Playing for a contract

Playing for a contract

Postby seasonsinthesun » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:29 am

Just heard Sammy Mac on the radio saying that only one or two had been signed up for next season so far, and that the rest have to decide if they want to play for Morecambe and to show him in the remaining games that they are worthy of a deal. Any thoughts?
Coates Pearson Street Baldwin Bennett Sutton Done Roberts Kershaw Webber Richmond Galley - Shrimps '74 Legends
seasonsinthesun

Re: Playing for a contract

Postby steve mfc » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:14 pm

seasonsinthesun wrote:Just heard Sammy Mac on the radio saying that only one or two had been signed up for next season so far, and that the rest have to decide if they want to play for Morecambe and to show him in the remaining games that they are worthy of a deal. Any thoughts?

Fair enough i would say, the majority always seem to give a 100% but there are a few who look if they are capable of doing a bit more, we need players who will play to a consistently good standard not the good game bad game scenario that has plagued us this season.
steve mfc

Postby Posh » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:41 pm

steve mfc wrote:
seasonsinthesun wrote:Just heard Sammy Mac on the radio saying that only one or two had been signed up for next season so far, and that the rest have to decide if they want to play for Morecambe and to show him in the remaining games that they are worthy of a deal. Any thoughts?

Fair enough i would say, the majority always seem to give a 100% but there are a few who look if they are capable of doing a bit more, we need players who will play to a consistently good standard not the good game bad game scenario that has plagued us this season.

Maybe if we had some consistency on the pitch in terms of team selection and injuries too. Stanners, for example, featured in every game in our winning streak but now he can't get on the pitch. We were unlucky with injuries over Christmas but the side changes like the wind as Sammy's favourites change.

It is critical now that we make the right decisions about who to retain and who to bring in over the summer. The signings we've made over the last three summers have been mixed to say the least and the starts to the last two seasons poor. Take out August, Sept and Oct over the last 2 years and our form is well in the playoffs. Get it right this time and we've got every chance next season.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby marky » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:09 pm

I honestly do not get this fascination with Craig Stanley! Yes, he was a fixture throughout our good autumn run, but he was also a fixture throughout our poor winter run. The selective memories of some people when it comes to their favourite players is sometimes laughable. Given we've already signed Drummond and Hunter up, Stanley is one of the players I can defnitely see going this summer.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby Christies Child » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:45 pm

Posh has it spot on.

The inconsistency both ON and OFF the pitch have cost us dear for far too long.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:46 pm

:D
marky wrote:I honestly do not get this fascination with Craig Stanley! Yes, he was a fixture throughout our good autumn run, but he was also a fixture throughout our poor winter run. The selective memories of some people when it comes to their favourite players is sometimes laughable. Given we've already signed Drummond and Hunter up, Stanley is one of the players I can defnitely see going this summer.

He came on and changed midfield today and finished the game with a fine goal.

Quite simply Stanners is our best central midfielder and hopefully there should be some news about a contract extension soon :D :D
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby marky » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:34 pm

I'm sticking with what I said earlier. Neither of today's goal scorers would be on my list of players to keep, for differing reasons. Mullin due to his age and Stanley due to his inconsistency. I repeat, we've already got Hunter and Drummond next season and midfield is an area we need to improve if we are to move forward. Stanley has been a good player for us but it's time to go to the next level.
marky

Postby George Dawes » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:19 am

id retain every defender and midfielder we have for our squad next season apart from McLachlan & Panther

but up front we still need to get it right, we still need a pacy forward or two with a constant pressence

Mullin is a good battering ram, maybe worth keeping for his aerial ability as a impact sub

Taylor id let go

Curtis id keep in the squad

Jevons i wouldn't break the bank to keep him like i would Barry Roche who is a must!
George Dawes

Postby parceldave » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:57 am

DawZi wrote:id retain every defender and midfielder we have for our squad next season apart from McLachlan & Panther

but up front we still need to get it right, we still need a pacy forward or two with a constant pressence

Mullin is a good battering ram, maybe worth keeping for his aerial ability as a impact sub

Taylor id let go

Jevons i wouldn't break the bank to keep him like i would Barry Roche who is a must!

