Defensive frailties.....again!

Defensive frailties.....again!

Postby Christies Child » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:36 pm

Instead of celebrating at least a well deserved draw against a very ordinary Bury side, we are once again having to endure the benevolence of our defence to gift Bury the 3 points.

It was looking good for our first competitive win since 15 March,when Renni gave us the lead with a typical poachers goal. But then, as has happened on too many instances for it to be an isolated case, our defence literally hands Bury not only an equalising goal but then conspires to give them the lead with a bizare own goal.

In his post match comments to Quinny, our manager praised the work rate of the team and the efforts of our strikers, even acknowledging that McCann gave a midfield performance that confirmed that he was in fact a midfielder and not a full back! He was however quite rightly critical of our defence saying that something would have to be done to put things right.

Well forgive me Sammy but you've been saying that since last Christmas, even stating that defence was an area that needed surgery during the close season. From what I've seen to date, absolutely nothing has been done to rectify the situation.

Today Bury where there for the taking. Of that there can be no question. But why oh why when we are 2-1 down and still very much in the game do we have to wait until 8 minutes to go before the introduction of O'Carroll...not as a striker but as a wide man. I'm sorry but the managers use of subs (or should that be 'the lack of subs) leaves me absolutely baffled at the logic of it all. Even Paul and the Christie Crew agreed with me via text to Radio Lancashire.

I'm get very passionate and animated during a game and today was no different. But I find it diffidult to accept results like today, when with a bit more positive thinking and action on the part of our management team when 2-1 down we could have left Gigg Lane with at the very least a point.

Rant over!
Last edited by Christies Child on Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Re: Defensive frailties.....again!

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:42 pm

it was 100% better than against Rotherham.

Henry did ok at right back and McCann looked a lot better in midfield than he does in defence.

Why give O'Carroll 2 minutes though !
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby Elton White » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:56 pm

We (Bury) are looking sharp and agressive. Don't call us ordinary.
Our record since Knill took over is second to none. We've won 3 in 3 and you've got 1 point.
Don't slate Bury. We don't deserve it.
And at no point during the game did I think you were ever going to bounce back. You're deluded.
But we'll see next August, after all, the season is 9 months long.
Elton White

Postby Christies Child » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:11 pm

Elton White wrote:We (Bury) are looking sharp and agressive. Don't call us ordinary.
Our record since Knill took over is second to none. We've won 3 in 3 and you've got 1 point.
And at no point during the game did I think you were ever going to bounce back. You're deluded.

Is saying that Bury looked a very ordinary team, slating Bury?

Not in my vocabulary. I say it as I see it and if a team deserves the win then I've no problem in acknowledging it. But from Bury's performance today, I have to say that they are not a patch on Rotherham and looked a competant League 2 team but I doubt come May that they will be looking forward to League 1.
Christies Child

Postby campdave » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:14 pm

Christies Child wrote:
Is saying that Bury looked a very ordinary team, slating Bury?

If someone said the same about Morecambe, plenty of people on here would take it as the Bury supporter has.
campdave

Postby Raeyes » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:21 pm

But CC, you defend as a team and today IMO the centre midfield was non-existent at times. I don't think it's surprising at all that both of the starting centre midfield players were substituted in the second half, the only surprising thing was that this change took so long to come into fruition. Bury seemed to move the ball from defence to attack in an instant and this really hurt our defenders as it left next to no time to get organised. The Bury number 23 (Billy Elliot or whatever he was called) had too much time on the ball and really ran the show with his quick feet and a sharp turn of pace. Perhaps Drummond in a holding role might have given us more of a stranglehold in the game? We'll never know, but what we had employed, to me clearly wasn't working. Early days, but Carr has looked slow and ineffective so far at this level but needs time I know.

But in all honesty that's my only gripe, I thought we played some really solid stuff for the first 70 minutes after which point Bury shut up shop and we lacked a bit of cutting edge to break them down. Special mention for Wayne Curtis who played as well as I've ever seen him play and ran every ball down. Also Matthew Blinkhorn who had a really good game (was really shocked when I overheard some spotty baseball cap troll shout "why on earth is Blinks still on the pitch" ermmmm.....because he's playing well? you melon), particularly in the first half in which he won his fair share of ball in the air whilst also putting in a telling ball to Howe for his goal (which Howe took excellently btw). I'm still slightly concerned that Blinks doesn't look as threatening or comfortable going for goal as he does with his back to it. Despite this a partnership with Howe already looks to be developing nicely.

Artell's own goal looked freakish, however from my angle (admittedly not the best as we were all directly behind it) Artell had to do something as there were two Bury players queuing up to tap the ball into an empty net. Unluckily for him the ball came of his central defender 50p shaped feet and spooned into the top corner (Dave couldn't have put it there even if he really wanted to).

All in all, a good performance, one in which we deserved a point but left empty handed. Something to build on though and a vast improvement on last week. The only real disappointment for me today (aside from leaving shakerville pointless); under 300 of us at Bury and seemingly many on the messageboard talking bollocks as usual. Words fail me, how can you possibly put forward a credible comment on the game when you have not seen the action for yourself? Get behind the team.

Keep the faith.
Raeyes

Postby cultured » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:25 pm

Elton White wrote:We (Bury) are looking sharp and agressive. Don't call us ordinary.

Really? I thought you were terrible, had no answer to big Rene all day, Sodge's as useless as ever and you only looked at threatening our goal when we over committed after 70 minutes. You'll finish 14th, which I suppose is progress on Burys usual 17-21st finishes. Whether that is above or below Morecambe is dependant on our midfield having some kind of shape.

All the best.
cultured

Postby Raeyes » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:31 pm

I think Bury looked pretty solid and I was quite impressed with the football they produced. For the first 60 or so minutes it was a really open match which I was enjoying. Bury looked very strong up top, and in the end this probably proved to be the difference. I think they'll get close to the play-offs this season. With players like Bishop (if he can get over his carlton-titus, offside way too many times today), Morell, Glynn Hurst and the number 23 (really impressed with this player), Bury are always going to get goals its just the other end you need to keep an eye on. Elton, good luck for the rest of the season mate (except for the return visit!).
Raeyes

Postby Elton White » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:35 pm

cultured wrote:

Really? I thought you were terrible, had no answer to big Rene all day, Sodge's as useless as ever and you only looked at threatening our goal when we over committed after 70 minutes. You'll finish 14th, which I suppose is progress on Burys usual 17-21st finishes. Whether that is above or below Morecambe is dependant on our midfield having some kind of shape.

All the best.

Terrible, but won 2-1 today.
Terrible, but beat Chesterfield 3-1 last week.
Terrible, but beat Brentford 1-0 2 weeks ago.
Don't make me laugh.

If a team that plays badly wins, that can only be a good sign, right!?!
Elton White

Postby Elton White » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:37 pm

Raeyes wrote:I think Bury looked pretty solid and I was quite impressed with the football they produced. For the first 60 or so minutes it was a really open match which I was enjoying. Bury looked very strong up top, and in the end this probably proved to be the difference. I think they'll get close to the play-offs this season. With players like Bishop (if he can get over his carlton-titus, offside way too many times today), Morell, Glynn Hurst and the number 23 (really impressed with this player), Bury are always going to get goals its just the other end you need to keep an eye on. Elton, good luck for the rest of the season mate (except for the return visit!).

23 is Bennett from Wolves (6 month loan), and Bishop is ALWAYS off-side.
Looks at last seasons stats....we had most off-sides in the division.
Elton White

Postby heysham_mfc » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:02 pm

why does Sammy wait untill the last 10 mins or so before he uses any subs the player hardly has time to run on the pitch never mind try and get us something from the game
heysham_mfc

Postby Jody » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:21 pm

Well, I was going to save my opinion until the morning but here goes..
I will not slag any player off for effort today, we looked up for it right from the word go. Until their second goal that is where heads seemed to drop.
Bury, to their credit are a decent side, but were lucky with Artell's own goal, and the run of events leading to it. I remember them creating a few chances, but Bishop was constantly offside, so they wouldn't have mattered anyway.
Defence, why oh why was Parrish dropped? The guy has been marvellous in 2 out of the first 3 games, and definitely had a point to prove against Bury today after them releasing him last season. The team looked a lot better with Wayne starting, we had shape from the off and it was much improved to last week. McCann in midfield I think surprised us all and had a very good game. Still think Carr hasn't brought much to the team and Stanley needs to be back in asap, but I would have no qualms as to McCann being alongside him - his passing was first class today and we moved the ball across the park well from the midfield. On the other hand though, Bury were very quick to attack, and seemed to run right through the centre of midfield with ease at times today.
Blinkhorn was fantastic today, as was Howe. Both of them worked their socks off and the Bury defence struggled to contain them at times, as Sodje proved when he took Blinks out from behind and almost took his head off.
Only complaints - why weren't subs made earlier when they could have changed the game?
Also, it annoys me a bit when Sammy just disappears down the tunnel at the final whistle. The fans have travelled there, paid their money, and backed him and the players, but yet aren't recognised for it? I appreciate that Lillis was encouraging the players to applaud us, but it would have been nice for a little acknowledgement from the manager.
Anyway, it was much improved from last week, nice to see. We're only 3 games in, with a lot of new players who will need time to adapt. There's a long way to go yet!
Jody

