that we have but probably 5 fold as that is his job and personally, although I (as a fan) don't like being criticised, I can understand his anguish and the want to hit out at somebody.

Who thinks he will be the next one to sign up on SV's with an apology? :lol:

Great achievement for the season Sammy :D
marky No.1

Postby shrimper » Thu May 20, 2010 11:45 am

I agree that Sammy should ignore the few consistent gripers and just get on with the great job he's doing.
Having said that, I also agree with him, though, that some people are too quick to criticise and use one poor performance (either as a team or in some cases individually) to make statements of the 'this just goes to prove' variety, totally ignoring many other games and performances when the team or an individual player has done well.

We finished fourth over a long season yet according to some, after Sunday's massive collective hiccup, suddenly half the players who had got us to that position were, all of a sudden, not good enough to play for Morecambe next season.

We DO need to strengthen if we are to improve - every team needs to, every year - Sammy knows that, it's his job to.

He should rise above it all, I absolutely agree and, by and large, the fans are great with him and the team.

But, just as he could take a breath before making certain comments, so could others.

(And I'm not saying people shouldn't say whatever they want, this is a discussion and opinion board, just that when they do come out with what others may see as 'knee-jerk' comments they should expect a bit of flak and deal with it).

We WERE absolute pants on Sunday, no-one can argue with that - but it wasn't typical and the team and players shouldn't be written off because of it, as a few came very close to doing.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby P/T Indie » Thu May 20, 2010 11:46 am

Maybe Sammy should view it more like Jimbo did

"feel the criticism aimed at us is fair (to a certain extent) as it is fair when we play well and receive the good comments and pats on the back. I’m no different, I criticise/applaud my team, it’s my opinion at the end of the day and you lot are no different your entitled to yours and that’s what makes the game great."
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby marky No.1 » Thu May 20, 2010 11:49 am

P/T Indie wrote:Maybe Sammy should view it more like Jimbo did

"feel the criticism aimed at us is fair (to a certain extent) as it is fair when we play well and receive the good comments and pats on the back. I’m no different, I criticise/applaud my team, it’s my opinion at the end of the day and you lot are no different your entitled to yours and that’s what makes the game great."

Don't see why we should be referred to as "you lot" tho :lol:
marky No.1

Postby MORECAMBE_RULE » Thu May 20, 2010 11:54 am

I think I understand what Sammy is getting at.

I would regard myself as a good fan, I was ecstatic when we made the playoffs, season ticket holder for the past 4 seasons. When we lost at Dagenham, I was distraught, I was down for the rest of the day and tried to avoid football for a while. However there were some people who immediately came on here slagging off the team. If they were real fans they would have felt that defeat and not wanted to come on here. So I believe what Sammy is saying is these 'supporters' aren't welcome if they're going to spread negativity everywhere. So I believe Sammy was right in his comments as he wasn't having a go at Morecambe supporters but a minority of 'fans'
1 Notts County 46 65 93
2 Bournemouth 46 17 83
3 Rochdale 46 34 82
4 SHRIMPS 46 9 73
MORECAMBE_RULE

Postby marky » Thu May 20, 2010 12:09 pm

MORECAMBE_RULE wrote:If they were real fans they would have felt that defeat and not wanted to come on here.

Complete and utter rubbish. A basic knowledge of psychology will inform you that people react to events in very different ways, dependent on your own personality traits, etc. The fact that your reaction was to avoid football (and this board) for a few hours is immaterial. That is how YOU reacted. Others (like myself) use the written or spoken word to express our anger, frustration, disappointment, etc. Doesn't make us 'untrue fans'.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby shrimper » Thu May 20, 2010 12:10 pm

marky No.1 wrote:
P/T Indie wrote:Maybe Sammy should view it more like Jimbo did

Don't see why we should be referred to as "you lot" tho :lol:

Absolutely - and I don't believe that's what Jim actually said.

He'd have said 'yous lot'!!
shrimper

Postby Dazzer » Thu May 20, 2010 12:15 pm

The disappointing thing is that if you were a 'follower' of Morecambe rather than somebody who attended Christie regularly, you would get the impression from watching Sammy interviews on TV and the Radio, that we as a bunch of fans, were all moaning whingers.

There wasn't one single Morecambe fan at Dagenham on Sunday that didn't stand up and join in the "Stand up if you love Morecambe" chant. And this at 6-0 down.
But the general public will have an image of us as moaners. Thanks for that Sammy.

Ok there were one or two knockers on here after the game, but hello! - we had just lost an important game 6-0. What on earth did he expect?

As Jim McDonald would quite rightly say - "Sammy - catch yerself on man"
Dazzer

Postby MORECAMBE_RULE » Thu May 20, 2010 12:29 pm

marky wrote:
MORECAMBE_RULE wrote:If they were real fans they would have felt that defeat and not wanted to come on here.

Complete and utter rubbish. A basic knowledge of psychology will inform you that people react to events in very different ways, dependent on your own personality traits, etc. The fact that your reaction was to avoid football (and this board) for a few hours is immaterial. That is how YOU reacted. Others (like myself) use the written or spoken word to express our anger, frustration, disappointment, etc. Doesn't make us 'untrue fans'.

This is exactly what sammy is on about. He doesn't want the angry fans. Everyone that came on immediately after the game was angry and was expressing it. You wouldn't come on here to express how distraught you were feeling would you?
1 Notts County 46 65 93
2 Bournemouth 46 17 83
3 Rochdale 46 34 82
4 SHRIMPS 46 9 73
MORECAMBE_RULE

Postby marky » Thu May 20, 2010 1:17 pm

Yes, I would. But then I'm not afraid of expressing emotions like that. But again, you are inferring that to be a true fan, you had to feel distraught at losing 6-0, not angry. I repeat that people react in different ways. Emotions and reactions differ in the same way that opinions do. What Sammy fails to understand is that people being angry or frustrated or disappointed or embarrassed is not an indication that there is an unrealistic level of expectation, nor does it mean that they are not true fans and should stay away. Frankly, if people care enough to express it on here (particularly those who are regular posters anyway) then it shows that they are true fans. We had lost 6-0 to a team we've taken 4 points from this season. I don't think it was unrealistic to expect at least a relatively even match and I don't believe the reaction to such a heavy defeat was in any way an indication of overly high expectation levels. To that end, I believe Sammy is fundamentally wrong in his assertions. He's been an international football manager for goodness sake. He should already know that the mild criticisms at Morecambe are nothing compared to the pressures at that level, which makes his comments even more surprising. Anyway, onwards and upwards. His task is now to restore some pride (though he shouldn't really need to say anything to the players on that front).
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby MORECAMBE_RULE » Thu May 20, 2010 1:41 pm

Ok, I respect your opinion, as you say everyone differs mentally. I just believe that some people were wrong thats all.
1 Notts County 46 65 93
2 Bournemouth 46 17 83
3 Rochdale 46 34 82
4 SHRIMPS 46 9 73
MORECAMBE_RULE

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion