O/T WARNING INTERNET EXPLORER 7 DOWNLOAD

O/T WARNING INTERNET EXPLORER 7 DOWNLOAD

Postby Christies Child » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:04 pm

DO NOT DOWNLOAD A NEW VERSION OF THE ABOVE EVEN THOUGH YOU MAY GET AN E-MAIL FROM MICROSOFT ASKING YOU TO DO SO.

ATTACHED TO THE DOWNLOAD IS A NASTY BUG ANTIVIRUS XP2008 WHICH PLAYS BLOODY HAVOC WITH YOUR SYSTEM.

IT'S A NASTY SOD FROM SOMEBODY WHO WANTS YOU TO GIVE THEM YOUR CREDIT CARD DETAILS IN RETURN FOR SOME SOFTWARE THAT WILL GET RID OF ANTIVIRUS XP2008

IT'S COST ME A FEW QUID TO GET A TECHNICIAN TO RETrIEVE MY XP SYSTEM THIS MORNING

THANKFULLY I DIDN'T PROVIDE THE DETAILS OF MY CARD BUT THE MICROSOFT MESSAGE APPEARS GENUINE AND HAS FOOLED A HELL OF A LOT OF PEOPLE INCLUDING SOME IT EXPERTS

YOU'VE BEEN WARNED
Neil Roebuck
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Re: O/T WARNING INTERNET EXPLORER 7 DOWNLOAD

Postby Why no t » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:43 pm

I never reply to anything saying they have found viruses and if you pay this amount we will get rid of it for you.

Well not anymore anyway.

A few years ago a pop up came on the screen saying we had viruses and all we did was click on it to see what it had found. What a mistake that was, we decided not to go ahead with paying anything, but it was to late. It was already in the system. Over a short period of time the system started slowing down and in the end nothing worked. We had to have the system completely wiped out and start from scratch. What a pain that is.

I would not advise people to click on anything that pops up and asks you "If you give us X amount of pounds we will rid your system of the viruses that you have"

If you are not sure, ask somebody who does know. It's not worth the risk.

Oh I forgot to mention, they found over 800 viruses, worms, trojans and the like.

Be careful what you click on.
Life without football is.......
Why no t

Postby Christies Child » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:16 pm

The problem with this bug is that when you download what looks like an official Microsoft request....you are hooked.

There have been reports of even some expert IT guys being fooled.
Christies Child

Postby John L » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:43 pm

I always make sure that any security and software updates come through the proper channels, eg. Windows Update website or the Security Center download icon (a yellow shield), or my registered third-party anti-virus software. It's easy to say it with hindsight, but NEVER get involved with ANY other e-mails or pop-ups claiming to be from other parties, whether or not they look genuine! Hopefully your system will be fine from now on, Neil! ;)
John L

Postby Christies Child » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:48 pm

John L wrote:I always make sure that any security and software updates come through the proper channels, eg. Windows Update website or the Security Center download icon (a yellow shield), or my registered third-party anti-virus software. It's easy to say it with hindsight, but NEVER get involved with ANY other e-mails or pop-ups claiming to be from other parties, whether or not they look genuine! Hopefully your system will be fine from now on, Neil! ;)

Cheers John....System seems OK.

Problem(s) with this user still exists though!

:oops: :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Christies Child

Postby John L » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:05 pm

Christies Child wrote:
John L wrote:I always make sure that any security and software updates come through the proper channels, eg. Windows Update website or the Security Center download icon (a yellow shield), or my registered third-party anti-virus software. It's easy to say it with hindsight, but NEVER get involved with ANY other e-mails or pop-ups claiming to be from other parties, whether or not they look genuine! Hopefully your system will be fine from now on, Neil! ;)

Yes, you seem to have more problems than a Morecambe defence!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
;)
John L

Postby Christies Child » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:36 pm

John L wrote:
Christies Child wrote:

Yes, you seem to have more problems than a Morecambe defence!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
;)

Steady.......it (the defence) is not that bad!!!!!
Christies Child

Postby heysham_mfc » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:32 pm

I have my e-mail set up to automatic delete e-mails like this
heysham_mfc

Return to General Discussion