o/t M6 link road to go ahead

Re: o/t M6 link road to go ahead

Postby Splodge » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:32 pm

shrimpnsave wrote:
Splodge wrote:Oh FFS. If Heysham gets the 3rd reactor (which will be good for the local economy), then we will need a link for all the materials and any staff who commute either during the building, or when it is opened. This whole process has been an absolute farce.

point taken..all i said was this is a local issue and we have to look at all the pros and cons

may i ask where do you live :?:

Torrisholme ;)

Albeit not within sight of the proposed route, though certainly close enough for it to be useful when using the M6. It's ridiculous when I've set off on a long journey to spend up to half an hour simply trying to get out of Morecambe!
Splodge

Postby marky » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:05 pm

shrimpnsave wrote:not a chance ..ill fight for the minority

and you dont live in torrisholme do YOU

So what? I'm from Bare. I lived in Morecambe for the first 18.5 years of my life. All my family still live there or the immediate surroundings. Fighting for minority is one thing. You can do that without telling someone they are talking bollocks when there is clear and unequivocal evidence to the contrary.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby shrimpnsave » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:22 pm

marky wrote:

So what? I'm from Bare. I lived in Morecambe for the first 18.5 years of my life. All my family still live there or the immediate surroundings. Fighting for minority is one thing. You can do that without telling someone they are talking bollocks when there is clear and unequivocal evidence to the contrary.

evidence to the contrary

i live in bare as well,,..........whats your point :!:
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby parceldave » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:31 pm

The report issued in September 1995 by the Panel undertaking the examination recommended that the Lancaster Western Bypass be deleted from the Structure Plan because of its potential visual and environmental impacts,

So who would look out of their bedroom window and see a flyover, im sure the Northern route would have a far greater visual impact and personal impact if you live in Torrisholme, obviously newts are more important than humans. I wonder how big an environmental and visual impact the M6 had when it was extended from Carnforth to Carlisle. Hmm. So if the Northern Route has been on the cards since 1949 , why the hell was the college built where it is . :roll:
parceldave

Postby marky » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:41 pm

shrimpnsave wrote: evidence to the contrary

i live in bare as well,,..........whats your point :!:

In terms of Bare, my point is I know fine well that the benefits of a link road far outweight the negatives. However, you've totally misunderstood me. The link I posted contained clear evidence that the bypass has been part of the planning process for over 60 years. Evidence clearly supporting the fact I most certainly wasn't taking bollocks...
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby shrimpnsave » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:09 pm

taking bollocks...

or talkin the same :lol: :lol:
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby Keith » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:05 am

shrimpnsave wrote:It's been on the table since the 60s ffs!!!

absolute bollacks,substaniate what u just posted????

Okay, so you talk bollocks and demand someone substantiates a claim for you. They do so and you reckon you don't need to apologies simply because the person who gives you the proof doesn't live in Torrisholme? Yup, you sound exactly like the people who are making further objections.

Why shouldn't they complain? Simple, because they had the opportunity to do so at the first public enquiry.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Richard Head » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:58 pm

Its a pity the supporters of the link road on here didnt bother getting off their arse to put their support in writing when they had the chance. Approximately 480 people sent in letters objecting to the road and 2 sent letters supporting it.

Any guesses what the final cost of the road would be if it ever went ahead. In 2005 the cost was given as £85million but now i see it has risen to £140million
Richard Head

Postby morecambe mick » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:51 pm

Write some more letters of complaint to get the cost up further then :!:
morecambe mick

Postby Splodge » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:26 pm

Richard Head wrote:Its a pity the supporters of the link road on here didnt bother getting off their arse to put their support in writing when they had the chance. Approximately 480 people sent in letters objecting to the road and 2 sent letters supporting it.

Perhaps because as far as us supporters were aware, it was all done and dusted!
Splodge

Postby Posh » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:51 pm

Just to let you know that the the second enquiry was expected by the County Council. The scope of the enquiry is much narrower and doesn't relate to the scheme as a whole but instead to elements of the scheme which come with more detailed plans and compulsory purchases.

From what I understand there were about 40 letters in support of the scheme and 400 against or raising issues. Most of the complaints (about 350) will be disregarded as they don't relate to those individual elements but instead to the scheme as a whole.

What the inquiry will deal with is specific complaints related to elements of the scheme of which only a few are from private individuals, the rest with one notable exception are companies. These include Holiday Inn regarding the new bridge over the Lune; McDonalds; Torrisholme Cricket Club; and, sadly in my view, Lancaster & Morecambe College whose reasons are political in nature, as they have been fully aware of the scheme for decades and they will get a lot in return for the acquisition of land.

The notable exception I mentioned above is Morecambe Town Council, the only elected body to make any sort of complaint, despite only a very small section of road passing through its parish boundaries. From what I understand this is a bit of a surprise to civil servants and has widened the scope of the elements covered in the enquiry at a direct cost to the taxpayer who fund the enquiry and to Morecambe Town Council who have to now be represented at the enquiry.

In my view the enquiry will only help to move the scheme forward and they won't go backwards. This enquiry will rule whether companies and individuals claims are justified or not, and whether the County Council should amend small parts of their scheme. The question to ask is whether the Town Council are mischief-making because of their supposed mandate and in so doing adding unnecessary cost to a taxpayer funded enquiry that is not there to judge on the scheme itself. Surely the purpose of the Town Council was to drive Morecambe forward, instead it seems hell-bent on sending it backwards through its inept handling of this issue, the Winter Gardens and so much more. Thank God for Morecambe FC, which will create more jobs through the new stadium and the Sainsburys scheme than the Town Council will in a lifetime.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby scar » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:05 pm

Cracking reply Mike, was just about to add something about the scope of the inquiry being far norrower than thevast majority of the complainants would like.

Am very surprised at Morecambe Town Councils objection - what's their grounds for this and what exactly are they objecting to? Or is it a case of strong support from the Torrisholme ward for the presiding councillors that they feel they need to object to keep the voters happy?
scar

Postby Splodge » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:17 pm

Thanks for that Posh, glad you could make it a little clearer!
Splodge

Postby John L » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:25 am

marky wrote:It's been on the table since the 60s ffs!!!

shrimpnsave wrote:absolute bollacks,substaniate what u just posted????

marky wrote:http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/environment/env_highways/roads/heysham/timetable.asp

I was wrong, try 1949! I'll accept the apology you owe me :)

You were right, Marky!
The 1962 Lancashire Development Plan identified the Morecambe Link Road in the Lancaster, Morecambe and Heysham Town Map. The Link Road extended along a corridor northeastwards from Morecambe Road to the west of the Lancaster and Morecambe College before turning eastwards to the northeast of Torrisholme to connect with the Lancaster Bypass (future M6) at a junction north of the River Lune. Subsequently Lancaster City Council protected a corridor of land between Morecambe Road and Torrisholme Road and beyond and a plan of a “Corridor of Protection for Highway” was produced by Lancashire County Council for blight purposes. As a consequence, Lancashire County Council acquired areas of land south of Torrisholme Road in 1966 and 1974 as they lay within the protected corridor.
John L

Postby Richard Head » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:27 am

Instead of moaning about the traffic, if some of the lardarses on here got some excercise by walking or cycling or even used public transport then perhaps we wouldnt need a link road
Richard Head

Postby Mark S » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:01 pm

¥ou can always tell when an arguement is lost when one of the parties resorts to name calling.
Mark S

Postby Posh » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:44 pm

Richard Head wrote:Instead of moaning about the traffic, if some of the lardarses on here got some excercise by walking or cycling or even used public transport then perhaps we wouldnt need a link road

Quite right potential visitors to the seaside town of Morecambe from places like Newcastle, Derby etc. should all get on their pushbikes, the frail, the elderly, the disabled - lazy arses the lot of them.

As for the haulage drivers going to Heysham Port in ever growing numbers I fully expect them to carry their 10 ton loads on their backs or drag it up to the docks. That'll burn off those breakfasts.

The unemployed living in Morecambe who may be able to get a construction job on the bypass or the nuclear plant, which relies on the bypass, however should continue to slob in front of the telly and get more lardy because some people don't want this investment to happen.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Richard Head » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:46 pm

I dont think the argument has been lost just yet. To be honest i would say that the odds are that the link road will go ahead but there is a general election coming up soon and who knows what a new government might bring.

Its pointless getting into an argument. Most of those supporting the link road live well away from the affected area and those opposing it live near it.

If it is built it wont really affect me, i wont be able to see it and if i am going into Lancaster i usually walk it. If i am heading for the motorway even at the busy times in very rarely takes more than 15 minutes which isnt a great hardship, i just take that into account when i am estimating my journey time.

Anyway dont most people who come off the M6 at junction 34 at a busy time who want to get to this side of the river go over Denny Beck? They could just spend a few quid making that 2 way and save £140million :D
Richard Head

Postby Christies Child » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:07 pm

Posh wrote:
Richard Head wrote:Instead of moaning about the traffic, if some of the lardarses on here got some excercise by walking or cycling or even used public transport then perhaps we wouldnt need a link road

Quite right potential visitors to the seaside town of Morecambe from places like Newcastle, Derby etc. should all get on their pushbikes, the frail, the elderly, the disabled - lazy arses the lot of them.

As for the haulage drivers going to Heysham Port in ever growing numbers I fully expect them to carry their 10 ton loads on their backs or drag it up to the docks. That'll burn off those breakfasts.

The unemployed living in Morecambe who may be able to get a construction job on the bypass or the nuclear plant, which relies on the bypass, however should continue to slob in front of the telly and get more lardy because some people don't want this investment to happen.

......and those on JSA would welcome construction jobs especially when their entitlement runs out after 6 months and then get SFA if their partners earns £160 a week!
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Posh » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:13 pm

Richard Head wrote:Its pointless getting into an argument. Most of those supporting the link road live well away from the affected area and those opposing it live near it.

Usually in our area its the minority who win because they get backed by the rest of the lunatic fringe, i.e. Geraldine Smith and the MBI.

Its ironic you mention people getting on their bikes. The last proposed new transport infrastructure would have seen the Lune Valley walking and cycle path extended from Bull Beck, just past Caton up to Hornby. Tens of thousands who use the path backed it, all councils backed it, national groups backed it, people of Hornby backed it, etc. etc. Instead Geraldine supported seven Claughton residents, including two children, who didn't want it coming round the back of their houses along a railway track that they'd effectively stolen. Guess who won?
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Brian C » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:32 pm

Thought you may be interested in the latest view from the college principal:-

"The Heysham M6 link road is still bubbling along. Our relations with Lancashire County Council are very good. Having put our objections together, we are currently negotiating through these. Apparently, in total, there were 18 statutory objections, 14 letters of support and 463 non-statutory objections (hundreds of these are standard letters signed by householders). The expected public enquiry is likely to be held in Lancaster, sometime in June. At this stage, I am very optimistic we will have resolved our objections before then and, therefore, won’t need to be present at the enquiry."
Brian C

Postby skyecat » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:12 pm

Richard Head wrote:Anyway dont most people who come off the M6 at junction 34 at a busy time who want to get to this side of the river go over Denny Beck? They could just spend a few quid making that 2 way and save £140million :D

Hey, that's a great idea, widen Denny Beck Lane, put a roundabout in at the top, on Caton Road, build a new bridge and get hundreds if not thousands of cars heading through Halton, Caton, Slyne Bolton Le Sands and Hest Bank every day.
The best mind-altering drug is the truth - Lily Tomlin
skyecat

Postby campdave » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:13 pm

Posh wrote:Its ironic you mention people getting on their bikes. The last proposed new transport infrastructure would have seen the Lune Valley walking and cycle path extended from Bull Beck, just past Caton up to Hornby. Tens of thousands who use the path backed it, all councils backed it, national groups backed it, people of Hornby backed it, etc. etc. Instead Geraldine supported seven Claughton residents, including two children, who didn't want it coming round the back of their houses along a railway track that they'd effectively stolen. Guess who won?

My girlfriend was at that meeting in Claughton. She said it was embarassing - people worried it would become a local buggery hotspot :lol:
campdave

Previous

Return to General Discussion