Car Wash Terrace

Car Wash Terrace

Postby Ntini » Wed May 12, 2010 12:46 pm

How many fans does this actually hold? It was a so-called 'sellout' on Saturday, but the carwash terrace looked nowhere near full to me. There appeared to be plenty of spaces, particularly towards the away end. Is it only 500 as this doesn't seem very many at all for terracing that stretches the entire length of the pitch?

I know there are rules and regulations that have to be adhered by to prevent disasters as there have been in the past, but i just felt some people who would have gone were denied when there 'appeared' to be space for a few more.... just a thought!
HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!!!

On topic(ish) and proud!
Ntini

Re: Car Wash Terrace

Postby Jody » Wed May 12, 2010 2:50 pm

Or alternatively we could just leave it to the people who know what they're doing and who do a brilliant job week in week out to make the decisions. These people also being the ones accountable should anything go wrong.
Just a thought.
Jody

Postby CASS » Wed May 12, 2010 2:58 pm

Jody wrote:Or alternatively we could just leave it to the people who know what they're doing and who do a brilliant job week in week out to make the decisions. These people also being the ones accountable should anything go wrong.
Just a thought.

http://nbutalad.blogspot.com/
Reflections of a grand l'al spot.
CASS

Postby Ntini » Wed May 12, 2010 3:09 pm

I'm not denying that the club do a fabulous job, and have done so for a long, long time. And I respect the people who make those decisions and with whom the responsibility lies. I wouldn't want the club to be in any other hands and I want to thank especially the chairman, board of directors and life vice presidents for their dedicated work over the years. It was merely an observation.

It would be interesting to know what calculations are based on and what other influences are involved (I imagine these to be things such as turnstiles, exits, stewards and other facilities required).
HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!!!

On topic(ish) and proud!
Ntini

Postby Christie Top Cat » Wed May 12, 2010 3:12 pm

I like it well said
Christie Top Cat

Postby Heysham_red » Wed May 12, 2010 3:22 pm

Jody wrote:Or alternatively we could just leave it to the people who know what they're doing and who do a brilliant job week in week out to make the decisions. These people also being the ones accountable should anything go wrong.
Just a thought.

Good constructive answer to a question from a new member of this board. I am sure you have made him feel really welcome!

Ntini Welcome, Not everyone is going to jump on your back as quick as that, some people on here dont own rose tinted glasses and will help out as much as they can...

I think the attendance could be more if the back wall was more stable, but its not a strong wall (parts of it where blown over a few seasons back) so I would imagine its in the interest of safety. I believe, and someone could tell me if i am wrong, that you are not allowed to lean against it which would also support my theory.

hope that helps.
Heysham_red

Postby Christies Minder » Wed May 12, 2010 3:24 pm

That side of the ground certainly looked the least full of any where on Saturday and there was plenty of room , in fact , the car wash side looked fuller when Bratfud came last Easter and took over half of Christie.
Christies Minder

Postby Shire Shrimp » Wed May 12, 2010 3:30 pm

Interesting point I thought.

I'm just speculating here, but I would imagine any stands official capacity for the purposes of safety is based on the number of steps. The thing with the Car Wash is that its only 3 (or 4?) steps high, but quite deep.

So say, for example, the H&S people say you can fit 200 people per step safely down the length of the pitch then the official capacity would be 600 (200 on each step). In reality though, those 600 would be able to spread out across the depth of the top step giving the impression that there was still plenty of room. But rules is rules!
Shire Shrimp

Postby P/T Indie » Wed May 12, 2010 3:32 pm

Even in previous sell outs like Dagger & Ipswich there seems to have been plenty of more room in the car wash.

Could it be to do with lack of facilities down that side? Do you have to have so many toilets for so many people or something?

We have def cut the capacity this time buy a few hundrer either that or we lost 300/400 people on the way to the game on Sat.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby steve mfc » Wed May 12, 2010 3:36 pm

Shire Shrimp wrote:Interesting point I thought.

I'm just speculating here, but I would imagine any stands official capacity for the purposes of safety is based on the number of steps. The thing with the Car Wash is that its only 3 (or 4?) steps high, but quite deep.

So say, for example, the H&S people say you can fit 200 people per step safely down the length of the pitch then the official capacity would be 600 (200 on each step). In reality though, those 600 would be able to spread out across the depth of the top step giving the impression that there was still plenty of room. But rules is rules!

I might be wrong but i seem to remember that the same applies to the Umbro end, the flat section at the top couldn't be included in the capacity.
steve mfc

Postby Ntini » Wed May 12, 2010 3:44 pm

The Umbo stand appears to have 9 steps behind the barrier (including the large top step). The car wash seems to have 4 steps (including the large top step) and the bottom base which people are allowed to stand on (roughly triple the width of the steps).

I would say (as an extremely rough estimate) that there won't be a huge difference in standing 'area' between these two, and therefore must come down to other factors such as facilities.
HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!!!

On topic(ish) and proud!
Ntini

Postby Christies Minder » Wed May 12, 2010 3:47 pm

SO, powers that be, ---- what is the capacity of the car wash at the moment and how many tickets were taken up against Aldershot last Saturday ????
Christies Minder

Postby Morecambe Player » Wed May 12, 2010 3:50 pm

As I understand it, the capacity for each section of the ground is set by the Football Licensing Authority and the County Council. This is for the obvious safety reasons.

