Christies child arena

Re: Christies child arena

Postby Christies Child » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:35 pm

Morecambe Jack wrote:Very dissappointing in my opinion. I was under the same impression as RRW that the stand would be similar in size to the North Stand but reduced in capacity because of the "gaps" (for want of a better word) to get through to the catering facilities underneath the stand. Obviously this has been cut back along with not having a roof on the new north stand.

Have you actually been down to the site to have a look at the Home Stand? If not may i suggest you make comments about what it will be like after you've actually seen what is being created.

The facts are that the new stand was NEVER going to be a replica of the current North Stand. The new stand is 2/3rds the size of the current home end; based purely on capacity figures of both. If it's based on the terracing principles of the existing stand ( and from seeing the first terrace sections going in this afternoon) it will have 16 terraced steps as opposed to the 25 at present. Each step will measure approximately the same as the present one ie 8" high and 15" deep. Granted the stand height will not be the same, but as previously said it, the last set of plans clearly show that AND why should the club build an identical capacity stand when at the best it will only be used by circa 1500 on normal match days?

As for the catering area beneath the stand. I'm confident after having seen some of the construction team working underneath the terracing that there will be ample room for circulation for the Pie and Peas or pint of Bitter brigades.

The first terraced sections went in place earlier today and IF following the present North Stand principles are constructed of an inverted L shape section (measuring approx 30" deep by 16" high) on top of which is placed a further terrace in the shape of either a box section or a U shape section, each measuring approx 15" deep by 8" high.

Unfortunately I couldn't get any photos of the sections on this occassion.
Last edited by Christies Child on Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby steve mfc » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:51 pm

The fact is the new home stand was going to be the same size as the North Stand with a slightly reduced capacity because you would enter through a opening onto the terrace rather than from the side as we do now. Because the build wasn't going to come in on budget ( do they ever ) the new stand has been down sized to match the away end.
steve mfc

Postby Trevor » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:06 pm

steve mfc wrote:The fact is the new home stand was going to be the same size as the North Stand with a slightly reduced capacity because you would enter through a opening onto the terrace rather than from the side as we do now. Because the build wasn't going to come in on budget ( do they ever ) the new stand has been down sized to match the away end.

Aye - in terms of size of the outer structure of the stand but the home end will have a significantly bigger capacity as it wil have more steps of terracing.

Thing about all this is that is it werent for the directors this town doesnt support the club well enough to expect a football league club or a brand new stadium capable of brigning in money to help it stand on it's own two feet.

Theyve looked after the club and seen it grow better than we have a right to expect. Theres nothing wrong with putting forward opinions and thats what this board is all about - fair enough.

But maybe we should just let them get on with it, manage the finances in the good way they have done and look forward to what the new stadium WILL have rather than concentrate on what it won't.

I do thin as well - like Burnley Shrimp - that quite a few people will take advantage of the great new facilities (bars - restaurants etc) in the new main stand and move over to that side - not just corporates but mates who want a bite to eat and a relaxed drink before the game - or after.

Ive usually stood on the north stand but I may go to the main stand at the new place.
Trevor

Postby Christies Child » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:19 pm

The first design plans issued for public viewing on 5 February 2008 show a Home Stand capacity of 2465.

The latest and to build plans show a Home Stand capacity of 2234.

The current North Stand has a capacity of +3000.

The new away end has a capacity of 1389.

To loose a capacity of only 231 from original design plans to build plans is a credible achievement by all concerned in my opinion.
Christies Child

Postby Morecambe Jack » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:28 pm

CC I have seen the new stand but perhaps not as closely as you have. Im not disheartened by the reduced capacity at all, merely the size of the structure.

Have you got a link to those original plans by any chance?
Morecambe Jack

Postby steve mfc » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:33 pm

Christies Child wrote:The first design plans issued for public viewing on 5 February 2008 show a Home Stand capacity of 2465.

The latest and to build plans show a Home Stand capacity of 2234.

The current North Stand has a capacity of +3000.

The new away end has a capacity of 1389.

To loose a capacity of only 231 from original design plans to build plans is a credible achievement by all concerned in my opinion.

The only reason that the capacity has been reduced by just 231 is probably because the planned entrance onto the terrace from below the stand has now been scrapped and we are reverting to the current arrangement for entering and exiting the home end via the side.
steve mfc

Postby Christies Child » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:44 pm

Morecambe Jack wrote:CC I have seen the new stand but perhaps not as closely as you have. Im not disheartened by the reduced capacity at all, merely the size of the structure.

Have you got a link to those original plans by any chance?

MJ......You've got a PM......
Christies Child

Postby campdave » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:58 pm

Genuine question for those who are disappointed with the stadium: would you rather the money was spend on the playing squad or in the stadium?
campdave

Postby steve mfc » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:07 pm

campdave wrote:Genuine question for those who are disappointed with the stadium: would you rather the money was spend on the playing squad or in the stadium?

