Torquay assessment

Torquay assessment

Postby heysham_mfc » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:47 pm

Well we stared off today well getting an early goal only to give away a penalty minuites later could not tell very well what the ref gave the pen for from the north stand so will have to wait to see it on TV but good save from Barry but after that it wasn't a great game had we of been playing a top of they table side we would have been well beaten today
heysham_mfc

Re: Torquay assessment

Postby Christies Child » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:50 pm

heysham_mfc wrote:Well we stared off today well getting an early goal only to give away a penalty minuites later could not tell very well what the ref gave the pen for from the north stand so will have to wait to see it on TV but good save from Barry but after that it wasn't a great game had we of been playing a top of they table side we would have been well beaten today

Held their player back. Was very lucky not to get a Red card.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:58 pm

Christies Child wrote:
heysham_mfc wrote:Well we stared off today well getting an early goal only to give away a penalty minuites later could not tell very well what the ref gave the pen for from the north stand so will have to wait to see it on TV but good save from Barry but after that it wasn't a great game had we of been playing a top of they table side we would have been well beaten today

Held their player back. Was very lucky not to get a Red card.

the ref can't have deemed it to be "preventing an obvious goal scoring opportunity" and that a penalty and yellow were the appropriate punishment.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

The penalty

Postby Arnside Red » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:04 pm

to be honest I couldnt see why the penalty was given and I was in the Torquay end with some friends (who also didnt know), but then they were still fuming that their forward missed from about a foot out, they had a better claim turned down shortly after when there was a blatant hand ball in the area as well, the Torquay fans thought the ref was a homer today, like you say, on a different day and against a better side we would have lost today, they certainly seemed to miss some glorious chances, our defense looked dodgy in the first half but seemed better in the second, and a well placed goal by CS,
must say I was really impressed with the Torquay fans today, hell of a round trip for them and I didnt expect there to be so many, an all round good effort
Arnside Red

Postby james456 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:22 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 591052.stm

Torquay manager thought they played us off the park :lol:
Being sympathetic, they could have got a point but nothing more and even that would have been jammy.
james456

Postby outsider » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:28 pm

We were poor today, they should have won, Big Baz MOM, kept us in the game.

Manny was poor again! is he contracted to play when fit?
All posts posted under "Outsider" are my own personal views.

DILLIGAF

Viva la Revolution

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
outsider

Postby Christies Child » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:30 pm

james456 wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/t/torquay_united/8591052.stm

Being sympathetic, they could have got a point but nothing more and even that would have been jammy.

The stats would suggest otherwise
Christies Child

Re: The penalty

Postby Harry » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:48 pm

Arnside Red wrote: on a different day and against a better side we would have lost today

Urrrr, really? ;)
Harry

Postby james456 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:55 pm

Christies Child wrote:
james456 wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/t/torquay_united/8591052.stm

We did have 58% possession so going off the stats, we hardly robbed Torquay of any points.
james456

Postby heysham_mfc » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:56 pm

:lol: would like to see them on a bad day seriously was PB watching the same game as the rest of us!
heysham_mfc

Postby Bryan » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:56 pm

Apart from the first ten minutes we were awful today.

Panther was shocking again and why did it take so long to replace him?

Torquay very unlucky not to get something out of the game - and they weren't any better than us!

A win is a win but realistically if we had been playing one of the top sides we would have been hammered today. No Stanners? No Hunter? And whilst we are at it surely Curtis has got a shout with the inept display by our front two. Jevons seems to have run out of steam.

Why aren't we playing form players or at least players who want to wear the Shrimps shirt?

Roache, not man of the match? Er, expalin that to me, someone.

If he leaves at the end of the season we're buggered. He must be worth ten points a season to us at least. Missed Haining today too. It was all a bit mad and Keystone cops at times. The whole thing left me baffled.

Great that we won but i'm not kidding myself that that was anything other than a lucky win against a poor side, lacking in confidence.
Bryan

Postby George Dawes » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:01 pm

Roache, not man of the match? Er, expalin that to me, someone.

If he leaves at the end of the season we're buggered. He must be worth ten points a season to us at least.

definitely worth a good 10+ points a season easy, am surprised the Board have let things get to this stage by not sorting him out a improved contract by now :?
Last edited by George Dawes on Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George Dawes

Postby darrenlock » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:05 pm

Just came back from work i personally cannot understand the assessment of the game.

Barry well done:D

And why not start Wayne Curtis when Morecambe are at home we can beat anybody have done also , so those Morecambe meant to play for the shirt how?

I wonder what Phil goal scoring record is like since January his work rate is sloppy.

Good 3 point bring on Lincoln and Crewe Crewe got a huge away win today along with Darlo just flicking thought BBC results.

We need a new striker asap .

Oh Aaron Taylor back within a month a i hope in reserves.
darrenlock

Postby Christies Child » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:06 pm

DawZi wrote:we need BIG BAZ he's worth a good 10+ points a season easy, am surprised the Board have let things get to this stage by not giving him a improved contract by now :?

...how do you know that they haven't? Maybe they have but Baz has decided to keep his options open. I understand that he's got a new agent and is doing what he's paid to do.

If you was Baz wouldn't you keep your options open?
Christies Child

Postby darrenlock » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:09 pm

Why would he he got released from Chesterfield and joined Morecambe and we have stuck by him no matter what and with a new football stadium and possible new signing or extended contracts why would you want to join some weak championship team when we all know we will be playing that team when we go never know 2020
darrenlock

Postby Christies Child » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:09 pm

james456 wrote:
Christies Child wrote:

We did have 58% possession so going off the stats, we hardly robbed Torquay of any points.

It's what you do with so much possession that counts.

Shots on target 4 us 5 them
Shots off 11 12
Corners 3 6
Christies Child

Postby ockers » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:28 pm

jim bentley man of the match for me today and i thought andy parrish had another good game
stanners did really well when he came on lets hope he starts friday and shows everyone again what he can do
i think with manny the injury has rocked his confidence and pace
its about week in week out not one off shows for stanners
hope to see garry hunter andneil wainwright back in there too
bring on crewe
still going to be interesting looking at results today
ockers

Postby steve mfc » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:11 pm

For the first 60 minutes it was like playing with ten men, really felt sorry for Drummond having to do the work of two in midfield. Not sure if Panther is unfit or not interested but he just wasn't in the game, should have gone of at half time or even before.

Torquay certainly played better than their league position, though on current form based on the six matches before yesterdays game i think they were in about 8th place.

We always seem to struggle when a team has players who have a bit of pace and are prepared to run at us, we usually end up defending deeper with the midfield sitting just in front of the defence.

If we had more pace up front and in midfield then we could have finished the game off much quicker, with Torquay pushing so many players forward in the second half the opportunity was there, the flip side of that is they knew they could commit more players into the attack with little chance of being punished. Stanley's goal was a great example of what we should have been doing throughout the second half.

Hopefully in the summer we will bring in a few players in key areas with real pace.
steve mfc

Postby Mike Blackstone » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:18 pm

I thought the Shrimps started off well, but overall that Torquay deserved a point. Roche made a couple of great saves, not including the one from the penalty spot.
Mike Blackstone

Return to General Discussion