Morecambe 1 Grimsby 1 Mullen f/t

Morecambe 1 Grimsby 1 Mullen f/t

Postby Keith » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:02 pm

Come on lads!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Re: Morecambe 1 Grimsby 0 Mullen

Postby Keith » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:44 pm

Sounds like we are well on top, although Grimsby have had a few chances. Mullen put us ahead from a Hackney cross.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Re: Morecambe 1 Grimsby 1 Mullen

Postby Keith » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:22 pm

"a gift" for Grimsby, unmarked from 6 yards out. We've "switched off" after failing to put our chances away again.

Keith
Site Admin

Re: Morecambe 1 Grimsby 1 Mullen f/t

Postby Keith » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:57 pm

"a game of two halfs" Great first half, dire second. Lucky not to lose in the end to the team second from bottom.

Keith
Site Admin

Postby darrenlock » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:59 pm

Come on sammy wtf how can we improve drawing games to Grimsby
darrenlock

Postby Keith » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:05 pm

Sean suggested that "it's been a long time since we've had 45 minutes as bad as this"... well, apart from the two 45 minutes at Cheltenham?

Did we really bring Stanley on with under three minutes left? Isn't that the kind of thing you do when you are winning a game and want to waste a few moment?

"a quite dreadful second half" says Quinny, "[Morecambe's] play off dreams are slowly fading away"...

Keith
Site Admin

Postby darrenlock » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:08 pm

Slowly fading it has gone poor away record unless Morecambe start winning away from home but playing teams in relegation zone and drawing come on.
Look at Accrington 1-0 down down to ten men and still win 2-1 at Barnet.
Something is wrong drawing stupids games like this .
darrenlock

Postby shrimpnsave » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:15 pm

sack sammy then :!:
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby alwaysright » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:25 pm

Absolute dire second half performance, out fought and at times out played, shocking display by the mid field why the manager left Panther on till the 87th min was beyond me and a lot more people, i think Sammy needs to sit in the stand so he can see whats going on on the pitch.
alwaysright

Postby thegentlegiant » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:57 pm

well great first half, should of been well ahead, not so good 2nd half, I got the result right 1-1...I do think we will now kick on and start winning again!! 8-)
thegentlegiant

Postby mrpotatohead » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:06 pm

Game should have been over at half time, another failed attempt to get rid of stanners :?:

The present squad would be playing themselves out of their jobs if they went up anyway, our season is over bar the last game party :roll:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:11 pm

Keith wrote:Sean suggested that "it's been a long time since we've had 45 minutes as bad as this"... well, apart from the two 45 minutes at Cheltenham?

Did we really bring Stanley on with under three minutes left? Isn't that the kind of thing you do when you are winning a game and want to waste a few moment?

"a quite dreadful second half" says Quinny, "[Morecambe's] play off dreams are slowly fading away"...

At least Sammy will have learned that Stanley has to be in the starting line-up.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby mrpotatohead » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:23 pm

will he :?:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby heysham_mfc » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:27 pm

As soon as Grisby scored it was a different game 2 points dropped today
heysham_mfc

Postby ockers » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:35 pm

Keith wrote:Sean suggested that "it's been a long time since we've had 45 minutes as bad as this"... well, apart from the two 45 minutes at Cheltenham?

i wasnt at cheltenham heard it was dreadful
the second half performance today confirmed that we just arent good enoug to make the playoffs
lets hope though we can pick up as many points as we can and hopefully finish in the top half of the table
ockers

Postby shrimpnsave » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:48 pm

ockers wrote:

i wasnt at cheltenham heard it was dreadful
the second half performance today confirmed that we just arent good enoug to make the playoffs
lets hope though we can pick up as many points as we can and hopefully finish in the top half of the table

or l1 imo, as ive said before and got slagged off for my comment..............
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby alwaysright » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:22 pm

And to think this is the best squad of players we have ever had ??????
alwaysright

Postby Keith » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:31 pm

alwaysright wrote:And to think this is the best squad of players we have ever had ??????

Well, yes it is. Before kick off I looked at the line up and thought that is a good team, especially taking in to account the available bench. We've definitely got our best ever goal keeper, Lawrence Wilson could be a league above, Haining would walk in to most League Two sides, Jevons was stunning before his injury. There is quality through-out the side, so yes, I think it is the best squad ever, however, we aren't a consistent side.

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Keith » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:56 pm

alwaysright wrote:And to think this is the best squad of players we have ever had ??????

