Worst Penalty

Worst Penalty

Postby Christies Minder » Wed May 12, 2010 9:31 pm

Cardiff beat Leicester on pens but what a terrible penalty from Leicester player (Dutch I believe) lost his club millions by trying a stupid "dink" over the keeper in the middle of the goal.
Christies Minder

Re: Worst Penalty

Postby Ordy » Wed May 12, 2010 9:39 pm

Haha, you cant say it wasn't funny though.. Especially the way none of his team mates went to comfort him when they lost!
Last edited by Ordy on Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ordy

Postby mrpotatohead » Wed May 12, 2010 9:40 pm

DJ C, must be very happy, as he can play in the final for blackpool now, as his team are out.
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby Christies Minder » Wed May 12, 2010 9:42 pm

Yes good point , hope Blackpool beat the Welsh boys and make it a double West Coast seaside special at Wembley !!!
Christies Minder

Postby Morecambe Player » Wed May 12, 2010 9:48 pm

That must be the first time ever that a keeper was sent the wrong way, yet still saved the penalty. He's French by the way. Serves him right for trying to be clever.
Morecambe Player

Postby shrimper » Wed May 12, 2010 10:47 pm

No - this was the worst.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hP9DJYq54YI

I was sitting about ten yards to the right of the video man who must have retired on the proceeds. Peter Devine for Lancaster City v Whitley Bay in a Unibond Division One cup final (I think) at Brunton Park, Carlisle.

And, the best..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gi98iEziKQ&feature=related

Always worth another look!
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby broadwayshrimp » Thu May 13, 2010 7:59 am

Can you use that technique in penalty shoot outs ?
broadwayshrimp

Postby Plain Peter » Thu May 13, 2010 9:00 am

Offside!
Plain Peter

Postby Keith » Thu May 13, 2010 9:16 am

broadwayshrimp wrote:

Can you use that technique in penalty shoot outs ?

err... Only if you try it against us! :lol:

Peter wrote:Offside!

How? Why? When? You can't be offside if you are behind the ball...
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Heysham_red » Thu May 13, 2010 9:20 am

the Ajax one is quality but doesn't always work ( i am sure we all remember this):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIGmjt0c ... re=related

if you are going to miss though do it in style! Top draw!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ8rGXSjPEg
Heysham_red

Postby Plain Peter » Thu May 13, 2010 10:51 am

Keith wrote:How? Why? When? You can't be offside if you are behind the ball...

Depends who you is!
At the last point of contact with the ball there was an attacker in an off-side position.
Now tell me that he wasn't interfering with play :o
Plain Peter

Postby shrimper » Thu May 13, 2010 11:22 am

Peter wrote:
Keith wrote:How? Why? When? You can't be offside if you are behind the ball...

Depends who you is!
At the last point of contact with the ball there was an attacker in an off-side position.
Now tell me that he wasn't interfering with play :o

Perfectly good goal. When Cruyff plays it to Olsen, Olsen is onside (he was behind the ball). When Olsen plays it back across to Cruyff, Cruyff is onside (behind the ball). When Cruyff puts it in the net, Olsen isn't interfering with play.

Peter, give it up.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Plain Peter » Thu May 13, 2010 11:53 am

shrimper wrote:Perfectly good goal. When Cruyff plays it to Olsen, Olsen is onside (he was behind the ball). When Olsen plays it back across to Cruyff, Cruyff is onside (behind the ball). When Cruyff puts it in the net, Olsen isn't interfering with play.

Peter, give it up.

Olsen is involved in active play, and has (his team) gained an advantage by him being in that position. Offside, no brainer to me.
Plain Peter

Postby shrimper » Thu May 13, 2010 12:10 pm

Peter wrote:
shrimper wrote:Perfectly good goal. When Cruyff plays it to Olsen, Olsen is onside (he was behind the ball). When Olsen plays it back across to Cruyff, Cruyff is onside (behind the ball). When Cruyff puts it in the net, Olsen isn't interfering with play.

Peter, give it up.

Olsen is involved in active play, and has (his team) gained an advantage by him being in that position. Offside, no brainer to me.

Clearly! :lol:

When Cruyff puts it in the net (and that's the only time the 'interfering with play' bit is at all relevant) Olsen is on the other side of the keeper near the dead ball line. He's nowhere near the ball and isn't interfering with play as Cruyff taps it in.
shrimper

Postby Keith » Thu May 13, 2010 12:58 pm

Peter wrote:Olsen is involved in active play, and has (his team) gained an advantage by him being in that position. Offside, no brainer to me.

In that case, once the defenders had been beaten, you could never pass the ball to a player who is behind you/the ball because as soon as it leaves your control, you are off side?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Ntini » Thu May 13, 2010 1:06 pm

FIFA Laws of the Game 2009/2010 wrote:A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is touched or played by a team-mate is only committing an offside offence if, in the opinion of the referee, he becomes actively involved in play by:

Interfering with play - Playing or touching the ball
Interfering with an opponent - Preventing the opponent from playing the ball by obstructing the player's sight or intentionally distracting the opponent
Gaining an advantage by being in an offside position - Playing the ball after the ball has rebounded off the goal, the goalkeeper, or any opponent

He was doing none of these as he wasn't touching the ball or obstructing a player when Cruyff scores the goal. End of....?
HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!!!

