The left-hand side

The left-hand side

Postby Christies Minder » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:55 am

I wasn't at Bradford last night, but our wingers seem to have come under some more scrutiny. I just wondered whether the following was true again:

I think we have two decent wingers in Duffy and Hackney, but the first is being criticised for not getting past people and losing possession cheaply, whereas the latter is being accused of not trying.

However, I noticed something over the Easter weekend's games (particularly against Crewe) that there may be reason for this. The way we were set up was to get the ball in midfield, push forward and then give it out wide on the right to Duffy. But this left a HUGE GAP down the left-hand side. Hackney was pretty much useless, not because he wasn't trying, but because he had all the space he could wish for but the ball kept going out wide to the right. at one point Duffy had 3 men marking him and, when we lost the ball, Crewe were able to charge down our left-hand side, leaving us a little vulnerable on the counter.

I don't mind using what we have in a decent young player (Duffy), but when we have the likes of Hackney (and Wilson in support) but not using them, I think we're almost putting too much presure on Mark to beat his man and get a good ball in the box every time we go forward.
Christies Minder

Re: The left-hand side

Postby Little Shrimp » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:00 am

I think the problem with Hackney is that he goes over to the right wing when he should be staying on the left. Because of that we've always been letting people get down our left wing easily.
Little Shrimp

Postby ockers » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:10 am

good analysis steve
pretty much the same last night really imho
Mark Duffy has pace and uses it but meets brick walls or the last pass doesnt deliver on a consistent basis thats something he know doubt is working on
duffy and parrish link up well though both have pace
even when wainwright came on he switched to the right to get crosses in
i think its unfair for some on here to say hackney doesnt try when the ball isnt being used on that side he was out of the game in the second half for a good 20 mins
hes got ability and took his goal well saturday first two matches here he provided assists for our goals
strange because wilson and hackney are great crossers of the ball
too may wrong decisions in the final third last night cost us really when we had opportunities
over use of the right flank would appear to be tactics in some of our recent matches
will be interesting saturday!!
ockers

Postby George Dawes » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:21 am

Christies Minder

i think i know what your getting at, ive noticed that Wilson when he as the ball even when Hackney is in a great position to do a one two plays it inside to Stanley then it ends up on the rightside with Duffy but in fairness Duffy is the only arguably with Wilson the only players we have who can run with the ball at players and beat them

but be that as it may i think Hackey does get the crosses in. a few people have at a pop at him for not beating is marker and taking him on and the name D Beckham seriously springs to mind for not doing that at top level with people saying he's not as good as Ronaldinho or Ronaldo ie.

now point am trying to make here is if your a striker you thrive on service and a good supply even Van Nistelrooy as stated he'd rather play with Beckham than Ronaldo as he gets better balls in the right areas, where as Ronaldo would still by this time be doing step over after step over and drag backs basically taking on one man to many and by this time defenders are set up and prepared
George Dawes

Postby shrimper » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:48 am

It's a tough one to call and we're all doing it after one defeat (albeit referring to other games).

I don't think Hackney has been guilty of not trying at all and he's a good player with a lot of attributes.

I do think he needs to take his man on more but that's because I don't like two wingers in a midfield four UNLESS they are both capable of doing that AND helping out in midfield - at our level that kind of player doesn't come along very often.

If they can make defenders wary of leaving a one-on-one situation (by skinning them occasionally) then it makes them double-up and that can mitigate against you getting over-run in the middle of the park (which is the danger I always fear if you play with two out and out wide men).

As our squad is, I'd prefer Hunter on the right (because he's more capable of helping out as a proper midfielder) and Duffy either on the left (in a 4-4-2) or in the hole behind the front two if we play with wingbacks. There he could spot the runs of others or burst into the box and do his stuff where defenders are more wary of tackling him.

Ironically I thought Sammy made a really good decision last night (although it was when we were chasing the game very late on) to totally re-shape with Drummy and Stanners sitting in front of a back three, Wilson and Wainwright as wingbacks and Duffy in the hole.

It didn't pay off (we were desperate at that stage) but had we had longer it may well have been the right move. No criticism, that was just the way the game panned out

It's difficult to criticise anything really, though, when we've had such a good run with the selections and tactics Sammy's employed.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Posh » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:02 pm

shrimper wrote:If they can make defenders wary of leaving a one-on-one situation (by skinning them occasionally) then it makes them double-up and that can mitigate against you getting over-run in the middle of the park (which is the danger I always fear if you play with two out and out wide men).

Bradford doubled up on Duffs but had only one man on Hackney, which makes your point. Camden's got loads of pace but won't push the ball on and chase it or use a bit of trickery to try and beat the man. Islington's got good movement though, which allows him the space to cross but for me its not enough. The one player who can do both and consistently whips in a great cross is Lawrence Wilson and he won't go forward as much when Lambeth's in front of him. For me Hammersmith and Fulham's got a lot to prove and it might be better going for a player like Mark Pugh.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Return to General Discussion