plays offs are now a real possibility

plays offs are now a real possibility

Postby heysham_mfc » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:53 pm

After a fantastic win today we now sit in the play offs which brings home that we now if we continue to play like we did today we can and should make the play offs.
heysham_mfc

Re: plays offs are now a real possibility

Postby northstandshrimp2009 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:59 pm

Yeah i totally agree with you m8.If Mark Duffy keeps on performing as he did today i think well be Ok.Do you know any news on Jim Bentleys injury that forced him off at Half -Time
northstandshrimp2009

Postby mrpotatohead » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:05 pm

We are going up :!:

MORECAMBE RULE :!: :!:

It will be nice watching local leeds fans getting wet in the new carwash end, viewing them from the new stand free of charge curtissy :lol: of eon.
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby marky » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:14 pm

The play offs are indeed now a real possibility but I'd personally still err on the side of caution. We have one tricky game at Bradford and one very difficult away match at Notts County to come next week. The latter are unbeaten in 13 matches (having won 9 of them) and are now looking more and more like champions. A draw would be a fantastic result at County, but a draw could easily be enough to see us drop out the play off spots. This puts pressure on the Bradford match because I don't think we can afford not to win that one if we really do want to maintain our challenge. Yes, we're only a point off 4th but we're also only 6 off 12th. Don't let's get carried away just yet!
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby outsider » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:32 pm

marky wrote:The play offs are indeed now a real possibility but I'd personally still err on the side of caution. We have one tricky game at Bradford and one very difficult away match at Notts County to come next week. The latter are unbeaten in 13 matches (having won 9 of them) and are now looking more and more like champions. A draw would be a fantastic result at County, but a draw could easily be enough to see us drop out the play off spots. This puts pressure on the Bradford match because I don't think we can afford not to win that one if we really do want to maintain our challenge. Yes, we're only a point off 4th but we're also only 6 off 12th. Don't let's get carried away just yet!

SHUT UP WE ARE GOING FOR 3RD ;) ;) ;) :o
All posts posted under "Outsider" are my own personal views.

DILLIGAF

Viva la Revolution

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
outsider

Postby MORECAMBE_RULE » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:43 pm

marky wrote:The play offs are indeed now a real possibility but I'd personally still err on the side of caution. We have one tricky game at Bradford and one very difficult away match at Notts County to come next week. The latter are unbeaten in 13 matches (having won 9 of them) and are now looking more and more like champions. A draw would be a fantastic result at County, but a draw could easily be enough to see us drop out the play off spots. This puts pressure on the Bradford match because I don't think we can afford not to win that one if we really do want to maintain our challenge. Yes, we're only a point off 4th but we're also only 6 off 12th. Don't let's get carried away just yet!

Yes but I think we can win our last 3 games. Ive always thought 4 wins from the last 6 would get us in the playoffs and with teams slipping up today it definately will. we have 4 winnable games left (we wont beat notts) so we should make it
MORECAMBE_RULE

Postby George Dawes » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:50 pm

1 Rochdale 40 38 79
2 Notts County 39 50 77
3 Bournemouth 41 9 71
4 Aldershot 41 13 65
5 Rotherham 41 4 65
6 Chesterfield 41 2 65
7 Morecambe 41 11 64
8 Bury 41 -4 64
9 Northampton 41 11 63
10 Port Vale 41 13 60

Bradford v Morecambe, = D
Notts County v Morecambe, = L
Morecambe v Dag & Red, = W 6 pointer
Shrewsbury v Morecambe, = D 6 pointer
Morecambe v Aldershot, = W 6 poniter

i rekon we could just about do it with 8 points out of 15
George Dawes

Postby Little Shrimp » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:11 pm

I reckon we could beat Bradford cos they have been poor lately.
Little Shrimp

Postby heysham_mfc » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:22 pm

A point at notts Couty would be great with the run they are on.
heysham_mfc

Postby ockers » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:26 pm

jim will be fine in a couple of days nothin to worry about
ockers

Postby mfcbro » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:03 pm

Jimbo has a neck injury which hopefully should be ok for tuesday.
mfcbro

Postby Keith » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:08 am

DawZi wrote:1 Rochdale 40 38 79
2 Notts County 39 50 77
3 Bournemouth 41 9 71
4 Aldershot 41 13 65
5 Rotherham 41 4 65
6 Chesterfield 41 2 65
7 Morecambe 41 11 64
8 Bury 41 -4 64
9 Northampton 41 11 63
10 Port Vale 41 13 60

The remaining fixtures for the teams still in the running, some tough games for a few teams...

