Some comfort in defeat

Some comfort in defeat

Postby Christies Child » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:49 am

As much as we all hate to loose, let's take some comfort in the comments of some Notts fans on Fans Forum who thought we were the best team seen at their ground this season.

As they say it was only in the final third where we had no end product that let us down.

I seem to recall Sammy having said that on numerous times before.

Let's hope that Sammy can bring in that extra bit of quality now that we are an established league club on the verge of a new chapter in our history.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Re: Some comfort in defeat

Postby Sammy h » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:01 am

They all do seem to be very complimentary towards us. Best side they have seen in a while.

Looking at the game on a whole, we did have alot of the ballm but didn't create many chances. Too many crosses with nothing on the end of them, missed Wilson's crosses from the left.

3 points on Saturday is a must!!
Sammy h

Postby Christies Child » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:19 am

Sammy h wrote:They all do seem to be very complimentary towards us. Best side they have seen in a while.

Looking at the game on a whole, we did have alot of the ballm but didn't create many chances. Too many crosses with nothing on the end of them, missed Wilson's crosses from the left.

Even more crosses with nothing on the end of them? Sounds like a familiar story from many games this and past seasons where balls have been put into the area with nobody there to capitalise on them.

And yet we still have scored more goals this season than many before. :o Makes me wonder where we would be had we had more players getting into the box.

:?: :?: :?:
Christies Child

Postby mrpotatohead » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:27 am

CC, today you are saying we are a bit lacking up front, the day before yesterday our midfield needed strengthening, and at around ten past five yesterday our defence was suspect, so that only leaves our keeper, will it be his turn next saturday :?:

I will add that the manager was also under your keyboard cosh when we kept drawing with other teams early season :lol:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby Christies Child » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:48 am

mrpotatohead wrote:CC, today you are saying we are a bit lacking up front, the day before yesterday our midfield needed strengthening, and at around ten past five yesterday our defence was suspect, so that only leaves our keeper, will it be his turn next saturday :?:

I will add that the manager was also under your keyboard cosh when we kept drawing with other teams early season :lol:

No way.

With regards to lacking up front: I wrote that we have scored more than ever before BUT how many more if more bodies had been in the box for all the crosses?

Midfield: We've re-signed almost the entire midfiled that others have acknowledged has been unable to dictate play on too many occassions.

Defence: How many goals have we let in this season?

Room for improvment in every department as every other club in the land would say.

EXCEPT Goalkeeper....who has saved us from an even greater goals against figure.
Christies Child

Postby Sammy h » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:52 am

Having just done the bbc predictor, for the 5th time this season! It is still JUST in our hands. I had us to win every game, and to the best i could everyone else winning around us, and we missed out to Port vale on goal difference.

Realistically though, alot of the teams are going to drop points. I think two home wins will do it.
Sammy h

Postby Christies Child » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:56 am

Sammy h wrote:Having just done the bbc predictor, for the 5th time this season! It is still JUST in our hands. I had us to win every game, and to the best i could everyone else winning around us, and we missed out to Port vale on goal difference.

Realistically though, alot of the teams are going to drop points. I think two home wins will do it.

7 points for me..but 9 would guarantee.

Next weekends game is crucial. Win and it puts us back into the frame and takes the Daggers out. Loose and ..... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Seems to me as though we've been here before with the Daggers!
Christies Child

Postby George Dawes » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:58 am

mrpotatohead wrote:CC, today you are saying we are a bit lacking up front, the day before yesterday our midfield needed strengthening, and at around ten past five yesterday our defence was suspect, so that only leaves our keeper, will it be his turn next saturday :?:

good shout :lol:
George Dawes

Postby George Dawes » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:01 am

Sammy h wrote:Having just done the bbc predictor, for the 5th time this season! It is still JUST in our hands. I had us to win every game, and to the best i could everyone else winning around us, and we missed out to Port vale on goal difference.

i said before the Bradford game 7 points could/should be enough, and it looks like it's going that way

would be excellent if we can do it at our last home game at CP 4000 crowd maybe?
George Dawes

Postby Christies Child » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:06 am

DawZi wrote:

So what areas of the team other than the 'keeper DO NOT need an addition of some extra quality?
Christies Child

Postby Mark S » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:33 am

Christies Child wrote:
DawZi wrote:

So what areas of the team other than the 'keeper DO NOT need an addition of some extra quality?