On that basis, I would assume that the number of tickets allowed to be sold were sold seeing as though the game was sold out for the home areas. There may have been some "No shows" and it might also be that the capacity of that stand is more restricted owing to the logistics of that particular area, I'm not sure. It might have something to do with emergency exits, and there is only one on the car wash, unless you count the route to the away end, which might be discounted by the licensing authorities because of possible crowd trouble should home fans have to evacuate to the away section. However, I don't know what the actual capacity is.
Morecambe Player

Postby Christies Minder » Wed May 12, 2010 4:03 pm

Perhaps "The Accountable" Jody has that classified information , although , do we need to know , after all once we have beaten "The Daggers" the car wash will be no more and under Sainbury's deli !!!!!!.
Christies Minder

Postby EDD » Wed May 12, 2010 4:06 pm

Being my 1st time on the Carwash stand last Saturday, it seemed to me any way, that unless
your standing right up against the hoarding's, or on a step you do struggle to view the game properly, having to lean around around people to see..

So I can see why 500 is jusified, to be honest I also had the opinion you surely can get more in there, but after being myself I can see why.

Any way it will all be history soon....
MFC's Only

Morecambe FC / Bradford Park Avenue FC

Supporter
EDD

Postby Jody » Wed May 12, 2010 4:25 pm

Maybe I was a little harsh before....
But when people question the Football Club and decisions football club staff make it gets my back up a bit.
A lot of people at the club work hard to ensure everything goes to plan. Do you think these people would knowingly undersell a stand? Or would deliberately sell less tickets than is possible/allowed? Because to me that's what this post suggests.
I have faith in my football clb and I trust the people that are working hard there making the decisions are doing their absolute best for the football club and the fans. And as a fan the club has never let me down before.
Apologies if I offended anyone.
Jody

Postby marky No.1 » Wed May 12, 2010 4:31 pm

Jody wrote:Maybe I was a little harsh before....
But when people question the Football Club and decisions football club staff make it gets my back up a bit.
A lot of people at the club work hard to ensure everything goes to plan. Do you think these people would knowingly undersell a stand? Or would deliberately sell less tickets than is possible/allowed? Because to me that's what this post suggests.
I have faith in my football clb and I trust the people that are working hard there making the decisions are doing their absolute best for the football club and the fans. And as a fan the club has never let me down before.
Apologies if I offended anyone.

Take one of these Jody, they work wonders after a hard day at the Office :lol:
chillpillF.gif

I agree the Club and staff have worked wonders these last weeks dealing with everything that's going on at the moment. You make us proud :D
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Morecambe FC » Wed May 12, 2010 5:17 pm

Christies Minder wrote:SO, powers that be, ---- what is the capacity of the car wash at the moment and how many tickets were taken up against Aldershot last Saturday ????

The licensed capacity for the Car Wash Terrace is just under 700. Tickets were then sold for Saturday's game taking into account the number of season ticket holders that could attend on their ticket.

The reason that it looks under capacity is more down to the fact that people tend to group together in certain areas rather than spreading out along the full length of the terrace.

Neither the front barrier or back wall are classified as crush standard therefore the capacity is calculated on the space between and of course taking into account the TV gantry.

Nothing is ever as simple as it seems and when it comes to crowd safety everything has to be correct.

Commercial dept.
Morecambe FC

Postby Christies Child » Wed May 12, 2010 5:23 pm

EDD wrote:Being my 1st time on the Carwash stand last Saturday, it seemed to me any way, that unless
your standing right up against the hoarding's, or on a step you do struggle to view the game properly, having to lean around around people to see..

So I can see why 500 is jusified, to be honest I also had the opinion you surely can get more in there, but after being myself I can see why.

Any way it will all be history soon....

The 'new' Car Wash at the Globe Arena will have 5 steps of terracing. Not sure about their height or depth but I would expect them to be better than the existing and that your view of games will be improved.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby phil1965365 » Wed May 12, 2010 5:31 pm

The new car wash...........Wonder what we are going to call that side of the globe.....could call it railway terrace.
phil1965365

Postby Ntini » Wed May 12, 2010 6:13 pm

Sorry Jody. I should have perhaps phrased my first post a little better. I'll learn for next time! The club have done a great job at Christie Park, and I have full faith in them to do the same at the Globe.
HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!!!

On topic(ish) and proud!
Ntini

Postby marky No.1 » Wed May 12, 2010 7:12 pm

[list=][/list]
phil1965365 wrote:The new car wash...........Wonder what we are going to call that side of the globe.....could call it railway terrace.

Or the Caravan Wash as we will be surrounded by them! :lol:
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby phil1965365 » Wed May 12, 2010 7:18 pm

Only you could have thought of that one mark................ :lol: :lol:
phil1965365

Postby ezz » Wed May 12, 2010 7:34 pm

To be fair it looked like you could fit a couple hundred more in safely last saturday especially towards the away end, but safety first as they say. Also why can't people question what the club and its staff do, especially in a sensible un-aggressive way?
Without criticism noone would strive to do things better ;)
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby wijit » Wed May 12, 2010 8:58 pm

Ntini wrote:Sorry Jody. I should have perhaps phrased my first post a little better. I'll learn for next time! The club have done a great job at Christie Park, and I have full faith in them to do the same at the Globe.

I can't see why you felt the need to apologise for asking a perfectly reasonable question. It did look pretty empty, but the explanation given by Morecambefc was far more constructive and eloquent than the first reply you received. Just for the record, I saw no point in your original post that questioned the club at all. Even in the subsequent "apology" (from the first reply poster) there was even more sniping. Maybe if we used a bit more understanding when people post questions, and place a little more thought into our replies we would be far more welcoming to new members of this board.
wijit

Return to General Discussion