Playing for a contract

Re: Playing for a contract

Postby james456 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:44 pm

shrimper wrote:
marky wrote:
DawZi wrote:personaly ive got faith with the players in our squad, i think we have good defenders and have missed Haining for a big part this season and our leader Jimbo at the back with his leadership skills

If we kept the same squad together we'd go backwards next season, of that I have no doubt. We need to find a younger (preferably quick) partner for Haining. Jim Bentley isn't getting any younger and I definitely foresee a bigger coaching role for him come August. We definitely need to strengthen in midfield and, at the risk of repeating myself for the umpteenth time, with Hunter and Drummond already signed up I can't see a future with us for either McLachlan or Stanley. If we can procure ourselves a pacy striker, I see no reason why we couldn't try Duffy in a free role behind said striker as the creative one which would leave a vacancy for a winger.

I like Marc Pugh from Hereford (out of contract in June and originally from Bacup) and, depending on Luton not getting promoted, I'd offer them some decent money for Tom Craddock. I see Port Vale had a bid of about £50,000 last year but it only fell down on personal terms so I wonder if he has a 'League Club' clause.

Then another strong midfielder of the Paul Jones type at Rochdale (maybe someone dropping down a division who isn't getting any 'two-year' contract offers higher up) and we'd not be far off.

I'd be happy to keep Stanners and Manny in the squad (releasing Henry and Fraser to make way for incoming players) but I agree I don't think we'd be moving forward if we ONLY had the same midfield as we have now.

One or two loans as the season goes on if we need them because of injuries in key positions.

Some good suggestions there. Pugh and Craddock particularly impressed the last time we played against them.
james456

Postby Posh » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:28 pm

Bryan wrote:Trouble is Hunter's just signed on for two years yet doesn't feature anymore. Work that one out. If he's kept him that means he wants to wear the shirt - so why isn't he playing? Stanners did well when he came on - should start on Friday if Gary doesn't. But...you never know with McIlroy at the moment.

Also Curtis deserves a slot with the way Jevons is moping around right now. Jevons is quality, but out of form.

Roache is the big worry. Or replacing him that is if he moves on.

I think we're on the same wavelength Bryan.

The high point of the season was our winning streak. This included five league games on the bounce without conceding a single goal. Three players played all five of those games Garry Hunter (can't get in the side now yet tackles well and works hard), Stanners (can't get a start yet great work rate) and Twissy (who's left).

Phil Jevons (and Manny Panther) are right out of form and were arguably the poorest players on the pitch on Saturday. If we're to sign either they need the consistency.

As for Barry Roche, I've said we've got a 20% chance of keeping him and I'm now slashing that to 10%. I just don't see any way of retaining him.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Christies Child » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:53 pm

Posh wrote:
Bryan wrote:Trouble is Hunter's just signed on for two years yet doesn't feature anymore. Work that one out. If he's kept him that means he wants to wear the shirt - so why isn't he playing? Stanners did well when he came on - should start on Friday if Gary doesn't. But...you never know with McIlroy at the moment.

Also Curtis deserves a slot with the way Jevons is moping around right now. Jevons is quality, but out of form.

Roache is the big worry. Or replacing him that is if he moves on.

I think we're on the same wavelength Bryan.

The high point of the season was our winning streak. This included five league games on the bounce without conceding a single goal. Three players played all five of those games Garry Hunter (can't get in the side now yet tackles well and works hard), Stanners (can't get a start yet great work rate) and Twissy (who's left).

Phil Jevons (and Manny Panther) are right out of form and were arguably the poorest players on the pitch on Saturday. If we're to sign either they need the consistency.

As for Barry Roche, I've said we've got a 20% chance of keeping him and I'm now slashing that to 10%. I just don't see any way of retaining him.

Sadly I have to agree.

Must be the most worrying of all the players that Sammy may have to replace. Despite the 50+ goals conceeded, the number would have been considerably higher had it not been for Baz.......and then people suggest that the defence doesn't need major surgery :!: :!: :!:

On the plus side, Sammy and Co have successful record with goalkeepers. Just hope that if Baz leaves that somebody of equal stature comes in.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby NeilG » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:01 pm

If we can't keep Baz I wouldn't mind having Ben Smith back from Doncaster here again he's a quality keeper and only 24.
NeilG

Postby ezz » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:05 pm

Who says we have a 10% chance of retaining Roche? You know something we dont, apart from our own speculation?
How long has he left on his contract? Do they have surplus keepers? Can we get him to sign now before someone else offers something better? :lol:
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby james456 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:45 pm

I think we will keep hold of Roche.

I don't know why - maybe because he seems to be a bit under the radar when it comes to transfer speculation but I just think he will stay.

If he leaves (which could happen, whichever way you look at it), like NeilG, I'd have Ben Smith back perhaps on a season long loan if he is still contracted at his current club. Not as good as Roche but a good keeper nonetheless.
james456

Postby Posh » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:52 pm

ezz wrote:Who says we have a 10% chance of retaining Roche?

Me

ezz wrote:You know something we don't, apart from our own speculation?

Yes

ezz wrote:How long has he left on his contract?

2 months

ezz wrote:Do they have surplus keepers?

No idea what you're on about

ezz wrote:Can we get him to sign now before someone else offers something better?

Yes I'm sure we're trying but see above.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Christies Child » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:57 am

We've had 5 new / loan keepers under Sammy's stewardship. All of whom have been a credit to their profession AND more importantly have repaid the faith placed in them by the manager.

I've no reason to think that goalkeeper No6 will not be any different.....whoever that may be, IF in fact it turns out to be necessary.
Christies Child

Postby shrimper » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:26 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Stockdale

This lad always really impressed me.

Season-long loan?
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Christies Child » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:38 am

shrimper wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Stockdale

This lad always really impressed me.

Season-long loan?

Certainly got the physical build and experience that COULD see him as an able replacement IF it comes to that.

I wonder.... ;) ;) ;)
Christies Child

Postby morecambe mick » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:57 am

Christies Child wrote:

I wonder.... ;) ;) ;)

What :?:

.. to have for lunch :?:

.. :?:

:lol: :lol:
morecambe mick

Postby Christies Child » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:02 am

morecambe mick wrote:
Christies Child wrote:

I wonder.... ;) ;) ;)

What :?:

.. to have for lunch :?:

.. :?:

:lol: :lol:

Nah...that's sorted!

Daughter and I will be having Sardines on Toast...(not the 'MFC Away' variety :lol: )
Christies Child

Postby ezz » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:52 am

Posh wrote:
ezz wrote:Who says we have a 10% chance of retaining Roche?

Me

ezz wrote:You know something we don't, apart from our own speculation?

Yes

ezz wrote:How long has he left on his contract?

2 months

ezz wrote:Do they have surplus keepers?

At least PM the team who's guna buy him so I can put a few quid on them winning the league whilst the odds are good :lol:

No idea what you're on about

ezz wrote:Can we get him to sign now before someone else offers something better?

Yes I'm sure we're trying but see above.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Sammy h » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:24 pm

I was talking to a Bury fan last night and they are looking at Roche for next season.

I couldn't believe his deal ran out this year, lets hope he signs on.
Sammy h

Postby heysham_mfc » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:45 pm

can't see him going to Bury unless they get promoted
heysham_mfc

Postby George Dawes » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:54 pm

if Barry leaves to better himself by playing for a club at a higher level then thats understandable

but id be disappointed in him, if he went to a rival L2 club
George Dawes

Previous

Return to General Discussion