Twissy

Re: Twissy

Postby Barry Poo » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:41 am

:cry: absolutely gutted. I’ve never been as excited for a player to join Morecambe as I was when he signed and he certainly didn’t disappoint. He’s scored some absolute crackers over the years. My favourite player by a stretch. If I think what could have been without injuries etc :cry:

A true Morecambe Legend
Barry Poo

Postby Weetabix Kid » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:24 am

:?: :?: So then is this for real :?: :?:
Weetabix Kid

Postby Joel Ninety » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:33 pm

Absolute joke. Twissy should be given the freedom of Morecambe, not the long walk.

And to darrenlock: Reduce the dosage, you're getting delusions. Aaron Taylor is the slowest, most awkward football player I've ever seen. He's not going to score or set up the goals to take us up to League One. That's what Michael Twiss was capable of when playing to his strengths, in his true position.
Joel Ninety

Postby George Dawes » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:40 pm

:(

i do maintenance work from time to time going back for a few years at cheadle royal children's hospital manchester and met and know his mother & father who work there

they recognized my accent when i first worked there, and i said am from morecambe they said oh realy our son play for morecambe, and i was like know way he's my favorite player

am sad to see him go he was worth a place in there squad he can play in midfield or upfront :?
George Dawes

Postby Muzzer » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:49 pm

Worst decision ever made!!
Twiss was a true Gent and was loyal to the club for so long and always played his best. To treat him like this is shocking to say the least. He may not be starting games but he's a great man to bring on and make an impact on the team with his experience. Good luck Twiss, thanks for the loyalty, sorry we couldnt give it back.
I can win a game of connect four in three moves ;)
Muzzer

Postby darrenlock » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:03 pm

Nothing has been said about Twissy leaving.In my opinion if he does go has 2 be at the end of the season.
darrenlock

Postby marky No.1 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:07 pm

If true many will be disappointed at the loss of Twissy and I for one thank him for his greatness over the years and wish him the best of luck. I still have his shirt on my office wall from the promotion year :D .However as we all know Football is a business and there can be no room for sentiment I'm afraid.
With everything going on around the Club at the moment, the new Stadium, the number of players we have, the wage bill, the number out of contract in the summer and the "age" of the squad, it does'nt surprise me that we are having a "clear out".

Should'nt think it is a surprise to the lads themselves either which is maybe why some are leaving early :roll:
Last edited by marky No.1 on Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby ezz » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:08 pm

If he's one of the highest earners, and we're supposedly making room for someone else, how does paying their contracts up change anything? We still pay out the same amount of money but it just 'looks' like we're paying less because those players we have already paid for the rest of the season arn't there. Seems pretty stupid, especially when Twiss is one of the more gifted players and should have had more chances with Jevons.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Christies Child » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:15 pm

ezz wrote:If he's one of the highest earners, and we're supposedly making room for someone else, how does paying their contracts up change anything? We still pay out the same amount of money but it just 'looks' like we're paying less because those players we have already paid for the rest of the season arn't there. Seems pretty stupid, especially when Twiss is one of the more gifted players and should have had more chances with Jevons.

This assumes that we have paid up their contracts in full.

Maybe a satisfactory settlement for all parties.. :?: :?: :?:

It gives the player(s) time to sort a new contract before the close seasons 'free for all'
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby George Dawes » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:34 pm

just thinking now, for all we know SM may have some ace card(player/players) up his sleeve. in the summer

you never know he may surprise a few people(me included) :shock:
George Dawes

Postby Blackpool Shrimp » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:44 pm

Hopefully sign panther,craney and jevons on two year contracts for starters
Blackpool Shrimp

Postby Christies Child » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:46 pm

Fgh shrimp wrote:Hopefully sign panther,craney and jevons on two year contracts for starters

Yes please!
Christies Child

Postby shrimper » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:48 pm

It's obvious the club is negotiating with at least some players (possibly all of them) about their contracts right now.

They'll want to offer new ones to certain players they think are definitely part of the plans for next season.

They'll want to tie up others who are currently on loan and that will add to the salary budget (so, for example, signing Jevons on a contract might mean we have to release a particular player anyway).

They'll be telling others that they are definitely not part of Sammy's plans for next season.

Others will be in a kind of 'maybe' situation depending on who we can get in (and they'll have to decide if they're happy to stay in those circumstances).

I don't know what Twissy's situation is - other than this thread I'd heard nothing.

He's been one of my favourite Morecambe players and IF it's true then I'd be sad to see him go.

But as I said elsewhere, players WILL have to move on if we're to bring new ones in and we MUST bring new ones in if we're to have any chance of being better than we are now.

There's not much point bringing new players in to sit on the bench (unless it's a youngster we want to bring through gradually) so Sammy will want the new players to go into the first team and that will push some current first-teamers onto the bench.

So quite a few of those who currently usually occupy the bench would be relegated even further down the pecking order.

I think a few in that position will be told "if it looks like you're not even going to be on the bench for most games then we can't afford to pay you anywhere near as much as you're on now - IF you want to stay".

In those circumstances most players will want to try to find another club.

If we release them then they become free agents and can sign for another club outside the transfer windows.

As I say, not sure if any of this applies to Twissy but it IS the kind of thing that will be going on from now until the end of the season.

Of course, whether you agree with Sammy's choice of 'keeps' and 'releases' is a personal opinion that can only really be settled when we see who comes in.

Even then, it's always going to be a gamble - some work out and some don't.

