Ins And Outs Next Season

Re: Ins And Outs Next Season

Postby shrimper » Tue May 18, 2010 12:49 pm

Just a small point, I don't think Pugh would be available on a free as he's young enough for Hereford to demand a fee, having offered him a reasonable contract.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby MORECAMBE_RULE » Tue May 18, 2010 12:52 pm

Outs:
Davies - conference level
Bentley - would be more beneficial as a coach and hes not getting any younger
Winters - conference level
Poole - conference level
McLachlan - not good enough
Panther (dont renew) - dont need him
Curtis - doesn't score enough, not good enough IMO
Mullin - too old and Sunday showed we need a replacement
Jevons (dont renew) - slow, non existant at times and needs to score more to warrant a contract
1 Notts County 46 65 93
2 Bournemouth 46 17 83
3 Rochdale 46 34 82
4 SHRIMPS 46 9 73
MORECAMBE_RULE

Postby Ntini » Tue May 18, 2010 12:58 pm

MORECAMBE_RULE wrote:Jevons offers little, he is slow and isn't a presence. Too often we have seen him forced out of games and this dry period he's having, shows we need a more consistent striker. Plus if you dont include penalties, he's actually only scored one more than mullin. Mullin isn't meant to be the goalscorer, he puts them on a plate for other people, whereas Jevons sole job is to score, and he hasn't done that well enough for me.

And as for Taylor, I like him, he has a knack for knowing where the goal is and he is only 19. He will grow physically and become a better player. He hasnt been given a chance this season and back when he played with Rene Howe, he looked really handy to have.

Just for argument's sake:
Firstly, I would say it's not a dry period, more of an injured period. I would also regard any forward as someone who is there to try and score. I think if you spoke to Mullin at the start of every season, as with any striker, he'd tell you the number of goals he hopes to score that year. And finally, Jevons was the top goalscorer this season. He may have scored a few from the spot, but he's won a lot of penalties for us, as well as setting up other goals. I persoanlly see it as a good partnership to have and build on next year. It may be that we can bring in someone with even more pace to play up front. I think they've done well this year and at least we have something to build on for next season.
HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!!!

On topic(ish) and proud!
Ntini

Postby George Dawes » Tue May 18, 2010 1:06 pm

MORECAMBE_RULE wrote:Jevons offers little, he is slow and isn't a presence. Too often we have seen him forced out of games and this dry period he's having, shows we need a more consistent striker. Plus if you dont include penalties, he's actually only scored one more than mullin. Mullin isn't meant to be the goalscorer, he puts them on a plate for other people, whereas Jevons sole job is to score, and he hasn't done that well enough for me.

And as for Taylor, I like him, he has a knack for knowing where the goal is and he is only 19. He will grow physically and become a better player. He hasnt been given a chance this season and back when he played with Rene Howe, he looked really handy to have.

your more than initial to your opinion and you should be respected for it, ive recently voiced my opinion on here about his form and that his goals had dried up and he needed replacing but was subject to name calling by some morons on here who dont understand a game of football

but my opinion of Jevons is we should sign him he wants to play for us(bonus), i think the problem is we need to play proper football on the deck by playing quick passing football to feet, thats when you will get the best from him to hit easly 20+ goals a season

but we need to sign 2 maybe 3 creative footballers who can pass a ball alowing us to keep possession of the ball and also taking pressure off our defenders

as am still not convinced although i like Mullin, that Mullin is the ideal partner for Jevons we just hoof long balls up to him when he's on the field and then Jevons i think gets pissed off
Last edited by George Dawes on Tue May 18, 2010 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George Dawes

Postby Morecambe Jack » Tue May 18, 2010 1:14 pm

My opinion is that no sane club would release their top two goal scorers as he is suggesting (Jevons and Mullin). I don't rate Taylor anywhere near as much as some people on here and I trust Sammy to make the right decision.
Morecambe Jack

Postby MORECAMBE_RULE » Tue May 18, 2010 1:40 pm

How many times have our strikers single handedly destroyed the opposition. Benson and Scott did it with their movement, pace and finishing. Now movement and pace is something we lack up front and finishing to an extent. So what I'm saying is we need a couple of strikers more like these 2
1 Notts County 46 65 93
2 Bournemouth 46 17 83
3 Rochdale 46 34 82
4 SHRIMPS 46 9 73
MORECAMBE_RULE

Postby Ntini » Tue May 18, 2010 1:46 pm

Unfortunately you picked an example where we were poor and their two fowards received the support. I think that we need to address the service our front men get. A good midfield will hopefully give us a better opportunity to see our strikers bag more goals.
HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!!!