Stadium first, then long term we might have more money to spend on the Squad.

As far as the stadium is concerned im sure the board are as disappointed as anyone regarding the enforced changes, but i don't think anyone is implying any criticism towards them far from it i would say.
steve mfc

Postby Christies Child » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:09 pm

campdave wrote:Genuine question for those who are disappointed with the stadium: would you rather the money was spend on the playing squad or in the stadium?

I'm no way disappointed with the Stadium other than the loss of the extra covered accomodation opposite the main stand but I understand the logic.

As for the question, without doubt the Stadium. The Stadium has longevity...players come and go and are always a gamble ( even Mr Connerton!)
Christies Child

Postby Burnley Shrimp » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:31 pm

steve mfc wrote:

Stadium first, then long term we might have more money to spend on the Squad.

As far as the stadium is concerned im sure the board are as disappointed as anyone regarding the enforced changes, but i don't think anyone is implying any criticism towards them far from it i would say.

In all the years I have read this forum I don't think I have ever read a single word of criticism towards our chairman and board of directors, (this must be unique on club forums). I think we all realise just how lucky we are to have such a solid group looking after the interests of our club! Any dissapointment is more due to preconceived ideas we have all developed about the particular area of the stadium we like to watch our football from.

I must admit I had a vision of a large warm comfortable area under the home end, equipped with TV's and seating. It probably isn't going to happen but we all realise that the money only goes so far and by far the most important area for cash generation and future development will be the main stand which should be very plush.

In respect of Campdaves question, stadium or squad? Thats easy. Leave it to the board, they very much seem to have achieved the balancing act so far!
Burnley Shrimp

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:30 pm

steve mfc wrote:The fact is the new home stand was going to be the same size as the North Stand with a slightly reduced capacity because you would enter through a opening onto the terrace rather than from the side as we do now. Because the build wasn't going to come in on budget ( do they ever ) the new stand has been down sized to match the away end.

I dont think that would have reduced the capacity. If they aren't putting entrances onto the terrace then there would be more terracing and increased capacity.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby Caged Lion » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:05 pm

I doubt anybody is going to be disappointed in the stadium. It is going to be a great experience for any long term Morecambe fan to see the new development. Since moving into the Football League the club has forged ahead tremendously, and there is no reason to think it will go backward.

The new home terracing seems small but we will get used to it quickly, and with improved facilities and possibly a better atmosphere any new fans may well enjoy themselves enough to return.

Without a new stadium there would be little progress.
Caged Lion

Postby heysham_mfc » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:48 pm

Caged Lion wrote:

I doubt anybody is going to be disappointed in the stadium. It is going to be a great experience for any long term Morecambe fan to see the new development. Since moving into the Football League the club has forged ahead tremendously, and there is no reason to think it will go backward.

The new home terracing seems small but we will get used to it quickly, and with improved facilities and possibly a better atmosphere any new fans may well enjoy themselves enough to return.

Without a new stadium there would be little progress.

there would be no progress as Christie Park would not come up to the standard required so if the club were not moving money would still have to be spent on Christie Park for us to be able to continue playing there.
heysham_mfc

Postby Harry » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:50 am

Whenever I drive past the ground I notice how big the main stand is - the new home end will be a bit smaller but not as titchy as Burton's, and if anyone was expecting a high class drinking establishment at the home end at current admission prices, they're believing the hype a bit too much :lol:
Harry

Postby campdave » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:57 am

Caged Lion wrote:I doubt anybody is going to be disappointed in the stadium.

I guess I'm a pessamist, but I reckon there will be a small but vocal set of whingers when we move.
campdave

Postby Christies Child » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:08 am

campdave wrote:
Caged Lion wrote:I doubt anybody is going to be disappointed in the stadium.

I guess I'm a pessamist, but I reckon there will be a small but vocal set of whingers when we move.

There will always be those CD who can find fault with everything. Thankfully they will be a very, very small minority.

The vast majority of us realise the signficance of what is happening and more importantly why.

Personally i can't wait and I admit that my all too frequent visits to the new development are because I'm bloody excited and also 'I'm a nosey buggar'...... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Christies Child

Postby Caged Lion » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:48 am

Harry wrote:............................and if anyone was expecting a high class drinking establishment at the home end at current admission prices, they're believing the hype a bit too much :lol:

I know admission prices have been discussed recently on here, but I fail to understand why some fans think it is a good idea to keep prices low. The new stadium should start with 'fair' prices, in my opinion that would be well above those we currently pay.

Morecambe fans are used to paying very little for a high standard of entertainment. A few more quid per game would still be great value, and help fund a 'high class drinking establishment' to entice loads of 'high class' fans :P
Caged Lion

Postby North Stand Shrimp » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:34 am

Totally agree with caged lion, I expect to pay a few quid more in the new stadium, in return I would expect some good facilities. An warm indoor bar and food outlet would a basic minimum.