I think the point being made is that you have criticised all areas of the team without offering anything positive and you are talking about the poor quality of a potentially promotion winning side.

Critcising players that are at the cusp of the play offs and bandying around phrases such as 'major surgery' is hardly 'Supportive' at this hugely important part of the season.

You could also say that questioning the signings so far is a direct criticism of the management and the directors that back the management.

Can we not wait until the end of the season before we hold the post mortem and sharpen the knives again?
Mark S

Postby George Dawes » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:34 am

i will be very surprised if SM signs more than one defender in the summer with McStay(who i rate) being released

then the midfield including wing positions no more than two players

the strikers at least one maybe two

note SM basically did say on the Radio Lancashire this week he is hoping to get the players signed up on contracts now so he knows what he's got before he brings in any new players

and he also replied am wanting to bring in 3 maybe 4 in the summer
George Dawes

Postby Christies Child » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:53 am

DawZi wrote:i will be very surprised if SM signs more than one defender in the summer with McStay(who i rate) being released

then the midfield including wing positions no more than two players

the strikers at least one maybe two

note SM basically did say on the Radio Lancashire this week he is hoping to get the players signed up on contracts now so he knows what he's got before he brings in any new players

and he also replied am wanting to bring in 3 maybe 4 in the summer

So you agree with me when I suggested that all areas needed an input of exta quality.

Thank you. :)
Christies Child

Postby parceldave » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:49 pm

Sammy h wrote:They all do seem to be very complimentary towards us. Best side they have seen in a while.

The big difference for me yesterday was the pace , take their first goal for example , they win the ball in their own half , couple of passes then the cross to Hughes who is totally unmarked and a simple header Goal. Whereas going the other way 75 passes ( looks good) later we manage to get a cross in to a area with all their defence in place to cope with the incoming ball. Another factor for me yesterday is that we were out-muscled especially in midfield and up front , i think Andy Parrish was about the strongest player we had when it came to a 50/50 ball. He must have found the key to Popeye's pantry. ;)
parceldave

Postby marky No.1 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:14 am

parceldave wrote:He must have found the key to Popeye's pantry. ;)

Maybe he just knows what to do with Olive Oil 8-)
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby parceldave » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:29 pm

marky No.1 wrote:
parceldave wrote:He must have found the key to Popeye's pantry. ;)

Maybe he just knows what to do with Olive Oil 8-)

Lets hope he shares his know-how with the rest of the team this week and we can squeeze a couple past Bluto ;)
parceldave

Postby mrpotatohead » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:40 pm

The top and bottom is that we are probably moving into a nice new arena in the football league with a squad and management team and board keeping us there, it will be sweet, lets carry on feeling good and dragging our mates and kids down to the globe, the shit that MFC struggle with is local apathy, ARE YOU READING :?:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby mfcbro » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:45 am

""CC, today you are saying we are a bit lacking up front, the day before yesterday our midfield needed strengthening, and at around ten past five yesterday our defence was suspect, so that only leaves our keeper, will it be his turn next saturday ""

I will add that the manager was also under your keyboard cosh when we kept drawing with other teams early season
Good Shout.When would you be happy c.c.?
Where are we getting the money from for all this strengthening?I for 1 think we have had another great season with our worst defence in the league,weakened midfield and no threat from the final ball for our forwards.I think possibly 12-14 teams would gladly swap places with us at this moment in time.Play offs or no play offs well done Sammy and the boys i am satisfied.Cant wait for next season.Still a league 2 team.
mfcbro

Postby Blackpool Shrimp » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:22 am

totally agree mfcbro...if we get into the play offs it will be a bonus in my opinion i am more than happy we are moving to the globe as a league club after my personal problems at home i can't wait to start watching again next season on a regular basis
Blackpool Shrimp

Postby Christies Child » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:33 am

mfcbro wrote:""CC, today you are saying we are a bit lacking up front, the day before yesterday our midfield needed strengthening, and at around ten past five yesterday our defence was suspect, so that only leaves our keeper, will it be his turn next saturday ""

I will add that the manager was also under your keyboard cosh when we kept drawing with other teams early season
Where are we getting the money from for all this strengthening?I for 1 think we have had another great season with our worst defence in the league,weakened midfield and no threat from the final ball for our forwards.I think possibly 12-14 teams would gladly swap places with us at this moment in time.Play offs or no play offs well done Sammy and the boys i am satisfied.Cant wait for next season.Still a league 2 team.