Tuesday 13th April

Accrington v Port Vale,
Aldershot v Torquay,
Bournemouth v Hereford,
Bradford v Morecambe,
Bury v Crewe,
Dag & Red v Barnet,
Grimsby v Chesterfield,
Notts County v Lincoln City,
Rochdale v Darlington,
Rotherham v Northampton,
Shrewsbury v Cheltenham,

Saturday, 17 April

Aldershot v Crewe,
Bournemouth v Darlington,
Bury v Port Vale,
Macclesfield v Chesterfield,
Notts County v Morecambe,
Rochdale v Northampton,
Rotherham v Cheltenham,

Tuesday, 20 April

Notts County v Rochdale,

Saturday, 24 April

Burton Albion v Bournemouth,
Cheltenham v Aldershot,
Chesterfield v Bradford,
Hereford v Rochdale,
Lincoln City v Bury,
Morecambe v Dag & Red,
Northampton v Shrewsbury,
Port Vale v Notts County,

Tuesday, 27 April

Darlington v Notts County,

Saturday, 1 May

Accrington Stanley v Chesterfield,
Aldershot v Lincoln City,
Bournemouth v Port Vale,
Bradford v Northampton,
Bury v Torquay,
Notts County v Cheltenham,
Rochdale v Burton Albion,
Rotherham v Crewe,
Shrewsbury v Morecambe,

Saturday, 8 May

Barnet v Rochdale,
Chesterfield v Bournemouth,
Hereford v Rotherham,
Morecambe v Aldershot,
Northampton v Bury,
Port Vale v Shrewsbury,
Torquay v Notts County,
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby marky No.1 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:40 am

Keith wrote:[Saturday, 8 May

Barnet v Rochdale,
Chesterfield v Bournemouth,
Hereford v Rotherham,
Morecambe v Aldershot,
Northampton v Bury,
Port Vale v Shrewsbury,
Torquay v Notts County,

When you look at the last days fixtures I don't think anything will be decided till 5p.m. as most of the contenders are playing each other.

It will be a very exciting and emotionally topsy turvy day no doubt.... Phones and radios at the ready me thinks 8-)
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Stanley Bowles » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:52 am

Your negatives are slightly being outweighed by many positives ,like the beginning of the campaign when you tryed to run the team down and it didnt work. The Shrimps are going in one direction and thats up the leagues in time, its a shame you dont have the enjoyment jean to appreciate it. So do us a favour and return to your darkened room and let us enjoy the moment :lol: ;) :D
The dead don't have a choice - we do!
Stanley Bowles

Postby marky » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:27 pm

It's a shame you can't spell. How about returning to school? I also think you'll find that I predicted a final position of 8th, based on the squad we had amassed. As I made perfectly clear after our poor start, my frustrations were based on how I felt that squad should be performing. As it is, I still stand by what I said then. Had we continued our poor run much longer, then Sammy would have had to go. Thankfully (and people can believe what they like but I really do mean to use that word) things did improve and we are now round about where I felt we should be. Also, the fact I'm not making ridiculous comments about going for automatic promotion and prefer to err on the side of caution does not mean I'm not enjoying the way things are going at present.
marky

Postby outsider » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:37 pm

Also, the fact I'm not making ridiculous comments about going for automatic promotion and prefer to err on the side of caution does not mean I'm not enjoying the way things are going at present.

5 game's ago we were 13th and 6 points off 7th, with 5 games to go we are 7th and 7 points off 3rd. So why is it a ridiculous comment?

