We just can't defend

Re: We just can't defend

Postby mfc sam » Mon May 17, 2010 9:35 am

the defence was just to slow and couldnt keep up with dagenhams pace but we can work on it as most of there goals were silly mistakes!
mfc sam

Postby mfcbro » Mon May 17, 2010 11:32 am

Slagged off before and justifiably so c.c.Please answer me a question when will you be happy? when we are in the premiership,go into administration or simply being a little northern club punching way above their weight.You are more up and down than a brides nightie.Like someone else said on this thread you have got to take in all the 46 games not just yesterday.All in all a tremendous season to finish 4th,after 10 games we were looking like relegation fodder,the same players i.e.crap defence,crap midfield too old and too slow and not to forget a forward line that wasnt much better battled and got us to 4th place in the league and kept us in shouting distance of maybe another trip to Wembley.Dont forget c.c. this was only our 3rd season in the league.I for 1 congratulate Sammy ,mark and the players for giving me a lot of enjoyment this season and look forward to next season at the new ground still a league 2 club.
mfcbro

Postby Blackpool Shrimp » Mon May 17, 2010 11:48 am

And on the way to becoming a well established football league club
Blackpool Shrimp

Postby shrimper » Mon May 17, 2010 12:21 pm

I said a long while ago (on one of Ned's "message to the rose-tinted fools" posts about us not being safe from relegation): "anyone who's watched football (and Morecambe) for any length of time knows that you can't judge a whole season on individual games."

And I think that's why you take a lot of stick, Neil. If we play really well then you're massively upbeat but one slip (or huge tumble, as in this case) and it's the end of the world.

Here's what I think:

Yesterday was appalling, no-one can say any different. The win at home to Bournemouth (and to Notts to be fair) were brilliant. But in truth our form lies between the two (as does that of a lot of teams). We've done well this season, better than most expected, a lot better.

Sammy's not daft and he knows he has to improve the team each season just to stand still.

I think a few things will happen.

He'll bring in a few players who he thinks will strengthen the team (and I mean 'team' not just the squad). He'll look for at least one more striker, with pace. He'll bring in another midfielder/forward to play out wide (also with pace).

He'll bring in another central midfielder who can 'run' games.

He'll bring in another centre-back OR he'll bring in another full-back and switch Parrish to centre-back. Haining is a quality player but has not been himself in recent weeks and I think his agent may be angling for a move.
He's on a contract so they'll have to pay - we should cash in.

Obviously also there's the Baz situation to sort out as well. I'd like to keep him but if he insists on going the wage we're paying him now should ensure we get a decent replacement. I'd settle for that (rather than be held to ransom) and use the salary to bring in other players.

There'll be a few releases yet and, depending on how Sammy's team building goes, then others who are still on contracts might be loaned out next season and eventually released to other clubs.

Last season we finished 11th and I said that, with a few additions we should be capable of pushing for the play-offs. Sammy made those additions and look what we did (forget yesterday, we got there and that's an improvement).

I think with a few more quality additions (and that's what Sammy is already working on, to even question that insults his intelligence), we can be even stronger next season and maybe get ourselves higher up, earlier.

But we might not - that's football.
Last edited by shrimper on Mon May 17, 2010 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby P/T Indie » Mon May 17, 2010 12:21 pm

Garry Hunter and Stewart Drummond, sadly, didn't show that today. Manny Panther came and showed, for the first time since his injury, that he's capable of playing a pass and I thought Jevo looked very tidy once coming on.

People will, rightly so, bemoan our centre backs. Arts and Jimbo were clueless; and highlighted how we could do with a cultured centre back in the mould of Blackie, but I would like to point out that, for me, far and away the worst defensive player on the pitch was Andy Parrish. I've often said that you can't expect to go to Dagenham and have any joy on the flanks yet, repeatedly, Dagenham murdered us down our right hand side. Andy's had a great six months, but today he was as, if not more so, culpable than the 'old guard'.

Spot on assesment away from home we are crying out for someone to get their foot on the ball and control the game, which I thought Drummound would do but sadly not.

Agreed Parish got hammered down his side but then everyone did and Hainning got mugged for the goal when he was in the corner (can't remb which goal it was I had lost count).

For me our form away from home is now like the JH days. Full of confidence at home but away we lack confidence and it's very scrappy no pattern of play etc. When Sammy first came we seemed to have resolved that problem and our performances away from home improved but we seem to have fallen back into our hold habbit.
Is it down to the tactics and the players not been comfortable with sitting back etc it's just seems to be very similar to how it used to be.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby ezz » Mon May 17, 2010 12:53 pm

It was like watching a sh*te saturday league team, players just kicking the ball as high and far as possible instead of looking for an outlet, the amount of times we fannyed around with theball on the edge of our own box was incredible. We looked stupid and poor at the same time, even then with the lack of quality was the lack of effort and closnig down that they did to great effect.

But thats not the annoying thing.....its a 2 leg match!!! We didn't even bother to try and keep it close for the second leg, instead we went all or nothing to try and get back in the match when it was clear we were being destroyed.
Bad decision and bad performance = pointless econd leg
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Keith » Mon May 17, 2010 1:31 pm

P/T Indie wrote:Is it down to the tactics and the players not been comfortable with sitting back etc it's just seems to be very similar to how it used to be.

Both of those, I've said elsewhere that a defensive, five man midfield, with two defenders in it, is not playing to our strengths. We've gone out to win games recently because we had to, and it's worked. Yesterday we lined up for a 0-0 and only achieved our part of that plan...

But on top of that, every Morecambe player had an off day and the pitch gave every bobble their way, from the moment Barry slipped for their first goal. Not only that, but they were all playing superbly.

We could re-run that fixture a hundred times and not end with that result.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Christies Child » Mon May 17, 2010 4:58 pm

There's been far more negativity from others on SVs after yesterday than myself.

If some take umbrage about what I say then so be it.

I'll continue to say it as I see it. Always have and always will.

I'll praise the team, the management and their achievements (as i have done in reaching 4th in only our 3rd season, something that clubs with a longer history of life in League 2 have never reached to date) BUT I'll be critical when they underachieve, especially when we all know of what they are capable.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby George Dawes » Mon May 17, 2010 5:15 pm

its all about tic tacs :P
George Dawes

Postby Posh » Mon May 17, 2010 5:16 pm

What's odd is that the vast majority of the criticism is aimed at the players and not elsewhere.

We lined up 4-5-1 with two defenders in midfield. They lined up 4-3-3 and went for us. They knew it was a hard pitch with a lot of bounce, which meant it was easier to put players under pressure. They had a load of gazelles to our lions, which meant in a head-to-head they were sharper and quicker to the ball against lots of our players.

Yet we knew a fair amount of that before the match and it became very obvious during it. Yet the first sub came when 3-0 down. For me Will Haining played worse in central defence than Bents, and throughout the match.

I thought tactically we were very very poor. Having said that we missed Stanners and virtually all our players were shocking.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby redtilldead74 » Mon May 17, 2010 6:59 pm

some people have singled out a few players for extra stick after yesterdays performance,i wonder if they would have the same opinion of two mentioned in this thread if they knew that two of our players were up all night with the shits (after eating some dodgy pies from a chippie down south).has anyone knows the effects of this drains the body and can leave you lifeless,im not defending their performences but it certainly wouldnt have helped them, so stand up or should that be sit down sir jim of bentley and sir harry of gunter
redtilldead74

Postby morecambe mick » Mon May 17, 2010 7:23 pm

redtilldead74 wrote:some people have singled out a few players for extra stick after yesterdays performance,i wonder if they would have the same opinion of two mentioned in this thread if they knew that two of our players were up all night with the shits (after eating some dodgy pies from a chippie down south).has anyone knows the effects of this drains the body and can leave you lifeless,im not defending their performences but it certainly wouldnt have helped them, so stand up or should that be sit down sir jim of bentley and sir harry of gunter

Jim had a chest infection too, I've been told. Probably wrongly :?
morecambe mick

Postby mfcbro » Mon May 17, 2010 7:39 pm

Spoke to jim on friday night and he was suffering from some sort of infection but thought he would be ok with antibiotics but as the game went on he became tired very quickly hence the substitution.He would be the last person to use it as an excuse as everyone knows he gives his all for morecambe on and off the pitch.
mfcbro

Postby morecambe mick » Mon May 17, 2010 9:03 pm

mfcbro wrote:Spoke to jim on friday night and he was suffering from some sort of infection but thought he would be ok with antibiotics but as the game went on he became tired very quickly hence the substitution.He would be the last person to use it as an excuse as everyone knows he gives his all for morecambe on and off the pitch.

Without question.
morecambe mick

Postby George Dawes » Wed May 19, 2010 6:31 pm

sorry again for bumping but i think this is the right post

it's CC who SM is having a pop at :lol:
George Dawes

Postby Christies Child » Wed May 19, 2010 6:38 pm

DawZi wrote:sorry again for bumping but i think this is the right post

If you wish to believe that I'm the only one, then you should re-read some of the posts. At least i didn't get personally abusive to individuals or to the collective.

