todays game

todays game

Postby Shrimpman » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:11 pm

we were poor today, no creativity anywhere to many players watching & no movement off the ball

We were losing 2 0 at half time & only made 1 sub all game Why ??
Its clear after todays game there are quite a few players not good enough for this league old & new players

our best players IMO today were Wainwright, Hunter & Artell, Curtis

our worst players Adams, Parish, Carr
Shrimpman

Re: todays game

Postby campdave » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:13 pm

We struggled against pace, as we often seem to do.
campdave

Postby 4G63 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:27 pm

We really need to buck our ideas up or we can expect nothing this season.

Shrimpman wrote:we were poor today, no creativity anywhere to many players watching & no movement off the ball

We were losing 2 0 at half time & only made 1 sub all game Why ??
Its clear after todays game there are quite a few players not good enough for this league old & new players

our best players IMO today were Wainwright, Hunter & Artell, Curtis

our worst players Adams, Parish, Carr

I agree with that 100%. Can't understand why it Sammy didn't make any more changes!
4G63

Postby About Halfway » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:32 pm

We did concede three very good goals today. There wont be many games where 3 goals of that quality are scored against us in one game. Other than those 3, can u remember anymore chances they had? I think roche made one other save at his near post.
About Halfway

Postby dave wilky » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:43 pm

Credit where its due to their No 5..Sharps excellent

Wayne when he came on showed wainwright what he should be doing...he improved as the game went on..other than that nothing to write home about....
dave wilky

Postby steve mfc » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:47 pm

If Wayne isn't considered good enough to start and Twiss cant regain his form then we need to bring in a left sided midfielder.

First half we had no shape to the side with one wide player in Wainwright and three centre midfielders, there was a better balance to the team when Curtis was introduced, but we did look very light weight in the centre.

I wish the problem with Stanley could be resolved, we really did miss him today.
steve mfc

Postby Martin » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:52 pm

About Halfway wrote:We did concede three very good goals today. There wont be many games where 3 goals of that quality are scored against us in one game. Other than those 3, can u remember anymore chances they had? I think roche made one other save at his near post.

They were three very well finished goals, but good? I think it's significant that all three originated down their right hand side
Martin

Postby billybonz » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:57 pm

Thought Adams looked very slow and even more unfit than normal! That all the goals came from his side speaks volumes. Couldn't Yatesy play left back?
billybonz

Postby Welshrimp » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:01 pm

All three goals from left side of our defence highlights some problems.

Nothing happening in the middle of the park again - we MUST have some options going through the middle. The front two MUST get more service.

Wainwright very good. Carr had a good first half but saw nothing of things in the second.

Roche coped well. Parrish did OK but I'm not sure what he offers that Yatesey doesn't.

Howe has yet to impress me, but hasn't received a whole lot of service.

Some positives, but we must tighten up at the back.
I'm Welshrimp and I'm a new Shrimpsvoices addict.
Welshrimp

Postby parkyboy » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:14 pm

8 goals against in 3 matches . left back one big problem two slow and most clubs will find him out , Stanley was missed as was Twiss and why only 1 sub used , why not bring on Mcstay for Adams and O,carroll for Howe after about 55mins when we had a chance to do something about a result. Relegation staring us in the face if something is,nt done quick
parkyboy

Postby chipbuns » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:21 pm

yates , howard , twiss and stanley need to come in as we have no creativity. it's was just long ball and the rotherham centre back's coped easily .must have felt like a training session for them! i was very impressed with Pablo Mills , totally controlled the middle of the park and we couldnt get near him, everything that Rotherham did went through him.
chipbuns

Postby Christies Child » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:31 pm

parkyboy wrote:8 goals against in 3 matches . left back one big problem two slow and most clubs will find him out , Stanley was missed as was Twiss and why only 1 sub used , why not bring on Mcstay for Adams and O,carroll for Howe after about 55mins when we had a chance to do something about a result. Relegation staring us in the face if something is,nt done quick

I hope that O'Carroll is knocking down the managers office door demanding to be given a chance.

Shades of John Newby?
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Mark S » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:44 pm

Feelings are running high tonight, but please can we be careful with potentially libelous comments? Had to remove one already.
Mark S

Postby campdave » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:47 pm

parkyboy wrote:8 goals against in 3 matches . left back one big problem two slow and most clubs will find him out , Stanley was missed as was Twiss and why only 1 sub used , why not bring on Mcstay for Adams and O,carroll for Howe after about 55mins when we had a chance to do something about a result. Relegation staring us in the face if something is,nt done quick

Why take Howe off? After Wainwright, he was by far our best player today.
campdave

Postby Vinny » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:47 pm

It's unfortunate that we were outplayed again today by another good team who will soon get themselves out of that relegation zone and will probably do quite well by the end of the season. As Sammy said on the radio we were sluggish and tired after we were run ragged on Wednesday nights game against a very good Forest team. Rotherham had their Carling Cup game on Tuesday and therefore had the benefit of an extra day to recover, and this is almost always a crucial advantage.

Yes, we allowed them too much space to attack. Yes, our left-back was less than sharp today. Yes, we persisted with the fruitless long-punt up field to loose possession time and time again. We looked much better when Wayne came on. If, as Sammy says, he is using a squad system, with strength in depth, and realising full well that most of our players on the pitch were tired after Wednesday, why is it Sammy doesn't make full use, or better use of subs :?: :?: I would have liked to have seen O'Carroll brought on for Blinks and Drummy (was he on the bench?) on for Carr for the last 20 or 10 minutes. Fresh legs and new impetous have to be advantageous.

A big positive today - Well done to the singing fans today, that I thought were brilliant, especially first half, and refreshingly free of foul language - well done!!!
Bring me sunshine, in your smile.
A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Vinny

Postby red shrimp » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:47 pm

we were rearly poor today. carr wasnt in the game, didnt see him at times. very poor display from him, he needs to improve. adams had a poor game, when teams play us there managers will say attack down the right, coz were to weak on that side. get howard back in!! impressed with wainwright looks a class act, still has pace two. roche looks good very commanding in the air. hunter class act.

roche. looks good

parrish. poor today

jimbo. solid as ever

artell. ok game

adams. sorry not up 2 it

wainwright. class act

hunter. never say die attitude

mclaughlin. didnt get into the game

carr. not impressed yet

blinks. worked hard

howe. average performance

wayne looked good when he came on, wats the crack with o;carrol should play him from start , or even bring him on.

cum on sammy sort it out....
red shrimp

Postby Mark S » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:51 pm

At the risk of sounding like I have it in for the lad (I havent), I thought Blinks had a mare again today. I wanted him off for O'caroll.

Bad day at the office but we had a similar start last season. A draw and a loss. Lets see what happens next week at Bury.
Mark S

Postby fletch_al » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:57 pm

artel was not that good today at all. he was good in defence stopping the ball but then he doesnt know what to do with it. everytime he got the ball he lobbed it up front to know one. hit and hope does not work
fletch_al

Postby campdave » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:59 pm

To be fair to Bentley and Artell, they only started to lob it forward after we'd lost it in midfield one time to many. Rotherham bossed us in the middle all afternoon.
campdave

Postby Martin » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:00 pm

Mark S wrote:At the risk of sounding like I have it in for the lad (I havent), I thought Blinks had a mare again today. I wanted him off for O'caroll.

Have to agree. His first touch was awful. You might as well be passing the ball to a wall. I think O'Carroll should have been given a run in the last 15-20 minutes to see if he could shake things up a bit.

I think the main frustration today is we looked weak in all departments. Rotherham are a good side and will climb the table once they've escaped the hole they're in, but our inability to compete and create was hugely disappointing. On today's evidence, there seems a long way to go. I'm sure Sammy and Mark will work hard to put it right, but there is a lot still to put right.
Martin

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:04 pm

About Halfway wrote:We did concede three very good goals today. There wont be many games where 3 goals of that quality are scored against us in one game. Other than those 3, can u remember anymore chances they had? I think roche made one other save at his near post.

The first & third (carbon copy of the first) were totally avoidable, great finishes indeed but standing off without making a tackle invites this not once but twice :roll:
Seriously poor today and it's a good while since the fans left in their droves before the end, Rotherham to their credit came here to put right last seasons nightmare and did a job on us but my main concern was Sammy's lack of vision by not changing things much sooner when it was blatantly obvious the team was struggling.
O'Carroll should have replaced Blinkhorn for atleast 30 minutes of the second half and Howe must be wondering what he's let himself in for, busting a gut for that kind of service!
Parrish who I really had high hopes for pre season looked nervous and acted like the ball was a bomb about to go off, Adams had a killer too and the Midfield was sadly lacking, Yes Gaz ran his socks off but Stanners would have faired better than Carr at his side,
Twissy would have given us something on the left side (as much as I hate him being played there)

Neil Wainwright deserves the plaudits today for his willingness, skill and goal, I won't be writing home about the rest i'm afraid to say :|
HALMA 1983

Postby Number 1 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:46 pm

For me, the midfield doesn't have enough bite, never mind not being creative. Too many goals have been conceded whereby the defensive midfield have allowed the opposition to have a pop from around 20 yards. Unfortunately, this has led to goals, but on other occasions, it might not have. If Fraser's job is to sit in front of the back four, then really, he's not doing his job. If he was a Makelele or a Hamann type who do that job effectively then those chances wouldn't crop up for the opposition, and the likes of Carr and Wainwright would also be able to be more attacking, but as it is, Wainwright has to spend a lot of his time defending. In turn the defence are under more pressure, so it makes them look bad.

Like others, I do think that we're missing Stanley. The true test of a manager is to play his best team despite his fall outs, but by the same token, he can't allow players to be undisciplined. I think Sammy, Stanners and his agent should have clear the air talks and get Stanners back where he belongs. Sammys problem seems to be that he thinks he has to play the players he gets on with, although I could be wrong.

I thought that O'Carroll had been injured which was why he wasn't starting, but I could be wrong again. I'd certainly like to see Howe and O'Carroll start together.

If you remember last year, Rotherham were a nailed on play off team until the point deduction floored them, so they're no mugs. It's often the case that at the beginning of the season various things need to be tried out, so keep the faith and let's not be too downhearted eh?
Number 1

Postby mfcbro » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:12 pm

I apologise before i start,People have slagged me off for slating Danny Aams,i.e.change your user name to Micky Howard,can anybody come on here and defend a Mr Adams today?I think not,at fault for all 3 goals.No Stanners,Drummond,Yates,Twiss,Howard on the bench,and i bet Adams starts against Bury.Midfield was non existent today,was fraser injured or considered not good enough to be replaced at half time.Why did Sammy not take off Blinkhorn and give o carrol a start when we were 2 down?Sorry i am starting to feel like Robert.Feel free to shoot me down.
mfcbro

Postby CASS » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:15 pm

OLDHAMADE wrote:

Parrish who I really had high hopes |

I know that hop's are taking over,but did Parrish make a positive pass ? Ok he made one or two good tackles but I do not remember him passing forward. During the last 15 last season with us down 2 1 you would have expected to see Yates performing as a wingback supporting Thompson
Today Parrish looked a little giddy as he reached the half way line . A little negative is the reflection through these beer Goggles. Off out again to the Sausage..Chin Chin :mrgreen:
http://nbutalad.blogspot.com/
Reflections of a grand l'al spot.
CASS

Postby Christies Child » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:16 pm

mfcbro wrote:I apologise before i start,People have slagged me off for slating Danny Aams,i.e.change your user name to Micky Howard,can anybody come on here and defend a Mr Adams today?I think not,at fault for all 3 goals.No Stanners,Drummond,Yates,Twiss,Howard on the bench,and i bet Adams starts against Bury.Midfield was non existent today,was fraser injured or considered not good enough to be replaced at half time.Why did Sammy not take off Blinkhorn and give o carrol a start when we were 2 down?Sorry i am starting to feel like Robert.Feel free to shoot me down.

I'll stand in the firing line alongside you to keep you company...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Next

Return to General Discussion