Mark S WHAT THE....... ?

Mark S WHAT THE....... ?

Postby bill ding » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:32 pm

What happened Mark ?
During you're pre-match warm up music you played a record containing the "F" word numerous times
A bloke with his little son looked horrified and started coughing a lot until it finished .
Shortly after you played the tape with the little kid asking to refrain from swearing !.
Not only was it the wrong place to play it but it was a F*****G S**T record too :lol: :lol: :lol:

Is that better MR A ;)
Last edited by bill ding on Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Having sex is like playing bridge.......If you don't have a good partner, you'd better have a good hand !
bill ding

Re: Mark S WTF ?

Postby Christies Child » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:25 pm

bill ding wrote:What happened Mark ?
During you're pre-match warm up music you played a record containing the "F" word numerous times
A bloke with his little son looked horrified and started coughing a lot until it finished .
Shortly after you played the tape with the little kid asking to refrain from swearing !.
Not only was it the wrong place to play it but it was a F*****G S**T record too :lol: :lol: :lol:

[edited-Keith]
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Simples » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:41 pm

Yet it's acceptable to start a chat about swearing with an abbreviation of the F word?
Simples, innit?
Simples

Postby Aspers » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:42 pm

Anyone see what I did?. :lol:
Aspers

Postby bill ding » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:58 pm

Simples wrote:Yet it's acceptable to start a chat about swearing with an abbreviation of the F word?

There you go MR A Changed the title the best i could :oops:
Having sex is like playing bridge.......If you don't have a good partner, you'd better have a good hand !
bill ding

Re: Mark S WHAT THE....... ?

Postby mrpotatohead » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:02 pm

cannot imagine mark doing this on purpose, what song was it, i never noticed anything :?:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

wondered why Seasons in the Sun also today

Postby Arnside Red » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:15 pm

it's one of the the most requested tracks for old people at their funerals, (goodness knows why as it was, as originally written about a suicide) but I didnt think it very appropriate when it was the Help for Heroes day (unless requested by the soldiers) :?
Arnside Red

Re: wondered why Seasons in the Sun also today

Postby Keith » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:46 pm

mrpotatohead wrote:what song was it, i never noticed anything :?:

Arnside Red wrote:it's one of the the most requested tracks for old people at their funerals, (goodness knows why as it was, as originally written about a suicide) but I didnt think it very appropriate when it was the Help for Heroes day (unless requested by the soldiers) :?

mrpotatohead wrote:what song was it

Well, what the fe** was the song???
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby mrpotatohead » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:32 pm

throwing things in the dark, by steve middleton and the banshees :lol: :lol:
mrpotatohead

Postby Mark S » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:39 am

Let me just say immediately that I had no idea that a song was played with any swearing in it. What song was it? what time was it?

Sincere apologies if this happened as I have a very stringent censorship approach to the music. I have been doing the PA off and on for nearly 15 years and this has never happened before.

What I do object to is the inference that I may have done this on purpose for my own 'self indulgence'. I take that personally. You would be amazed how many records have swearing or sexual connotations in them, so while you are correct that it is not impossible, let me tell you, its not easy. My Son was there today. He is six. I would never intentionally play any music that had a swear word in it in front of him, never mind a family audience. The 'little kid' that is referred to asking people to respect one another and not swear is actually my nine year old son and my 13 year old daughter, and was recorded in my house. Keith will tell you the lengths I go to to keep this message board free of gratuitous swearing.

Apologies for anyone offended by music that was played with any offensive material in it. One slip in 15 years is still a 100% record lost. I am gutted about that. I would like to know which track it was though as it is in the computer system and needs taking out.