And for what it's worth have a look at those who have been questioning the tactics...
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby shrimpnsave » Wed May 19, 2010 6:42 pm

Christies Child wrote:
DawZi wrote:sorry again for bumping but i think this is the right post

If you wish to believe that I'm the only one, then you should re-read some of the posts. At least i didn't get personally abusive to individuals or to the collective.

And for what it's worth have a look at those who have been questioning the tactics...

cc I think it was a little light harted joke :o
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby Matty the Shrimp » Wed May 19, 2010 6:44 pm

Not being funny or anything but am I the only person that feels that CC is given a hard time ALL the time. I don't feel he has ever said anything wrong in the time i have been on these forums. He usually speaks what we are all thinking and I honestly think that is a good way to be? In my opinion, if Sammy is refering to CC then I think he just has a problem with him.

But once again, lets not give CC all this critisim because he is an opinionated person. He has a right to say what he thinks as do everyone of us. Also remember he is one of us. The Morecambe Faithful!

Sorry about that everyone but I just felt that it was needed because usually (not all the time) everything that is negative is aimed at CC...
Bring me sunshine...
Matty the Shrimp

Postby George Dawes » Wed May 19, 2010 6:46 pm

huh nobody is saying CC isn't entitled to a opinion :?
George Dawes

Postby shrimpnsave » Wed May 19, 2010 6:47 pm

Matty the Shrimp wrote:Not being funny or anything but am I the only person that feels that CC is given a hard time ALL the time. I don't feel he has ever said anything wrong in the time i have been on these forums. He usually speaks what we are all thinking and I honestly think that is a good way to be? In my opinion, if Sammy is refering to CC then I think he just has a problem with him.

But once again, lets not give CC all this critisim because he is an opinionated person. He has a right to say what he thinks as do everyone of us. Also remember he is one of us. The Morecambe Faithful!

Sorry about that everyone but I just felt that it was needed because usually (not all the time) everything that is negative is aimed at CC...

agreed,,,its gone from ned too cc :?
shrimpnsave

Postby Matty the Shrimp » Wed May 19, 2010 6:48 pm

DawZi wrote:huh nobody is saying CC isn't entitled to a opinion :?

I know, but in the past they always seem just pounce on anything he says.
Bring me sunshine...
Matty the Shrimp

Postby shrimpnsave » Wed May 19, 2010 6:50 pm

Matty the Shrimp wrote:
DawZi wrote:huh nobody is saying CC isn't entitled to a opinion :?

I know, but in the past they always seem just pounce on anything he says.

like a pack of wolves :?
shrimpnsave

Postby shrimpnsave » Wed May 19, 2010 6:55 pm

cc always says what he thinks rightly or wrongly and thats his right on here isnt it

im in cc's corner .......respect for people that speak ther mind and dont pussyfoot around like some.........
shrimpnsave

Postby Keith » Wed May 19, 2010 7:01 pm

Christies Child wrote:And for what it's worth have a look at those who have been questioning the tactics...

...and I think that is what is most annoying and upsetting about the comments made on the radio today. Anyone who has written anything even slightly negative will feel that they are being attacked. I've just spoken to someone who phoned me up about this public attack on Morecambe fans, who was amazed and annoyed by it.

I'm guessing that the manager would expect that the message board be closed down after every defeat and only be re-opened after a win so that only nice things are ever posted?

I'm also guessing that the manager believes that his tactics on Sunday were spot on? He's said the players let him and themselves down, but no mention of his own part? So the players were at fault on Sunday and any fans who weren't happy following the 6-0 defeat should stay away tomorrow? But setting up with a defensive line up rather than playing the way we have during our good run had nothing to do with the defeat?

Incidentally, the 'sky high expectations' remember, were against Dagenham & Redbridge, a team that have similar (or even lower) budget than us and were non-league the same season as us. Dagenham stuffed us six-nil. With that result, I'm amazed at how positive this forum has been since then. No 'over the top' slagging off of the management or players, simply a gentle discussion of what people thought went wrong, an acceptance that we're all but out of the play offs and a 'look forward' to tomorrow as a farewell party. I didn't post straight away when I first heard the interview because I was pissed off by it. I have now because this has left a bitter taste in the mouth.

And if that puts me in to a group that he'd rather "stay away" tomorrow night... tough!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Caged Lion » Wed May 19, 2010 7:38 pm

If it weren't for folk like CC we would have a lot less banter on here.

He thinks the defence is poor...I think that it often emanates from a non-combative midfield who don't offer much protection for the reargaurd. So what? We all have opinions and there is no reason to change that, I think we all love to talk football but don't need to agree.
Caged Lion

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion