Health & Safety

Health & Safety

Postby cragbankshrimp » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:32 pm

Can't believe the stewards confiscated the big inflatable football the Vale Fans had at half time today. The fans purposely kept it till half time so it didn't affect the game at all and the stewards couldn't get in quick enough to take it away. one of the vale fans ran on to the pitch and put it in the back of the net, to which their fans celebrated as if they'd equalised. All good humoured fun. So why spoil it????????? Surely a bit of commonsense from the stewards would have been enough.
"Accrington Stanley" Who are they??????????????
cragbankshrimp

Re: Health & Safety

Postby darrenlock » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:47 pm

I know i laughed out loud that was only real entertainment from Port Vale oh except when they hit the post in second half lol. Man i want that ball
darrenlock

Postby wijit » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:59 pm

I think you answered your own question there, craggy. Common sense and stewards aren't really words you can put too closely together.
wijit

Postby PottedShrimp » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:57 am

Did they really - what a bunch of pathetic saddos
Squillae parvae sed fortes
PottedShrimp

Postby heysham_mfc » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:57 am

cragbankshrimp wrote:Can't believe the stewards confiscated the big inflatable football the Vale Fans had at half time today. The fans purposely kept it till half time so it didn't affect the game at all and the stewards couldn't get in quick enough to take it away. one of the vale fans ran on to the pitch and put it in the back of the net, to which their fans celebrated as if they'd equalised. All good humoured fun. So why spoil it????????? Surely a bit of commonsense from the stewards would have been enough.

I agree after all it's only a bit of fun
heysham_mfc

Postby steve mfc » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:49 pm

Check out the Accy forum apparently they will have to get their flags treated to make them fireproof. Is this taking Health and Safety too far ?.
steve mfc

Postby shrimpnsave » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:58 pm

steve mfc wrote:Check out the Accy forum apparently they will have to get their flags treated to make them fireproof. Is this taking Health and Safety too far ?.

:lol: it makes you think doesnt it,how has the human race survived without h/s :lol:
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby Keith » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:52 pm

shrimpnsave wrote:
steve mfc wrote:Check out the Accy forum apparently they will have to get their flags treated to make them fireproof. Is this taking Health and Safety too far ?.

:lol: it makes you think doesnt it,how has the human race survived without h/s :lol:

Ibrox 1963- Problems on stairway 13 led to two people dying. Despite improvements, in 1971 a crush on the same stairway led to 66 people dying and around 200 injuries. Lessons weren't learnt.

Bradford 1985- Fire claimed the lives of 56 football fans, 54 from Bradford, two from Lincoln. A build up of dirt, paper etc had collected under the flooring and caught fire when someone discarded a cigarette. Fire escapes were padlocked, the same as they were at the Summerland disaster in 1973, where 50 people died in a nightclub fire and Woolworths in Manchester 1979, when ten people were killed where again, exits were padlocked and windows were barred. Lessons weren't learned here either.

Heysel 1985- Liverpool fans breached a security fence. Juventus fans retreated causing a crush against a wall that eventually collapsed, killing 39 people and injuring about 600.

Hillsborough 1989- 96 Liverpool fans crushed to death against fences designed to keep people off the pitch. Perhaps the 'wrong' lessons were learned after disasters like Heysel?

255 people who went to watch a game of football but never came home in four incidents involving British clubs over the last forty years. That's just mentioning infamous incidents with large loss of life at single incidents. It is only a few weeks ago that a Blackburn fan went to watch a game but never returned after being hit on the head by a thrown rubbish bin. Back in 1985 or 86 we played at Bangor City in the Northern Premier League. They had played in the European Cup so had Hillsborough style cages behind the goal for away fans. One of their idiots (bearing in mind how soon after the Bradford disaster this was) ran across the corner of the pitch and stole a flag of St George, returned to their wooden stand and set fire to it. We realised that if the fire got out of control, we were screwed because we couldn't get out of the cage.

So to answer your question 'how did we survive without Health & Safety?' Well, usually good luck... and sadly, frequently we didn't.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby shrimpnsave » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:00 pm

point taken :oops:

my post wasnt just re- football but a general view on health and safety,imo they do seem to go ott on some occasions :)
shrimpnsave

Postby mrpotatohead » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:04 pm

If the odd jobsworth spoils a bit of harmless fun now and then, so be it, inconsistency is rife in all walks of life, including health and safety, i am sure that they thought they were doing the right thing, just like traffic wardens, or the man who tells your kid his 7 minutes are up on the trampolines in happy mount park is right, even though the others are all empty :roll: :roll:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby RedRedWine1 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:07 pm

The way I saw it was that the Port Vale fans quickly got bored of throwing the ball between themselves, and then proceeded to throw the ball on the pitch to annoy the stewards. Despite being told not to do this, and after the stewards had thrown the ball back to them on numerous occasions, they persisted to do so. They were asking for the ball to be taken off them, and it was. Thick as a puddle.
RedRedWine1

Postby Mark S » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:09 pm

I think what we have to remember when we talk about stewards using 'common sense' is that they are under strict instructions and guidelines.

