When is it time to release players?

When is it time to release players?

Postby Christies Child » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:43 pm

With all the news / rumours concerning released players of late, when do others feel it is the best time for both the players and the clubs best interests to be released from their contracts?

Personally I would rather release a player from his contract now if it enables him to get fixed up with another club prior to the close seasons 'free for all' than to have him sat on the bench (if he's lucky) if it was accepted that come May they would probably be released anyway. This frees up monies which could be used to bring in potential new signings with a view to next season.

:?: :?: :?:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Re: When is it time to release players?

Postby P/T Indie » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:46 pm

Just a thought but I wonder when the figures have to be submitted to the league for monitoring the wage cap.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby feelingguilty » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:20 pm

There is clearly someting in the rules.

To me it is irrational to let players go now (whether you rate them or not) as you have to pay up the contract so the real cash cost is the same whether they stay or go, so whats the point in letting them go.

If the salary cap is assessed against April salaries logic makes sense.
feelingguilty

Postby Morecambe Jack » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:38 pm

I doubt we would release players at this stage of the season and pay their contracts up in full. We will make an agreement with the players where by they receive some of the salary they would receive but not all. That way the club saves money and the players can go and find new clubs immedietly or can take a break before they search for new clubs at the end of the season - thats up to them.
Morecambe Jack

Postby Christies Child » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:43 pm

Morecambe Jack wrote:I doubt we would release players at this stage of the season and pay their contracts up in full. We will make an agreement with the players where by they receive some of the salary they would receive but not all. That way the club saves money and the players can go and find new clubs immedietly or can take a break before they search for new clubs at the end of the season - thats up to them.

Exactly. This works in the private setor whereby somebody who is on a contract can be offered a financial settlement if their employer wishes to release them.

Sounds like a win win situation, assuming that the player / worker agrees to the proposal.

It will also depend on the wording in the original contract regarding such an eventuality. :?:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Posh » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:02 pm

I think the main problem is that we've got so many players out of contract at the end of this season that negotiations have to start early to secure those we need. Remember they can look for clubs 6 weeks (?) before their contract ends.

As a result when we agreed contract extentions with Garry Hunter and Drummy those players not subject to discussions were banging on the manager's door and asking when was it their turn, what was going on and 'am I staying or not?'. Sammy and the directors involved have been decent enough to tell them now and also to offer them the opportunity to move on with a decent payment. For example, I'd expect Danny Adams to be playing for a Conference club very shortly.

The concern for me is not the players leaving but those who haven't signed or those I don't think should get a new contract that we're hearing nothing about. For example, I'd love to hear the news that Barry Roche has extended his contract (I rate this as a 20% chance at best); Phil Jevons to sign; and that Manny Panther is going to sign.

Beyond that there's only three I wouldn't mind being offered a contract to and the rest can go. However I expect Sammy to leave them in limbo to see if anything better comes along. The one player I wouldn't like to sign is Paul Mullin because of his wage demands at Accy and because, to be honest, I think we can do better for the money in a tight financial climate..
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby heysham_mfc » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:15 pm

From a players point of view it's better if they know now if they will be kept on or not rather than being told at the end of the season and only having a couple on months to find a new club and maybe a new house.
heysham_mfc

Return to General Discussion