Building for the future

Building for the future

Postby P/T Indie » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:28 am

This summer sure is going to be intresting I think there will be a few other fans favourites been released in the summer when their contracts are up especially as these players are also the bigger earners.

This means that Sammy could be building a new team in the summer with the core of the squad changing with the more reliable old guard going. For me this will be Sammy’s biggest test if he is going to move the old guard on then the players he brings in and the team he builds has to be good enough to push on further. By that I mean making a realistic challenge for the playoffs and been one of the top 7 teams in the league consistently.
I mean could you imagine if Sammy makes radical changes to the squad the fans favourites leave and we finish lower than we have in previous years.
With our current squad I think we are more than capable to finish around 10th every season and with a bit of a luck and an amazing run we can challenge for the playoffs but I don’t think we have the consistency to challenge the top 7 week in week out. Which we don’t as just when we get close to breaking into the top 7 we seem to drop points and drop back in the race.

Now for me 10th every season for the next few seasons would be great and leaving us with a chance of a late run to the playoffs every year to keep it intresting you wouldn’t see me complaining. I thought it would take a couple of years in the new stadium to get the income before we can start thinking of building a team been able to constantly push for promotion.
However maybe Sammy and the club have other ideas. He could have played safe and kept Twiss etc and kept the fans happy but is this a sign that we are going to start building for the future already and start looking to make that next push.

Sammy is going to have to make some tough decisions in the coming months and it’s going to be exciting to see who comes in the summer and what team he can build as this should really tell us what ambitions we have to move forward.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Re: Building for the future

Postby paulshrimp » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:25 am

Good article. I would not bet against us having a hat trick of 11th place finishes this season. We have dropped silly points against teams we should have beaten, starting with Hereford on the first day of the season and I think we have left our selves too much to do in the run in. When, rather than if, Sammy improves his squad which should start with making our loanees permanent signings, we should be capable of at least a top seven place next season.
paulshrimp

Postby Blackpool Shrimp » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:50 am

Jevons needs to be signed on two year deal in my opinion anyone who is capable of 20 goals a season is worth there weight in gold
Blackpool Shrimp

Postby Christies Child » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:00 pm

Fgh shrimp wrote:Jevons needs to be signed on two year deal in my opinion anyone who is capable of 20 goals a season is worth there weight in gold

Just worries me that his form has alerted other clubs who may be able to offer more in salary than us.

However I'd like to think that PJ is more than interested in just money. Sammy and Mark gave him a new lease of life which money can't buy. Maybe PJ is one of that all too rare breed where loyalty counts.

We'd all love to see PJ strutting his stuff at the Arena. :) :) :)

Just need somebody like Steve Jones to supply some of the ammunition...... :?: :?: :?:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Blackpool Shrimp » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:12 pm

Pj as said a few times on radio lancs that he is happy here and maybe the brand new ground could be extra incentive for him to stay
Blackpool Shrimp

Postby George Dawes » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:12 pm

if you look at the squad situation

Goalkeepers = good we have two

Defence = good 7 players for 4 positions

Central Midfield = we have to many Hunter Stanley Drummond Panther Craney and Fraser 6 for 2 positions, thats if you play with wingers(we have been latey)

Wingers = we only have 2 Wainwright Duffy

Strikers = we still have 4 but we need to sign Jevons asap!

so my reckoning is we need to sort the balance in midfield and add a winger or two in the summer
George Dawes

Postby shrimper » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:23 pm

I think we need to tie up Barry on a new contract as a priority.
At the same time work on Jevons and, if he's intimating that he'd like to stay, Manny.
A speedy left winger would be nice.
We need another striker (two if we can't secure Jevons).
Mullin has done a good job and has been a great short-term signing but if we are to improve then I'd like someone up front with a bit more pace.
Then I'd like another midfielder. Craney if he returns absolutely 100% from his recent injury - if not then someone in that style who can get past people from midfield and contribute a few goals.

Do all that and I think we can have a real go.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Christies Child » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:34 pm

shrimper wrote:I think we need to tie up Barry on a new contract as a priority.
At the same time work on Jevons and, if he's intimating that he'd like to stay, Manny.
A speedy left winger would be nice.
We need another striker (two if we can't secure Jevons).
Mullin has done a good job and has been a great short-term signing but if we are to improve then I'd like someone up front with a bit more pace.
Then I'd like another midfielder. Craney if he returns absolutely 100% from his recent injury - if not then someone in that style who can get past people from midfield and contribute a few goals.

Do all that and I think we can have a real go.

Interestingly nobody seems to regard defence as being an area of concern. And yet if we look at the goals conceeded then it's an area that needs urgent surgery OR is it that we need a more defensive midfielder to stop those opposition runs that we are all too aware of?
Christies Child

Postby Harry » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:37 pm

IMO the back 4 are generally solid but we need more of a 'bruiser' presence in midfield to close people down more and trim a few off our 'goals conceded' figure, like Burton's first a couple of weeks ago.
Harry

Postby Blackpool Shrimp » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:47 pm

Don't we have fraser or manny to do that job in front of back four ???
Blackpool Shrimp

Postby Posh » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:11 pm

DawZi wrote:if you look at the squad situation ... my reckoning is we need to sort the balance in midfield and add a winger or two in the summer

Sadly what you've posted is utterly meaningless, for the following reasons:

DawZi wrote:Goalkeepers = good we have two

No we have none, as both are out of contract and neither have signed a new deal. Getting Barry's signature would be the best news we could possibly have but I'm very doubtful it will happen. Scott clearly doesn't have the manager's full confidence or we wouldn't get loan players in when Barry has been injured.

DawZi wrote:Defence = good 7 players for 4 positions

Bents, Will, Loz Wilson and Darren Moss are the only defenders definitely at Morecambe next season as it stands. Danny has left. I'd expect Henry McStay to leave; Andy Parrish to get offered a new contract; and its very up in the air for Dave Artell, although a one year as cover is possible. If Rory Winters could be that cover though it may change.

DawZi wrote:Central Midfield = we have to many Hunter Stanley Drummond Panther Craney and Fraser 6 for 2 positions, thats if you play with wingers(we have been latey)

Only two of those are on contract for next season - Drummy and Garry Hunter. I'd sign Stanners again if only for his workrate but its clearly there is no love lost between Sammy and Stanners - could this be the final curtain? Fraser is likely to go but Sammy wants a defensive midfielder so he could get offered a year. I'd sign Manny Panther as I think he's got a lot more to show. Ian Craney is a very good footballer but lacks pace and stamina. He would need to prove beyond doubt that he's got the pace and staying power or its thanks and goodbye.

DawZi wrote:Wingers = we only have 2 Wainwright Duffy

Again we only have Mark Duffy. I think Wainers has had a very bad deal this season after a brilliant second half of the season. For me he's a superb player right or left and needs to be retained. However the loan to Barrow and the lack of appearances this season means Sammy might have other plans. It would be a shame, as I know he wants to stay.

DawZi wrote:Strikers = we still have 4 but we need to sign Jevons asap!

Again we've got none. Everyone wants Phil Jevons but does he want us enough and how influential is his agent - we'll soon find out. I've said that I don't think either Paul Mullin or Aaron Taylor should be retained next season. Paul Mullin is a good player but his wage is very high at Accy and for the deal we may get I think we could find better. Aaron hasn't shown enough pace, determination, skill around the box, passing or ability to hold the ball up to be good enough to keep. There is no doubt he's great in the box and is a natural goalbagger but it isn't enough. As for Wayne, its in the hands of the manager. Another year on the bench is most likely - Wayne though may want more.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby George Dawes » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:22 pm

if you put it like that fair enough

but! we do have the players on board to go for it next season it's just a case of making one or two changes

now if there's going to be many changes(players leaving etc) i expect another bad start to next season with people coming on here after bad results giving it ahh well there all new(players) it's going to take time for em to settle in, and if and when they settle in it will be to late and we will be chasing the play-off pack and yet again probably miss out
George Dawes

Postby shrimper » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:33 pm

Roche

Parrish Haining Bentley Wilson

Hunter(or new midfielder) Drummy(or new midfielder) Panther Duffy (ornew winger)

Jevons new striker

Unless we can bring in - and Sammy can identify them - two or three midfielders significantly better than what we have now, then I think we only need one more attacking midfielder, a winger with pace and a striker.

That's only three new players - all depends IF we can secure the ones we want to keep from the current lot.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby P/T Indie » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:40 pm

“No we have none, as both are out of contract and neither have signed a new deal. Getting Barry's signature would be the best news we could possibly have but I'm very doubtful it will happen.”

Really that’s very worrying.

I would give Dave another year but it would depend if he is happy been cover. I wonder what the managers plans are for Moss he is second choice behind Parish & Wilson and if he is on a bigish wage do we try and offload him?

I’d give Stanley a contract but sadly I think he will be the next fans favourite to leave. If there is a chance of keeping Manny I would let Fraser go. For me Craney is to injury prone and would be a bit of a gamble and I wasn’t completely convinced when he was fit and playing.

Wainwright seems to be a bit lightweight and injury prone and I think he would be another one that would have to settlefor a place on the bench as we know Sammy was after a new winger. I am not sure if he would be happy with been backup especially as he can still do a good job for someone maybe even a return to Darlo.

I think Wayne will be wanting to play regular football and can see him going to Barrow in the summer. Mullin is on to bigger wage for what he offers ad we need a young big lad upfront with Jevons. Then we need some cover so we will have to bring in at least two strikers.
Either way I think we are going to have to bring in a lot of new players this summer.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby Christies Child » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:42 pm

How many times have we read or been witness to calls for 'a complete clear out' over the years?

Seems to me as though by default that could in fact come true this close season.

Of the players out of contract we need the following to put pen to paper bloody quickly.

Baz; Parrish; Winters

Am undecided about Wayno and NeilW. If we could bring in somebody like Steve Jones then possibly not.

