Goalkeepers

Goalkeepers

Postby Ntini » Tue May 18, 2010 11:06 am

There seems to be a trend of goalkeeps no longer wanting to wait their turn at a club (much like Steve Harper did at Newcastle) and now long for regular football, and who can blame them?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/birmingham_city/8673931.stm

If this move for Ben Foster goes through, then I wonder where Joe Hart will go next year. Being such a good, young English talent, I'd be a bit worried if he was unable to settle at a club where he played every week. He's come on leaps and bounds at birmingham, I just hope he can keep progressing!

I'd have him any day as a replacement for Baz :lol: (not that I want him to go :cry: )
HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!!!

On topic(ish) and proud!
Ntini

Re: Goalkeepers

Postby marky » Tue May 18, 2010 11:09 am

Joe Hart will go wherever Man City let him, if indeed they do.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby shrimper » Tue May 18, 2010 11:29 am

IF we're in a position of needing a new keeper in a few weeks' time there are a few being released.

Casper Ankergren (Leeds) is looking for a new club. Not sure if he'll be staying in this country, though.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Morecambe Player » Tue May 18, 2010 11:33 am

On the subject of goalkeepers, I see Ben Smith has been released by Doncaster. I thought he did well for us. If Baz does go, I think Sammy could do worse, assuming he'd step down to our level. He obviously couldn't dislodge the experienced Neil Sullivan at Donny, so who knows? I'm sure there might be competition for his signature though. Sometimes a manager releases a player knowing full well that they're fixed up elsewhere.
Morecambe Player

Postby Ntini » Tue May 18, 2010 11:41 am

shrimper wrote:IF we're in a position of needing a new keeper in a few weeks' time there are a few being released.

Casper Ankergren (Leeds) is looking for a new club. Not sure if he'll be staying in this country, though.

I had talked to a few of my colleagues (Leeds fans) of us getting him as a possible replacement if he fancied staying over here. I'm not sure it would appeal to him, but I'd certainly have him as a replacement should Baz decide to leave.
HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!!!

On topic(ish) and proud!
Ntini

Postby Ntini » Tue May 18, 2010 11:43 am

Morecambe Player wrote: Sometimes a manager releases a player knowing full well that they're fixed up elsewhere.

Do you think that was so with Danny and Twissy???
HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!!!

On topic(ish) and proud!
Ntini

Postby P/T Indie » Tue May 18, 2010 12:08 pm

Morecambe Player wrote:On the subject of goalkeepers, I see Ben Smith has been released by Doncaster. I thought he did well for us. If Baz does go, I think Sammy could do worse, assuming he'd step down to our level. He obviously couldn't dislodge the experienced Neil Sullivan at Donny, so who knows? I'm sure there might be competition for his signature though. Sometimes a manager releases a player knowing full well that they're fixed up elsewhere.

I liked him thought he was solid on crosses and comanding his area as well as good shot stopper. IMO to good for league 2 but would be worth an inquiry if Baz was to go.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby George Dawes » Tue May 18, 2010 12:14 pm

Kevin Pilkington i belive is free available 36yrs of age and shit loads of experience and a good shot stopper

and before anybody says he's to old we only sign players on 1/2 year deals anyway so age isn't a big deal and its commen knowledge goalkeeper's can play for a lot longer than outfield players
George Dawes

Postby Morecambe Player » Tue May 18, 2010 12:46 pm

Ntini wrote:
Morecambe Player wrote: Sometimes a manager releases a player knowing full well that they're fixed up elsewhere.

No I don't. I'm not sure what your point is?
Morecambe Player

Postby shrimper » Tue May 18, 2010 12:47 pm

I presumed his point is that Sammy made sure Twissy and Danny had a club lined up before announcing to the world that he'd released them.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Ntini » Tue May 18, 2010 12:49 pm

Morecambe Player wrote:
Ntini wrote:

No I don't. I'm not sure what your point is?

I was angling at whether you think that Twiss and Adams left when they did because they had already linked up with Jim Harvey (rather than at the end of the season)?
HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!!!

On topic(ish) and proud!
Ntini

Postby marky » Tue May 18, 2010 12:53 pm

shrimper wrote:Casper Ankergren (Leeds) is looking for a new club. Not sure if he'll be staying in this country, though.

Speaking as someone who is a Leeds fan, we most certainly do NOT want Ankergren. Only plays well in big games and is very prone to making mistakes. Particularly weak when it comes to crosses.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby Morecambe Player » Tue May 18, 2010 1:07 pm

Ntini wrote:Do you think that was so with Danny and Twissy???

No I don't. I'm not sure what your point is?[/quote]
ntini wrote:I was angling at whether you think that Twiss and Adams left when they did because they had already linked up with Jim Harvey (rather than at the end of the season)?

No, I wasn't thinking about Morecambe at all, it was just a general point, which alluded to the fact that players being released isn't always because they're deemed to be not good enough. Sometimes it's because a club might not be able to afford to keep them, or know that they will go elsewhere. If I had anything in the back of my mind it was the likes of Lee Hughes being released from Oldham. He was always going to be snapped up.
Morecambe Player

Postby MORECAMBE_RULE » Tue May 18, 2010 2:38 pm

marky wrote:
shrimper wrote:Casper Ankergren (Leeds) is looking for a new club. Not sure if he'll be staying in this country, though.

Speaking as someone who is a Leeds fan, we most certainly do NOT want Ankergren. Only plays well in big games and is very prone to making mistakes. Particularly weak when it comes to crosses.

If he only plays well in big games, keep Baz, play Ankergren in the play-offs. No only kidding Baz had an off day, he was taking one for the team. He thought if he played badly no one would want to sign him off us.
1 Notts County 46 65 93
2 Bournemouth 46 17 83
3 Rochdale 46 34 82
4 SHRIMPS 46 9 73
MORECAMBE_RULE

Return to General Discussion