Ian Craney returns to Huddersfield

Ian Craney returns to Huddersfield

Postby Christies Child » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:57 am

http://www.morecambefc.com/page/NewsDet ... 57,00.html

I for one hope it's not the last we see of Ian in the only red shirt that matters!

For me a fit and eager Craney is worthy of a guaranteed starting place in any MFC team.

Gives us that bit of extra creativity, a defensive capability and can contribute to the goal 'for' column.

Certainly on my 'wish' list along with Higginbothem from Rochdale who will be releasing quite a few of their team as they progress into League 1, according to Keith Hill on last nights Late Kick Off.

Higginbotham has always impressed me with his energy and close control ball skills whenever I've seen him.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Re: Ian Craney returns to Huddersfield

Postby Weetabix Kid » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:48 am

past it in my opinion, we need a younger version of him though
Weetabix Kid

Postby Morecambe Jack » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:04 am

Past it? At 27? I think Craney offered something different being a creative midfielder who actually makes a forward pass and before his injury he worked really well with Jevons. The problem is fitting him in the team with all our other central midfielders - but thats Sammy's dilema and like CC, I'd like to see him back at Morecambe.
Morecambe Jack

Postby John L » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:39 am

With Huddersfield still in the frame for promotion, perhaps he might be considered surplus should they go up?
John L

Postby Christies Child » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:45 am

John L wrote:With Huddersfield still in the frame for promotion, perhaps he might be considered surplus should they go up?

I seem to recall that being mentioned as the case as to why both he and PJ came to us on loan. The current managment team at 'uddersfield didn't see either figuring in their plans this or any other season.

I could be wrong of course..... :?: :?: :?:

:)
Christies Child

Postby shrimper » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:03 pm

I understand he's not been 100%, 90 minutes, fully fit for a while due to a niggling injury.

Let him go back, if he gets 100% and proves it for a couple of months, I'd have him back like a shot, on loan until the end of next season with a view to permanent signing if he stays fit.

Great player and just what we need, linking midfield with attack, able to beat a man and contributing goals from free kicks and open play.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Christies Child » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:12 pm

shrimper wrote:I understand he's not been 100%, 90 minutes, fully fit for a while due to a niggling injury.

Let him go back, if he gets 100% and proves it for a couple of months, I'd have him back like a shot, on loan until the end of next season with a view to permanent signing if he stays fit.

Great player and just what we need, linking midfield with attack, able to beat a man and contributing goals from free kicks and open play.

Didn't his recent corrective surgery suggest that it might be a case 'of all's well' going forward?

I'd be interested in knowing if, as the loan club, that we are responsible for arranging the surgery which if my information is correct is funded out of a Sports Medical Insurance policy that all pro clubs have to take out?
Christies Child

Postby RedRedWine1 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:23 pm

[quote="Christies Child"]http://www.morecambefc.com/page/NewsDetail/0,,10866~2029657,00.html
I for one hope it's not the last we see of Ian in the only red shirt that matters!

For me a fit and eager Craney is worthy of a guaranteed starting place in any MFC team.

Gives us that bit of extra creativity, a defensive capability and can contribute to the goal 'for' column.
quote]

Confused about that observation??? For my money Craney is great going forward, but I've never noticed or associated him with tough tackling or getting stuck in.

As Shrimper mentions, prior to coming here he had a reputation as a player who couldn't last full game at Huddersfield. I know league one is a higher level, but I can't remember him finishing many of the games strongly where he started for us either. So there is a question mark over his fitness.

That aside, I think he would be a brilliant signing for us. However, since we've signed up Stanners on a new deal I can't see it happening. To me they perform similar roles for the team although with varying success.
RedRedWine1

Postby Weetabix Kid » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:46 pm

Morecambe Jack wrote:Past it? At 27? I think Craney offered something different being a creative midfielder who actually makes a forward pass and before his injury he worked really well with Jevons. The problem is fitting him in the team with all our other central midfielders - but thats Sammy's dilema and like CC, I'd like to see him back at Morecambe.

27 ??!!

sorry thought he was mid 30's, tough paper round I'm guessing
Weetabix Kid

Postby George Dawes » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:52 pm

shrimper wrote:I understand he's not been 100%, 90 minutes, fully fit for a while due to a niggling injury.

i 2nd that..

and i can only imagine if we'd had a fully fit Craney playing all season especially now
George Dawes

Postby heysham_mfc » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:06 pm

sad to see him go but if he can't play might as well free up the wage bill
heysham_mfc

Postby Harry » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:43 pm

Was underwhelmed whenever I saw him playfor us, to be honest.
Harry

Postby The Marksman » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:25 pm

Harry wrote:Was underwhelmed whenever I saw him playfor us, to be honest.

Yeah, he had useful skills but I think we could spend money better on someone who could last more than 45 minutes.
The Marksman

Postby shrimper » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:55 pm

I repeat, I don't think he's been 100% fit for a while (and by 'a while' I mean over a season).

I don't think he's ever been fully fit while he's been with us but that we were happy with the deal we got him on from Huddersfield.

And, again, I'd only consider us (or anyone for that matter) to be sensible taking him on a 'pay as you play' deal until he's played enough games, at a good enough standard, to earn a contract.

He showed in certain games and for differing lengths of time within those games (and previously when he played for Accy) that he can be a top quality player, in a position where we could do with a top quality player.

Look for someone else for now but if he doesn't get fixed up and wants to come and train with us and try to get fit, I'd welcome him.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Caged Lion » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:33 pm

According to SkySportsNews Craney has been released from his contract at Huddersfield?
Caged Lion

Postby John L » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:44 pm

Caged Lion wrote:According to SkySportsNews Craney has been released from his contract at Huddersfield?

Yep.... http://www.ttpics.co.uk/shrimpsvoices/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7080
John L

Postby Crazeenick » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:04 am

I fully agree with Shrimper

...... the cheque is in the post :lol:
Crazeenick

Return to General Discussion