Postby Sammy h » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:26 pm

I thought we were pretty piss poor today, but that was my 1st game this season so i don't know what we was like last week. There was no creativity in midfield, Danny Adams cocked up with their 2nd goal, (not for the 1st time this season)

We were defending ok, but that was only because everytime the defence got the ball it was hoof football, the whole game was like being back in the conference. Barry's kicking was pretty poor aswell. Whoever said Efe Sodje was rubbish today clearly was not watching the game because he won everything against a below par Matthew Blinkhorn, who should have been subbed at half time, if not atleast with half an hour to go.

Why oh why does Sammy wait so long too make his changes? We clearly needed a shake up and some fresh legs. I am starting too think that O'Carroll will be the Jon Newby of last year and will get five minutes at the end of a game too prove himself.

But at the end of the day, don't let the football spoil your day out :lol: Theres still a good 43 games too go, bring it on!
Sammy h

Postby Christies Child » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:41 pm

The last 2 posts are proof positive that we all see the same game with diferent eyes!
Christies Child

Postby Sammy h » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:43 pm

I have too say though CC, i wasn't at the Rotherham game, from what i was hearing off friends and people around me, we were like "Brazil" today compared too last week.
Sammy h

Postby outsider » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:46 pm

Sammy h wrote:I have too say though CC, i wasn't at the Rotherham game, from what i was hearing off friends and people around me, we were like "Brazil" today compared too last week.

sadly Alan a little fat slow and aging :lol: :lol:
All posts posted under "Outsider" are my own personal views.

DILLIGAF

Viva la Revolution

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
outsider

Postby Crooky MFC » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:04 pm

My opinion - We need to bring Craig Stanley back into the side, not even on the bench lately? :? Also, whats happened to the Drummond + Hunter partnership which i thought worked quite well towards the end of last season?

Howe is immense, he looks like he could score 20+ goals this season, and if Blinkhorn can find his shooting boots then that could be a good partnership, but i feel that O'Carrol needs to be given a chance, the next John Newby? :(
Crooky MFC

Postby cultured » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:23 am

Elton White wrote:
cultured wrote:

All the best.

Terrible, but won 2-1 today.
Terrible, but beat Chesterfield 3-1 last week.
Terrible, but beat Brentford 1-0 2 weeks ago.
Don't make me laugh.

If a team that plays badly wins, that can only be a good sign, right!?!

Yes, looking terrible against 3 teams and winning against sides that aren't going to trouble the leaders too much will mean you'll have this sewn up by Christmas. Take the title now and forget the other 43 games.
cultured

Postby i-love-mfc » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:12 am

i think Craig would have played yesterday if it wasn't for his little injury.
i-love-mfc

Postby ellandback » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:19 am

Didnt make the Bury game (working) but sounds familar with last weeks showing against Rotherham, really think its time Sammy made up with Stanley i know he got injured in the reserves but we need a driving force going forward . On last weeks viewing thought Carr was out of his depth certainly no Carl Baker, Roche seemed to be able to kick a dead ball but not much else no improvement on Scotty, the fullback not impressive dosent look built for the task. The new wing man Wainwright impressed in flashes but drifted onto left or right wing often leaving big gaps when Adams tried to play the ball out of defence.Matty did his tireless running but Howe although gives the impression of better things seemed a yard of the pace or playing to deep to support Blinks.Conclusion yes its early days, and new players, but come on we have pre-season friendlies and now four competitive games and only one worthwile result a draw at Wycombe we should be firing on all cylinders.Maybe the managers body languge as noticed by others suggests problems ahead!
ellandback

Postby Christies Child » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:06 am

Special mention for Wayne Curtis who played as well as I've ever seen him play and ran every ball down.

As much as it hurts for me to agree with Raeyes :oops: but he's quite right in his assessment of WC. He seems to have found a new level of determination from somewhere and it's as though he's rolled the clock back 5 or 6 years to the WC we all remember.

Maybe he felt overshadowed by his fellow Cumbrian Thommo but whatever it is Wayne looks like a new player.

Keep it up Wayno!
Christies Child

Postby The Red Knight » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:45 pm

ellandback wrote:really think its time Sammy made up with Stanley

I find it interesting how the vast majority of people seem to take the players side over this falling out. Maybe it isn't Sammy who needs to make it up with Stanley but the other way round?
The Red Knight

Postby Christies Child » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:48 pm

Spoke to Stanners on Friday whilst he was having treatment at out traing centre. All he wants to do is play football and Saturday at 3pm is the highlight of his and every footballlers week.

He said quite openly that players really do feel it when spectators have a go 'cause no player goes out to have a bad day.

I got the impression that he loves it at Morecambe and doesn't want to leave, but as a footballer his career is only short term.

His big toe looked a real mess following the injury to it during the reserve game of Wednesday.

But Edgey's team were doing their usual magic on it.....so no need to worry!
Christies Child

Postby shrimper » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:51 am

First game I've seen as I've been on holiday.

I thought we played pretty well against - sorry to disagree with others - a very good Bury side who, if they looked ordinary in patches, were only made to look that way by our work-rate. I thought Bury's midfield was skilful, quick and very creative and the front lads were always a danger.

Having said that we coped with them pretty well and caused them problems when we attacked. A draw would have been a fairer result and I don't think anyone would have called it a 'smash and grab' if we'd actually won it.

McCann was tidy in midfield, breaking up their attacks and playing some good balls forward to set up attacks. Blinks worked hard and won most of the headers which Howe anticipated well to take advantage and threaten several times (I do, though, think they may be too similar in style and I, too would like to see a Howe, O'Carroll partnership which I think may just give us some different options up front and a bit more cutting edge).

McStay did well at right back, Adams didn't give their quick lad too many openings and came back reasonably well from what I understand was a howler last week.
Our centre backs coped with nearly everything thrown at them - felt really sorry for Arts (own goal) who'd done well to track back with three of their forwards, one of whom would surely have scored if he hadn't been there.
Wainwright and Curtis were excellent, I thought, and I'd have them as first choice wide midfielders every week now.
The one weak link (and this surprised me) on the day, was Carr who looked a bit lost, failing to cover the positions his job required and appearing to shy away from tackles. It surprised me because I thought he was excellent at Barrow in pre-season and really promised a lot - it may still come, though, early days.
He did grow into it in the second half and went on some decent runs through the middle.
It may just be that he's finding his feet at this level and needs more time because, on the ball, he has shown some nice touches and, if he can gain in confidence he may go on to be a decent addition - it wasn't there on Saturday, though.

I do think we need to get Howe secured if we possibly can. He showed enough on Saturday to suggest that if we don't get him on a permanent deal, someone else might.

On that showing I still don't think we'll struggle this season. I just hope the pressure of playing in front of a home crowd (getting on their backs) doesn't become an issue.

What they do need is our total support - the effort was certainly there and that deserves credit.

On the Stanley front: I too would like to see him back in the fold (Drummond also) but the manager needs to be able to deal with the selection issues as he sees fit. When times are getting tough (as we all knew this season was going to be) then he needs everyone pulling together and not speaking out of turn.
If players are put on the bench, or even left out altogether, they need to accept it and just get their heads down and work hard in training and/or the Reserves and work for their chance.
Whatever goes on and whatever issues they may have with the boss, having a row with him can't serve any real purpose (or not one that benefits the team anyway).
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby DYN6MITE66 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:11 am

Crooky MFC wrote:My opinion - We need to bring Craig Stanley back into the side, not even on the bench lately? :? Also, whats happened to the Drummond + Hunter partnership which i thought worked quite well towards the end of last season?

Howe is immense, he looks like he could score 20+ goals this season, and if Blinkhorn can find his shooting boots then that could be a good partnership, but i feel that O'Carrol needs to be given a chance, the next John Newby? :(

Drummond + Hunter partnership worked a dream on sunday at Heysham Cricket Club, hunter smashing a six and a partnership of double figures. :lol: :lol:
DYN6MITE66

Return to General Discussion