Memories

Memories

Postby lancaster shrimp » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:12 pm

So as we enter the final weeks of our beloved home, just wondering what memories people have of the place.
i remember my 1st match against Cambridge in the fa cup, then when we got the home draw against ipswich,
that game against dagenham, hereford in 2006, the york game when we finally DID IT!

also the peterborough game when we down to 10 men, barnet been our 1st game in the league, beating a "massive" club called bradford... twice :lol:

and this season i will never forget last season and the crewe game

theres going to be a tear in my eye on may the 8th at around 4 45pm
lancaster shrimp

First match was Netherfied on boxing day

Postby Arnside Red » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:46 pm

about 68, i remember the trophy semi in 74, the cornish pasties in the 70,s were legendary, once got bitten by a police dog which was going to sort out Bradford (park ave) fans, i remember coming out of the game v Daggers when we lost in the play offs, a young kid near us was in tears, my nephew asked me why he was crying, all i could say was "football",
next saturaday is going to be one hell of an emotional day but how brilliant could it be????????????
Arnside Red

Re: Memories

Postby lancaster shrimp » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:01 pm

would be something special if we could make the playoffs and then who knows? dare to dream!!!

been so many good memories from our beloved home over the years, my number 1 though would be the york game, the support the noise the atmosphere, lets have more of the same a week on sat and lets all sing our hearts out in salop on sat,

am gunna miss christie park :( and i think i can safely say i wont be the only who will be sayin that in the next week or so
lancaster shrimp

Postby lancaster shrimp » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:01 pm

would be something special if we could make the playoffs and then who knows? dare to dream!!!

been so many good memories from our beloved home over the years, my number 1 though would be the york game, the support the noise the atmosphere, lets have more of the same a week on sat and lets all sing our hearts out in salop on sat,

am gunna miss christie park :( and i think i can safely say i wont be the only who will be sayin that in the next week or so
lancaster shrimp

Postby shrimpnsave » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:11 pm

we could make the playoffs twice then :lol:
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby Andy » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:41 pm

about 68

bloody hell Graham your younger than me and I can just remember Utd winning the European cup then ! :o you must have lived in Morecambe then ! ;)
Back on the spanners
Andy

Postby paulshrimp » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:38 am

Arnold Timmins, Keith Borrowdale, Lance Millard. Lancashire Senior Cup win. Trip to Wembley April 27th 1974. The 'Scrattin Shed' which is now the away teams end. Trips to York in th FA cup. Good times and they are back again!!
paulshrimp

Postby abc123 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:05 am

My first game was in 2000, we played Scarborough and then for some reason I can't remember we played them 3 times in the space of about a week? Must have been cup games too. It was my first live football match and then I was hooked!
In no particular order..
When we played Shrewsbury on the last day of the season and they got promoted, proper party atmosphere.
The Daggers play-off, on crutches and not pleased with extra time :twisted:
The York play-offs
The Northwich Victoria cup fiasco!
Winning the Lancashire cup beating Accy in the final :)
Goalkeepers getting stick, especially Roberts and Potter.
Tuesday night, Carl Bakers winner against Bradford City.
Barnets 'welcome' sign on our first day in the league.
The Lazarus like comeback against Crewe.
abc123

Postby DTSJim » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:10 pm

My first game was whatever the first home game after 19/04/1989 was, I can't say I remember all that much about it being a new born baby at the time.

My earliest memory is of what seemed to my young eyes to be hundreds of Bishop Auckland player hacking our goalkeeper, playing football in what was the umbro stand, and racing up and down the terraces where the north stand now is.
Best memories are The lancashire senior cup win, Ipswich, York, Barnet, Bournemouth and Crewe and being allowed to do shots of Dooleys when I was a youngster in JBs and thinking I was getting drunk.
Next saturday will be an emotional day for all.
DTSJim

Postby Christies Child » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:03 pm

Can't recall which was my first game but certain memories fill the old memory bank.

You guys on the North Stand could learn a thing or two about vocal support :lol: :lol: :lol: from crusty old gits like me.... :shock: :shock: :shock:

In the early 60's there was a group of circa 50 youngster who stood behind the goal in the old asbestos stand now the North Stand and have use of a fog horn kindly donated (?) by one local fisherman. The thing used to be a wind up affair, providing a sound very similar to the old air raid siren, in fact on reflection it may well have been an air raid siren..who cares!

The bloody sound was incredible and many gentlemen of older years complained about it, to no avail i might add. A guy nicknamed Gnasher (thought i remembered him from some time back :o ) was the keeper of the machine and he along with others became the haunt of many visiting goalkeepers.

