First team's a 'closed shop' and that's a problem...

First team's a 'closed shop' and that's a problem...

Postby Bryan » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:42 pm

One defeat doesn't make a season. Still a lot of footie to go yet. 44 games to be precise. But the first half performance on Saturday wasn't good enough. Sammy says players were jaded. Excuse me? After two games and we're knackered! Ok so individuals might be a bit tired after the Forest game but if that's so why have we got a big squad?

Sorry but certain players are first name's on the teamsheet every game. And to be honest one or two aren't good enough at this level. Curtis was deserving of a start and O'Carrol also a chance to show us what he can do but no: They seem frozen out along with Drummie, Stanners and Yates. Add Twiss to that list too. And McStay? Really good player this lad. Should be a regular centre half in my opinion.

Of course Adams had his worst game for us on saturday (he was due one i suppose) but would sammy ever open the door at left back for anyone else if this dip continued?

Thought Rotherham were more up for it than us. Which is not good enough considering it was the first home game of the season. Yes there was plenty of effort there. But the desire to win games, well we just didn't show it.

We need more leaders on the pitch. At least someone who can organise out there. Not enough big personalities (especially in midfield) against Rotherham. A lack of pace and guille didin't help either.

4-4-2 with Wayne to start along with O'Carroll for Blinkhorn. Kiss Stanners and Drummie's bottom's and don't be shy of dropping out of form players.

Saturday was a 'Morecambe-lite' performance and we need more against some big physical sides at this level.
Bryan

Re: First team's a 'closed shop' and that's a problem...

Postby campdave » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:22 pm

Bryan wrote:
Sorry but certain players are first name's on the teamsheet every game.

Three matches into the season is far to early to be coming up with conclusions like that. The half time introduction of Curtis I think shows Sammy realised he made a mistake on Saturday, and I'll be surprised if he doesn't start on Saturday.
campdave

Postby shrimper » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:25 pm

Bryan wrote:Of course Adams had his worst game for us on saturday (he was due one i suppose) but would sammy ever open the door at left back for anyone else if this dip continued?

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/nationwide1/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=nonwire_soccer/08/08/18/manual_141305.html
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby admiral47 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:41 pm

I don’t want to be a negative Ned but I think the fact we are talking about Wayne as one of our better players is a concern. Whilst I think he is a grafter and a decent footballer and would start him against most of the new players, like so many in the side he has no pace. It does not matter how hard you work if you have not got the pace a lot of the time you will be second to the ball- loosing Tommo leaves us without anyone with blistering pace-sorry I forgot we have Danny Adams!!!
admiral47

Postby jamesh » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:05 pm

:lol:
jamesh

Postby Christies Child » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:44 pm

shrimper wrote:
Bryan wrote:Of course Adams had his worst game for us on saturday (he was due one i suppose) but would sammy ever open the door at left back for anyone else if this dip continued?

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/nationwide1/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=nonwire_soccer/08/08/18/manual_141305.html

:?: :?: :?:
;) ;) ;)
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby wijit » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:49 pm

I would disagree that pace, or lack of it has any real importance. First and foremost we need to consolidate our league posistion and safety. Wuth Wayne Curtis we will have a better chance of that becasue of his experience with us in so many different situations. I would personally try him more in a holding position when thinking of the pace. But I doubt that we will fare any better if we keep him back and inject faster players.
wijit

Return to General Discussion