To suggest that I'm not a happy bunny at where we are is ridiculous. BUT imagine where we would have been if certain crucial areas had been better?

Sammy has identified where those problems are numerous times. He's also said that the team needs an addition of 2-4 quality players. So he's aware of our shortcomings.

As to where the money is coming from to bring those players in. I can just imagine the uproar if our excellent Board slapped a couple of quid on admission prices to pay for that extra quality!

It's somewhat ironic that a game that at half time we had 'in the bag' resulted in a draw and has seen that team now promoted. If we had held onto that lead we would be in a play off place, handily placed to follow in their footsteps, albeit by a Wembley play off.

This season has been a roller coaster, surely nobody can deny that. And with so much still to play for it's entirely in our hands.Believe it or not, I'm optomistic that we can do it. But I reiterate my initial point 'had we been better in crucial areas we would already be in a guaranteed play off place'.

I openly admit that I question some of Sammy's decisions; surprisingly along with a number of other dyed in the wool Shrimp supporters I might add. But Sammy for all his shortcomings has taken our team from the Conf to a potential play off place for promotion to League 1. An excellent achievement and one that many clubs not too far away can only look at with envy. However, we could have done so much better if we had had a bit more quality in key areas. And that is my point!
Christies Child

Postby shrimper » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:40 am

Neil every team can point to 'ifs and buts'. For the points we lost against a very good Rochdale team after being three up you can counter with the three we won against Crewe with three goals in the last five minutes.
We should have beaten Chesterfield's ten men, but then should probably have lost at home to Bradford - and Torquay were worth at least a point. It happens.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Christies Child » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:58 am

shrimper wrote:Neil every team can point to 'ifs and buts'. For the points we lost against a very good Rochdale team after being three up you can counter with the three we won against Crewe with three goals in the last five minutes.
We should have beaten Chesterfield's ten men, but then should probably have lost at home to Bradford - and Torquay were worth at least a point. It happens.

Agree..but I get really pissed off with a small minority who question my loyalty and passion. Like you and others, cut me and I bleed MFC. I'll still be here if it ever goes pear shape. Unlike a lot of fair weather supporters.

A number of SVs are very good at making comments about other posters, but ask them to put an alternative view point... and it's silence!

Rant over.... and do I feel better for it.....NO!

:evil:
Christies Child

Postby Sammy h » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:05 pm

Christies Child wrote:
shrimper wrote:Neil every team can point to 'ifs and buts'. For the points we lost against a very good Rochdale team after being three up you can counter with the three we won against Crewe with three goals in the last five minutes.

Agree..but I get really pissed off with a small minority who question my loyalty and passion. Like you and others, cut me and I bleed MFC. I'll still be here if it ever goes pear shape. Unlike a lot of fair weather supporters.

A number of SVs are very good at making comments about other posters, but ask them to put an alternative view point... and it's silence!

Someone rolled out of the wrong side of the bed this morning.
Sammy h

Postby The Fury » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:09 pm

Christies Child wrote:
mfcbro wrote:""CC, today you are saying we are a bit lacking up front, the day before yesterday our midfield needed strengthening, and at around ten past five yesterday our defence was suspect, so that only leaves our keeper, will it be his turn next saturday ""

It's somewhat ironic that a game that at half time we had 'in the bag' resulted in a draw and has seen that team now promoted.

Is this from the Alanis Morissette school of irony, by any chance?
The Fury

Postby Christies Child » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:18 pm

Sammy h wrote:
Christies Child wrote:

Someone rolled out of the wrong side of the bed this morning.

:lol: :lol: :lol: ...but my day got better!
Christies Child

Return to General Discussion