On topic(ish) and proud!
Ntini

Postby ezz » Tue May 18, 2010 1:50 pm

MORECAMBE_RULE wrote:How many times have our strikers single handedly destroyed the opposition. Benson and Scott did it with their movement, pace and finishing. Now movement and pace is something we lack up front and finishing to an extent. So what I'm saying is we need a couple of strikers more like these 2

And Taylor is the answer?
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby MORECAMBE_RULE » Tue May 18, 2010 2:23 pm

ezz wrote:
MORECAMBE_RULE wrote:How many times have our strikers single handedly destroyed the opposition. Benson and Scott did it with their movement, pace and finishing. Now movement and pace is something we lack up front and finishing to an extent. So what I'm saying is we need a couple of strikers more like these 2

And Taylor is the answer?

Fair point but I dont think he's done anything wrong. As I said though we need 2 more strikers like this and a couple of others in backup, youth players so the wage bill is kept down. It must not be forgotten that we are a fairly small club financially and I would imagine Jevons would be on top wages at the club. And we could get people on a similar wage, not in their 30s and who add a bit more to the club. And back to the taylor point I see no point in getting rid of him when he's on small wages. Take a gamble on him, it could pay off.
1 Notts County 46 65 93
2 Bournemouth 46 17 83
3 Rochdale 46 34 82
4 SHRIMPS 46 9 73
MORECAMBE_RULE

Postby heysham_mfc » Tue May 18, 2010 5:58 pm

MORECAMBE_RULE wrote:Outs:
Davies - conference level
Bentley - would be more beneficial as a coach and hes not getting any younger
Winters - conference level
Poole - conference level
McLachlan - not good enough
Panther (dont renew) - dont need him
Curtis - doesn't score enough, not good enough IMO
Mullin - too old and Sunday showed we need a replacement
Jevons (dont renew) - slow, non existant at times and needs to score more to warrant a contract

but thats why hes a lower league player! hes done very well for us this season and is out top goal scorer. If he scored 30 goals a season and played well week in week out he would be siged up by a much bigger club than Morecambe. Oh and one more thing if we didn't sign Jevons who would you suggest we got in as a replacement?
heysham_mfc

Postby George Dawes » Tue May 18, 2010 6:31 pm

Ntini wrote:Unfortunately you picked an example where we were poor and their two fowards received the support. I think that we need to address the service our front men get. A good midfield will hopefully give us a better opportunity to see our strikers bag more goals.

in a nutshell thats the main area where SM needs to address and get the balance right both defensively & offensively in midfield

like i said last year if we'd had decent wingers/midfielders capable of passing the ball R Howe would have had 20+ goals last season and so would have Jevons this term

so our answer to our problems isn't signing even more strikers and defenders, just sort the midfield out!
George Dawes

Postby Christies Child » Tue May 18, 2010 6:43 pm

I'm amazed that a lot wish to let Winters go.

OK he hasn't figured in our first team, but he's been sent out on loan for a reason and that could be because Sammy and Mark realise that the guy isn't going to progress with the limited number of Res games we play. Remember he was highly acclaimed by Sammy and Mark and in the pre season games he impressed me.

So for me we keep hold of him.

Unfortuantely the other prospect at C/H, Smythe has gone to Northwich until the end of the season. He looked a good prospect and was the PNE Res Captain for a couple of seasons.

Res Manager Jimbo appeared quite impressed with him in the games I saw him play.

It's players of their ilk that we need to develop into first team regulars. Remember Parrish didn't exactly set the world on fire at first, but he's now a regular AND he's got age on his side.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby james456 » Tue May 18, 2010 9:00 pm

Christies Child wrote:I'm amazed that a lot wish to let Winters go.

OK he hasn't figured in our first team, but he's been sent out on loan for a reason and that could be because Sammy and Mark realise that the guy isn't going to progress with the limited number of Res games we play. Remember he was highly acclaimed by Sammy and Mark and in the pre season games he impressed me.

So for me we keep hold of him.

Unfortuantely the other prospect at C/H, Smythe has gone to Northwich until the end of the season. He looked a good prospect and was the PNE Res Captain for a couple of seasons.

Res Manager Jimbo appeared quite impressed with him in the games I saw him play.

It's players of their ilk that we need to develop into first team regulars. Remember Parrish didn't exactly set the world on fire at first, but he's now a regular AND he's got age on his side.

I agree on keeping Winters; if you read the kendal town forum, he got glowing reports from their fans and he's scored a couple too (I'm sure I read somewhere that he can play striker?).

Get him out on a season long loan somewhere with part of his wages covered and you're only paying a pittance for (IMO) a decent looking young prospect.
james456

Postby parceldave » Tue May 18, 2010 9:50 pm

so our answer to our problems isn't signing even more strikers and defenders, just sort the midfield out!

You wanted to sign Steve Williams before , anyway he has resigned for 1yr. But your right about midfield , it needs a Roy Keene in front of the back four and a Steve Gerrard play maker and 2 pacey wingers. But we need an Alan Shearer up front too. If Haining stays (not happy chappy at mo) then back four could be , Parrish, Haining , Drummy, Wilson. ;)
parceldave

Postby Christies Child » Wed May 19, 2010 6:26 am

parceldave wrote:so our answer to our problems isn't signing even more strikers and defenders, just sort the midfield out!