One other thing to mention is that Help for Heroes is a charity very close to my heart. Anyone that knows me knows that I wear a HFH band 24/7 and am very proud to have a nephew who has done two postings in Basra and a Brother In Law who was deployed to Afghanistan only last Wednesday. They are both in the regiment that was there today (The Duke of Lancaster Regiment, that was formerly the Queen's Lancashire Regiment), so there is no way I would play any record that would disrespect any of our brave servicemen and women that were there today. 'Seasons In The Sun' was a personal request that was made to me (for them to remember someone) that I intentionally didnt make a fuss of as it was personal to that person. I only played around a minute of it. I cant imagine many of the Forces personell there today were around when it was released in 1974. The only feedback I got from them was a thanks for the words that led to a standing ovation and for plugging the charity

No doubt there will be a complaint to the club. If I am asked to by the club, I will resign.
Mark S

Postby Andy » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:45 am

Mark, NO WAY should you resign, what you have done for MFC over the years does not warrant this.
ps when I attend the last game at CP could you play an extract from "Derek and Clive Live" ;)
Back on the spanners
Andy

Postby Aspers » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:54 am

Mark could you play for me Lie down baby let me stick it up stick it up!!.
The reason i ask is that when googling my friends national radio show in Oz, this was on the playlist :lol:
I once played detachable penis during a lesbian bike rally in Woollongong. "Tres popular" me thinks not.
I listen to your spinnings when I log on to Morecambe Player and have never found any of your discs to be inflammatory or overtly sexual.
If this was an oversight, ce la vie lets not do it again, however if this is part of the master plan, count me in and Fuck Off everyone else.

P.S. Please advise as to the pertaining master plan so I can really get involved.

BTW lie down baby let me stick it up is a reference to wall paper.
Wait until I tell you my 10 year olds comprehension of the Shaggy song it wasn't me.
Aspers

Postby mrpotatohead » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:20 am

If mark was asked to resign it would be the clubs loss, he does an outstanding job, without pay i believe, I do not know who bill ding is, but everyone knows CC , and i think mischief making is afoot here, chin up mark, get your tin hat on, and wait till the storm leaves the teacup, you have alot of respect from most MFC fans, dont let this ruin your sunday :roll:

your friend, Lee
mrpotatohead

Postby Keith » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:43 am

Mark S wrote:The 'little kid' that is referred to asking people to respect one another and not swear is actually my nine year old son and my 13 year old daughter, and was recorded in my house. Keith will tell you the lengths I go to to keep this message board free of gratuitous swearing.

Apologies for anyone offended by music that was played with any offensive material in it. One slip in 15 years is still a 100% record lost.

No doubt there will be a complaint to the club. If I am asked to by the club, I will resign.

First off, Mark was instrumental in changing the ethos of the message board to one that is swearing free. There was a debate about swearing, during which I was a protagonist for swearing to continue because it is a primarily 'adult' message board and that younger people who posted were already aware of swearing. Plus I used a few swear words myself. Mark, both in the public debate and in private felt very strongly that I was wrong, hence we are now almost entirely 'swear word free' and we both work hard to keep it that way. The comment that convinced me I was wrong has stayed with me, Mark said "I sometimes sit reading Shrimpsvoices with my son on my knee, I shouldn't have to read ahead to make sure you've not been swearing". That is how Mark responded to swearing in front of his children in print on a message board.

I'm sure that anyone who knows Mark or his family will immediately realise that this was a case of human error. Mark has apologised swiftly and publicly and I'm sure that the club will recognise that and accept the apology regardless of any formal complaints that may occur. I'm know that Mark will be genuinely very upset by this error.

I was very surprised to read this had happened and my immediate thought was that it was a song with 'two versions' an 'adult' one and a 'child friendly' one, and that Mark had inadvertently loaded up 'the wrong version', which is why I am interested to know which song?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby ockers » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:53 am

cant we just have this thread deleted Keith
carry on the discussion privately
I was there at 100pm yesterday as was Derek and didnt hear anything untoward at all all afternoon we would have been told as wer ewqick to be told when th emusic is too loud of rth stewards meetings
if a track has been played that was inappropriate then that has happened entirely by mistake
I know Mark hasnt made a mistake and i dont see any reason to try and justify himself either and im sure man y people would agree
this matter should have been taken up as a pm
ockers

Postby Christies Child » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:54 am

Mark
The track that was offensive was the last one before you did your usual introduction, welcoming the fans etc of Grimsby.

It appears that my reference to 'self indulgance' offends you and for that please accept my apology. It was not intended to do that in any way. I would like to think you know me better than that.

As others have said you do an excellent job which other stadium announcers could learn from.

Once again my apology.