I'd also point out, we're despondent because we drew with Grimsby, a team that were in the second tier of English football as recently as 2003. So while we were playing Forest Green Rovers, Leigh RMI, Margate and Southport, they were playing Burnley, Wolves and Portsmouth... and even Bradford!

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Burnley Shrimp » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:07 am

To me Jevo still looks well off the pace, as if he's carying an injury or not match fit. Worrying really because he's had enough games back since injury and should now be fully up to speed. Unfortunately the only other option is currently Waynaldo and as great as he's been for us over the years in my opinion he isn't really league two class. Mullin had a very solid game and battled away with once again little support from the ref. He scored one and with a little bit of luck could have got another at least. A real prescence.

I thought Hackney had an excellent game until he tired late on probably due to the fact he's not played a full game in months. He is a player who despite his diminutive size looks league two class at least.

Duffy got man of the match to some jeers from where I was stood. (some folk really don't like him do they)? Personally i think he's benefitted enormously from an extended run in the team and is now looking quite useful. I've heard all the arguments that he doesn't do it away from home but he performed at Bury and is hopefully still improving.

It's been mentioned that Roche pulled off a world class save in front of the North Stand early in the game and I've got to agree totally. He was moving to his right when the ball was deflected low down to his left heading for the bottom corner of the goal. To do what he did and change direction in an instant to get his left hand to the ball was sensational. I once saw Joe Corrigan do something very similar for Man City in front of the Gelderd End at Leeds and thought it was the best save I'd ever seen. Rocheys' was on a par with that.

Are we good enough to get in the play offs? On paper yes but nothing was ever won on paper and unfortunately a team bound for the play offs would definitely have won that game yesterday, so no, not this season unfortunately.
Burnley Shrimp

Postby paulshrimp » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:35 am

Sorry, cannot agree about Mullin. He is very slow and appears to be trying hard without getting anywhere. Took his chance well but should have scored two. Something is wrong when we end up holding on against a team who will probably be relegated. Hackney looks a useful player. Drummond and Wilson good, Panther totally out of sorts.
paulshrimp

Postby Keith » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:00 am

paulshrimp wrote:Sorry, cannot agree about Mullin. He is very slow and appears to be trying hard without getting anywhere. Took his chance well but should have scored two. Something is wrong when we end up holding on against a team who will probably be relegated. Hackney looks a useful player. Drummond and Wilson good, Panther totally out of sorts.

I generally try to avoid criticising players, but I'm also unconvinced about Mullin. He either has it on his head or nothing at all. At Bury he missed a golden chance because he failed to connect with the ball properly so it bobbled to the keeper and at Cheltenham he was one on one with the keeper and sliced the ball closer to the corner flag than the goal. That was after about five minutes and could have totally changed the game. Yesterday he apparently had a few golden chances that he missed.

I'd like to see Curtis start alongside Jevons, while Jevons is 'fresh', then Mullin can be brought on later, alongside either Curtis or Jevons, depending upon which style we want to use. Sadly, I think Paul's best days are behind him.

Keith
Site Admin

Postby marky » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:12 am

We knew what we were getting when we signed Mullin i.e. a target man for Jevons to work off who would probably miss many more than he scores. Given his age, I would be very disappointed if he was offered a contract at the end of the season.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby Matty the Shrimp » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:29 pm

How can anyone say bad things about Mullin? Right firstly, lets get this sorted. Mullin wasn't brought here to be the 20+ goals a season man, he was brought here to hold up the ball, win in the air and make a general nosence of himself, he has done this brilliantly. Ok we know he can't shoot, but yesterday his volley in the second half was on its way but it got blocked...
Bring me sunshine...
Matty the Shrimp

Mullen

Postby Arnside Red » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:59 pm

cant see this holding up the ball thing re Mullen, he doesnt and is always hussled off the ball, (to play that tactic at home to a side as poor as Grimsby begs other questions also), he is always rooted to the ground, he doesnt jump to win headers, he misses a lot of chances, he almost seemed frightened to shoot at times yesterday when he had chances, looking for Jevons or others to pass to, he is a tall lad and although not as bulky as say Wayne or JB shouldnt let himself get pushed around as he does, I really hope he is not offered a new contract, he is I am afraid not an effective front player at all, we need someone who can score goals as well as win headers, Twissy used to miss more than his fair share of goals but at least he scored shed loads, i used to think if Twissy scored more of the golden chances he got he could be a 50 goal a season stiker, he was a far more effective striker than Mullen and weve let him go
Arnside Red

Next

Return to General Discussion