Cabanga??? WTF???

Cabanga??? WTF???

Postby Keith » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:54 pm

I've just received this e-mail (formatting lost by cut & paste) apparently from Morecambe FC.

Dear keith,

We all want the boys to win in South Africa this summer, but most of us think we'll inevitably get knocked out at some point after the group stages. So if we really want to help them win (without strapping boots on ourselves) then we need to use the power of the 12th man.

A Neuropsychologist has found that the power of the mind can actually influence results. Experiments show that this mental energy is strongest when unified under a single positive word. And if we all focus on this one word then doubt is less likely to creep in.

That word is Cabanga (it means 'imagine' in Zulu if you're interested).

We know with a greater number of believers, we can get more power and energy behind the word.

With this in mind we're aiming to reach 90,000 fans (that's around the capacity of Wembley Stadium) on our facebook page, to help our boys win this summer.

So show your support, be part of Cabanga and together we can help bring home the cup.

You have received this email as a registered subscriber of Morecambe Football Club.
If you do not wish to receive emails of this nature, please login and amend your preferences

The log in and amend details goes to the following:
http://communicatoremail.com/In/6217890/0/ (last part removed)

Is 'communicatoremail' genuinely from the club? If it is SPAM (as it appears) where did it get my name to personalise the e-mail? It looks and feels like some kind of 'harvesting' e-mail but if it is spoofed, it is very clever and a new level.

If it is genuinely from the club, why are they sending out SPAM that is unrelated to Morecambe FC?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Re: Cabanga??? WTF???

Postby quinny » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:24 pm

Certainly didn't come from us Keith.
I've got the same e-mail myself from somewhere.
Quinny
quinny

Postby heysham_mfc » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:28 pm

me too
heysham_mfc

Postby Keith » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:48 pm

Thanks guys. I'm concerned that someone possibly has a virus then or even that a club machine may have been hacked. Too much of a coincidence that an apparently 'football' related e-mail has been received by three of us.

If anyone gets this, I would strongly urge you not to follow any of the links contained until it can become clearer as to what is going on. ESPECIALLY don't follow the 'remove' link, that is a common way of confirming that it is a 'live' e-mail address and getting that name on to lists that are then sold.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Keith » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:54 pm

Well, maybe not quite as sinister as first mentioned...
http://www.facebook.com/ThinkCabanga

but still very odd and doesn't explain how they got the e-mail addresses or why they pretended to be from the club. :?

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Splodge » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:11 pm

Terms and Conditions of Player perhaps? Or forgetting to tick/untick the box on a sign-up?
Splodge

Postby heysham_mfc » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:56 pm

I am not sined up with player but it is very strange because the e-mail adress that it came from is the same one I recive all MFC related e-mails from. Best option would be not to click on anything in the e-mail and just delete.
heysham_mfc

Postby John L » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:57 pm

I'm registered with Hull City for their e-mails (from when they were promoted to the PL) and got the same e-mail from them as well as from Morecambe, so it's obviously a message which is generic to premiumtv websites.
John L

Postby Andy » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:00 pm

I got it and just deleted it ! I ain't bothered with that kind of stuff !
Back on the spanners
Andy

Postby Aspers » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:58 am

thought it said cowabunga.

I will certainly be cabunga ing my balls off on sat midnight for us.
Aspers

Return to General Discussion