You wanted to sign Steve Williams before , anyway he has resigned for 1yr. But your right about midfield , it needs a Roy Keene in front of the back four and a Steve Gerrard play maker and 2 pacey wingers. But we need an Alan Shearer up front too. If Haining stays (not happy chappy at mo) then back four could be , Parrish, Haining , Drummy, Wilson. ;)

or Moss Parrish Drummy Wilson

or Moss Parrish Haining Wilson

I do see Parrish in a more central defensive position

As for Will staying, still for me the best defender we have although others will disagree no doubt.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Ntini » Wed May 19, 2010 8:42 am

In the long term I think that Wilson, Haining, Parrish and Moss is going to end up being our back four. I think possibly an addition would be good to replace Moss, but Jim and Dave are only going to get slower and more tired as next season progresses. I'd be happy to start next season with the following:

------------Jevons---Mullin----------
Pugh-------Stanley--Dawson-----Shuker
Wilson----Haining-----(???)-----Parrish
--------------Roche-(or A N Other)---

I don't know how likely it would be, but I would be happy with that as an improvement on this season.
Last edited by Ntini on Wed May 19, 2010 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!!!

On topic(ish) and proud!
Ntini

Postby lancaster shrimp » Wed May 19, 2010 9:06 am

team i would like to start next season is

Roche (please sign up barry)

Parrish Haining ??? Wilson

??? Stanners Dawson (From Bury)? Pugh

Jevo (Craddock Luton) Or Brodie (York)
lancaster shrimp

Postby lancaster shrimp » Wed May 19, 2010 9:06 am

team i would like to start next season is

lancaster shrimp

Postby Keith » Wed May 19, 2010 9:44 am

Jim & Dave Artell have, Sunday aside, been excellent recently and I certainly wouldn't write them off so easily. Jimbo offers much more than 90 minutes too. They may have periods on the bench next season but I can see one or the other on the pitch more often than not, possibly with someone a bit nippier alongside them.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby shrimper » Wed May 19, 2010 11:53 am

lancaster shrimp wrote:team i would like to start next season is

Dawson will be moving up a division and I have real fears that Will Haining's heart isn't in staying here if, as has been rumoured, others are in for him.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby George Dawes » Wed May 19, 2010 2:30 pm

you've all got me going now :P

Roche/Pilkington

Parrish Artell Haining Wilson

Higinbotham Stanley Dawson Pugh

Jevons Donaldson(Crewe)

with a good experienced reliable bench

Mullin(a great impact sub!!)
Drummond
Hunter
Moss
Duffy
Davis
George Dawes

Postby Ntini » Wed May 19, 2010 3:50 pm

Just noticed that Dean Cox is being released from his contract at Brighton. A nippy left winger with a good cross. He's made 146 appearances for them in the last five years, and he's only 22! Might be worth a one-year deal???
HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!!!

On topic(ish) and proud!
Ntini

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Wed May 19, 2010 4:07 pm

"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby parceldave » Wed May 19, 2010 10:22 pm

Keith wrote:Jim & Dave Artell have, Sunday aside, been excellent recently and I certainly wouldn't write them off so easily. Jimbo offers much more than 90 minutes too. They may have periods on the bench next season but I can see one or the other on the pitch more often than not, possibly with someone a bit nippier alongside them.

The thing is Keith we had the worst defensive record in the top half of League 2 and would you not agree that one of the main problems is lack of pace and inability to clear the ball from danger :?: . Just watching the Rotherham back four tonight and how they hardly gave the shotts strikers a snifter because they close them down so quickley and move the ball out quickley too putting the pressure back on Aldershot.
parceldave

Postby shrimper » Thu May 20, 2010 12:25 pm

Parrish may migrate to centre-back next season, I reckon, it's his preferred position anyway.

What I've heard last couple of days sounds slightly more promising re-Barry (but I'm not getting my hopes up).

I was doing a bit of digging last night and noticed that there are lots of good players who have refused contracts at their current clubs, have been released or are out of contract and looking for moves so it'll be interesting in the next weeks and months.

Pugh looks like he's attracting interest from a lot of clubs - Bournemouth being the big tip (though Leeds have been mentioned!!)

Keith Keane at Luton (high-energy midfielder) is stalling and looking like moving on.

Anyinsah (mentioned previously) says he wants to move back down south so probably no chance there (even if he was prepared to drop down a division which is highly unlikely).

As players released by Championship clubs get fixed up at League One sides, they then release players who drop down to League Two so there will be plenty available.
It's just getting the 'nuggets' either from the Conf and wanting to move up, or journeymen who can find their niche at our level and produce the goods (Jack Lester was never particularly prolific until he dropped down).

People have mentioned the players released at PNE, like Mellor and Chaplow. They won't drop two divisions (IMO), especially as they could easily link up with their old boss at Sheff Wed.

Should be fun, though, this close-season.
shrimper

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion