Morecambe v Chesterfield

Re: Morecambe v Chesterfield

Postby darrenlock » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:58 pm

Harry clap clap i agree.

Morecambe sometimes struggle when going on the wings we need a natural experienced football league player on there.
Whoever in North stand kept screaming about Wilson having no confidence your wrong his is a brillant player for league two football.
Personally this match was a one off once Chesterfield went down too ten men they were very organised and defended good i think with Aaron Taylor injury dunno how long he could be out for we need cover in center forwards because Wayne Curtis i respect what he has done for Morecambe but we needs

Either a young exciting center forward like say a Jordan Connerton.

OR

Go and get a experienced league footballer that will give good guidance for other Morecambe footballer's.
darrenlock

Postby ezz » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:09 pm

DawZi wrote:how many times as SM played Curtis on the left wing? and got the same answer everytime

when they went down to 10 i couldn't see the point in playing 4 defenders just to mark 1 forward

we could have afforded playing 3 defenders against there 10 men and put Wainwright on for Curtis and told Wilson to stay forward on the left then Wainwright over on the right

and i thought in the 1st half we played to many long balsl in the air for Jevons when he needs the ball to his quick feet

:cry:

They kept both Gritton and Conlon upfront, so 3 defenders wouldn't have helped.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Christies Child » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:17 pm

They kept both Gritton and Conlon upfront, so 3 defenders wouldn't have helped.[/quote]

You've got to credit their manager with that tactical choice. It even surprised their radio reporters behind us. :o :o :o

4 3 2 worked for them......much to our cost! :o :o :o

Would Sammy have done the same given the same situation?
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby George Dawes » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:20 pm

ezz wrote:
DawZi wrote:how many times as SM played Curtis on the left wing? and got the same answer everytime

when they went down to 10 i couldn't see the point in playing 4 defenders just to mark 1 forward

we could have afforded playing 3 defenders against there 10 men and put Wainwright on for Curtis and told Wilson to stay forward on the left then Wainwright over on the right

and i thought in the 1st half we played to many long balsl in the air for Jevons when he needs the ball to his quick feet

:cry:

They kept both Gritton and Conlon upfront, so 3 defenders wouldn't have helped.

only in the last 10 mins they did that after a substitution, still feel we should have beat them today if the right players had been selected and assembled correctly
Last edited by George Dawes on Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George Dawes

Postby Welshrimp » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:29 pm

Reasons for me why we lost today

Their goalkeeper
A lack of urgency
Poor final ball
Crossing was terrible
We didn't attack what balls did arrive in the box
One touch too many in the 18yard box
Except for a couple of superb efforts that hit the bar, our shooting was almost non existant
Substitution of an ineffective front line too late

Agreed - plus their defence in general was very well organised. In fairness their goalkeeper dealt with crosses well but their defence made sure that we gave him precious little else to do. Moreover when we did have the chance, we were too often too scared of taking on the responsibility of shooting - or in some cases too one footed to take a pot at first opportunity.
I'm Welshrimp and I'm a new Shrimpsvoices addict.
Welshrimp

Postby mounse mk2 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:44 pm

Personally thought we created enough to win the game. It was just one of those days.

I was convinced that Jevons shot was IN, in the 1st half when it hit the cross bar.

We will/have create/d (delete as appropiate) less chances in a game and will win/ have won.

Still can't understand the negativity, especally on the stands from certain people.

We'll beat Accy next week. Believe!!

UP THE SHRIMPS
When i look deep in your eyes
I swear i can see your soul
mounse mk2

Postby shrimpnsave » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:49 pm

mounse mk2 wrote:Personally thought we created enough to win the game. It was just one of those days.

I was convinced that Jevons shot was IN, in the 1st half when it hit the cross bar.

We will/have create/d (delete as appropiate) less chances in a game and will win/ have won.

Still can't understand the negativity, especally on the stands from certain people.

UP THE SHRIMPS

dittto mate :lol:
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby George Dawes » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:01 pm

mounse mk2 wrote:Personally thought we created enough to win the game. It was just one of those days.

UP THE SHRIMPS

if SM starts the same team next week we wont..

if he brings in Hunter and selects somebody else more appropriate on the left midfield and plays a target man for Jevons to play off, then definitely maybe
Last edited by George Dawes on Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George Dawes

Postby heysham_mfc » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:03 pm

yes just one of those days were nothing goes for you very unlucky not to getc anything never mind though there is still lots of points to play for
heysham_mfc

Postby PottedShrimp » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:41 pm

Little Shrimp wrote:
Keith wrote:so what went wrong? bad luck? just 'one of those days'?

We just played awful. Sammy made some really bad tactical errors. There defence was excellent, we were afraid to shoot and we panicked.

A real shocker. As others have said why oh why is Curtis being played down the wing???? But worse still no invention in midfield, Chesterfield should have been stretched to breaking point with 10 men and they weren't and we still have the problem that no-one wants to take on the responsibility of shooting or maybe there really is a tablet of stone in the dressing room which reads Thou Shalt Walk the Ball into the Net.
Squillae parvae sed fortes
PottedShrimp

Postby John L » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:28 am

Fgh shrimp wrote:We lost a game of football for gods sake its not the end of the world

Some people seem to think it's the end of our season though.... :roll:
John L

Postby seasonsinthesun » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:56 am

Some people seem to think it's the end of our season though.... :roll:[/quote]

It may not be the end of our season, but it is more points lost, and when you look at the games in hand that other teams have on us, particularly Accrington,then we are already, going into February, starting to rely on others dropping points. This is not ideal, as it is better to have matters in our hands.
However, lots of points to play for, and all we can do is look to the next match......oh no!! it's against you know who??? :roll: :o :(
Coates Pearson Street Baldwin Bennett Sutton Done Roberts Kershaw Webber Richmond Galley - Shrimps '74 Legends
seasonsinthesun

Postby campdave » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:16 am

Disappointing result given the posession in the second half, we barely worked their keeper.

Match was lost in midfield IMO - disappointed Panther or Hunter weren't given a run-out, as I don't think Stanley contributed much all afternoon. Credit though to Chesterfield for their well marshalled defence that snuffed out a lot of our threat round the box.

Was frustrated at the amount of time-wasting Chesterfield were allowed to indulge in - they certainly wasted more than the four minutes the referee allowed at the end.
campdave

Postby Christies Child » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:52 am

campdave wrote:Disappointing result given the posession in the second half, we barely worked their keeper.

Match was lost in midfield IMO - disappointed Panther or Hunter weren't given a run-out, as I don't think Stanley contributed much all afternoon. Credit though to Chesterfield for their well marshalled defence that snuffed out a lot of our threat round the box.

Was frustrated at the amount of time-wasting Chesterfield were allowed to indulge in - they certainly wasted more than the four minutes the referee allowed at the end.

All credit to their manager who opted for 2 up front in the second half despite being down to 10 men. I think it wasn't what we expected and took us by surprise, meaning that we had to play with 4 at the back as usual. As for the time wasting, would agree CD but we'd have done the same given the circumstances.

The ref let them get away with it, but I've noticed that whenever he's been in charge of our games, players (on both sides) have got away with a lot.
Christies Child

Postby George Dawes » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:05 am

Christies Child wrote:
campdave wrote:Disappointing result given the posession in the second half, we barely worked their keeper.

All credit to their manager who opted for 2 up front in the second half despite being down to 10 men. I think it wasn't what we expected and took us by surprise, meaning that we had to play with 4 at the back as usual. As for the time wasting, would agree CD but we'd have done the same given the circumstances.

The ref let them get away with it, but I've noticed that whenever he's been in charge of our games, players (on both sides) have got away with a lot.

hhhm you must have been watching a different game to me they played 4 4 1 with Gritton upfront on his own Conlon dropped deep to help out midfield

it was only when then they made a subtitiution on 79mins when Boden came on for Conlon they went 4 3 2 and credit to them they went for it and put us on the back foot and could have got a 2nd in the last 10 mins
George Dawes

Postby Christies Child » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:23 am

DawZi wrote:
Christies Child wrote:

hhhm you must have been watching a different game to me they played 4 4 1 with Gritton upfront on his own Conlon dropped deep to help out midfield

it was only when then they made a subtitiution on 79mins when Boden came on for Conlon they went 4 3 2 and credit to them they went for it and put us on the back foot and could have got a 2nd in the last 10 mins

...wouldn't be the first time I've been accused of being at a different game...and no doubt not the last.

I'll give SPECSAVERS a call... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Christies Child

Postby George Dawes » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:28 am

well you was partly right.. or i was partly wrong, my eyes aint brilliant :) :lol:
George Dawes

Postby Caged Lion » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:38 am

Christies Child wrote:Reasons for me why we lost today

Their goalkeeper
A lack of urgency
Poor final ball
Crossing was terrible
We didn't attack what balls did arrive in the box
One touch too many in the 18yard box
Except for a couple of superb efforts that hit the bar, our shooting was almost non existant
Substitution of an ineffective front line too late

Good call.
In particular Wayne mostly had a rubbish game out wide, in the first half he defiinitely wanted to drift into the middle leaving Wilson with nobody to pass to.
Wilson suffered a slump in confidence when they scored and didn't seem to know what he should do.
Drummond wasn't up for it at all. Both him and Stanley continually passed sideways giving Chesterfield loadsa time to suss out what was going on.
Artell...phhht
Time to bring back Mullin instead of Curtis, Bentley instead of Artell and give Panther a run out from the start instead of Stanley.
Caged Lion

Postby Sammy h » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:01 pm

I don't think we played as bad as what has been said above, we definitely had our chances to win the game and finish Chesterfield off, but that's football, we didn't!

1st half too many passes were going astray, Drummond and Stanley giving the ball away very cheaply atleast half a dozen times. "Sideways Stanley" wouldn't pass the ball forward, and neither would Drummond until later on when he had a few driving runs, which is what we want to see. Everything that touched Jevons bounced off him as if he had never played football before. Wayne Curtis, you have been an excellent player for this club, but i'm sorry your not football league, you wasn't even that prolific in the conference days.

Today i think we got it wrong tactically and Sammy should know that. We were pretty solid at the back apart from obviously the goal, and a few dodgy moments by Artell. Will Haining MOM fully deserved, bossed the whole game. I haven't met/spoke to many people that agree with this, but i think Wilson should be left wing, he is wasted in defence, the amount of times he gets up there from left back is good enough, imagine what he could do if he was pushed a little further, obviously this could mean the return of a certain Mr Danny Adams, who had a good game last week, but i would rather see abit of pace up top than have a talented boy like Wilson stuck at the back.

Onto Accy and i think we need to bring some bite into the midfield with either Hunter or Panther, or possibly both? If we are going to just keep crossing the ball like we did yesterday, instead of running through Chesterfield (which we could have done) why not start Mullin? How many times did you see a cross go in the box yesterday only for no one to be there, or Twiss/Jevons there? If were going to play like that get the big man on.

Accrington prediction 1-1
Sammy h

Postby ezz » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:05 pm

Chesterfield played with two strikers for pretty much the entire game, they just grafted their arses off. I think I would have brought manther on with at least 20mins just for his composure. Duffy had plenty of chances and should have done better. Hit bar with 2 great efforts and post with another and a load of crosses that only needed the slightest touch just not our day. Their keeper made a great save from Haining in the last second of the game too.
Get over it ;)
ezz

Postby Blackburn shrimp » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:42 pm

Highlight of the game for me was the John Terry remark over the P.a system at half time :twisted: :twisted: :D :D :D
Blackburn shrimp

Postby Posh » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:19 pm

For me Sammy's got to take a large portion of the blame for the result.

It was fairly obvious that we were struggling to break them down so we needed to make a meaningful change early in the second half. Instead we brought on a striker where they weren't get much service. Bringing on Paul Mullin encourages players to pump the ball up to him for the knock down but the Chesterfield players were lapping that up all day.

As a result the best option is to have wingers attacking the full backs, getting behind them and whipping a ball in from the byline that a player like Mullin, Drummy or Jev can attack. Instead we had a very right footed player playing left-wing (Duffy) and a very left footed player playing right wing (Twissy). Both of them had to cut back and cross in to facing Chesterfield defenders who it was meat and drink too. Tactically bonkers in my view.

Add to this the best attacking player we've had this season is Lawrence Wilson yet he seems to be playing deeper and deeper with each game, yet he's twice the pace of Twissy, Wayne and Duffs.

In my view we played a poor Chesterfield side, low on confidence and with a poor away record at the right time. Sure we hit the metalwork four times but they were there for the taking and we used the wrong tactics, subs and players to get what should have been a comfortable win. Disappointing.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Previous

Return to General Discussion