O/T Togo football team

O/T Togo football team

Postby heysham_mfc » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:33 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/8449319.stm
They should pull out if the team are not safe there
heysham_mfc

Re: O/T Togo football team

Postby George Dawes » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:55 pm

there's now 3 reported dead off that bus..

not a great advertisement for the world cup in South Africa, although police wont tolerate nonsense with fans over there

it's when traveling between games with venues miles apart where i think the problems are going to be

it's still not totally civilized in Africa
George Dawes

Postby campdave » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:41 pm

DawZi wrote:

not a great advertisement for the world cup in South Africa

Completely irrelevant.

Many will recall that in England, an IRA bomb exploded in the city of Manchester on the 15th of June, 1996. The very next day, Russia played Germany in Manchester at Old Trafford in Euro ‘96.

Excellent piece on some of the ignorant reporting in some of the newspapers here:

http://pitchinvasion.net/blog/2010/01/0 ... o-tragedy/

Terrible, terrible turn of events and shame on the CAF if they did come out and say "they should have travelled by air".
campdave

Postby George Dawes » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:42 pm

campdave wrote:
DawZi wrote:

not a great advertisement for the world cup in South Africa

Completely irrelevant.

Many will recall that in England, an IRA bomb exploded in the city of Manchester on the 15th of June, 1996. The very next day, Russia played Germany in Manchester at Old Trafford in Euro ‘96.

Excellent piece on some of the ignorant reporting in some of the newspapers here:

http://pitchinvasion.net/blog/2010/01/0 ... o-tragedy/

Terrible, terrible turn of events and shame on the CAF if they did come out and say "they should have travelled by air".

that doesn't hold water in reply :?

and Campdave the IRA in Manchester before euro-96 give a 5/10 min warning showing you could argue there's a civilized side?
George Dawes

Postby RedRedWine1 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:07 pm

You can't compare Angola to South Africa. One is a stable economically developing nation and member of the G20, the other has been ravaged by civil wars for the last 20 years. I personally don't believe the events in Angola reflect the chances of success for the forthcoming World Cup in South Africa.

However, I think the African football federation need to be accountable for their decision to host the Tournament in Angola in the first place. It seems a strange selection to me, equivalent to staging the Cricket World Cup in Afghanistan.
RedRedWine1

Postby George Dawes » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:34 pm

you can definitely compare football supporters personal safety in South Africa travling beetween games

my Father use to work there, and i use to have relatives what lived there up untill a few years ago

my brother went for his 40th to cape town to swim with great white sharks and got mugged at knife point outside the hotel at a cash point before for breakfast with the family
George Dawes

Return to General Discussion