O/T New Burnley Manager

O/T New Burnley Manager

Postby Christies Child » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:04 pm

Brian Laws the ex Clarets player has been appointed as their new manager.

I bet he can't believe his luck. Effectively sacked by Shef. Wednesday and now put in charge of a Premiership club.... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Funny old game football.

Just hope that Jim gets the Kiddy job!
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Re: O/T New Burnley Manager

Postby RedRedWine1 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:07 pm

Who is going down with Burnley then? This smacks of Bolton 3 years ago (ironic), appointing a crap manager after a good one.
RedRedWine1

Postby Christies Child » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:13 pm

RedRedWine wrote:Who is going down with Burnley then? This smacks of Bolton 3 years ago (ironic), appointing a crap manager after a good one.

A classic case of 'punching above their weight'.... :?: :?: :?:

No wonder Coyle left.
Christies Child

Postby steve mfc » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:25 pm

On the BBC site there is a poll which asks the question is Brian Laws the right manager for Burnley?, 65% say no and 19% not sure only 16% say yes, seems like he has a hard job winning over the fans.
steve mfc

Postby heysham_mfc » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:49 pm

I think he will keep them up they have been doing very well at home just need to sort out the away record now.
heysham_mfc

Postby mrpotatohead » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:48 pm

As a morecambe supporter, but a burnley fan, I can see a complete lack of ambition by burnleys board in this decision, it looks like they have opted for the only candidate that was not going to cost them anything,short term that is :roll:
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby NeilG » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:11 pm

mrpotatohead wrote:As a morecambe supporter, but a burnley fan, I can see a complete lack of ambition by burnleys board in this decision, it looks like they have opted for the only candidate that was not going to cost them anything,short term that is :roll:

Maybe it's a very shrewd move, the compensation Burnley would have to have paid Doncaster for O'Driscoll plus what they get from Bolton can now be given to Brian Laws to spend on his squad ???
NeilG

Postby mrpotatohead » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:52 pm

i hope that is the case, but i think that burnleys board are probably treating this years profit as dividends given the lack of investment since going up, i think coyle went because he had not been given anything to spend in the window,time will tell.
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby Morecamber » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:25 pm

Laws probably wasn't there first choice manager, Kilby coming out saying he was i'm not overly sure. Yes, they could have paid 980k compensation to Donny for there manager. However, is he going to be worth 890k in the long shot, it could afterall be spent on players or improving the ground. Also, Laws is worth a shout. There is some money in there, 3.6 million extra after Coyle left. Theres already been a few money bids for a defender and a few more.

Only time will tell.
Morecamber

Postby Caged Lion » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:38 pm

mrpotatohead wrote:i hope that is the case, but i think that burnleys board are probably treating this years profit as dividends given the lack of investment since going up, i think coyle went because he had not been given anything to spend in the window,time will tell.

Even if he had a coupla million to splash on mediocre players Coil got out at the right time because the Clarets are likely to find it a more difficult second half of the season. A couple of good loan players are their best bet now.

It should be remembered that most Burnley fans didn't know who Coil was when he first arrived and have enjoyed astonishing success under him, so a failing manager like Laws was never likely to be popular.
Caged Lion

Postby The Marksman » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:14 pm

mrpotatohead wrote:i hope that is the case, but i think that burnleys board are probably treating this years profit as dividends given the lack of investment since going up, i think coyle went because he had not been given anything to spend in the window,time will tell.

To be fair, they could do a lot worse than bank the money, prepare for relegation and make sure they have a top notch Championship squad for next season. A few years of yo-yo-ing would provide extra cash for a push to get up and stay up without breaking the bank.
The Marksman

Postby Keith » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:53 pm

The Marksman wrote:

To be fair, they could do a lot worse than bank the money, prepare for relegation and make sure they have a top notch Championship squad for next season. A few years of yo-yo-ing would provide extra cash for a push to get up and stay up without breaking the bank.

100% agree. That's where Derby screwed up, pushing to stay in the Premiership, lost a good manager, went down anyway but with a much more expensive squad. This season, spend only a small amount of money wisely, invest in facilities, including youth. Then, staying up will be an enormous bonus but if they go down, they will be very well placed to come straight back up.

The Burnley fan in the house was rooting for Mark Hughes to be appointed!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Caged Lion » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:10 pm

Keith wrote:100% agree. That's where Derby screwed up, pushing to stay in the Premiership, lost a good manager, went down anyway but with a much more expensive squad. This season, spend only a small amount of money wisely, invest in facilities, including youth. Then, staying up will be an enormous bonus but if they go down, they will be very well placed to come straight back up.

The Burnley fan in the house was rooting for Mark Hughes to be appointed!

Quite. Several clubs have remained profitable and provided the fans with plenty of excitement by doing the Prem relegation battle, followed by a couple of seasons at the top of the Championship and getting revenue for play-offs. Mebbe that is where Burnley fit nicely?

Mark Hughes?? :roll:
Caged Lion

Postby heysham_mfc » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:31 pm

mrpotatohead wrote:As a morecambe supporter, but a burnley fan, I can see a complete lack of ambition by burnleys board in this decision, it looks like they have opted for the only candidate that was not going to cost them anything,short term that is :roll:

same thing
heysham_mfc

Postby Christies Child » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:39 pm

Big mate of Mark Lillis who was also his assistant when Laws was the Scunny manager.

Loan deals with Burnley on the horizon?
Christies Child

Return to General Discussion