Sorry but since coming back from injury neither Panther or Jevons look anything like the players they were :o Our biggest problem for me is lack of pace and strength, we need some players with the same ability as the guy who scored that first goal last week. In the end it all comes down to money and who is available but i would like to see a midfielder and striker with the same qualities as Will Haining , and as you say Roachey a must. ;)
parceldave

Postby Christies Child » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:13 pm

DawZi wrote:id retain every defender and midfielder we have for our squad next season apart from McLachlan & Panther

Taylor id let go

Why?

A defence that is one of the worst in the league and would be the worst if it was not for Baz and a midfield that isn't that creative and doesn't provide any protection for the defence.

For me, a case of major surgery in both areas is needed.

We need younger and more hungry players throughout the squad.
Christies Child

Postby George Dawes » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:27 pm

personaly ive got faith with the players in our squad, i think we have good defenders and have missed Haining for a big part this season and our leader Jimbo at the back with his leadership skills

its how we defend as a team whats been the problem, and if we had dangerous pacy attackers playing upfront it might make teams think twice and stop teams pushing up against us
George Dawes

Postby marky » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:59 pm

DawZi wrote:personaly ive got faith with the players in our squad, i think we have good defenders and have missed Haining for a big part this season and our leader Jimbo at the back with his leadership skills

If we kept the same squad together we'd go backwards next season, of that I have no doubt. We need to find a younger (preferably quick) partner for Haining. Jim Bentley isn't getting any younger and I definitely foresee a bigger coaching role for him come August. We definitely need to strengthen in midfield and, at the risk of repeating myself for the umpteenth time, with Hunter and Drummond already signed up I can't see a future with us for either McLachlan or Stanley. If we can procure ourselves a pacy striker, I see no reason why we couldn't try Duffy in a free role behind said striker as the creative one which would leave a vacancy for a winger.
marky

Postby james456 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:06 pm

The defence I feel is not our weakest area. Parrish, Wilson and Haining have all stood out as being some of our best players this season - that's 3 out of our first choice back 4. We could possibly do with one more central defender with a bit of agility (along the lines of Chris Blackburn) but other than that, we have more than enough quality with Bentley there to step in when needed.

In midfield, I'd like to have Gary Hunter back in the middle doing what he does best. At the moment, we're playing with two wingers so you need a tough, hard working presence in the centre for that to work. Swap Panther for Hunter (or a new signing) and that leaves you with Drummond who can distribute and spread play out to the wingers.
james456

Postby George Dawes » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:09 pm

marky wrote:
DawZi wrote:personaly ive got faith with the players in our squad, i think we have good defenders and have missed Haining for a big part this season and our leader Jimbo at the back with his leadership skills

If we kept the same squad together we'd go backwards next season, of that I have no doubt. We need to find a younger (preferably quick) partner for Haining. Jim Bentley isn't getting any younger and I definitely foresee a bigger coaching role for him come August. We definitely need to strengthen in midfield and, at the risk of repeating myself for the umpteenth time, with Hunter and Drummond already signed up I can't see a future with us for either McLachlan or Stanley. If we can procure ourselves a pacy striker, I see no reason why we couldn't try Duffy in a free role behind said striker as the creative one which would leave a vacancy for a winger.

you could do that with Duffy ive said that on here before and then play Wainwright or Hunter on the right side

and talking about younger players and Jim Bentley we have a certain A Parrish who i think will end up center half and a once promising McStay who's no slow coach

then bring Moss in at right-back
George Dawes

Postby parceldave » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:19 pm

so thats

............Roache..........

Moss ..Haining..Parrish..Wilson
?......Hunter....Drummy..?
............?.......?..............

Subs. Stanley,Duffy,Jimbo,?.?.?

Maybe ;)
parceldave

Postby outsider » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:44 pm

parceldave wrote:so thats

............Roache..........

Moss ..Haining..Parrish..Wilson
?......Hunter....Drummy..?
............?.......?..............

Subs. Stanley,Duffy,Jimbo,?.?.?

Maybe ;)

Looks OK to me but 7 new faces I'm not sure the budget will streach that far so I would give Artell a bench spot, so we have 2 defenders as cover, Also keep Curtis aswell, so thats down to 5 new faces.
All posts posted under "Outsider" are my own personal views.