If there isn't one in the new home end I'll just have to sit in the main stand instead. My only hope is that we don't get ripped off with the food and drink, as it seems that is the norm these days with these new stadia. £3.50 for a bottle of beer or £3 for a pie and you simply won't find me buying any at the ground, but I'm sure that won't be the case as the club know how fickle we all are when it comes to prices! :lol:
North Stand Shrimp

Postby Christies Child » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:18 pm

I suspect that the vast majority of supporters recognise the need for our club to become more commercially minded in all its dealings.

However I hope that it doesn't follow other clubs and bring in new suppliers who, as is examplified at other clubs, rip off the fans by charging excessive prices for food and beverages etc.

I'm sure I speak for everybody who wishes us to retain our loyalties to traditional local suppliers who have served both fan and club alike over the seasons. Our club has a reputation of being a family club. This has been developed over the years and it would be criminal to loose that tradition by introducing pricing policies of other clubs, whose only aim is to increase profit at the expense of the fans, who are the life and blood of any club.

Better to sell a lot at an affordable level...than few at an exorbitant price!
Christies Child

Postby RedRedWine1 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:25 pm

Heysham_Shrimp wrote:

I dont think that would have reduced the capacity. If they aren't putting entrances onto the terrace then there would be more terracing and increased capacity.

I think you've got a bit confused. As I read it Steve and a few others have commented that in the original plans the home end would have been roughly a similar since to the north stand, reduced in capacity due to proposed access points along the front (at one stage weren't the club looking at the feasibility of moving the current North stand?).

Since then the plans have been revised completely. Now we are to have a stand in the same style as the North stand (access from the sides), only smaller with a resulting lower capacity. One thing is for sure, it's going to look nothing like that ridiculous video that we paid somebody to put together, something I said at the time when everybody was creaming themselves over it. We're basically getting a new Christie park with a smaller home end, the required number of seats, corporate facilities, and better prospects of income streams from non-footballing activities. We'll probably be able to make a better atmosphere in the new home end, closer together and a shallower roof.
RedRedWine1

Postby Christies Child » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:41 pm

RedRedWine wrote:
Heysham_Shrimp wrote:

I think you've got a bit confused. As I read it Steve and a few others have commented that in the original plans the home end would have been roughly a similar since to the north stand, reduced in capacity due to proposed access points along the front (at one stage weren't the club looking at the feasibility of moving the current North stand?).

Since then the plans have been revised completely. Now we are to have a stand in the same style as the North stand (access from the sides), only smaller with a resulting lower capacity. One thing is for sure, it's going to look nothing like that ridiculous video that we paid somebody to put together, something I said at the time when everybody was creaming themselves over it. We're basically getting a new Christie park with a smaller home end, the required number of seats, corporate facilities, and better prospects of income streams from non-footballing activities. We'll probably be able to make a better atmosphere in the new home end, closer together and a shallower roof.

....that's a bit harsh. :shock:

The video was produced as a promotional tool to sell the concept to both fan and potential investors alike. Modern marketing techniques always include such presentations and if nothing else it got all our taste buds going at the prospect of what could and ultimately will be delivered.

As for the cost, knowing from experience the cost of such packages and the fact that it was produced by a supporter of the club I'm confident that you would be surprised how little the actual cost was in relation to the bigger picture.
Christies Child

Postby P/T Indie » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:20 pm

On the pricing I think £15 to stand & £16 to sit seems to be reasonable for this league.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby shrimper » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:50 pm

RedRedWine wrote:We're basically getting a new Christie park with a smaller home end, the required number of seats, corporate facilities, and better prospects of income streams from non-footballing activities. We'll probably be able to make a better atmosphere in the new home end, closer together and a shallower roof.

Just so people don't take that as being dismissive of the actual improvement we're going to get....the facilities in the main stand will be far superior for everyone (not just corporate clients) and may persuade more of us to, say, bring our families more, have a spot of lunch before the game or hang about a bit afterwards in some comfort.

And the training and gym facilities will be far better for the players and coaching staff.

The accommodation and facilities in the new main stand and in the community building opposite will bring the place into use for almost all the year, nearly every day. That will have the knock-on effect of more people coming into regular contact with the club for a variety of (non-football) reasons which may then help the club attract new fans, sponsors etc.

It may also mean that those of us who play 5-a-side, hockey, netball or pub-quiz or just like a pint on a Friday night might choose the new stadium as a venue.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby campdave » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:13 pm

P/T Indie wrote:On the pricing I think £15 to stand & £16 to sit seems to be reasonable for this league.

Personally, it's over-priced in my opinion for tier 4 football, but that's football in this country. I've bought two tickets to a Ligue 1 match for less than your proposed prices. There's a reason why stadiums up and down the country are deserted.
campdave

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion