O/T Sand to clear footpaths?

O/T Sand to clear footpaths?

Postby Christies Child » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:16 am

Some Southern coastal towns are using sand from local beaches to make footpaths and minor roads safe on which to venture.

Why can't we as a coastal town in the North along with Blackpool and Southport do the same?

Is it an environmental issue?
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Re: O/T Sand to clear footpaths?

Postby Shire Shrimp » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:08 pm

Driving through Lancaster this morning it looks as though sand has been spread across pavements in the centre and on some side streets for extra grip. Not sure why its taken so long to do though.
Shire Shrimp

Postby George Dawes » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:56 pm

and who's going to do it?

the Council have all there spare men gardeners etc who cant work because the ground is frozen are helping the refuse collector's and recycling collections who are struggling with the bad weather

so who's going to do it ?
George Dawes

Postby campdave » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:39 pm

Perhaps after paying so much to import the sand, the council are rather loath to chuck it all over the pavements (even though when there's a wind, most of it ends up there anyway).
campdave

Postby Shire Shrimp » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:27 pm

DawZi wrote:who's going to do it?

Exactly, who has done it? The Council have obviously managed to find resources somewhere to be able to do this now, but where from and why couldn't they do it sooner? There's bound to be a perfectly reasonable explanation.

I don't mean to sound like I'm having a pop at the council, I'm just curious. I know that they are doing the best they can with the resources available to them and I'm sure that there are staff who havent had a day off since the New Year. Hats off to them. It can't be an easy job juggling these resources around, which makes it all the more interesting to know how they're managing to do what they are doing.
Shire Shrimp

Postby mrg1309 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:08 pm

There is sand on the footpaths around most of Morecambe Town Centre/Promenade area, although I'm not sure how long it's been there for.
mrg1309

Postby Weetabix Kid » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:55 pm

Think I saw that in Liverpool they were using prisoners to grit the roads?

Chain up all the scroats from Lancaster Farms, give them some plastic sandcastle buckets and spades and let them crack on! sorted
Weetabix Kid

Postby shrimpnsave » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:57 pm

Weetabix Kid wrote:Think I saw that in Liverpool they were using prisoners to grit the roads?

Chain up all the scroats from Lancaster Farms, give them some plastic sandcastle buckets and spades and let them crack on! sorted

well done..couldnt agree more :lol: :lol:
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby eggchaser » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:46 pm

they say that all the council workers are busy helping out in other sectors of the council but I sh!t you not I saw four lancaster city council workers alongside morecambe bus station, trimming the hedges (that were covered in snow) complete madness!!
Football is a gentleman's game, played by thugs
and Rugby is a thug's game, played by gentleman
eggchaser

Postby Christies Child » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:47 pm

Weetabix Kid wrote:Think I saw that in Liverpool they were using prisoners to grit the roads?

So we follow the Yanks and introduce Chain Gangs....mmm.....Don't think so!

Why not ask those on JSA (like myself) to help out? I'd certainly do it in my community if I was asked BUT there may be a problem with Insurance in case of injury..... :?: :?: :?:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby wijit » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:53 pm

Why object to this idea, CC? These people have taken an option to go against right minded, law abiding folk to satisfy their own selfish mean. That is regardless of their crime. Their "punishment" is to be housed, at our expense, in comfortable, heated/air conditioned rooms. they are fed and watered, they pay nothing towards this instead allowing us to foot the bills.
In addition to this, they get educated, they will recieve (depending on their crime) treatment which will convince them they are not after all responsible for what they did, instead, it is the fault of society for letting them slip through the social net.
Chain gangs? why not? Why not make them work in public, for the benfit of the same public they decided to go against and land themselves in this hell-hole of an institution?
wijit

Postby shrimpnsave » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:55 pm

BALL and CHAIN thatll do................
football is a funny old game
shrimpnsave

Postby Richard Head » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:17 pm

Apart from the odd day our road has been virtually impassable since before Christmas with no sign of any grit. Now it has all melted away the council gritter has just been round. Are they taking the piss :x
Richard Head

Postby campdave » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:31 pm

Richard Head wrote:Are they taking the piss :x

Most likely been keeping the main roads passable. Now that the main roads are thawing, I imagine they'll start working on making the more minor roads safe.
campdave

Postby Richard Head » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:41 pm

Dont know where you live mate but the main roads in Lancaster have been fine for ages whereas 4 side roads on Greaves have been closed by the police. Now our road is fine but the council came round and gritted the tarmac which seems a waste of resources
Richard Head

Postby campdave » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:50 pm

Richard Head wrote:Dont know where you live mate but the main roads in Lancaster have been fine for ages whereas 4 side roads on Greaves have been closed by the police. Now our road is fine but the council came round and gritted the tarmac which seems a waste of resources

Just offering a suggestion. It would require a massive tax hike for the council to have been able to able to grit all roads in the area over the last couple of weeks. I think they've done a good job given the sustained period of extreme cold.
campdave

Return to General Discussion