But we do need to change things if we want to improve, that's a matter of fact.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Blackpool Shrimp » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:14 pm

Paul mullin also needs to play a certain amount of games this season to get a contract extension according to radio lancs on tuesday night but he said he wants to stay
Blackpool Shrimp

Postby Christies Child » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:17 pm

Barry Poo wrote::cry: absolutely gutted. I’ve never been as excited for a player to join Morecambe as I was when he signed and he certainly didn’t disappoint. He’s scored some absolute crackers over the years. My favourite player by a stretch. If I think what could have been without injuries etc :cry:

A true Morecambe Legend

Just as when Millard; Waterhouse; Evans; Lea; Street; Timmins; Whitehead; Fawcett; Done; Richmond; Webber; Baldwin; Coleman; McCluskie and others left the club. The list is endless.

It happens all the time. I hate the expression 'past their sell by date'...but in the want of something better, it applies.

As a club we got over their departures and moved on. The same will happen time and time again.
I prefer to remember players for what they have contributed NOT seeing them in some cases as a shadow of their former selves.
Christies Child

Postby The Bay » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:28 pm

He's definately gone, Sammy's just told me himself.

I'll put up our full chat in a while.
The Bay's Goalzone - Saturday's 2-6pm & Tuesday's 7-10pm - Interviews & All The Action
http://www.thebay.co.uk
FOLLOW THE SHOW ON TWITTER - @dpsalmon or @TheBayGoalzone
The Bay

Postby morecambe mick » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:34 pm

Gutted we never got a chance to say thank you!
:cry:
morecambe mick

Postby Little Shrimp » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:47 pm

Twiss was never my fave player but I didn't want him to leave. This only leaves us with Taylor as a back up striker which meens we're doomed. We have tp sign more players in the summer. Taylore is simply not good enough. He's probably the worst footballer I've ever seen. He also has a bad attitude from what I've heard from Barrow. When I got his autograph he was very very cocky.
Little Shrimp

Postby Posh » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:51 pm

morecambe mick wrote:Gutted we never got a chance to say thank you!
:cry:

I think that's what's got to most people, me included. However I'm hoping that he'll be back for the final game at Christie Park as part of the team that got us promoted in some sort of 'legends parade'.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Dazzer » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:54 pm

All this seems strange given that only a few days ago Sammy said on TV we would be 'going for it' when asked about the play-offs.

Either, we are having to lessen the wage for wage cap restrictions or Sammy is looking to bring in an out of contract player or players, otherwise it does'nt seem to make sense.

An absolute legend. In all those years watching non league football I never saw anyone to match Twissy in his prime, i'm just glad I froze my naggings off at Bury now, at least it meant I saw his last appearance, but as others have said, I would have loved the chance to give him a proper send off :(
Dazzer

Postby marky » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:37 pm

I'm amazed. Not because Twiss has gone, but because I find myself agreeing with both of the week's decisions with regard releases. Neither player was likely to be anything other than a bench warmer for the rest of this season and neither were likely to be anything more tha occasional substitutes in the next one. Like Adams (perhaps more so), Twiss goes with utmost thanks for all his efforts for our club, but the time is right. I'm certain that this means the management have someone in mind to bring in, otherwise it may as well have been done at the end of June. Having said that, everyone is assuming that the players didn't want to leave early. The impression I get is both want first team football, neither could be offered it, so both have had their contracts terminated to enable them to find new clubs.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby james456 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:43 pm

I'd have thought players are being released now to allow a loan signing in/big contracts to be offered to current players.

For example, if Twiss was being released to make way for Jevons on a permanent contract, I think that would be a good decision.

It is a shame to lose Twissy though. :(
james456

Postby Sammy h » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:49 pm

Sammy obviously has something up his sleeve, it's going to be one of two things.

1- Offer a contract to the loanees (Jevo Panther Craney)

2- Bringing in another loan player to push our play off ambitions further.

Sorry to see Michael go, as someone has already said, what gets me most is that we can't say farewell or thankyou.

I really think we can give him the status `legend`
Sammy h

Postby Bare bum » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:23 pm

I'm certainly not convinced the time is right, but maybe that's more to do with an emotional attachment to the footballer than an objective view.

I remember seeing Michael Twiss score a stunning goal for Chester in a live televised match the season they were promoted and swooning about his quality. I couldn't believe it when Morecambe signed him a couple of months later. His signing made a declaration of the club's intent and over the next few years his goals were some of the most pleasurable experiences I have ever had as a supporter.
I particularly remember his second goal away at Cambridge one cold winter's afternoon - (just before halfway through the following compilation)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uleLjX56CYs
it was a beautiful goal and I was so proud he was one of ours, even lots of Cambridge supporters recognised and applauded the quality.
That's the thing about Twissy, he was always capable of doing something beautiful and each time, over the last couple of years, he got the ball, I'd mutter in my mind "go on Michael, show them what you can do" "Come on Twissy, hit a bender and leave the goalkeeper stranded" "Hit it Twissy!". But I suppose, I have to admit, he did the beautiful and the arrogant less and less.
Even so, I still believed that he'd do it and he would silence his critics and that would lead to an upsurge in confidence and performance. But now it will never happen, I'll never see that beauty again and I'm really quite emotional about that.

Anyway, thankyou for the memories, Michael, and I hope wherever you play you get valued like you were here. Loads of us really loved you, you know. Might come and watch you if it's not too far. Farewell.
A lilo, almost as nice as a puppy
Bare bum

Postby Freez » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:47 pm

Well said!

Gutted that we didn't get to say goodbye.
However, that goal at Cambridge stands as my personal fave Shrimps goals of all time.
Great move and an impudent curling finish which the away fans saw from right behind on the side, superb quality goal!

Legend at Crusty Pie, joining many others who will always have a place in our hearts and memories!
Good luck Michael, thank you for too many happy memories. We all have Wembley, and for that alone you will never fade far from our hearts!

Good luck Twissy!
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion