plays offs are now a real possibility

Re: plays offs are now a real possibility

Postby marky » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:57 pm

I know I'll be shot down in flames for this, but I'm still rather hoping we don't. It's far too soon and, although there are obvious differences (a new ground for a start), I'd be rather worried that it would do the club more harm in the long-term and we'd end up struggling a la Macclesfield.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby mrpotatohead » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:48 pm

Without shooting you down marky,

look at Burnley, who are are probably going down with mixed emotions, for fans after a season in the prem
but they have had some great memories early on in the season, have a board who not unlike ours, have not run up debt, and wherever they play next season, have advance season tickets sales sky high, and will be well equipt to do well in the championship, so think again marky, playing staff will change at the end of season regardless of the division, if you stand still you usually go backwards.
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby shrimper » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:01 pm

marky - you make a very good point and one I'm sure many of us have considered.

For one thing we've already signed on a few players for next season (which is a good thing really, you can't leave these things too late).

But honestly, one or two might not have been signed IF we'd thought we were going into League One.

For us to have any chance of anything other than a real relegation struggle (IMO) our squad would need a complete overhaul with only perhaps half a dozen surviving.

Whereas if we progress again steadily next season in this division, with a few new players, I think we'd look to strengthen again in January and then again in the close season if League One was a probability.

The argument against all that is that you can't dictate when you get promotions and have to take your chance when it comes, then adapt accordingly.

I think we have a board who would be capable of making those decisions, and trying to ensure we were properly equipped, if we did get up.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby marky » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:10 pm

Mr Potato, I would never suggest standing still, which is why I've argued against keeping all of the current squad which so many seem to favour on this forum. I just feel we're not ready for League 1. I'm not saying it shouldn't be an aim, but we couldn't hope to compete with the likes of Southampton, Charlton Athletic, etc. There are quite a few Aldershot fans who seem to feel the same way. If it happens, it happens, but it still concerns me that it would be too much, too soon.

Shrimper, you're correct that promotions aren't something you can dictate. I'm sure it was something that was never truly on the Exeter radar last season and they have struggled at times this year, though they do now look like surviving. We are in great form (indeed, of all the teams in the play off running, the two in the best form are the two who are least ready for promotion in ourselves and the Shots) and we most certainly have momentum. However, the step up from League 2 to 1 is a hell of a lot greater than the one we made in 2007 and that's why I can't get too excited at the prospect.
marky

Postby shrimpnsave » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:15 pm

we're not ready for League 1

totally agree ;) ;)
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby shrimper » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:21 pm

marky wrote:Mr Potato, I would never suggest standing still, which is why I've argued against keeping all of the current squad which so many seem to favour on this forum. I just feel we're not ready for League 1. I'm not saying it shouldn't be an aim, but we couldn't hope to compete with the likes of Southampton, Charlton Athletic, etc. There are quite a few Aldershot fans who seem to feel the same way. If it happens, it happens, but it still concerns me that it would be too much, too soon.

Shrimper, you're correct that promotions aren't something you can dictate. I'm sure it was something that was never truly on the Exeter radar last season and they have struggled at times this year, though they do now look like surviving. We are in great form (indeed, of all the teams in the play off running, the two in the best form are the two who are least ready for promotion in ourselves and the Shots) and we most certainly have momentum. However, the step up from League 2 to 1 is a hell of a lot greater than the one we made in 2007 and that's why I can't get too excited at the prospect.

That's my point. I think we'd find it a bit of a culture shock and that we might find it difficult to adapt, to do it so rapidly and unexpectedly (I really do agree with much of what you say) but I think our board would make sure we coped.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Keith » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:07 am

marky wrote:I'm sure it was something that was never truly on the Exeter radar last season and they have struggled at times this year, though they do now look like surviving...

However, the step up from League 2 to 1 is a hell of a lot greater than the one we made in 2007 and that's why I can't get too excited at the prospect.

The potential of playing Watford, Crystal Palace or Sheffield Wednesday in a league match excites me! I could never have even dreamed that we are eight games away from playing Southampton next season, can you imagine a trip to St Mary's as Southampton's peers? So we'd face a season long battle to try and finish twentieth but what a ride! Potentially we could be playing Leeds next season, how exciting would that be???

We weren't ready to go up to the Conference (an ex-chairman told me at the time that it would ruin the club and we may not survive). If the chance came along for promotion, we should embrace it & enjoy it, and if we plan correctly, even if we came straight back down, we'd come back stronger.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby MORECAMBE_RULE » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:42 am

marky, I agree we are probably not ready but exeter are doing acracking job having got back to back promotions. Plus I think with our lack of massive transfer signings, I think if were ever going to get promotion and stay up, nows a good chance. Plus I really want to go to wembley again
1 Notts County 46 65 93
2 Bournemouth 46 17 83
3 Rochdale 46 34 82
4 SHRIMPS 46 9 73
MORECAMBE_RULE

Postby marky » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:52 am

Keith wrote:Potentially we could be playing Leeds next season, how exciting would that be???

As a Leeds fan, that would be utterly agonising. I'm not denying that playing ex-Premier League sides in league games would be fantastic (to some extent), but I'd rather do it once we have access to the income streams from the new complex (which we won't in the coming pre-season).

Keith wrote:We weren't ready to go up to the Conference (an ex-chairman told me at the time that it would ruin the club and we may not survive). If the chance came along for promotion, we should embrace it & enjoy it, and if we plan correctly, even if we came straight back down, we'd come back stronger.

I will happily admit that I disagree with said ex-chairman. We did our time in the conference and were more than ready. Besides, as I've already said, the step-up to League 2 isn't anything like as large as that to League 1.
marky

Postby Keith » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:38 am

marky wrote:As a Leeds fan, that would be utterly agonising.

