Wembley To Be Resurfaced 5 Times A Year

Wembley To Be Resurfaced 5 Times A Year

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:07 pm

As has been mentioned previously the pitch is cutting up badly particularly as many events other than football are taking place on the pitch.

It seems it is all down to money again as they have to hold these events to pay back the debt owing on the Stadium, hence resurfacing 75 times or so till 2023 is the economic way to do it :o

http://www.heart.co.uk/london/shows/new ... imes-per-/
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Re: Wembley To Be Resurfaced 5 Times A Year

Postby Duffman » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:37 pm

I always thought a new pitch needed time to "bed in" otherwise it would cut up, so I find it hard to understand why relaying it 5 times a year will combat it. We'll see with the upcoming matches what affect a new pitch will have but it's slightly annoying all this money could be going to, ironically, grass roots football. :lol:
Duffman

Postby George Dawes » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:05 pm

not surprised...

nice stadium but me personaly id have rather kept the old stadium a historic national treasure and mecca of football instead of wasting millions of pounds

but thats only my opinion ive been to both and i had more feelings for old Wembley

and i thought that millennium dome, O1 arena(another waste of money) was for staging the big concerts what go on in London :?
George Dawes

Postby Christies Child » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:38 pm

Callum wrote:I always thought a new pitch needed time to "bed in" otherwise it would cut up, so I find it hard to understand why relaying it 5 times a year will combat it. We'll see with the upcoming matches what affect a new pitch will have but it's slightly annoying all this money could be going to, ironically, grass roots football. :lol:

Interesting article on seeded pitches

http://www.sports-turf.net/casestudies/

Wonder if that's how Chesterfield and ourselves are talking about being ready pre-season?
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby heysham_mfc » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:49 pm

They had a top UK groundsman on BBC Breakfast the other day and he said a seeded pitch can take about 8 weeks to grow.
heysham_mfc

Postby durhamshrimp » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:04 am

02 arena is only about quarter of the capacity of Wembley for concerts. For example last year oasis played at Wembley for 2 or three nights, they'd have had to play at the O2 4x as many nights to play to the same amount of people.
durhamshrimp

Postby paulshrimp » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:40 pm

Isn't 8 weeks growing time cutting it a bit close? ( No pun intended ). Would it be reasonable to assume that the first game at the Globe could be 3rd week in July?
paulshrimp

Postby Christies Child » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:58 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if next time Mike W and ian are down that the ground has been seeded. Therefore that gives it around 12 weeks to grow which all the experts reckon is ample.

Would be interesting to learn if they are using a mixture of normal seed and a synthetic additive as described in the Sports Turf article posted above.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Return to General Discussion