On topic(ish) and proud!
Ntini

Postby Plain Peter » Thu May 13, 2010 2:50 pm

Keith wrote:In that case, once the defenders had been beaten, you could never pass the ball to a player who is behind you/the ball because as soon as it leaves your control, you are off side?

Don't be daft.
You might be in a possible off-side position at the time you pass the ball back, but you have relinquished your possession to a colleague.
A whole lot of scenarios could then take place.
Is there an ask the ref forum?
Plain Peter

Postby The Fury » Thu May 13, 2010 2:56 pm

Heysham_red wrote:if you are going to miss though do it in style! Top draw!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ8rGXSjPEg

If we're talking getting hit in the face with a football, though, this one is just about the pinnacle: -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rthUwNwPqUw
The Fury

Postby shrimper » Thu May 13, 2010 4:27 pm

Peter wrote:
Keith wrote:In that case, once the defenders had been beaten, you could never pass the ball to a player who is behind you/the ball because as soon as it leaves your control, you are off side?

Don't be daft.
You might be in a possible off-side position at the time you pass the ball back, but you have relinquished your possession to a colleague.
A whole lot of scenarios could then take place.
Is there an ask the ref forum?

Fair enough. Like Olsen could have stood in front of the keeper, or run about in front of him waving his arms up and down and pulling faces at him, or pretending to be a chicken.

But he didn't. He wasn't interfering, it was a good goal, absolutely no argument within the laws of the game, you're the only person in the wholey wiley world that thinks otherwise......

..but please, do go on!
shrimper

Postby Plain Peter » Thu May 13, 2010 5:30 pm

shrimper wrote:..but please, do go on!

No! There's more important things, like you guaranteeing a ticket for Sunday :lol:
Plain Peter

Postby shrimper » Thu May 13, 2010 5:33 pm

Hey - don't tease me, I'm getting worried!

Anyway, I've been having a long, hard think and, you know what? I think you may actually have a point over the penalty 'offside/onside' incident (albeit I suspect you don't know why).

I'll leave you to have one more go at explaining why it was offside and then I'll give you my explanation.

;)

EDIT: Forget that, just checked on what I was thinking about and it doesn't give you any help, Peter.
The law change that said you were only offside if you were 'interfering with play or seeking to gain an advantage' pre-dates this penalty - it stipulates that you are not offside merely by being in a technically offside position. (I'd thought that may have come in after this pen).

So nerr!!
shrimper

Postby Plain Peter » Thu May 13, 2010 6:01 pm

How about this then!
The ball had been placed for the penalty to be taken.
The referee had given permission for the penalty to be taken.
Therefore the next contact with the ball should be with Cruyff's boot.
That never happened, but this did.
Cruyff, with his hand replaced the ball on the spot.
And without further ado, knowing that Olsen was about to charge, passed the ball out to his left.
Therefore Cruyff should have been penalised for hand-ball, and then for 'taking the penalty' without the referee's permission.
He should have been sent-off for two professional fouls, and a goal-kick awarded.
So nerr!!
Plain Peter

Postby Morecambe Player » Thu May 13, 2010 6:36 pm

Peter wrote:How about this then!
The ball had been placed for the penalty to be taken.
The referee had given permission for the penalty to be taken.
Therefore the next contact with the ball should be with Cruyff's boot.
That never happened, but this did.
Cruyff, with his hand replaced the ball on the spot.
And without further ado, knowing that Olsen was about to charge, passed the ball out to his left.
Therefore Cruyff should have been penalised for hand-ball, and then for 'taking the penalty' without the referee's permission.
He should have been sent-off for two professional fouls, and a goal-kick awarded.
So nerr!!

In that era, the ball would not come into play until the free kick (i.e. the penalty) had travelled the balls circumference. Prior to that the ball is dead, and the taker can place the ball how he wishes, to the satisfaction of the referee. So the ball isn't in play until it's actually kicked. The ball cannot be handled whilst it is out of play.

Sorry. (although I realise your post was tongue in cheek, others might not have)
Morecambe Player

Postby Plain Peter » Thu May 13, 2010 9:00 pm

Morecambe Player wrote: Prior to that the ball is dead, and the taker can place the ball how he wishes, to the satisfaction of the referee. So the ball isn't in play until it's actually kicked. The ball cannot be handled whilst it is out of play.

Confused now.
The referee had already blown for the penalty to be taken, therefore the ball had been placed on the spot to his (referee) wishes.
Did Cruyff ask the referee if he could move the ball?
The video suggests not.
The video also suggests that having moved the ball the referee hadn't time to agree, or not, as to whether the ball was acceptably sited, or more importantly, whether the goalie was ready for the penalty to be taken.

There's more important things in life though, and I'm so pleased that Shrimper has got his tickets for Sunday :)
Plain Peter

Next

Return to General Discussion