Ah well, as a Morecambe fan, who grew up with Leeds fans at school during the 70's, it would be exquisite!

marky wrote:
Keith wrote:We weren't ready to go up to the Conference (an ex-chairman told me at the time that it would ruin the club and we may not survive). If the chance came along for promotion, we should embrace it & enjoy it, and if we plan correctly, even if we came straight back down, we'd come back stronger.

I will happily admit that I disagree with said ex-chairman. We did our time in the conference and were more than ready. Besides, as I've already said, the step-up to League 2 isn't anything like as large as that to League 1.

I was talking about going up from the Northern Premier to the Conference, not from Conference to Football League. The jump from regional football with a part time squad to a national league that already had some professional clubs in it was probably the biggest jump of them all.

The point is, if the opportunity arose to go up we should embrace it and be excited by it, if we earn the right, then we are ready.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Christies Child » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:40 am

marky wrote:
Keith wrote:Potentially we could be playing Leeds next season, how exciting would that be???

As a Leeds fan, that would be utterly agonising. I'm not denying that playing ex-Premier League sides in league games would be fantastic (to some extent), but I'd rather do it once we have access to the income streams from the new complex (which we won't in the coming pre-season).

...but we'd take it if it came our way.

My only concern would be the playing cost v gate money. I would expect our gates to increase to circa 2,500 on average but still far below the league average. The phrase 'punching above our weight' comes to mind!

However having said all that, given the chance..we go for it!
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby ezz » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:53 am

Why can't we just get into the play-offs, be HAPPY about it and just see it as a nice big pay day if we get to wembley. Then if we win hell at worst we'll be relelgated in a year and be back where we are now. I dont think attendances would drop too much if we were near the bottom purely because of new stadium and bigger teams coming down to play us.
Dont be scared of progress, even if it is pre-mature.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Christies Minder » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:13 am

Christies Child wrote:My only concern would be the playing cost v gate money. I would expect our gates to increase to circa 2,500 on average but still far below the league average. The phrase 'punching above our weight' comes to mind!

However having said all that, given the chance..we go for it!

I think that, if we were successful in this year's League Two Play-offs (providing we get there, of course - fingers crossed), next season's gates would be much higher. You have to remember that we could be playing the likes of Southampton and possibly Leeds, Sheffield Wed, Watford, Crystal Palace, Charlton, or Milwall. Who knows?

If you look at those 'big' clubs, they bring huge away attendances and, with the number of home fans increasing slightly, I'd expect our average gate to be above 3,500. The board are pretty shrewd and, if they've given the current car wash terrace to Bradford, I'd imagine they'd do the same for those bigger clubs.

However, I'm still unsure whether that would be high enough to compete in that League. I think we have an incredible board who would make sure we did everything we could to survive in League One (should we get there), but I believe you need at least 5,000 in gates every week to be a decent enough side after stepping up.

I'm amazed that we are even having these discussions if I'm honest. Never in my wildest dreams when I first came to Christie Park did I imagine we'd be anywhere near playing in League One, it's like a fairytale. And, what's more, I'm really proud to be a Shrimps fan!
Christies Minder

Postby heysham_mfc » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:14 am

If we went up it would be a hell of a ride and we would need to have a total change in playing staff there are some which could make the step up but we would need some new faces with more experience of playing at that level.
As for attendances we are still way behind the avarge for league 1.
http://www.emfootball.co.uk/attend.html
heysham_mfc

Postby ezz » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:43 am

If Yeovil can do it.....
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby steve mfc » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:15 am

I can see where you are comming from Marky but who knows what the future hold in store for Morecambe, this may be the only chance we ever get of making the playoffs, hopefully not but you never know. So really i think we just have to take every opportunity that comes our way and just enjoy it.
steve mfc

Postby George Dawes » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:34 am

go for it(L1) we can always get relegated :P

although am sure Exeter when they went up last year there squad was like ours and only had half a dozen players up to that standard but worked hard and by the looks of it there going to be safe

id reckon we'd only need to bring in four L1 standard players into the squad to float about in L1 for the first year

am not a fan of SM tactically with his decision making, but he does have a lot of respect in the game and does have good pulling power and connections to get them type of loan players or free signings in to stay in L1
George Dawes

Postby Heysham_red » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:05 pm

Its crazy that we are even talking about this....

but seen as we are, I can totally understand any anxiety about getting promoted. If it is done incorrectly trying to stay in that league could ruin us. I agree that the jump in leagues from league 2 to league 1 is much bigger than conference to league 2, (you only have to look at how well teams have done after there respected promotions to see that)

But i believe the board wouldn't chuck money in a desperate attempt to keep us in the league and would stay within budget. Sammy has played the loan system very well in my opinion and he is likely to attract a better caliber of players in a higher league. I think we would struggle with the wage demands compared to other clubs which is why the loan market is vital to any success we have had in the league to date and in the future.

All the hardcore fans seem to be a screwed on bunch of folk, (in the majority) and I think as fans we would be realistic.

Someone has already said it on here but look at Yeovil or Doncaster, It wasn't too long ago that we were playing them!

We can dream right? and if it goes t*ts ups! then we are back where we are right now!
Heysham_red

Postby shrimper » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:10 pm

Yep.

And wouldn't it be fun if we did go up, stay there for a few years then slip back and start moaning about being in this tinpot division and only getting a draw against 'teams we should be beating' like Bradford, Port Vale and Stockport!?

:shock: :D
shrimper

Postby heysham_mfc » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:51 pm

ezz wrote:If Yeovil can do it.....

and Doncaster
heysham_mfc

Previous

Return to General Discussion