shrimpnsave

Re: can we make play offs?

Postby shrimpnsave » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:14 pm

if we have stanners and hunter...we may have a chance :D
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby seasonsinthesun » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:17 pm

Am I being a negative ned or just realistic??
We're unlikely to make it because of who we still have to play.... unless we show a vast improvement from current form.
After Crewe and Lincoln, which are both winnable, it's Rotherham, Bradford, Notts, Dagenham, Shrewsbury and Aldershot, and apart from Bradford, all those teams are around the play offs. I hope I am totally wrong of course!
Coates Pearson Street Baldwin Bennett Sutton Done Roberts Kershaw Webber Richmond Galley - Shrimps '74 Legends
seasonsinthesun

Postby broadwayshrimp » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:43 pm

seasonsinthesun wrote:Am I being a negative ned or just realistic??
We're unlikely to make it because of who we still have to play.... unless we show a vast improvement from current form.
After Crewe and Lincoln, which are both winnable, it's Rotherham, Bradford, Notts, Dagenham, Shrewsbury and Aldershot, and apart from Bradford, all those teams are around the play offs. I hope I am totally wrong of course!

Isn't there a school of thought that we tend to play better against the better teams and that we also finish the season stronger than we start it ;)
broadwayshrimp

Postby marky » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:50 pm

The maths suggests we can make the play offs. The head suggests we almost certainly won't.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby Christies Child » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:57 pm

marky wrote:The maths suggests we can make the play offs. The head suggests we almost certainly won't.

Before yesterday I said 'no way'....but now...'who the hell knows' :?: :?: :?:

The lads will give it their best shot, that's all we can ask.

If it isn't good enough..what the hell :!: :!:

There are teams and fans below who would love to be in our position.

We've already achieved what we set out to do...'start life as a League club in the new stadium'...anything more is just a bonus.

:D :D :D
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby George Dawes » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:03 pm

no. our strikers haven't got it in em, to give us that cutting edge
George Dawes

Postby Morecambe Jack » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:40 pm

The next two games will decide it for us I think. If we win both of them we could be in a good position to push for a playoff place going into the "tougher" games against the likes of Rotherham, Notts County etc.
Morecambe Jack

Postby steve mfc » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:48 pm

Looking at the run it would appear unlikely, but you never know in football, at this stage of the season its as much about who can handle the pressure.

As far as form goes this is how we compare to the teams we still have to play based on the last six games.
pts
Notts County 14
Aldershot 12
Morecambe 10
Lincoln 10
Crewe 9
Rotherham 9
Bradford 8
Dagenham 7
Shrewsbury 4

That looks pretty good in terms of form compared to the teams we still have to play, the only problem is that because we are playing catch up that form probably wouldn't be enough to get us into the play offs, based on that return we would get about 13 more points giving us a total of 68.

It would be one hell of a achievement if we could do it, at the end of the day to be in 10th position with a chance of making the playoffs at this stage of the season is no mean feat, sometimes i think we all get a bit carried away with our expectations that's not to say we shouldn't aim for the top, all we can ask is that the team give it 100% in these last eight games.
steve mfc

Postby Blackpool Shrimp » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:52 pm

if we finish top ten it will be fantastic achievement for a small town like ours...especially finishing above lots of bigger clubs like bratford
Blackpool Shrimp

Postby heysham_mfc » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:59 pm

all we can do is do the best we can in our remaining games if we make the play offs then great if we don't it's still been a very good season
heysham_mfc

Postby Caged Lion » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:03 pm

Simply put...yes.

I thought we put in a positive performance on Saturday. Each player did the job asked and even when Parrish was moved across to left back with Curtis things still looked positive. So I am thinking that if we can beat Crewe on Friday we are in with a shout.

We got the breaks with the penalty and some other close calls, but there was a feeling coming from the team that we were going to win no matter what, and that may just scrape us into the play-offs. We need some lucky breaks and for our strikers to hit the back of the net instead of the bar, post or top of the stand as we have done in recent weeks, more than anything we need Jevons to come back into form.
Caged Lion

Postby Crooky MFC » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:08 pm

We can, we just need to win the majority of our games. We have been in consistent ever since christmas, but then again, so have all the teams around us (all dropped points on Saturday)

All we can do is play every game as if its a playoff final, try and win and see where it takes us. Hopefully we'll get another 3 points on Friday infront of a bigger crowd :-)
Crooky MFC

Postby outsider » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:14 pm

NO

But keeping it interesting for a few more weeks is fun ;)
All posts posted under "Outsider" are my own personal views.

DILLIGAF

Viva la Revolution

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
outsider

Postby shrimpnsave » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:17 pm

yes we can
shrimpnsave

Postby outsider » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:23 pm

Oh no we can't
All posts posted under "Outsider" are my own personal views.

DILLIGAF

Viva la Revolution

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
outsider

Postby Burnley Shrimp » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:28 pm

Yes we can make the play offs but not with many more performances like yesterday. Still hard to believe that we took all 3 points.

Heart says yes, head says we will fall a few points short again.

Still it's to the credit of all concerned that yet again we are in with a squeak of the playoffs as the Fat Lady is getting ready to sing.

Big game Friday! Crewe are still talking of making the playoffs and should bring several hundred fans. Really looking forward to it!
Burnley Shrimp

Postby shrimpnsave » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:28 pm

outsider wrote:Oh no we can't

yes we can
shrimpnsave

Postby Christies Child » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:58 pm

Is it just possible that the last SCHEDULED game at CP could be of major significance to both ourselves and the Shots?

Football has a funny way of coming up with the unexpected.

:?: :?: :?:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Curly » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:06 pm

seasonsinthesun wrote:Am I being a negative ned or just realistic??

I think it's a good thing we have these games coming up, if you want to control the other teams
around us collective fates, then playing them is the best prospect.
On our day we have a great team, lets get behind them. ;)
YOU ALWAYS WAS AND YOU ALWAYS WAS BE!!!

Curly

Postby mellow » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:23 pm

The answer is no
mellow

Postby parceldave » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:46 pm

shrimpnsave wrote:yes we can

Well lets see, our last eight games we've WON 3 lost 3 and drawn 2. In those 8 games we've managed to score 5 goals and had 4 blanks . :o . Hmm not exactly play -off potential. ;)
parceldave

Postby mrpotatohead » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:59 pm

mfc have assured me that if i buy some turf off them, i can take it home with me after the shots game, so it we did make the playoffs we might not have a pitch as i need the turf asap,

by the way , dragoflys comments about player are correct, if you want up to date info you have to pay for it.

btw 2 first picture of my new baby
Attachments
030.jpg
030.jpg (33.25 KiB) Viewed 1276 times
Last edited by mrpotatohead on Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby Keith » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:01 pm

The question is "can we" make the play offs, so quite obviously the answer is "yes, we can". "Will we" is much tougher to answer.

We need Jevons to start shooting the way he was before Christmas, with confidence. We need to start scoring and keeping clean sheets because of what we do rather than the ineptitude of the opposition, as was the case yesterday. For the first eight minutes, I thought we were going to run up a cricket score, but once we'd got the first goal, it was like a different team (and not a good one!) Occasionally some nice build up play but no-one willing to shoot. If you think back to the mauling of Bournemouth we were blasting shots in from outside the area, yet now we aren't even shooting when we are inside it. Let's return to that 'shoot on sight' style of a few months ago.

We can make the play offs, and playing teams above us means that we can take points off them, so it is almost still in our own hands.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Discussion