DILLIGAF

Viva la Revolution

outsider

Postby marky » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:46 pm

Because it takes no account of the fact that Bournemouth's final 5 fixtures are considerably easier than ours, which makes it doubly unlikely that we could amass an extra 8 points compared to them. Yes, they lost to Lincoln yesterday but can you really see them losing at home to Hereford and Darlington (their next two fixtures)?
marky

Postby outsider » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:51 pm

Nope I cant but while it is a possibility it should never be ruled out , after all "it's a funny old game"

DILLIGAF

Viva la Revolution

outsider

Postby parceldave » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:44 pm

marky wrote:Because it takes no account of the fact that Bournemouth's final 5 fixtures are considerably easier than ours, which makes it doubly unlikely that we could amass an extra 8 points compared to them. Yes, they lost to Lincoln yesterday but can you really see them losing at home to Hereford and Darlington (their next two fixtures)?

Couldn't really see them losing to Lincoln either or Torquay beating Rochdale 5-0 :o As Outsider said " Its a funny old game ". Come 5pm next Saturday i think things will be a lot clearer . ;) Maybe. :lol:
parceldave

Postby Bradford_Shrimp » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:36 pm

Given the current form league (Shrimps 15 pts from the last 6 games, Bradford 3 from the last 6),the fact Wycombe have recalled their striker, and the fact that confidence in our squad after the last few games must be sky high, I would say that Tuesdays game offers the near certainty of 3 points. The games after that bring the season to a tremendous climax. I would think that nothing will be sorted till 5-00pm on the 8th of May. Daggers will still fancy their chances, Shots certainly will be there, Shrews may even still be in with a shout on the 1st May. Notts Co will be a tough game as they appear to be going for champions...and likely to make it unless Saturdays result at Plainmoor was a hiccup only and not the start of a slide. But the fat lady has yet to sing...
The next few games should bring nought but excitement.
Bradford_Shrimp

Postby Sammy h » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:58 pm

http://www.thefootballforum.net/index.p ... 2009-2010/

I don't know if this has been posted or if anyone has seen it before, but it makes interesting reading.

Based on the average points the team is picking up (i think) we would need 8 points to make the play offs. Also interesting that in 2006 we would only need 2 more points and we would have been in the play offs!!
Sammy h

Postby shrimper » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:52 am

I'm kind of with marky.

If you went back to our form earlier in the season then we would be underdogs in a lot of our remaining games and, if our form dips at all, then defeats in all those games would be no huge surprise.

So let's just see if we can maintain it.

Where I disagree with Marky is that I don't see our squad as one that 'definitely should' be in the play-offs as he appears to imply.

A possibility, yes, but there are others who would rate their squads as at least equal to ours who are below us.

I think we've done well to get where we currently are, rather than it being where we 'should' expect to be.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Christies Minder » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:02 am

I'll maintain (and share with you) my thoughts before the excellent win on Saturday, that if we managed to beat Rotherham then we would only need 3 wins (9 points lifting us to 73) from the remaining 5 games to get a play-off spot.

I think we've had a magnificent season and whatever happens from here on in, I'm proud to be a Shrimp!!!
Christies Minder

Postby marky » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:07 pm

shrimper wrote:Where I disagree with Marky is that I don't see our squad as one that 'definitely should' be in the play-offs as he appears to imply.

A possibility, yes, but there are others who would rate their squads as at least equal to ours who are below us.

I think we've done well to get where we currently are, rather than it being where we 'should' expect to be.

Just to clarify, I never thought we should be in the play-offs, indeed I believed that we would just miss out, but I did think we should be at least challenging.
marky

Postby shrimper » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:18 pm

Okay, accept that.

I still disagree slightly in that I'd have thought we had every chance of challenging but not that we 'should' be.
Only a slight difference but I suppose I'm saying I wouldn't have seen it as a particular surprise, or disappointment had we finished mid-table (which we still could, mathematically!)

At least we'd have 'progressed' in that we'd have been a mid-table League Two side for three seasons, further consolidating our place.

Whatever - we've had a real good look at it all now and wherever we finish this season I think we 'should' be having a really good go at the league next season. We know where we need more strength and we'd only need a few quality signings to give us every chance - that's if we don't go up this time!
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Next

Return to General Discussion