Of the current loanees: PJ obviously; Panther and Craney who I believe has not had an intensive course of treatment on his long term injury until he came to us and who when fit, is more than capable of filling the boots of Stanners.

Mullin wants to stay and the way that Sammy praises his contribution suggests that a contract may be offered.

Other than those mentioned I'd let the rest go.
Christies Child

Postby Little Shrimp » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:39 pm

I think we should:
Get rid of Taylor
sign Jevons
Keep Roche
Get a quick left winger
Maybe Panther or Craney I don't know. The thing with them is that they're more diamond midfield players and we play a flat four.
Little Shrimp

Postby Peperami no. 1 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:06 pm

Agree with Shrimper & Co that priority has to be signing Barry Roche and a pacy left winger.

IMO, Barry is the best keeper we have ever had. Sure some will class Lewis in that category and you could also say Loach but he did not play enough games during his brief loan spell.
Peperami no. 1

Postby Christies Minder » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:29 pm

This is where, as a fan, you love to imagine yourself as the manager, and you know what you would do.

Below is mine given the squad as it is and the way I would go:

SQUAD RETENTION.JPG
SQUAD RETENTION.JPG (49.05 KiB) Viewed 1255 times

I think we could have a strong basis for a squad if we could sign Jevons and one of either Panther/Craney.

I think we will see the exit of:

a) Stanley - a favourite but I just think there's been too much in the past between him and Sammy.
b) Taylor - had a few opportunites to prove himself, but I don't believ he's taken them, otherwise we'd have seen more of him (current injury period aside).
c) McStay - played well for the club in the past, but he's slipped down the pecking order and, as such, hasn't been able to stand out.

I think that Wainwright, Duffy and McLachlan will all be happy to stay with the club as squad players. However, that depends upon them being offered new deals.

Curtis and Artell, I'm not so sure about. We may see Curtis head 'back home' or wherever in search of regular football, of which he is definitely capable. Artell, on the other hand is just unfortunate that he has an excellent defender (Haining) and the club captain ahead of him. So I guess it's going to probably be his decision as to whether he stays, as I would have though Sammy would give him another year.

With those changes (and new contracts offered and secured), I would think that the areas we need to purchase are similar to those of Shrimper's. We need two new midfielders; definitely a left wing and, in my opinion, a more experienced right wing.

The only other position is that we'd probably need more cover up front. So I think he will either bring in another Striker to go into the team ahead of Mullin (possibly as a loanee this season) or a younger player to be brought through gradually.

It's going to be a really exciting time ahead for us as a club with some big changes both on the pitch and with the new Stadium etc off it too!
Christies Minder

Postby George Dawes » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:50 pm

Christies Minder for MFC Manager :P

id go with that apart from id keep Stanley over Fraser
George Dawes

Postby Christies Child » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:56 pm

[b]
DawZi wrote:Christies Minder for MFC Manager :P [/b]

id go with that apart from id keep Stanley over Fraser

You can't be serious.... :o :o :o ;) ;) ;)

No mention of improving the defence...... :shock: :shock: :shock: ;) ;) ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Christies Child on Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christies Child

Postby Little Shrimp » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:01 pm

I agree with Dawzi. However, I think there should be a few a little changes:
Roche
Parrish Bentley Haining Wilson (defence and goalkeeper are the same)
Duffy Drummond Stanley New winger (I think Duffy and Stanley should stay in the side)
Mullin Jevons (If we can sign Jevons)
Little Shrimp

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:03 pm

Each time Sammy has left Stanners out he has been forced to bring him back and results have improved when he was recalled. Sammy recently called Stanners and Drummy the "engine room" of the team in central midfield. Sammy also praised his deadball kicks from corners and free-kicks. Hopefully a new contract will ensue.

Ideal midfield IMHO Manny Panther(the enforcer to protect the back 4) , Stanners and Drummy in central midfield and Duffy/new pacy winger.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby shrimper » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:09 pm

Christie's Minder

That side would get over-run in central midfield IMO.

I don't like 4-4-2s with two out and out wingers for that reason.

One winger is enough - or two wingbacks in a 5-3-2.
shrimper

Postby marky » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:13 pm

Hmmm, I honestly believe that people are being a little blinkered if they don't believe we need to bring in a new central partner for Haining. Jim Bentley is a club legend, of that there is no doubt, but I see him performing more of a player-coach role next season and only starting when injuries and suspensions necessitate it. Indeed, my 3 priority areas next season would be the left side of midfield, central defence and 2 strikers.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby heysham_mfc » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:53 pm

marky wrote:Hmmm, I honestly believe that people are being a little blinkered if they don't believe we need to bring in a new central partner for Haining. Jim Bentley is a club legend, of that there is no doubt, but I see him performing more of a player-coach role next season and only starting when injuries and suspensions necessitate it. Indeed, my 3 priority areas next season would be the left side of midfield, central defence and 2 strikers.

Gree think Jim is now looking towards doing coaching now
heysham_mfc

Return to General Discussion