Neil
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby mrpotatohead » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:59 am

Thats it settled then Neil

Its fine to stab people in the back as long as you say sorry when you remove the knife :?:
mrpotatohead

Postby Keith » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:09 am

Christies Child wrote:It appears that my reference to 'self indulgance' offends you and for that please accept my apology. It was not intended to do that in any way. I would like to think you know me better than that.

As others have said you do an excellent job which other stadium announcers could learn from.

Once again my apology.

Neil

If you wrote something that required that you apologise, then why did I use the 'edit' feature rather than editing your own post to remove the 'offensive' comment? I would have thought that you knew Mark better than to have posted that in the first place?

Sean, the problem with 'censoring' threads that are critical of the club is that it also stops the chance for feeding back from the club or its representatives. In this instance, it sounds like a track did slip through, because more than one person have said so, however, I think that the apology from Mark should be the end of the matter, apart from identifying the track. This could be done via the PM system, so I will now lock the thread. If anyone feels there is something else 'important' to add, then feel free to start a new thread and we'll see how that one goes.

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Keith » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:18 am

After talking with Mark, he would not want anyone to feel they have not had an opportunity to comment and that it was only locked because he is a fellow moderator. Therefore, at his request, I've unlocked the thread so that it can run its course.

Keith
Site Admin

Postby ezz » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:25 am

It's quite clear Mark would have never played something which contains offensive language on purpose, i've been going to CP for over 14years and have never heard any inappropiate songs. I hope the club and those who heard the song realise it was an obvious mistake which in my opinion your entitled to when you have been doing such a great job for such a long time.

Hope this is all resolved and you can continue to do a great job Mark.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby seasonsinthesun » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:07 pm

I would like to add a personal thank you to you Mark S for not only being the BEST match day announcer in the UK, but also playing my "theme tune" from Terry Jacks aka 1974.
That brought a smile to my face, and also if you listen to the words, they sort of have a certain poignancy with leaving Christie Park "we had joy, we had fun, we had (football) seasons in the sun."
Also, a strong connection with our past in that this song was at number 1 in the charts on the day we beat Dartford at Wembley. Oh happy days! :D :D
Coates Pearson Street Baldwin Bennett Sutton Done Roberts Kershaw Webber Richmond Galley - Shrimps '74 Legends
seasonsinthesun

Postby ockers » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:38 pm

Keith wrote:
Christies Child wrote:It appears that my reference to 'self indulgance' offends you and for that please accept my apology. It was not intended to do that in any way. I would like to think you know me better than that.

Once again my apology.

Neil

If you wrote something that required that you apologise, then why did I use the 'edit' feature rather than editing your own post to remove the 'offensive' comment? I would have thought that you knew Mark better than to have posted that in the first place?

Sean, the problem with 'censoring' threads that are critical of the club is that it also stops the chance for feeding back from the club or its representatives. In this instance, it sounds like a track did slip through, because more than one person have said so, however, I think that the apology from Mark should be the end of the matter, apart from identifying the track. This could be done via the PM system, so I will now lock the thread. If anyone feels there is something else 'important' to add, then feel free to start a new thread and we'll see how that one goes.

this wasnt aimed at the club keith
it was aimed at Mark directly if you read the original post
hence my reply
ockers

Postby morecambe mick » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:36 pm

I didn't hear this track that has offended people, but had I been in the same stand and heard something like that, then I would have got off my arse and gone over to Mark and pointed out that there may be something inappropiate, rather than wait until returning on here.

Sorry, just my opinion. I am 100% sure that any bad language had gone unnoticed by Mark.
I have noticed however that The Bay play the Lily Allen song Smile that has swearing in it, rather than the radio mix without.
morecambe mick

Postby mrpotatohead » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:51 pm

The author of this post has sent me a message, stressing his post was done, tongue in cheek, he rates mark very highly as an announcer, and i think he probably regrets posting it now, at least mark will get to see how highly thought of on here by most of us, 30 years ago, a local dj that i know played me a sex pistols song on hospital radio whilst i was a patient, he played the entire record at 33rpm instead of 45rpm, nobody noticed but me, any guesses who the dj was :?: :lol: :lol:
mrpotatohead

Postby Castaway » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:31 pm

What a stupid thread!

CC - 'self indulgance'
Oh please, seriously.

Mark, genuine mistake quite obviously so ignore this thread and keep up the good work.
Castaway

Next

Return to General Discussion