DILLIGAF

Viva la Revolution

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
outsider

Postby George Dawes » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:46 pm

go on cant resist dave :P

this is the team id build around next year

4 1 4 1 with plenty of cover in the squad, but still we need the missing piece in the jigsaw upfront

-----------Roche--------
-Moss Parrish Haining Wilson
----------Stanley--------
Duffy-Hunter-Craney-Hackney
-------------?-----------

Squad

GK = Davies
DF = McStay Bentley Artell
MD = ? Drummond Wainwright
ST = Curtis and ? ?
Last edited by George Dawes on Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George Dawes

Postby parceldave » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:04 pm

DawZi wrote:go on cant resist dave :P

4 1 4 1 with plenty of cover in the squad, but still we need the missing piece in the jigsaw upfront

-----------Roche--------
Duffy Hunter Craney Hackney
---------------?-----------

Squad

GK = Davies
ST = Curtis and ? ?

I,defo have your back 5 , dont know about Hackney was it his last game yesterday, need some muscle in midfield me thinks. Maybe we need to look further afield for a striker ,i.e eastern europe or Africa maybe . :roll: :?:
parceldave

Postby George Dawes » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:30 pm

i seen Hackney limping a bit down the tunnel with somebody(physio) when he came off
George Dawes

Postby Christies Child » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:04 pm

parceldave wrote:

-----------Roche--------

Squad

GK = Davies
ST = Curtis and ? ?

I,defo have your back 5 , dont know about Hackney was it his last game yesterday, need some muscle in midfield me thinks. Maybe we need to look further afield for a striker ,i.e eastern europe or Africa maybe . :roll: :?:

Sammy has said they will look at extending the loan.
Christies Child

Postby seasonsinthesun » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:16 pm

Christies Child wrote:
parceldave wrote:

-----------Roche--------

Squad

GK = Davies
ST = Curtis and ? ?

Sammy has said they will look at extending the loan.

Do you see Sammy on Sunday afternoons? You always seem to be quoting him.
Coates Pearson Street Baldwin Bennett Sutton Done Roberts Kershaw Webber Richmond Galley - Shrimps '74 Legends
seasonsinthesun

Postby mfcbro » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:08 am

Dont see why anybody wants to leave Jimbo out,just look at the stats since he came back,a lot less goals conceded and 4 clean sheets.I know he is coming to the end of his career but still good enough to maintain his place.Visitor star man at Hereford and i thought had a good game against Torquay 2 goalbound clearances,everyone goes on about Haining and i dont dispute he is a good player,but we were conceding too many goals.The stats dont lie!
mfcbro

Postby shrimper » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:42 pm

marky wrote:

I like Marc Pugh from Hereford (out of contract in June and originally from Bacup) and, depending on Luton not getting promoted, I'd offer them some decent money for Tom Craddock. I see Port Vale had a bid of about £50,000 last year but it only fell down on personal terms so I wonder if he has a 'League Club' clause.

Then another strong midfielder of the Paul Jones type at Rochdale (maybe someone dropping down a division who isn't getting any 'two-year' contract offers higher up) and we'd not be far off.

I'd be happy to keep Stanners and Manny in the squad (releasing Henry and Fraser to make way for incoming players) but I agree I don't think we'd be moving forward if we ONLY had the same midfield as we have now.

One or two loans as the season goes on if we need them because of injuries in key positions.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Christies Child » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:45 pm

Do you see Sammy on Sunday afternoons? You always seem to be quoting him.[/quote]

Yes...we meet on a regular basis to have a natter about things in general. He takes my opinions very seriously. :lol:

;) ;) ;)
Christies Child

Postby Bryan » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:12 pm

Good to hear Sammy say that. Players are contracted to play for the whole season. Trouble is Hunter's just signed on for two years yet doesn't feature anymore. Work that one out. If he's kept him that means he wants to wear the shirt - so why isn't he playing? Stanners did well when he came on - should start on Friday if Gary doesn't. But...you never know with McIlroy at the moment.

On loan guy only looks good for half an hour at most right now so we need plan B. Also Curtis deserves a slot with the way Jevons is moping around right now. Jevons is quality, but out of form.

This side needs some pace if we are to improve. Too slow up front and at the back. There is a core of players that are good however and with some tweaking and a bit of luck in the transfer market we should be ok. Roache is the big worry. Or replacing him that is if he moves on.
Bryan

Next

Return to General Discussion