If the Valiant fans decided to kick a big inflatable ball onto the pitch and cheer on one of their fans who technically broke the law, right in front of the Police incident room behind them, it's hardly the fault of the poor steward who gets the call on their radio to confiscate it.

A lot of the stewards are volunteers. Maybe anyone who criticises them should volunteer for a while first to make sure they know what they are talking about? Just a suggestion.
Mark S

Postby mrpotatohead » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:56 pm

Us lot eh :roll:

Decent result :)

clean sheet :)

reasonable turnout :?:

I know, LETS PICK ON THE STEWARDS :lol: :lol:
mrpotatohead

Postby Simples » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:58 pm

Mark S wrote:I think what we have to remember when we talk about stewards using 'common sense' is that they are under strict instructions and guidelines.

If the Valiant fans decided to kick a big inflatable ball onto the pitch and cheer on one of their fans who technically broke the law, right in front of the Police incident room behind them, it's hardly the fault of the poor steward who gets the call on their radio to confiscate it.

A lot of the stewards are volunteers. Maybe anyone who criticises them should volunteer for a while first to make sure they know what they are talking about? Just a suggestion.

All stewards are paid, have been since promotion. Volunteers are scarce at Christie Park.
Simples, innit?
Simples

Postby Mark S » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:14 pm

Simples wrote:
Mark S wrote:I think what we have to remember when we talk about stewards using 'common sense' is that they are under strict instructions and guidelines.

All stewards are paid, have been since promotion. Volunteers are scarce at Christie Park.

That makes me one of the scarce few. I wouldnt dream of taking money off the club for helping out on Matchdays.

I am sure it will be just a token amount they are paid. Either way the point remains that they have to follow the rules and listen to the Chief Stewards and the Police.
Mark S

Postby Simples » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:25 pm

A dying breed Mark, a dying breed but let's not detract from the original subject. The jobsworths are in the control room.
Simples, innit?
Simples

Postby steve mfc » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:38 pm

Keith wrote:
shrimpnsave wrote:

Ibrox 1963- Problems on stairway 13 led to two people dying. Despite improvements, in 1971 a crush on the same stairway led to 66 people dying and around 200 injuries. Lessons weren't learnt.

The 1971 game that you refer to was the game against Celtic and was the only home game that i missed that season because i couldn't get a ticket, i would have been leaving down stairway 13 as well so to say i consider myself fortunate is putting it mildly.

A couple of people from our supporters club died and several others were caught in the crush, one of these became a good friend, many times after the disaster particularly at away matches he would get a panic attack when there was crowd congestion trying to get into the ground and we would have to get out and wait till it eased.
steve mfc

Postby Keith » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:41 pm

Simples wrote:A dying breed Mark, a dying breed but let's not detract from the original subject. The jobsworths are in the control room.

And when the FA fine the club for failing to control away fans and stopping them from entering the playing area, everyone will be complaining about how incompetent they are and how if they'd acted more professionally the club wouldn't have lost out financially???
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby mrpotatohead » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:23 pm

Come on lads and lasses, lighten up, lets all ave a chippy tea :lol: :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch#v=tS_OkJaZFd4&feature=fvw
mrpotatohead

Postby shrimpnsave » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:26 pm

Come on lads and lasses, lighten up, lets all ave a chippy tea

hahahaha,be careful that h/s arnt whatching :lol:
shrimpnsave

Postby mrpotatohead » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:29 pm

All fried products are cooked naturally...in beef dripping :lol:
mrpotatohead

Postby shrimpnsave » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:36 pm

mrpotatohead wrote:All fried products are cooked naturally...in beef dripping :lol:

can i have some lard on my eggbread :lol:
shrimpnsave

Postby shrimpnsave » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:51 pm

mrpotatohead wrote:All fried products are cooked naturally...in beef dripping :lol:

dont cows add to the global warming coz they f..t

and that is an other subject

the world has gone mad,no sorry little britain has gone mad :lol: :lol: :lol:
shrimpnsave

Postby mrpotatohead » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:16 pm

Does any one on here remember this health and safety public info film from the early seventies, I used to fancy daves bird like mad when i was ten, the film inspired me to do my blue seagull at the SSS :lol: :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch_videos?mor ... =3&index=4
mrpotatohead

Postby Weetabix Kid » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:59 am

not as bad as when we went to MK Dons with inflatables the other year... that was a H&S Numptyness gone mad!
Weetabix Kid

Next

Return to General Discussion