That, along with a loud rendition of 'give me an M...give me an O etc etc' echoed around the stand to the delight of many, but to the utter despair of the visiting teams from the East Lancashire 'sun traps' of Bacup and Darwen!

I also wonder at times where 'the wings of an angel and the dirty black arse of a crow' flew off too.... :?: :?: :?:

Happy days and ones that a few will remember with affection. However those days are nothing compared to those of the current time and will provide equal enjoyment in years to come.

Sad old fool CC..... :cry: :cry: :cry: :lol:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby halftimeresults » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:13 pm

For me it would be the Hull City game in 1991.

I cant describe the exitement I had walking to the ground.
The first time I had seen Christie Park full,we lost 1-0 that day but we should of had a replay as Tommy Miller scored only for the ref to play on.

I knew from that day on that Morecambe was my team.
halftimeresults

Postby Pandashrimp » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:24 pm

abc123 wrote:..
When we played Shrewsbury on the last day of the season and they got promoted, proper party atmosphere.

Interesting choice. The game did have a great atmosphere. Did it finish 3-3? If i remember rightly Joe Hart made his debut in the Shrews goal and had a shocker!
Pandashrimp

Postby abc123 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:34 pm

You know I don't remember the score :lol: , I do remember the Shrews fans invading the pitch and coming over to the North Stand to shake hands with everyone though :P It just felt really great to be a Morecambe Fan that day because everyone seemed happy for the opposing teams good fortune in getting promoted.
abc123

Postby halftimeresults » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:41 pm

abc123 wrote:You know I don't remember the score :lol: , I do remember the Shrews fans invading the pitch and coming over to the North Stand to shake hands with everyone though :P It just felt really great to be a Morecambe Fan that day because everyone seemed happy for the opposing teams good fortune in getting promoted.

But they did not get promoted that day, they made the playoffs that day.
halftimeresults

Postby steve mfc » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:58 pm

halftimeresults wrote:
abc123 wrote:You know I don't remember the score :lol: , I do remember the Shrews fans invading the pitch and coming over to the North Stand to shake hands with everyone though :P It just felt really great to be a Morecambe Fan that day because everyone seemed happy for the opposing teams good fortune in getting promoted.

It was 3-3 but as i remember it they had already qualified for the playoffs before they played us, i seem to remember there was just a moment of animosity when they ran onto the pitch and came to the North Stand, shouts of get of the pitch etc then they started singing loyal supporters and the North Stand joined in and all was hunky dory.
steve mfc

Postby morecambe mick » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:05 pm

halftimeresults wrote:For me it would be the Hull City game in 1991.

I cant describe the exitement I had walking to the ground.
The first time I had seen Christie Park full,we lost 1-0 that day but we should of had a replay as Tommy Miller scored only for the ref to play on.

I knew from that day on that Morecambe was my team.

That game was the very first I went to, and only the second live match in my life... :o

It was to be a couple of years after that I became a "regular" (other commitments). In fact the first full season, home only :? I watched, we got promotion to the Conference, driving up from the Midlands for the last home game. I think then I realised I was hooked, totally.

Standing up on the North stand before it was finished with Rod Taylor one evening thinking WOW what a view. Something I'll always remember is helping chesh out during the summers, when I could, esp painting the Umbro end as it became known as when we finished. I left my signature there ;) mick '99. Drinking tea in the changing rooms :!:
Football wise York play-offs, Barnet opening game. My lad was mascot and I was on the pitch looking at Jim and Joe as they were waiting to lead us into the unknown, "that banner" :D :D
The, only happens in newspaper cartoons, come back against Crewe is, so far, the pick from this season.

So many memories, far too many to relay and that's just from someone who's been around the club for a short while.
I so envy these lads and lasses who've been lucky enough to have been here longer. People like Rod T, Freez, Keith, Mark S, the life blood of our club these guys.
I've a feeling that the game week Saturday, will be like Ipswich. I'll be really glad to see loads on, but in a way I will wish it wasn't so full.
(Mental note, not to drink 8 pints before the game and stand in the middle - well, not without a Lenor bottle ;) :lol: )
Saturday I'll sneak out of the presentation for one last lingering look and say goodbye to the old girl, a bit like throwing soil onto the coffin. Tears will be shed.

That said I'm really looking forward to the new ground. Westgate Stadium as it is on my desktop background, and as I will probably call it.
morecambe mick

Postby abc123 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:48 pm

halftimeresults wrote:

There you go then, I was obviously so delerious with sunshine and happiness it planted false memories. :D
abc123

Return to General Discussion